List of Elk River's misfortunes at AMSOIL and DECC

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hermantown2000

List of Elk River's misfortunes at AMSOIL and DECC

Post by hermantown2000 »

So the Elks lost another heartbreaker tonight at AMSOIL Arena. Just for people's interest here is list of some of the Elks misfortunes in Duluth.
2006 7AA semi's-Elks take 2-0 over Grand Rapids but can't hold lead. Lose 3-2.
2007 7AA semifinals -Elks have 1-0 over Cloquet in 3rd period. Lumberjacks tie it up and Tyler Johnson(returning from injury)breaks the Elks hearts with his game winning goal.
2009 and 2010 7AA Finals- Lost to East both years
2013 7AA semifinals- Elks have 1-0 over Grand Rapids with seconds remaining in game but then Avery Peterson works his magic by scoring the tying goal and then scores the ot winner
2014 and 2015 )7AA finals -we all know what happened in thes games against East.

2017 semifinal-2-0 lead over Grand Rapids in 3rd.
Elks lose 5-3 in 3rd period collapse.
Last edited by hermantown2000 on Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
east hockey
Site Admin

Re: List of Elk River's misfortunes at AMSOIL and DECC

Post by east hockey »

hermantown2000 wrote:So the Elks lost another heartbreaker tonight at AMSOIL Arena. Just for people's interest here is list of the Elks misfortunes in Duluth.
2007 7AA semifinals -Elks have 1-0 over Cloquet in 3rd period. Lumberjacks tie it up and Tyler Johnson(returning from injury)breaks the Elks hearts with his game winning goal.
2013 7AA semifinals- Elks have 1-0 over Grand Rapids with seconds remaining in game but then Avery Peterson works his magic by scoring the tying goal and then scores the ot winner
2015 and 2016 7AA finals we all know what happened in thes games against East.

2017 semifinal-2-0 lead over Grand Rapids in 3rd. 3r
You forgot 2011: Lost to East in the semis 5-1 and 2012 lost to East 4-2 in the semis, and 2014 lost to East 3-2 in the finals. The only win for the Elks over East in 7AA was a 4-2 win in the 1999 semis (at the DECC)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Thanks guys.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

5-13 in playoff games at either the DECC or the Amsoil dating back to 1998, looks like.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

My prediction is when the cupboard gets a little bare down here we will get moved to a different section. Probably multiple trips to state if in a different section the last 10 years. Bottom line is just didn't get it done up there with some great teams and players.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

east hockey wrote:
hermantown2000 wrote:So the Elks lost another heartbreaker tonight at AMSOIL Arena. Just for people's interest here is list of the Elks misfortunes in Duluth.

You forgot 2011: Lost to East in the semis 5-1 and 2012 lost to East 4-2 in the semis, and 2014 lost to East 3-2 in the finals. The only win for the Elks over East in 7AA was a 4-2 win in the 1999 semis (at the DECC)

Lee
Yes, how could we forget the 2014 section final, when the Elks had a 1-0 lead with 1:30 remaining? And can we really not list out the gory details of 2015 and 2016? :D

Sorry, though, Al. We do feel for you. It seems like every season finds some new way to twist the dagger in further.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

The numbers don't lie. We do have our state title though... Which is nice.
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

karl(east) wrote:
east hockey wrote:

Lee
Yes, how could we forget the 2014 section final, when the Elks had a 1-0 lead with 1:30 remaining? And can we really not list out the gory details of 2015 and 2016? :D

Sorry, though, Al. We do feel for you. It seems like every season finds some new way to twist the dagger in further.
Which one was worse from the Elks' standpoint? My vote goes to the 2015 finals with that early three goal lead over East.

Salt: "Scuse me, is that a wound I see?"

Sorry, Al. If Hermantown ever opts up, we'll release you guys back to 5AA.

Lee
Egomaniac since 2006
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

east hockey wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
east hockey wrote: You forgot 2011: Lost to East in the semis 5-1 and 2012 lost to East 4-2 in the semis, and 2014 lost to East 3-2 in the finals. The only win for the Elks over East in 7AA was a 4-2 win in the 1999 semis (at the DECC)

Lee

Which one was worse from the Elks' standpoint? My vote goes to the 2015 finals with that early three goal lead over East.

Salt: "Scuse me, is that a wound I see?"

Sorry, Al. If Hermantown ever opts up, we'll release you guys back to 5AA.

Lee
Shouldn't you guys be breaking down film or something?
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

I may have to bring in a special partner for the tag team match. I will make a call to Sats81 :D
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Enjoyed watching Perbix this year , the top AA top twenty scorer

Bizal not far behind

Joey Foss really improved and reached his potential this year I thought , between Sept and Feb

Michaelis one of top 5 sophs statewide for sure

Lots of positives as the Elks close out their season.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

WestMetro wrote:Enjoyed watching Perbix this year , the top AA top twenty scorer

Bizal not far behind

Joey Foss really improved and reached his potential this year I thought , between Sept and Feb

Always the voice of reason, thanks West.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:Enjoyed watching Perbix this year , the top AA top twenty scorer

Bizal not far behind

It was one hell of a game, Perbix is a money player. Andover is Good this year. Could have went either way.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

hockey59 wrote:

Bizal not far behind

It was one hell of a game, Perbix is a money player. Andover is Good this year. Could have went either way.
Agree with all of this.
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Many of those probably would have been wins, if only playing a few miles from home like their opponents. Sucks to be them.. I guess..
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I see Andover just got a very generous donation that will drop the bus cost to ONLY ten bucks a kid.

Quite the advantage up there..
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

alcloseshaver wrote:The numbers don't lie. We do have our state title though... Which is nice.
Shouldn’t Buffalo be able to claim a share of that 2001 title since three of their players were on the team? :lol: A friend of mine from Buffalo liked to joke that Elk River’s district boundaries somehow extended across the entirety of the northern suburbs.

On a more serious note, I do feel like the Elks have been shafted over the years with their section assignments, basically being the hot potato that no one wanted. Since the start of the two class era in 1992, they were moved from Section 4 to 8 to 7, then back to 4, before returning to their now “permanent” home back in 7. Certainly there would have been a few more state tournament appearances had Elk River not been stuck with Moorhead and East over the years. We’ll see if that changes again in the near future, reuniting them with some more geographically appropriate rivals.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

I just noticed it was an Hermantown guy that started this thread.

How ironic, seeing as Hermantown is the one northern team that keeps the Elks locked into 7AA play.

I will tip my hat to Elk River players and fans for playing in a tough section. They have the battle scars to prove the fact that 7AA is a tough section to get through. Despite the frustrations they are and have been a most formidable opponent in section 7AA and the Elks are a team which has made 7AA very reputable over the years.
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

Stang5280 wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:The numbers don't lie. We do have our state title though... Which is nice.
Shouldn’t Buffalo be able to claim a share of that 2001 title since three of their players were on the team? :lol: A friend of mine from Buffalo liked to joke that Elk River’s district boundaries somehow extended across the entirety of the northern suburbs.

On a more serious note, I do feel like the Elks have been shafted over the years with their section assignments, basically being the hot potato that no one wanted. Since the start of the two class era in 1992, they were moved from Section 4 to 8 to 7, then back to 4, before returning to their now “permanent” home back in 7. Certainly there would have been a few more state tournament appearances had Elk River not been stuck with Moorhead and East over the years. We’ll see if that changes again in the near future, reuniting them with some more geographically appropriate rivals.
We are quick to credit Buffalo for the assist when needed, unlike some programs. Pretty much as home grown as it gets since late in the Sars era.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

ER over rated all season ... Just couldn't beat the big boys.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

It's a package deal - if Elk River returns to a metro section, then Andover has to come with. Unfortunately, Hermantown can only fill one of the spots.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
GettinHiggyWithIt

Post by GettinHiggyWithIt »

ryguyMN wrote:It's a package deal - if Elk River returns to a metro section, then Andover has to come with. Unfortunately, Hermantown can only fill one of the spots.
If they both leave, and Hermantown moves up, that would leave section 7AA with 8 teams. That would be perfect and it would take away the 8/9 play-in game.
alcloseshaver

Post by alcloseshaver »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:ER over rated all season ... Just couldn't beat the big boys.
Let it go Happy, they were clearly a top 20 team.
HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan »

alcloseshaver wrote:
HappyHockeyFan wrote:ER over rated all season ... Just couldn't beat the big boys.
I guess me and my rankings formula didn't see it that way. And another loss to a top twenty team proved it.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
alcloseshaver wrote:
I guess me and my rankings formula didn't see it that way. And another loss to a top twenty team proved it.
You are one strange troll Happy. Just accept that no one accepted your rankings as a serious measurement.