Congrats to St Michael-Albertville!

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

HShockeywatcher

Congrats to St Michael-Albertville!

Post by HShockeywatcher » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:33 pm

The Knights won section 8AA and are making the team's first appearance at state ever.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:52 pm

With the growth of the community and hockey program I suspected they would emerge as the top challenger to Moorhead in 8AA, but didn’t expect it this soon. Congrats STMA.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:57 pm

WHY DIDN"T EDINA GET A THREAD LIKE THIS?
:D

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:48 pm

TheNightman wrote:WHY DIDN"T EDINA GET A THREAD LIKE THIS?
:D
Because the Board didn't exist in 1955 when they made their first trip to state. :mrgreen:

But take heart--Elliot started a sympathy topic :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 pm

Congrats to STMA! Certainly the biggest upset to date in sections. A bit disappointed we won't see Moorhead at the X, but it's always fun to see new programs make the dance.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:04 am

Too bad they weren't still in 7AA. That would have been really something to see them take down that powerful section. But then again, they probably would have been ranked higher. :wink:

Congrats to STMA.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:12 am

karl(east) wrote:Congrats to STMA! Certainly the biggest upset to date in sections. A bit disappointed we won't see Moorhead at the X, but it's always fun to see new programs make the dance.
I concur, congrats to STMA

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:17 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
karl(east) wrote:Congrats to STMA! Certainly the biggest upset to date in sections. A bit disappointed we won't see Moorhead at the X, but it's always fun to see new programs make the dance.
I concur, congrats to STMA
Congrats St. Mikey’s! My days of seeing/playing Moorhead are finished. It was nice seeing and playing you boys for a couple years.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:58 am

Goose21 wrote:With the growth of the community and hockey program I suspected they would emerge as the top challenger to Moorhead in 8AA, but didn’t expect it this soon. Congrats STMA.
Agreed. You could see the gradual progression in the program over the years, but I didn’t expect a trip to state this soon. Agreed. You could see the gradual progression in the program over the years, but I didn’t expect a trip to state this soon. The crazy thing is that hockey isn’t even their premier winter sport, lagging well behind wrestling. Congratulations to the Knights, it is always fun to see new teams at state, especially at the AA level!

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:12 am

Congrats to the Knights on their 1st AA State tournament birth, and in particular, to Knights assistant coach Sean Fish, who played for the 2003 AA State Champs! Best of luck playing at Xcel!

CommunityBased

Post by CommunityBased » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:36 am

So if Andover wins tonight we finally get the metro only state tournament. Is this the future?

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:40 am

CommunityBased wrote:So if Andover wins tonight we finally get the metro only state tournament. Is this the future?
Not as long as we have Duluth East, Grand Rapids, and Moorhead:))))

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:57 am

kniven wrote:
CommunityBased wrote:So if Andover wins tonight we finally get the metro only state tournament. Is this the future?
And Cloquet and DMarshall and Bemidji and Roseau and Brainerd.

St Cloud is iffy where they belong...

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:42 am

elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:

I mentioned the 3 teams that make regular appearances to state. You mentioned the squads that make it every 10-20 years. As long as we have the big 3, the north will be fine.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:25 pm

I've lived away for a long time. They weren't a power back in my day. Do you think the hockey program picked up after they hosted the Olympics?
Be kind. Rewind.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:04 pm

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:

I mentioned the 3 teams that make regular appearances to state. You mentioned the squads that make it every 10-20 years. As long as we have the big 3, the north will be fine.
CB, I think you are on to something here that will trend 2019 and beyond.
Rapids is DONE, Roseau is DONE. I don't see either program mustering a run to St. Paul in the next decade. CEC hopefully can make it next year but that is a long shot (possible defections). East and Moorhead will rep 218 AA other than that it is slim pickings her on out. Hockey is dying on the north and fast, the depth of numbers are not around any longer.

Cobber

Post by Cobber » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:28 pm

I don't know if you would call Moorhead a regular either they have only been to state once in the last 5 years. Bemidji has went twice Roseau once and STMA once in 8AA.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:29 pm

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Rapids is DONE, Roseau is DONE. I don't see either program mustering a run to St. Paul in the next decade. CEC hopefully can make it next year but that is a long shot (possible defections). East and Moorhead will rep 218 AA other than that it is slim pickings her on out. Hockey is dying on the north and fast, the depth of numbers are not around any longer.
While you may be correct long term I am not sure that holds true in the immediate future. If I am not mistaken Grand Rapid's Bantam team has a winning record against DE and Roseau's has a winning record against Moorhead. Both are also ranked higher respectively. Like I said while this may be the trend long term I would say it is far from a sure thing in the immediate future.

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Roseau will be in the mix for 8AA next year! Mark it down. They may be playing in the wrong class, but still might make it next season!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

CommunityBased

Post by CommunityBased » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 pm

Just saw East won in OT. Congrats. I really hope those of you saying the North is OK are correct. I can't help worrying numbers and opportunities will continue to favor cities teams.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:35 pm

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:

LOL. It runs in cycles. No way either are done. Until those 2 towns experience severe economic downturns they will both show up from time to time.

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:01 pm

kniven wrote:
elliott70 wrote:
kniven wrote:

I don’t think hockey is dying in the North. I do think that the evolution and economics of hockey make it harder for small town programs to compete. Northern hockey hadn’t changed that much, but the advantages of larger programs with more resources has.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:29 pm

Green and White Fan wrote:Roseau will be in the mix for 8AA next year! Mark it down. They may be playing in the wrong class, but still might make it next season!
Whoooo Hooooo I like hearing that!!!

Make a run Knights in 2018

HappyHockeyFan

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:30 pm

So who can shed some light on this mystery team STMA? Any special players to watch or just good team chemisty? They are one of the few top twenty I didn't see this season.
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:32 pm

CommunityBased wrote:Just saw East won in OT. Congrats. I really hope those of you saying the North is OK are correct. I can't help worrying numbers and opportunities will continue to favor cities teams.
Agree with you CommunityBased. Maybe we are bit longer in tooth so see it from a different perspective.