Home Ice?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

inthetwine

Home Ice?

Post by inthetwine »

Provided Hill makes it to the section finals, are they the only team that gets to play the game on their home ice?
Jeffy95

Re: Home Ice?

Post by Jeffy95 »

inthetwine wrote:Provided Hill makes it to the section finals, are they the only team that gets to play the game on their home ice?
No, East does too. Just ask Elk River fans. 😀
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

It's too bad for some of the Twin Cities sections. They really lack that perfect section final venue. Mariucci is the only one with enough seating capacity but it isn't a great atmosphere with the olympic sheet. The ideal venue was on the State Fairgrounds at the Lee Warner Rose Colesium before they took the ice out. The 4 college teams outside of the cities have ideal venues for a section final.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Jeffy95 wrote:
inthetwine wrote:Provided Hill makes it to the section finals, are they the only team that gets to play the game on their home ice?
I thought Duluth East played their home games at the Heritage Center, and the section games are at Amsoil?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

inthetwine wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
I thought Duluth East played their home games at the Heritage Center, and the section games are at Amsoil?
They do, Jeffy95 was just taking a shot at ER fans :lol:
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:It's too bad for some of the Twin Cities sections. They really lack that perfect section final venue. Mariucci is the only one with enough seating capacity but it isn't a great atmosphere with the olympic sheet. The ideal venue was on the State Fairgrounds at the Lee Warner Rose Colesium before they took the ice out. The 4 college teams outside of the cities have ideal venues for a section final.
I agree and will add Mariucci is very expensive to rent.

1AA and 1A use the Rochester Rec Center, it is John Marshall's home ice, I don't know if they still practice there though. Century splits their home games between there and the fairgrounds and practice at the fairgrounds. I don't think Lourdes has played a regular season there in a few years. The Rec Center is used in the summer but not not much if at all by youth hockey above mites during the winter.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
inthetwine wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote: No, East does too. Just ask Elk River fans. 😀
They do, Jeffy95 was just taking a shot at ER fans :lol:
No arse kissing allowed boys :P
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

St Cloud Cathedral would be playing at home in the MAC
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

2A at Parade, home ice to Minneapolis

6A at MAC, home to Cathedral

8A at Warroad

1AA at Roch Rec Ctr, home ice to John Marshall. Century has used both RCC and Graham, this year only one home game at RCC but past years it's been more.

4AA at Aldrich, home to Hill Murray.

That's what I could dig up, might have missed some. And I only included sections where the final is at a home rink, didn't worry about semi-finals.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Is Ridder too small (3,400) to host for instance the Sec 2AA or 6AA finals?
gitter

Post by gitter »

Slap Shot wrote:Is Ridder too small (3,400) to host for instance the Sec 2AA or 6AA finals?
Yeah. Even in down attendance, Mariucci is half full (so 5,000 in attendance). And even at that, you still have the crossover from the 2nd game early arrivals, before the 1st game ends, and it swells to probably 7,500 for an hour or so.

Now the atmosphere would certainly be better at Ridder as you'd have a sellout in a small arena, all packed in. But the logistics as above would be a disaster with the 4 teams, you'd almost have to clear it out between games.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

What about Ridder for the 4AA final?
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Doc Holliday wrote:What about Ridder for the 4AA final?
Off the top of my head Aldrich has more seating than Ridder.
ramstein

Post by ramstein »

blueline_6 wrote:2A at Parade, home ice to Minneapolis

8A at Warroad

1AA at Roch Rec Ctr, home ice to John Marshall. Century has used both RCC and Graham, this year only one home game at RCC but past years it's been more.

That's what I could dig up, might have missed some. And I only included sections where the final is at a home rink, didn't worry about semi-finals.
8A rotates every year between EGF, TRF and Warroad where the semi and champions games are played so every third those teams get to host sections....Are the other sections like this or is the finals always in the same place?
blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 »

ramstein wrote:
blueline_6 wrote:2A at Parade, home ice to Minneapolis

8A at Warroad

8A rotates every year between EGF, TRF and Warroad where the semi and champions games are played so every third those teams get to host sections....Are the other sections like this or is the finals always in the same place?
Missed that. And I think 8AA does same thing between TRF, St. Cloud and Bemidji (I think?).

For most other sections the finals are in the same place every year.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:It's too bad for some of the Twin Cities sections. They really lack that perfect section final venue. Mariucci is the only one with enough seating capacity but it isn't a great atmosphere with the olympic sheet. The ideal venue was on the State Fairgrounds at the Lee Warner Rose Colesium before they took the ice out. The 4 college teams outside of the cities have ideal venues for a section final.
With all due respect, for Section 5AA (anyway) Aldrich is perfect for the Section Final. Packed to the gills, Loud as hell, good ice sheet, good sight lines for spectators. My oldest son played in a Section Final at the Fairgrounds & one at the DECC, sight lines were terrible at the Fairgrounds, it was warm at ice level and the ice wasn’t very fast. My youngest son played in the Section Final at Aldrich in 2016 & it was electric. Now I agree HM playing the 4AA FINAL at Aldrich is not ideal, but neither is ER or Andover (or back in the day Anoka playing at the DECC) playing at Amsoil, which IS a home game for DE & DM and essentially is for Cloquet 😉😳
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

hockey59 wrote:
With all due respect, for Section 5AA (anyway) Aldrich is perfect for the Section Final. Packed to the gills, Loud as hell, good ice sheet, good sight lines for spectators. My oldest son played in a Section Final at the Fairgrounds & one at the DECC, sight lines were terrible at the Fairgrounds, it was warm at ice level and the ice wasn’t very fast. My youngest son played in the Section Final at Aldrich in 2016 & it was electric. Now I agree HM playing the 4AA FINAL at Aldrich is not ideal, but neither is ER or Andover (or back in the day Anoka playing at the DECC) playing at Amsoil, which IS a home game for DE & DM and essentially is for Cloquet 😉😳
I agree the sightlines are not good at the Fairgrounds. I used that as an example of just working with what is available. I think a wise investment would be to take the Colesium down and replace it with a modern building with a similar seating capacity. Obviously that is a lot of money, but if multi use it would make money long term. As for Aldrich, it is a great venue to watch a game. I was at the 2016 game standing on the glass to the right of the Stillwater goalie. I see they fixed that awful chainlink fence on the ends of the ice up top and put a nice drink rail there with an unobstructed view. That would be the perfect view. The one downside to Aldrich is there isn't enough seating to meet the demand. For the people who get in line early and attend, it is a great atmosphere. The only other problem Aldrich has is there is basically no lobby, so the line to get in is outside and it was not pleasant given it was about 10 degrees outside. Really it is just plain stupid in 2018 that people can't wait in a warm lobby to get in when it's Feb. in Minnesota. All in all, I like Aldrich for now. I hope there is a better option down the road.
northwoods oldtimer

hockey59 wrote:
Aldrich is good to go! No need for an upgrade to a tax burden for the fine folks from the East side. Christ DJ give it a rest FF sake!! Easy to spend Minnesota tax payer money from Alaska me boy!!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Aldrich is good to go! No need for an upgrade to a tax burden for the fine folks from the East side. Christ DJ give it a rest FF sake!! Easy to spend Minnesota tax payer money from Alaska me boy!!
Boy? Let’s go find a barbell and some weights and see who the boy is. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I would never want to burden people. Simply stated a new arena would be cool under the right circumstances. I mostly agree with hockey59 so I don’t understand why your perception is so far off. Actually I’m not surprised it is. Immigrant fan has been making you look like a fool all year.
jdh

Home Ice

Post by jdh »

8AA usually has the final in Thief River. The only time it has been in Bemidji was about five years ago when Moorhead met Brainerd. Could be a repeat this year.
northwoods oldtimer

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
hockey59 wrote: With all due respect, for Section 5AA (anyway) Aldrich is perfect for the Section Final. Packed to the gills, Loud as hell, good ice sheet, good sight lines for spectators. My oldest son played in a Section Final at the Fairgrounds & one at the DECC, sight lines were terrible at the Fairgrounds, it was warm at ice level and the ice wasn’t very fast. My youngest son played in the Section Final at Aldrich in 2016 & it was electric. Now I agree HM playing the 4AA FINAL at Aldrich is not ideal, but neither is ER or Andover (or back in the day Anoka playing at the DECC) playing at Amsoil, which IS a home game for DE & DM and essentially is for Cloquet 😉😳
Boy? Let’s go find a barbell and some weights and see who the boy is. Please stop putting words in my mouth. I would never want to burden people. Simply stated a new arena would be cool under the right circumstances. I mostly agree with hockey59 so I don’t understand why your perception is so far off. Actually I’m not surprised it is. Immigrant fan has been making you look like a fool all year.
BIG, Braemar, Aldrich are all very fine HS hockey venues. Regular season right on through the playoffs.
TheHockeyDJ

Re: Home Ice

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

jdh wrote:8AA usually has the final in Thief River. The only time it has been in Bemidji was about five years ago when Moorhead met Brainerd. Could be a repeat this year.
Both awesome arenas! I went to the final in TRF 2 years ago for that OT win by Bemidji. Mini-Ralph is as good as it gets! Sanford Center should be great for Moorhead vs Brainerd. I have been there for Gophers/Beavers about 6 years ago. Both buildings they did everything right.
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

Richfield is a fine arena for some class A semi's and finals. There is no home team so no one has the edge. Move from Parade to Richfield. We used to hold some class A semis and finals and it was packed and fun. Next year new boards, would be a great addition.
Potatohead9

Post by Potatohead9 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
jdh wrote:8AA usually has the final in Thief River. The only time it has been in Bemidji was about five years ago when Moorhead met Brainerd. Could be a repeat this year.
Both awesome arenas! I went to the final in TRF 2 years ago for that OT win by Bemidji. Mini-Ralph is as good as it gets! Sanford Center should be great for Moorhead vs Brainerd. I have been there for Gophers/Beavers about 6 years ago. Both buildings they did everything right.
Section 8AA games are home (high seed) until the section final which is supposed to be neutral site either TRF (Olympic Ice) St Cloud State (Olympic Ice) or Bemidji depending on who makes the final. Now that Its Moorhead Vs. St. Michael-Albertville I wouldn't be surprised to see it at St. Cloud making Moorhead drive 150 miles to SMA going 38 miles. But hey they do the same thing for football playoffs so why show common sense now.....
But Section 8 is from Roseau to Moorhead to Rogers to Bemidji so we are used to traveling just to play each other.
Thats Mr. Potatohead to you!
GoldenBear69

Post by GoldenBear69 »

Potatohead9 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Section 8AA games are home (high seed) until the section final which is supposed to be neutral site either TRF (Olympic Ice) St Cloud State (Olympic Ice) or Bemidji depending on who makes the final. Now that Its Moorhead Vs. St. Michael-Albertville I wouldn't be surprised to see it at St. Cloud making Moorhead drive 150 miles to SMA going 38 miles. But hey they do the same thing for football playoffs so why show common sense now.....
But Section 8 is from Roseau to Moorhead to Rogers to Bemidji so we are used to traveling just to play each other.
Little Ralph is 200’ x 85’

With that being said ... I’m guessing you’re right on ... final will be in St. Cloud (Olympic Sheet), which should be advantageous for Moorhead (even if they do have to travel farther for the game)