Section 4AA Final: Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who do you think will win this ice hockey game?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:46 am

White Bear Lake-Hugo-Vadnais Heights High School
55%
Archbishop Murray Memorial High School
45%

Total votes: 29

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy »

That was WB's best team in quite a while, and I don't they've ever had such an easy path to the section title. They hadn't even been to the title game since 2011.

But no one should be blaming Sager, Coach of the Year 2011 and my second favorite 4AA coach.
BlueLineSpecial

Post by BlueLineSpecial »

First post of the season...what did I miss? :wink:
The City of Hill Murray is beautiful this time of year
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Joe2015 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote: Joe- Did you ever play the game? Just curious. Most guys that did don't comment that way.

What did I say? I'm hardly the first person to poke fun at Elk River's early
playoff exits
You know what? Elk River has had some good frickin teams and some good frickin players. I know people like to rip on pro teams but I just can't see doing the same to high school kids. Again, people who have actually played and competed are not going to do that.
Jeez man it was just some friendly rib-poking.

And I know Elk River has had some great teams: I remember them crushing Moorhead in the 01 final
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Hey, Im just a Rapids fan. You aren't poking my ribs.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

Just a pretty lackluster effort from White Bear Lake. A lot of simple plays were just off tonight. Missed passes, a lot of shots missing the net, and tried to make the perfect play a lot instead of getting a good shot on goal. They definitely played nervous, and Hill Murray played a pretty smart and simple game. It wasn't anything spectacular by any means, but they overall were the better team tonight.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but Hill Murray seemed to win every faceoff against WBL's top line. That to me really stood out especially in the third when the Bears really couldn't sustain any pressure or make a push. I was pretty disappointed that they couldn't get anything going in the third with their season on the line

Overall it was an exciting season, but not one I expected to end tonight. It does always seem like Lechner out coaches Sager in these big games. I can't believe they haven't been to state since 2011, but I guess there's always next year...
East Side Pioneer Guy

It was more than a decade ago that a Pioneer Press writter, in a pre-game article, commented that the section championship was a game that had become very unkind to the favorite. I wish I could remember what year that was, but I do know that Hill was the #2 seed and won. It may have been the 2-0 game.

But I was not able to relax until it was inside of 30 seconds or so. A few too many 3rd period icings by Hill for my tastes.
green4

Post by green4 »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:Just a pretty lackluster effort from White Bear Lake. A lot of simple plays were just off tonight. Missed passes, a lot of shots missing the net, and tried to make the perfect play a lot instead of getting a good shot on goal. They definitely played nervous, and Hill Murray played a pretty smart and simple game. It wasn't anything spectacular by any means, but they overall were the better team tonight.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but Hill Murray seemed to win every faceoff against WBL's top line. That to me really stood out especially in the third when the Bears really couldn't sustain any pressure or make a push. I was pretty disappointed that they couldn't get anything going in the third with their season on the line

Overall it was an exciting season, but not one I expected to end tonight. It does always seem like Lechner out coaches Sager in these big games. I can't believe they haven't been to state since 2011, but I guess there's always next year...
What does next year look like for 4AA? I know hill is really young and I kind of had the thought that this was gonna be one of the best shots for WBL for awhile.
WBLHockeyfan04

Post by WBLHockeyfan04 »

green4 wrote:
WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:Just a pretty lackluster effort from White Bear Lake. A lot of simple plays were just off tonight. Missed passes, a lot of shots missing the net, and tried to make the perfect play a lot instead of getting a good shot on goal. They definitely played nervous, and Hill Murray played a pretty smart and simple game. It wasn't anything spectacular by any means, but they overall were the better team tonight.

What does next year look like for 4AA? I know hill is really young and I kind of had the thought that this was gonna be one of the best shots for WBL for awhile.
I expect Stillwater and Hill Murray to be better. WBL is graduating their all senior top line, but do have a good group of young players as well. This was their best shot in a while though, so this one stings. Tonight was a pretty big letdown.
hockeyhockeyhockey

Post by hockeyhockeyhockey »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:That was WB's best team in quite a while, and I don't they've ever had such an easy path to the section title. They hadn't even been to the title game since 2011.

But no one should be blaming Sager, Coach of the Year 2011 and my second favorite 4AA coach.
except there is nothing easy about a section 3 (or 4 now) section final vs the lower seed.
Jeffy95

Re: Section 4AA Final: Hill-Murray vs. White Bear Lake

Post by Jeffy95 »

Jeffy95 wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
BodyShots wrote: This is possibly the dumbest comment I have read on this board in a very long time. Have you every heard about traveling hockey? You or your kids play in any tournaments? #-o

Oh by the way, even mite kids play in tournaments at opposing arena's.
Will someone please explain irony to Bodyshots and inthewine? It's hard to tell which of the two is the more stable genius.
Dude, you're talking down to people and neither one of your idiot posts has anything to do with irony. Go look it up yourself. I think the nuns hit you in the head with a ruler too many times. What an arrogant Bozo.
SEC Scotty

Post by SEC Scotty »

Exactly the way I saw it. Hill got out of their zone very easily and the Bears struggled against their trap. Hill capitalized on their scoring chances and the Bears did not.
East Side Pioneer Guy

hockeyhockeyhockey wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:That was WB's best team in quite a while, and I don't they've ever had such an easy path to the section title. They hadn't even been to the title game since 2011.

except there is nothing easy about a section 3 (or 4 now) section final vs the lower seed.
Usually "you can throw the records out for this game" is a cliche. But not at all for this section when it's HM-WB. I've said before either team can come into the game .500 and it's still going to be a tight game.
sparty

Post by sparty »

I'm just sick about WBL missing the tournament this year. Every year I wish the Bears would pull through.
East Side Pioneer Guy

sparty wrote:I'm just sick about WBL missing the tournament this year. Every year I wish the Bears would pull through.
I kind of feel it's even up with 2011. But no malice, I've been on both sides.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:
sparty wrote:I'm just sick about WBL missing the tournament this year. Every year I wish the Bears would pull through.
I kind of feel it's even up with 2011. But no malice, I've been on both sides.
Difference is I wish the results of both games had been different. Hill in 2011 had a great chance to win it all, but couldn't get past WBL.

WBL had a chance to finally slay the dragon this year, get seeded, win a first round game and see a Friday night.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Spar, my thought exactly .....

Was looking forward to the three or four sections of solid blaze orange at the X again . Nothing like Bears fans . They were out in force last night , more of them and even louder than Stillwater fans after the Cates goal
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Kudos to the Pioneers, they wanted it more and played with more emotion, and that usually beats talent, Good luck at state!
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

I feel bad for the hockey families of WBL. No matter how well they do as youths, and how hard they work to improve their game, it always ends up with unfilled dreams and expectations once they get on the high school hockey team.

Lets look back on the season and see how well this coaching staffs does in improving the team throughout the year:

Roseville - game 1 win by 6, game 2 win by 4, game 3 win by 2.
Flake - win by 3, win by 1
Cretin - Tie, and lose by 1
MV - win by 8, win by 4
ER - win by 6, win by 4
HM - win by 2, lose by 2
SW - win by 3, win by 3 (WOW, they didn't lose ground for once)
Park - win by 8, win by 6
Wood - win by 13, win by 9

So in summary, 8 out of 9 rematches the opponents did better than the bears in the following games. The other ended in a draw.

Coaching, coaching, coaching. It's kind of like location, location, location. Is White Bear Lake really only a swamp?
wbmd

Post by wbmd »

BodyShots wrote:I feel bad for the hockey families of WBL. No matter how well they do as youths, and how hard they work to improve their game, it always ends up with unfilled dreams and expectations once they get on the high school hockey team.
I second the feeling.
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

wbmd wrote:
BodyShots wrote:I feel bad for the hockey families of WBL. No matter how well they do as youths, and how hard they work to improve their game, it always ends up with unfilled dreams and expectations once they get on the high school hockey team.
I second the feeling.
Isn't it nice they have an opportunity to play for a different school, not all that far away, with different coaching and different results? :lol: :D :wink:
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WBLHockeyfan04 wrote:
green4 wrote:

I expect Stillwater and Hill Murray to be better. WBL is graduating their all senior top line, but do have a good group of young players as well. This was their best shot in a while though, so this one stings. Tonight was a pretty big letdown.
WBLHockeyfan04 or Zach Halvorson question for the WBL fans who have covered the team all season. Tuned in to watch the 12/1 East - WBL and watched the 3-4 loss to Edina on 1/4. The team I watched early season was as good as any of the deep teams out of WBL. Is this a team that just peaked too early as can happen in sport. Some key injuries? Did the lighter schedule (Hibbing. Rapids, Park CG, Woodbury) down the stretch impact the team at all for a deep playoff run?
Hill finishing with Duuth Marshal, Elk River, Moorhead prep that team for a deep playoff run?
Curious what you guys have for analysis as in the Rob Roy to Jake Bischoff era Rapids routinely hurt themselves with a soft IRA schedule leading up to playoffs. I think that hurt some of those teams when trying to get your game up to Duluth East speed.
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

Lets look back on the season and see how well this coaching staffs does in improving the team throughout the year:

Roseville - game 1 win by 6, game 2 win by 4, game 3 win by 2.
Flake - win by 3, win by 1
Cretin - Tie, and lose by 1
MV - win by 8, win by 4
ER - win by 6, win by 4
HM - win by 2, lose by 2
SW - win by 3, win by 3 (WOW, they didn't lose ground for once)
Park - win by 8, win by 6
Wood - win by 13, win by 9

So in summary, 8 out of 9 rematches the opponents did better than the bears in the following games. The other ended in a draw.

Coaching, coaching, coaching. It's kind of like location, location, location. Is White Bear Lake really only a swamp?
I said this earlier in the year, and have said it before, Sager coached teams are as good as they are going to be first game of the year. they never improve. He does not develop players either. As with most WB fans, wish he would go.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Could we start seeing a truck load of kids defecting to Hill from WBL now. You know the can’t beat em so join em thing saying. I’m up north, but it sounds like WBL looses lots of talent to Hill anyway. Question : is WBL the biggest feeder to the Hill machine now and over the years?
Sparlimb

Post by Sparlimb »

kniven wrote:Could we start seeing a truck load of kids defecting to Hill from WBL now. You know the can’t beat em so join em thing saying. I’m up north, but it sounds like WBL looses lots of talent to Hill anyway. Question : is WBL the biggest feeder to the Hill machine now and over the years?
White Bear has shared plenty of kids, but I would guess no more than anyone else. Johnson (east St. Paul) lost a ton of kids, as has Stillwater, Hudson Woodbury, Mounds View, etc. I know of kids from Blaine, Edina, Forest Lake and pretty much everywhere else that have come. But all the east side suburbs share. Heck, we even got a good one from Roseau. Thanks Rams!
East Side Pioneer Guy

Sparlimb wrote:
wbmd wrote:
I second the feeling.
Isn't it nice they have an opportunity to play for a different school, not all that far away, with different coaching and different results? :lol: :D :wink:
You mean like, open enroll at Stillwater? Sure, they could do that. ;)