Section 7AA: Andover vs Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Section 7AA: Andover vs Duluth East

Andover
14%
Duluth East
86%

Total votes: 21

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:17 am

hockey59 wrote:
jeffpv wrote:Where else would they have the Section 7 playoffs if not Amsoil?
Play the Final in Hibbing. On a non school day Saturday, play semifinals at Amsoil 2pm & 4pm.
St. Cloud, Ridder, Mariucci, Sanford Center. The bus legs is a small part of it. How many Hounds in the stands vs Huskies? Nothing like a bunch of screaming students cheering you on at the end of the game or in OT to give you that little extra step. 59 said it well, "but to imply it didn’t or doesn’t help...is putting your head in the sand."

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:24 am

MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Play the Final in Hibbing. On a non school day Saturday, play semifinals at Amsoil 2pm & 4pm.
St. Cloud, Ridder, Mariucci, Sanford Center. The bus legs is a small part of it. How many Hounds in the stands vs Huskies? Nothing like a bunch of screaming students cheering you on at the end of the game or in OT to give you that little extra step. 59 said it well, "but to imply it didn’t or doesn’t help...is putting your head in the sand."
It all sounds like sour grapes to me. Convenient to throw out a head-in-sand argument when you have literally no way of knowing the outcome at a different site.

East was supposed to crush Andover last night. Andover took them to overtime. The better team won, and the underdog gave them more than they could handle. I think they handled the "disadvantage" quite well.

This argument is tired and old. Nothing is going to change here. All you "southern" teams can hope for is a change to a different section. I am sure 8AA would take you. Then you can complain about that. 7AA belongs at Amsoil. Period. End of Conversation.

But I am sure you will have more nonsense to spew.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:29 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
BodyShots wrote:
karl(east) wrote:That's three times in the past eight years East has scored a game-tying goal in a section final with under two minutes left.
Do these Hounds where horseshoes in their skates?
No they have well rested legs from sleeping in their own bed and making the 10 minute drive to the rink. Seems to be a pattern of late third period and OT success that comes with a home ice advantage.

Welcome to the northern version of the pit of misery Dover, dilly dilly!
Whose beds did the Andover kids sleep in? I agree though, that two hour ride on a charter bus has to be death on well-conditioned 16-18 year old kids. It's a wonder they were even able to walk to the locker room without assistance.
Thats simply not the point. As much as Amsoil is a great facility, the fact remains that for DE, DM & Cloquet, geographically, Amsoil is not a neutral site. Not saying that’s why DE or Cloquet have won 7AA titles, but to imply it didn’t or doesn’t help...is putting your head in the sand. And all the teams that reach State stay in a hotel Thursday night or earlier, including all the metro teams, .so Xcel is truly a neutral site. And if Hermantown ever grows a set of BALLS & opts up to AA, they will have the same relative advantage as the other 3 Duluth area schools. Just don’t hold your breath on that one 😉
I think it's way overblown and a convenient excuse. Justin Morneau was asked about the advantage of playing in the Dome once. He said the home field advantage is sleeping in your own bed. I agree with him. Every kid does that for Sections.

East is the better team. They won the game. Not a huge surprise.
Again 😳 not the point, have you ever as a player (or had a kid)’play in the 7AA FINAL at DECC or Amsoil? Was he on a TC metro team? Yes on both (for me). And of course...DE was the better team this year. Next year? Andover will be a real hand full. 🤗

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:42 am

Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:
It all sounds like sour grapes to me. Convenient to throw out a head-in-sand argument when you have literally no way of knowing the outcome at a different site.

East was supposed to crush Andover last night. Andover took them to overtime. The better team won, and the underdog gave them more than they could handle. I think they handled the "disadvantage" quite well.

This argument is tired and old. Nothing is going to change here. All you "southern" teams can hope for is a change to a different section. I am sure 8AA would take you. Then you can complain about that. 7AA belongs at Amsoil. Period. End of Conversation.

No sour grapes, just the facts. Who said East was supposed to crush Andover, must have been Andover or a bunch of East fans on a board? That is why they play the game. Yes East won the game and they are a very good program. Why does it belong at Amsoil? do the math how many "southern" teams and how many "northern" teams, it is not a "northern" section just because there are teams in it from the north.... I guess since there are teams from the north those "north" teams are entitled to have section games in their back yard and it is a northern section? Combine 8 and 7 and you can have your "northern" section. Hold semi and final at the Sanford Center. Glad you can end the conversation, sounds to me like you are done discussing. Nice fine print.....Glad you think it is nonsense, that explains a lot. Open your eyes, there is a much bigger world out there than just the twin ports!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:59 am

Just speculating, but Im thinking Huskies had a bunch of extra motivational factors working for them:

o Recent Hounds loss to Cloquet proved anythings possible
o Knowing they had a 93% er in the crease
o Rallying around coach Manney
o Looked like huge fan turnout, booster club did great job
o Maddie GM effect, city pride

Well done Huskies! One moment of puck luck away from the X . A bright future ahead,

Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:21 am

The arrogance of the metro. "you can have your northern section"! Oh thanks for that!!
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:34 am

MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

No sour grapes, just the facts. Who said East was supposed to crush Andover, must have been Andover or a bunch of East fans on a board? That is why they play the game. Yes East won the game and they are a very good program. Why does it belong at Amsoil? do the math how many "southern" teams and how many "northern" teams, it is not a "northern" section just because there are teams in it from the north.... I guess since there are teams from the north those "north" teams are entitled to have section games in their back yard and it is a northern section? Combine 8 and 7 and you can have your "northern" section. Hold semi and final at the Sanford Center. Glad you can end the conversation, sounds to me like you are done discussing. Nice fine print.....Glad you think it is nonsense, that explains a lot. Open your eyes, there is a much bigger world out there than just the twin ports!
Dude....I am from the cities, born and raised in SLP. And yes, I think it is ridiculous that there is even a single metro team in either section 8 or 7. When we get to the point that there is a chance for an All-Metro State Tourney, there is a problem. I also do not believe that the northern teams from 8 & 7 should make one section. People from the Twin Cities are way too arrogant when it comes to this.

so happy you are able to read small text.

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:56 am

Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Dude....I am from the cities, born and raised in SLP. And yes, I think it is ridiculous that there is even a single metro team in either section 8 or 7. When we get to the point that there is a chance for an All-Metro State Tourney, there is a problem. I also do not believe that the northern teams from 8 & 7 should make one section. People from the Twin Cities are way too arrogant when it comes to this.

What is the alternative then? If you don't think there should be any metro teams in sections 7AA or 8AA but don't want the two sections to combine, then what is the solution? 4 or 5 team sections?
Are you calling yourself arrogant since you said you are from the Twin Cities? :lol: :lol:

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:58 am

green4 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

What is the alternative then? If you don't think there should be any metro teams in sections 7AA or 8AA but don't want the two sections to combine, then what is the solution? 4 or 5 team sections?
Are you calling yourself arrogant since you said you are from the Twin Cities? :lol: :lol:
No, just pointing out the fault in "my people". :wink:

Why is this not an issue for Lakeville North and South? They seem fine playing in Rochester for the semis and finals.

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:05 pm

Schotzy wrote:
green4 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Why is this not an issue for Lakeville North and South? They seem fine playing in Rochester for the semis and finals.
I don't know, I was not complaining, I just wanted to know your solution to the statement you were making.
If I had to guess why it is not an issue for the lakeville schools is because 1) every other team in that section is not very good, unlike 7AA and 2) because the final pretty much always consists of both lakeville schools so they would be effected the same amount by the drive to Rochester.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Nobody is ever going to accuse 7AA of having zero hockey passion. :)

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:07 pm

Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

Exactly, it is ridiculous to have metro teams in 7 and 8 and have to travel. I really do wish there were enough AA teams in 218 to fill both sections, at least right now there is not. When we get to the point there is a chancefor all metro state, weren't we about 1 1/2 minutes away from that last night? It is closer than you think and I agree it is a problem. It is not arrogance, but will likely happen sooner than later and was very close to happening this year.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:22 pm

MWS coach wrote:Exactly, it is ridiculous to have metro teams in 7 and 8 and have to travel. I really do wish there were enough AA teams in 218 to fill both sections, at least right now there is not. When we get to the point there is a chance for all metro state, weren't we about 1 1/2 minutes away from that last night? It is closer than you think and I agree it is a problem. It is not arrogance, but will likely happen sooner than later and was very close to happening this year.
Yes, we were that close, and I sat wondering if I really was interested in watching a state tournament where all the teams were from the same small part of the state. I also agree that Andover will be the team to beat next season. I even posted on that very thing last night. They are too talented, and have the youth to be in that position next season.

I have been a fan of MN HS Hockey since the 70's, and I have a bit of hockey-purist in me. I understand that the landscape has changed, and this has become a rich man's sport, but it does not take away from the heritage, and what this tournament means. It is terribly unfortunate that schools like Hibbing and Greenway, who once held on to AA dreams, were not able to keep up with the economics involved in the sport. I promise you, if they thought they could swing it, they would be in AA. Not like another team from up Duluth-way.

My final thought on this, then I am done responding. Lakeville North and South have no issue with this, and you state it is because they are better than everyone else. I guess that is your answer. Elk River and Andover were not better than everyone else this year. If they were, they would have won, regardless of the venue.
Last edited by Schotzy on Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:23 pm

Schotzy wrote:
green4 wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
hockey59 wrote:

And DUDE...I’m from Superior & graduated from UMD...what does you being from St Louis Park or Spring Lake Park have anything to do with 😳😉. Like the northern suburbs of the TC like ER & Andover & Forest Lake are the entitled cake eaters of 7AA 🤣? We all realize they aren’t moving it from Amsoil anytime soon...Duh! Our POINT is that when MG plays Cent. at Aldrich, (on a school & work day) Thursday night, it’s a neutral site game for the players & fans. Same for STA vs Eastview playing at Braemar. Same as STMA vs Moorhead at Bemidji. Dude, if your not objective enough to realize the difference between those 3 scenarios...and DE vs Andover at Amsoil...your right, further discussion is hopeless 🤡

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:24 pm

There is no perfect solution but one that I would like to see is get rid of the classes and go to a 16 team tournament. Do something like the 16 youth districts. Results in less travel and more geographic representation. There would be bloodbaths occasionally but that can happen in the current format too. While some of the non metro districts may not be as deep I think most years they would find a team that would be competitive. For example in my district 16 every year every team won’t be competitive but between Bemidji, Roseau, EGF, Warroad etc somebody will most likely put together a team that is competitive. Would be a blast if a tournament to watch for sure.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:28 pm

hockey59 wrote:And DUDE...I’m from Superior & graduated from UMD...what does you being from St Louis Park or Spring Lake Park have anything to do with 😳😉. Like the northern suburbs of the TC like ER & Andover & Forest Lake are the entitled cake eaters of 7AA 🤣? We all realize they aren’t moving it from Amsoil anytime soon...Duh! Our POINT is that when MG plays Cent. at Aldrich, (on a school & work day) Thursday night, it’s a neutral site game for the players & fans. Same for STA vs Eastview playing at Braemar. Same as STMA vs Moorhead at Bemidji. Dude, if your not objective enough to realize the difference between those 3 scenarios...and DE vs Andover at Amsoil...your right, further discussion is hopeless 🤡
Nice work stalker....never said I lived there now. Read carefully....Slowly if you have to. St. Louis Park from the early 70's through the mid 90's. Duh Dude.

Your point is simply expressing that you feel jilted and entitled to another scenario. And you are right, it will not change any time soon. Which is a good thing.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm

MWS coach wrote:Exactly, it is ridiculous to have metro teams in 7 and 8 and have to travel. I really do wish there were enough AA teams in 218 to fill both sections, at least right now there is not. When we get to the point there is a chancefor all metro state, weren't we about 1 1/2 minutes away from that last night? It is closer than you think and I agree it is a problem. It is not arrogance, but will likely happen sooner than later and was very close to happening this year.
Back in the day when a Region/Section 7 semi and the final were held in Hibbing, folks looked forward to the event, no matter that it was always held in Hibbing, no matter that Hibbing often played in the game. It was accepted that Hibbing had the one facility in the Section that could most feasibly play host to the event. This also meant that teams from International Falls, Silver Bay, Duluth, etc. had a long drive to the game, usually on winter-crap roads that were almost exclusively 2-lane. Not on smooth, wide, 4-lane freeways. Yet, they happily took on the challenge, and kids, being the resilient, excitable human beings that they are, looked forward to playing at the Memorial Building, even if they initially got off the bus tired. Very few complained about it, and there was no such talk about 'bus legs.'

Is there a better facility than Amsoil in Section 7? Hell, no. Don't talk to me about holding the game in St. Cloud, Bemidji or any other facility that is not in a city in Section 7. And it is almost exclusively adults that are whining about the semis and title game being held in Duluth year after year. I never hear anything from the kids who play the game.

Also, Sections 7 and 8 represent huge geographical regions, the residents of which tend to get behind the team that is representing their Section at State - no matter if they live in Moorhead or Bemidji or Grand Rapids or wherever, and their team lost. Will there be folks from Wayzata or St. Paul or St. Louis Park cheering on Edina at State, even though they have teams from those cities in Section 6? Likely a few, but likely not to the extent that folks from the North would get behind a Northern team not from their town. It's just different up North, perhaps from the tradition instilled in fans and players and going on for over 70 years. Or maybe they're all deluded into thinking that those Sections, though becoming depleted since the move to a 2-class tourney, are still kings of a sort when it comes to high school hockey. I can't say, but I can state that it's awesome, fun and memory-making having the semis and finals in Duluth at an arena as impressive as Amsoil.

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:48 pm

mnmouth wrote:
MWS coach wrote:Exactly, it is ridiculous to have metro teams in 7 and 8 and have to travel. I really do wish there were enough AA teams in 218 to fill both sections, at least right now there is not. When we get to the point there is a chancefor all metro state, weren't we about 1 1/2 minutes away from that last night? It is closer than you think and I agree it is a problem. It is not arrogance, but will likely happen sooner than later and was very close to happening this year.
Back in the day when a Region/Section 7 semi and the final were held in Hibbing, folks looked forward to the event, no matter that it was always held in Hibbing, no matter that Hibbing often played in the game. It was accepted that Hibbing had the one facility in the Section that could most feasibly play host to the event. This also meant that teams from International Falls, Silver Bay, Duluth, etc. had a long drive to the game, usually on winter-crap roads that were almost exclusively 2-lane. Not on smooth, wide, 4-lane freeways. Yet, they happily took on the challenge, and kids, being the resilient, excitable human beings that they are, looked forward to playing at the Memorial Building, even if they initially got off the bus tired. Very few complained about it, and there was no such talk about 'bus legs.'

Is there a better facility than Amsoil in Section 7? Hell, no. Don't talk to me about holding the game in St. Cloud, Bemidji or any other facility that is not in a city in Section 7. And it is almost exclusively adults that are whining about the semis and title game being held in Duluth year after year. I never hear anything from the kids who play the game.

Also, Sections 7 and 8 represent huge geographical regions, the residents of which tend to get behind the team that is representing their Section at State - no matter if they live in Moorhead or Bemidji or Grand Rapids or wherever, and their team lost. Will there be folks from Wayzata or St. Paul or St. Louis Park cheering on Edina at State, even though they have teams from those cities in Section 6? Likely a few, but likely not to the extent that folks from the North would get behind a Northern team not from their town. It's just different up North, perhaps from the tradition instilled in fans and players and going on for over 70 years. Or maybe they're all deluded into thinking that those Sections, though becoming depleted since the move to a 2-class tourney, are still kings of a sort when it comes to high school hockey. I can't say, but I can state that it's awesome, fun and memory-making having the semis and finals in Duluth at an arena as impressive as Amsoil.
Exactly. Thank you.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:50 pm

Schotzy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:And DUDE...I’m from Superior & graduated from UMD...what does you being from St Louis Park or Spring Lake Park have anything to do with 😳😉. Like the northern suburbs of the TC like ER & Andover & Forest Lake are the entitled cake eaters of 7AA 🤣? We all realize they aren’t moving it from Amsoil anytime soon...Duh! Our POINT is that when MG plays Cent. at Aldrich, (on a school & work day) Thursday night, it’s a neutral site game for the players & fans. Same for STA vs Eastview playing at Braemar. Same as STMA vs Moorhead at Bemidji. Dude, if your not objective enough to realize the difference between those 3 scenarios...and DE vs Andover at Amsoil...your right, further discussion is hopeless 🤡
Nice work stalker....never said I lived there now. Read carefully....Slowly if you have to. St. Louis Park from the early 70's through the mid 90's. Duh Dude.

Your point is simply expressing that you feel jilted and entitled to another scenario. And you are right, it will not change any time soon. Which is a good thing.
Hey Schotzy, I simply repeated what you said, that your FROM SLP? Didn’t say you still lived there. Nice reading comprehension 🤪 And I don’t feel jilted at all. Or entitled. My argument is just simple logic. ComIng from someone who no longer has a dog in the fight, but was fortunate enough to have had two sons who were part of 3 Section Finals & one AA State Tourney.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:54 pm

Schotzy wrote:
mnmouth wrote:

Exactly. Thank you.
I also couldn't agree more. Well stated.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:07 pm

Schotzy wrote:

I thought you were done responding :D

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:14 pm

hockey59 wrote:Hey Schotzy, I simply repeated what you said, that your FROM SLP? Didn’t say you still lived there. Nice reading comprehension 🤪 And I don’t feel jilted at all. Or entitled. My argument is just simple logic. ComIng from someone who no longer has a dog in the fight, but was fortunate enough to have had two sons who were part of 3 Section Finals & one AA State Tourney.
The point was made that the world was bigger than the twin ports, I was pointing out that I was not from the twin ports originally, and that I was fully aware that the world was bigger, and had actually spent a large chunk of my life in said "bigger world". And you did not simply repeat what I said, you added some results of your "web search".

Very glad you had a couple kids play in the section finals and a trip to state. My kid injured himself and his hockey career ended early. Bummer.

I am coming from the perspective of a hockey fan, plain and simple. When I lived in the cities, I always enjoyed seeing the teams from "out-state" (I hate that term) show up. I was enthralled by their fan base, and how it seemed like the whole community made the trip. I now live in the area due to my work, and I love this hockey community. Sure they have their issues, everyone does, but the passion is un-matched, except by maybe a few traditional communities from the metro.

I have another younger son who is working his way through the youth ranks. I hope it gets that chance someday. The chances are long, but it would be fun to experience. Whether he does or not, I will always enjoy our tournament, and will always support a model that keeps our communities from outside of the metro area in attendance.

I understand where you are coming from, but I do not agree that the venue needs to change. Amsoil is the best arena "in the section" for this event. Heck it is the second best arena in the state, behind only The X.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:19 pm

mnmouth wrote:

Yeah the semi final at an almost empty Amsoil was very impressive! Keep holing on to what the game used to be as it will pass you by very very soon. You obviously have not talked to any players that have played there. They accept the challenge and know what they have to overcome to get to the desired outcome. I also know it is not moving, I just for once wish a person from up north would realize that no matter how slight the advantage, there is an advantage. Is that advantage enough to propel a team to victory? Some years more than others, some years not at all. The electricity in Amsoil in 2015 after the second goal by DE against Elk during 5 minute major was amazing. Did that help motivate DE? If not in their back yard is there still that many DE fans at a neutral site that is a 3 hour drive away on a weeknight? IDK, but I guess we will never find out because it isn't an advantage and the venue won't change because we have to keep the "tradition" alive.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:22 pm

WestMetro wrote:Just speculating, but Im thinking Huskies had a bunch of extra motivational factors working for them:

o Recent Hounds loss to Cloquet proved anythings possible
o Knowing they had a 93% er in the crease
o Rallying around coach Manney
o Looked like huge fan turnout, booster club did great job
o Maddie GM effect, city pride

Well done Huskies! One moment of puck luck away from the X . A bright future ahead,
Andover’s Peewee and Bantam AA programs both top 5 in state last year. This year, both are top 10. Coach Manney and those Andover boys locked and loaded for a stretch run of 4-6 years.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:24 pm

Schotzy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:Hey Schotzy, I simply repeated what you said, that your FROM SLP? Didn’t say you still lived there. Nice reading comprehension 🤪 And I don’t feel jilted at all. Or entitled. My argument is just simple logic. ComIng from someone who no longer has a dog in the fight, but was fortunate enough to have had two sons who were part of 3 Section Finals & one AA State Tourney.
The point was made that the world was bigger than the twin ports, I was pointing out that I was not from the twin ports originally, and that I was fully aware that the world was bigger, and had actually spent a large chunk of my life in said "bigger world". And you did not simply repeat what I said, you added some results of your "web search".

Very glad you had a couple kids play in the section finals and a trip to state. My kid injured himself and his hockey career ended early. Bummer.

I am coming from the perspective of a hockey fan, plain and simple. When I lived in the cities, I always enjoyed seeing the teams from "out-state" (I hate that term) show up. I was enthralled by their fan base, and how it seemed like the whole community made the trip. I now live in the area due to my work, and I love this hockey community. Sure they have their issues, everyone does, but the passion is un-matched, except by maybe a few traditional communities from the metro.

I have another younger son who is working his way through the youth ranks. I hope it gets that chance someday. The chances are long, but it would be fun to experience. Whether he does or not, I will always enjoy our tournament, and will always support a model that keeps our communities from outside of the metro area in attendance.

I understand where you are coming from, but I do not agree that the venue needs to change. Amsoil is the best arena "in the section" for this event. Heck it is the second best arena in the state, behind only The X.
Of course you don't think it needs to change, you live in Duluth! If Cloquet is playing Andover at Ridder do you make that drive?