Section 7AA: Andover vs Duluth East

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Section 7AA: Andover vs Duluth East

Andover
14%
Duluth East
86%

Total votes: 21

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:25 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:Hey Schotzy, I simply repeated what you said, that your FROM SLP? Didn’t say you still lived there. Nice reading comprehension 🤪 And I don’t feel jilted at all. Or entitled. My argument is just simple logic. ComIng from someone who no longer has a dog in the fight, but was fortunate enough to have had two sons who were part of 3 Section Finals & one AA State Tourney.
The point was made that the world was bigger than the twin ports, I was pointing out that I was not from the twin ports originally, and that I was fully aware that the world was bigger, and had actually spent a large chunk of my life in said "bigger world". And you did not simply repeat what I said, you added some results of your "web search".

Very glad you had a couple kids play in the section finals and a trip to state. My kid injured himself and his hockey career ended early. Bummer.

I am coming from the perspective of a hockey fan, plain and simple. When I lived in the cities, I always enjoyed seeing the teams from "out-state" (I hate that term) show up. I was enthralled by their fan base, and how it seemed like the whole community made the trip. I now live in the area due to my work, and I love this hockey community. Sure they have their issues, everyone does, but the passion is un-matched, except by maybe a few traditional communities from the metro.

I have another younger son who is working his way through the youth ranks. I hope it gets that chance someday. The chances are long, but it would be fun to experience. Whether he does or not, I will always enjoy our tournament, and will always support a model that keeps our communities from outside of the metro area in attendance.

I understand where you are coming from, but I do not agree that the venue needs to change. Amsoil is the best arena "in the section" for this event. Heck it is the second best arena in the state, behind only The X.
Of course you don't think it needs to change, you live in Duluth! If Cloquet is playing Andover at Ridder do you make that drive?
Damn right I make that drive.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:31 pm

Shotzy a Cloquet hockey fan?

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:33 pm

Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
hockey59 wrote:Hey Schotzy, I simply repeated what you said, that your FROM SLP? Didn’t say you still lived there. Nice reading comprehension 🤪 And I don’t feel jilted at all. Or entitled. My argument is just simple logic. ComIng from someone who no longer has a dog in the fight, but was fortunate enough to have had two sons who were part of 3 Section Finals & one AA State Tourney.
The point was made that the world was bigger than the twin ports, I was pointing out that I was not from the twin ports originally, and that I was fully aware that the world was bigger, and had actually spent a large chunk of my life in said "bigger world". And you did not simply repeat what I said, you added some results of your "web search".

Very glad you had a couple kids play in the section finals and a trip to state. My kid injured himself and his hockey career ended early. Bummer.

I am coming from the perspective of a hockey fan, plain and simple. When I lived in the cities, I always enjoyed seeing the teams from "out-state" (I hate that term) show up. I was enthralled by their fan base, and how it seemed like the whole community made the trip. I now live in the area due to my work, and I love this hockey community. Sure they have their issues, everyone does, but the passion is un-matched, except by maybe a few traditional communities from the metro.

I have another younger son who is working his way through the youth ranks. I hope it gets that chance someday. The chances are long, but it would be fun to experience. Whether he does or not, I will always enjoy our tournament, and will always support a model that keeps our communities from outside of the metro area in attendance.

I understand where you are coming from, but I do not agree that the venue needs to change. Amsoil is the best arena "in the section" for this event. Heck it is the second best arena in the state, behind only The X.
Of course you don't think it needs to change, you live in Duluth! If Cloquet is playing Andover at Ridder do you make that drive?
So then why does it need to stay in the section?

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:45 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

Because it is "in the section". I am not trying to be complicated.

And Kniven, I am a fan, of HS Hockey. If I had to drive to Chicago, Winnipeg, where ever, I would. And I would not complain about it.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Schotzy wrote:

Alright...I appreciate your point of view on the subject, and agree that (you) having lived in the TC does add to your perspective regarding this issue... I stand corrected regarding my earlier take on that (I meant it in jest, but I see now how it didn’t come out that way) 👍 And best of luck to your younger son going forward. Hockey is such a great sport to play & watching your kids play is the next best thing to playing 😎
Last edited by hockey59 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:55 pm

Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

Because it is "in the section". I am not trying to be complicated.

And Kniven, I am a fan, of HS Hockey. If I had to drive to Chicago, Winnipeg, where ever, I would. And I would not complain about it.
Unlike most other sections that are outside of section played at neutral site! Once again, my complaint isn't the drive it is that never on this board have I heard anyone from "up north" admit that it is an advantage....

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:12 pm

MWS coach wrote:Unlike most other sections that are outside of section played at neutral site! Once again, my complaint isn't the drive it is that never on this board have I heard anyone from "up north" admit that it is an advantage....
Technically speaking, Amsoil is a neutral site, even if it is in Duluth. No different than Rochester Century playing at the Rochester Recreation Center in their playoffs. None of the Duluth area teams play their home games at Amsoil. It has happened occasionally, but it is rare, and usually due to issues or conflicts at their home rinks.

Is there an advantage? Probably. When a team on paper is the higher ranked team and walks away with the win, I don't see the argument. Now has Elk River walked out of Amsoil as losers when they "should" have won? Yes. Did the travel have something to do with it? Maybe. It is really hard to say with a high degree of certainty. It is all speculative. The teams are competitive, and thank goodness for that. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, because I think the days of "Northern" dominance are coming to an end. Which is sad when you really think about it.

MWS coach

Post by MWS coach » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Schotzy wrote:
MWS coach wrote:Unlike most other sections that are outside of section played at neutral site! Once again, my complaint isn't the drive it is that never on this board have I heard anyone from "up north" admit that it is an advantage....
Technically speaking, Amsoil is a neutral site, even if it is in Duluth. No different than Rochester Century playing at the Rochester Recreation Center in their playoffs. None of the Duluth area teams play their home games at Amsoil. It has happened occasionally, but it is rare, and usually due to issues or conflicts at their home rinks.

Is there an advantage? Probably. When a team on paper is the higher ranked team and walks away with the win, I don't see the argument. Now has Elk River walked out of Amsoil as losers when they "should" have won? Yes. Did the travel have something to do with it? Maybe. It is really hard to say with a high degree of certainty. It is all speculative. The teams are competitive, and thank goodness for that. Let's enjoy it while it lasts, because I think the days of "Northern" dominance are coming to an end. Which is sad when you really think about it.
Now there are a few things we agree on! :lol: Technically yes neutral site, but c'mon! Yes! you are the first to admit in several years! I would like nothing better to see the 218 teams recover... Hibbing, Virginia, Greenway. One of my favorite memories as a kid at state tourney was watchin Roseau. Cheer for East, not going to happen. A lot of respect for a great program and the best coach in the state, but I can't get to a place to cheer for DE, well maybe in a final against either Hill or STA! Have never said those elks teams would have won the game if at a different site, hey you have to play the game no matter what the challenges are, but have to admit, would be nice to flip around for a year or two and have 3/4 of stands at Fogerty be cheering for the Elks.....

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:57 pm

MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

Now there are a few things we agree on! :lol: Technically yes neutral site, but c'mon! Yes! you are the first to admit in several years! I would like nothing better to see the 218 teams recover... Hibbing, Virginia, Greenway. One of my favorite memories as a kid at state tourney was watchin Roseau. Cheer for East, not going to happen. A lot of respect for a great program and the best coach in the state, but I can't get to a place to cheer for DE, well maybe in a final against either Hill or STA! Have never said those elks teams would have won the game if at a different site, hey you have to play the game no matter what the challenges are, but have to admit, would be nice to flip around for a year or two and have 3/4 of stands at Fogerty be cheering for the Elks.....
This may be a particular example but I still think east fans would show up. A ton of kids skipped school to get in line at Amsoil yesterday morning. Imagine 3 buses of kids showing up and filling in any rink they decide to go to? Why does andover not more students?

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:02 pm

That guy for that thing wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

This may be a particular example but I still think east fans would show up. A ton of kids skipped school to get in line at Amsoil yesterday morning. Imagine 3 buses of kids showing up and filling in any rink they decide to go to? Why does andover not more students?
Got in line in the morning for what?

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:28 pm

Video highlights of Duluth East-Andover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXyRkMn2o6A

Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:58 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
That guy for that thing wrote:
MWS coach wrote:
Schotzy wrote:

Got in line in the morning for what?
They line up to get the best seats in the student section along the glass. It has happened the last several years.

duluth dave

Post by duluth dave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:22 pm

I don't hear complaining about state tournament being home ice for metro teams.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:46 pm

duluth dave wrote:I don't hear complaining about state tournament being home ice for metro teams.
Don't you know by now that it is a much bigger burden for metro families to travel outstate than it is for outstate families to travel to the metro?

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:44 pm

zooomx wrote:
duluth dave wrote:I don't hear complaining about state tournament being home ice for metro teams.
Don't you know by now that it is a much bigger burden for metro families to travel outstate than it is for outstate families to travel to the metro?
As I noted earlier, there is a LPH Banquet for all the AA teams on Wednesday night at the St Paul Auditorium attached to the X. So all the outstate teams arrive Wed afternoon and stay in a downtown St Paul hotel until there are eliminated or the tourney concludes ...while some of the Metro teams stay in a hotel in downtown St Paul starting Wed night, and the cheaper TC schools starting on Thursday night... and all stay in the hotel until they are eliminated or the tourney concludes. Thanks the DEFINITION of a neutral site Tourney. 😉😲

duluth dave

Post by duluth dave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:13 pm

I don't think the kids from Andover or Elk River mind going to amsoil. Just like outstate kids dont mind travelling to the cities. Its the fans who whine and make excuses.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:30 pm

duluth dave wrote:I don't think the kids from Andover or Elk River mind going to amsoil. Just like outstate kids dont mind travelling to the cities. Its the fans who whine and make excuses.
Of course they don’t mind going to Amsoil, they’re competitors & will play on the moon to play at STATE...THEY DONT HAVE A CHOICE. And Outstate kids DON’T travel to the TC to play in SECTIONS. Think what you want...it’s not leaving Amsoil anytime soon...I get that. But unless you've actually played in a Section Final at the DECC or Amsoil (on a Thursday night) for Andover, ER, Anoka...during the past 15-20 years...how would YOU know how they feel about playing 2.5 hours from home in a SECTION FINAL?

duluth dave

Post by duluth dave » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:53 pm

Well sections are over I think its time to move on.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:10 pm

hockey59 wrote:
zooomx wrote:
As I noted earlier, there is a LPH Banquet for all the AA teams on Wednesday night at the St Paul Auditorium attached to the X. So all the outstate teams arrive Wed afternoon and stay in a downtown St Paul hotel until there are eliminated or the tourney concludes ...while some of the Metro teams stay in a hotel in downtown St Paul starting Wed night, and the cheaper TC schools starting on Thursday night... and all stay in the hotel until they are eliminated or the tourney concludes. Thanks the DEFINITION of a neutral site Tourney. 😉😲
Sorry, I looked up "Definition of Neutral site Tourney" and it says something completely different. What the heck? Seriously, metro angst over anything regarding unfairness compared to up north is just plain funny. Thanks for the laughs.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:59 am

[quote="hockey59"Of course they don’t mind going to Amsoil, they’re competitors & will play on the moon to play at STATE...THEY DONT HAVE A CHOICE. [/quote]

This year Elk River and Andover had the chance to move the semifinal to the cities and they chose Amsoil. As far as scheduling games in another arena for semis or finals, you can talk all you want, but it will NEVER change. All of us who love Amsoil Arena and Duluth can just kick back and laugh at the haters who will NEVER get their way. This is a business decision for 7AA. It's like wanting the State Tourney moved to St. Louis. You can talk all you want, but it will never happen.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:15 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:[quote="hockey59"Of course they don’t mind going to Amsoil, they’re competitors & will play on the moon to play at STATE...THEY DONT HAVE A CHOICE.
This year Elk River and Andover had the chance to move the semifinal to the cities and they chose Amsoil. As far as scheduling games in another arena for semis or finals, you can talk all you want, but it will NEVER change. All of us who love Amsoil Arena and Duluth can just kick back and laugh at the haters who will NEVER get their way. This is a business decision for 7AA. It's like wanting the State Tourney moved to St. Louis. You can talk all you want, but it will never happen.[/quote]

Why would they move the state tournament to St. Louis? Was that really the best analogy you could think of?

How about 'it's like wanting the State Tournament in Duluth. Talk all you want, but it will never happen.'

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:53 am

DJ...I thought you were a GR fan? Do you work for the Duluth Area Chamber of Commerce too? Or Amsoil Arena? If MONEY is the sole determining factor in where the 7AA Section Final is held , Oh Brother, the MSHSL has bigger fish to fry than I realized. But I guess winning a State Title after 36-37 years has simply made you Delirious...(like the Prince song) 😉👍 I’ll say this for the last time ☝️my issue has never been the (none school day) semifinal at the DECC or Amsoil, as I recall, it worked out nicely on a Saturday in Feb 2008 😉 My issue is the Thursday night Final on (a school day) in Feb. But if your OK with the 1:45 hr bus ride for the Indians...to play DE or DM or Cloquet....I guess I should just fall into line. 😙 End of Discussion 😎

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:40 pm

green4 wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:[quote="hockey59"Of course they don’t mind going to Amsoil, they’re competitors & will play on the moon to play at STATE...THEY DONT HAVE A CHOICE.
This year Elk River and Andover had the chance to move the semifinal to the cities and they chose Amsoil. As far as scheduling games in another arena for semis or finals, you can talk all you want, but it will NEVER change. All of us who love Amsoil Arena and Duluth can just kick back and laugh at the haters who will NEVER get their way. This is a business decision for 7AA. It's like wanting the State Tourney moved to St. Louis. You can talk all you want, but it will never happen.
Why would they move the state tournament to St. Louis? Was that really the best analogy you could think of?

hyperbole

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:43 pm

hockey59 wrote:DJ...I thought you were a GR fan? Do you work for the Duluth Area Chamber of Commerce too? Or Amsoil Arena? If MONEY is the sole determining factor in where the 7AA Section Final is held , Oh Brother, the MSHSL has bigger fish to fry than I realized. But I guess winning a State Title after 36-37 years has simply made you Delirious...(like the Prince song) 😉👍 I’ll say this for the last time ☝️my issue has never been the (none school day) semifinal at the DECC or Amsoil, as I recall, it worked out nicely on a Saturday in Feb 2008 😉 My issue is the Thursday night Final on (a school day) in Feb. But if your OK with the 1:45 hr bus ride for the Indians...to play DE or DM or Cloquet....I guess I should just fall into line. 😙 End of Discussion 😎
Is there a 7,000 seat arena closer to GR than Duluth? And if there is one, is it as nice of a facility as Amsoil? You don't need to work for the Duluth Chamber to know it is the best city in Minnesota north of St. Paul by a huge margin.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:40 am

I have to agree with DJ on this one. Amsoil is easily the best place for this section tournament. Aside from the latest amenities it has the seating capacity. The anticipation of going to Duluth for sections and then to St. Paul for state is what fans and players wait for all year.

I'm not from Duluth or St. Paul and have no beef with the games at these locations. On the contrary, I think it's a great tradition.