GREENWAY AT HERMANTOWN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Hermnatown
15%
Hermantown but want the Raiders
50%
Greenway
35%
Dont care
No votes

Total votes: 34

Wet Paint

Post by Wet Paint » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:01 am

So the question then for this game and the one last night between East and Andover is............

In the 3rd period when the under dog had the bad guy on the ropes and ended up getting beat was it?

1) The yips setting in when the kids realized that they had them on the ropes?
2) The coaches throttling back a bit to save on their top lines to get ready for the inevitable onslaught at the end of the game.
3) The traditional gremlin who seems to sneak in and screw up a 2 goal lead.
4) or something else.

I was surprised to see Greenway pull back and start to play defensive when they got to that 6+/- minute or so. They seemed to pull back and rather than attack them all the way up they let Hermantown into their zone pretty easy and let them get some clear shots on goal. I turned to the person I was sitting by in my favorite watering hole and said "that is the game, it over, Greenway just lost". All night long Greenway was riding them into and out of the zone, back checking line crazy and etc and then all of a sudden the game changed to a protection mode. They were never really able to get their swagger back and get a good choke hold on Hermantown after that. Coaching does not seem obvious since we know who coaches at Greenway (does not fit his personality or track record). What happened?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:15 am

Wet Paint wrote:So the question then for this game and the one last night between East and Andover is............

In the 3rd period when the under dog had the bad guy on the ropes and ended up getting beat was it?

1) The yips setting in when the kids realized that they had them on the ropes?
2) The coaches throttling back a bit to save on their top lines to get ready for the inevitable onslaught at the end of the game.
3) The traditional gremlin who seems to sneak in and screw up a 2 goal lead.
4) or something else.

I was surprised to see Greenway pull back and start to play defensive when they got to that 6+/- minute or so. They seemed to pull back and rather than attack them all the way up they let Hermantown into their zone pretty easy and let them get some clear shots on goal. I turned to the person I was sitting by in my favorite watering hole and said "that is the game, it over, Greenway just lost". All night long Greenway was riding them into and out of the zone, back checking line crazy and etc and then all of a sudden the game changed to a protection mode. They were never really able to get their swagger back and get a good choke hold on Hermantown after that. Coaching does not seem obvious since we know who coaches at Greenway (does not fit his personality or track record). What happened?
Greenway game was due to depth. Like almost all Class A teams, they can only run two lines. They got tired.

Even though they weren't as sharp as usual, East was clearly the better team so it was really just a matter of time in that game. Andover's goalie kept them in it to that point.

mulefarm

Post by mulefarm » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:13 am

My guess is the coach was telling them to be aggressive, but in high pressure situations players don’t want to be the one to make a mistake and have a tendency to back off. Especially in section finals. In many cases teams have to go through it to gain that experience.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:26 am

Talked to a former pro scout. He said that Clafton came up with a tremendous game plan that Greenway executed all night. They were aggressive on their forecheck and always had pressure on Hermantown as they tried to breakout. Hermantown was not able to make those long outlet passes that they like to do. I don’t think Greenway went into a defensive mode as much as Hermantown played well in that stretch of time. Hermantown is a one line team and that one line is very good. Hermantown depth wasn’t as important as most people think. The coach was double shifting that first line in the third period. Their other lines did not match up well with whatever line they were matched up against. Greenway continued to have opportunities in the overtimes.. Hermantown was just as tired as Greenway.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:39 am

greenwayraider wrote:Talked to a former pro scout. He said that Clafton came up with a tremendous game plan that Greenway executed all night. They were aggressive on their forecheck and always had pressure on Hermantown as they tried to breakout. Hermantown was not able to make those long outlet passes that they like to do. I don’t think Greenway went into a defensive mode as much as Hermantown played well in that stretch of time. Hermantown is a one line team and that one line is very good. Hermantown depth wasn’t as important as most people think. The coach was double shifting that first line in the third period. Their other lines did not match up well with whatever line they were matched up against. Greenway continued to have opportunities in the overtimes.. Hermantown was just as tired as Greenway.
Fatigue factor worked against both teams and the team that got bit by it the most has some very skilled puck handlers in Troumbly, Lawson, Lantz, Rajala, Jensen, etc. The move Rajala made to the net in OT is usually a goal and fatigue of a long game played a big part. In the end Hermantown got the luck bounce they needed to deposit the puck. Wished it had worked out the other way around. If Greenway can fill some key role spots, 2019 will be a very good year. Would have loved back to back St. Paul trips. The Gopher bar regulars would be whooping it up like only Iron Rangers can.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:31 am

I was thinking in the sauna earlier. Is it a possibility that Hermantown doesn’t want to opt up because they will loose the lure for kid’s/families to open enroll/relocate to Hermantown? For a state run/championship game appearance every year. And still play AA in youth hockey and high school regular season. If Hermantown opted up, they would become just another school? And kids/families would stay were they are? Am I far off/nutty here?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:33 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
greenwayraider wrote:Talked to a former pro scout. He said that Clafton came up with a tremendous game plan that Greenway executed all night. They were aggressive on their forecheck and always had pressure on Hermantown as they tried to breakout. Hermantown was not able to make those long outlet passes that they like to do. I don’t think Greenway went into a defensive mode as much as Hermantown played well in that stretch of time. Hermantown is a one line team and that one line is very good. Hermantown depth wasn’t as important as most people think. The coach was double shifting that first line in the third period. Their other lines did not match up well with whatever line they were matched up against. Greenway continued to have opportunities in the overtimes.. Hermantown was just as tired as Greenway.
Fatigue factor worked against both teams and the team that got bit by it the most has some very skilled puck handlers in Troumbly, Lawson, Lantz, Rajala, Jensen, etc. The move Rajala made to the net in OT is usually a goal and fatigue of a long game played a big part. In the end Hermantown got the luck bounce they needed to deposit the puck. Wished it had worked out the other way around. If Greenway can fill some key role spots, 2019 will be a very good year. Would have loved back to back St. Paul trips. The Gopher bar regulars would be whooping it up like only Iron Rangers can.
I went to the Gopher bar a couple of years back.
Everyone in the place was drunk.
Everyone in the place was older than me.
I bought a round.
I was a God.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:34 pm

kniven wrote:I was thinking in the sauna earlier. Is it a possibility that Hermantown doesn’t want to opt up because they will loose the lure for kid’s/families to open enroll/relocate to Hermantown? For a state run/championship game appearance every year. And still play AA in youth hockey and high school regular season. If Hermantown opted up, they would become just another school? And kids/families would stay were they are? Am I far off/nutty here?
Not necessarily 'here', but in general, yes.

:lol:

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:35 pm

elliott70 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
I went to the Gopher bar a couple of years back.
Everyone in the place was drunk.
Everyone in the place was older than me.
I bought a round.
I was a God.
:o :o :o

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm

You buy a Ranger a couple of beers and you have a buddy for life. I’m still waiting for mine. Maybe you’re trying to tell me something.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:43 pm

greenwayraider wrote:You buy a Ranger a couple of beers and you have a buddy for life. I’m still waiting for mine. Maybe you’re trying to tell me something.
Charlestown is too far for me to drive in my advanced years.

Meet me at Dimaggios in Erskine. I will buy the beer and introduce you to slapshooter.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:01 pm

That’s a helluva bonus. I even know how to get to Erskine. I’ll wait till it’s 20 below with a 30 mile an hour wind so I can experience a whiteout again.

pipersniper12

Post by pipersniper12 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:12 pm

Fun facts for Hermantown youth teams this season.

Hermantown Bantam AA vs. 7AA Bantam teams: 8-4-1 (outscoring 7AA opponents 64-48))
Hermantown Bantam AA vs. 7A Bantam teams: 3-0-0 (outscoring 7A opponents 15-5)

Hermantown Peewee AA vs. 7AA Peewee teams: 10-0-1 (outscoring 7AA opponents 85-15)
Hermantown Peewee AA vs. 7A Peewee teams: 0-0-0 (believe it or not Hermantown did not outscore their 7A opponents)

Hermantown Squirt A vs. 7AA Squirt teams: 8-1-0 (outscoring 7AA opponents 45-15)
Hermantown Squirt A vs. 7A Squirt teams: 5-0-0 (outscoring 7A opponents 39-9)
Hunt|Fish|Hockey

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:47 pm

pipersniper12 wrote:Fun facts for Hermantown youth teams this season.

Hermantown Bantam AA vs. 7AA Bantam teams: 8-4-1 (outscoring 7AA opponents 64-48))

Hermantown Peewee AA vs. 7AA Peewee teams: 10-0-1 (outscoring 7AA opponents 85-15)
Hermantown Peewee AA vs. 7A Peewee teams: 0-0-0 (believe it or not Hermantown did not outscore their 7A opponents)

Hermantown Squirt A vs. 7AA Squirt teams: 8-1-0 (outscoring 7AA opponents 45-15)
Looks like a HS Class A team to me 😉 On a different note, something maybe we all agree on...1) the Hawks new white jerseys are a MONUMENTAL upgrade to those worn last year & 2) I tuned into the UMD vs UNO men’s game tonight on My 9, and realized they FINALLY broke down and bought some HD camera’s 😳😲 Actually the channel is finally listed as MY9HD!!! YES! If My9 can pull their head out of their arses and go HD...maybe there is faint hope that Hermantown will opt up to AA after next season... after all 🤪😊

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:04 pm

hockey59 wrote:
pipersniper12 wrote:Fun facts for Hermantown youth teams this season.

Looks like a HS Class A team to me 😉 On a different note, something maybe we all agree on...1) the Hawks new white jerseys are a MONUMENTAL upgrade to those worn last year & 2) I tuned into the UMD vs UNO men’s game tonight on My 9, and realized they FINALLY broke down and bought some HD camera’s 😳😲 Actually the channel is finally listed as MY9HD!!! YES! If My9 can pull their head out of their arses and go HD...maybe there is faint hope that Hermantown will opt up to AA after next season... after all 🤪😊
Agree on the jerseys. My9 has been HD all season, it was Charter cable that needed to upgrade the channel. They were downgrading the signal due to bandwidth. There was a write in campaign, and they finally made the upgrade this week.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:34 pm