Doulbe AA state participants

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Doulbe AA state participants

Post by elliott70 »

1. Lakeville North
2. Minnetonka
3. STA
4. WBL or HM
5. Centennial
6. Edina
7 Duluth East
8. St M / Albertville

Section 4 is Friday, one to go.

What will the seeding look like?
Last edited by elliott70 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonkafan77

Post by tonkafan77 »

Assuming WBL beats Hill, I would imagine the following would be the seeds:

1) Minnetonka
2) Edina
3) STA
4) Duluth East
5) WBL
6) Centennial
7) STMA
8 ) Lakeville

If Hill wins, I would probably put Centennial at the 5. Don't think it matters which Lakeville team wins and assuming Centennial and East take care of business.

Not sure if last night's results does anything to the 1/2 line. Coming into Wednesday, I felt it was pretty clear Tonka would be the 1 and Edina would be the 2 (assuming they both won). Edina's blowout and Tonka's close call COULD be enough to swap that but I think head to head trumps.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

tonkafan77 wrote:Assuming WBL beats Hill, I would imagine the following would be the seeds:

1) Minnetonka
2) Edina
3) STA
4) Duluth East
5) WBL
6) Centennial
7) STMA
8 ) Lakeville

If Hill wins, I would probably put Centennial at the 5. Don't think it matters which Lakeville team wins and assuming Centennial and East take care of business.

Not sure if last night's results does anything to the 1/2 line. Coming into Wednesday, I felt it was pretty clear Tonka would be the 1 and Edina would be the 2 (assuming they both won). Edina's blowout and Tonka's close call COULD be enough to swap that but I think head to head trumps.

I think East will be 3 and STA 4. In years past the seedings usually go along with LPH rankings.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

They will likely give Tonka #1, but I'd put Edina there. Either way they lock up 1 and 2.

1. Tonka
2. Edina
3. DE is going to win big tonight and get the #3
4. St. Thomas wins in a closer game tonight and beats WBL in overtime in a thriller.
5. WBL does it Friday (I'll be there)
6. Centennial wins in OT tonight and gets blown out by DE
7. Lakeville N wins tonight and will end up playing Tonka in a tight one.
8. STMA gets this and will play...Edina. It will be ugly. Thanks for showing up STMA. Better luck in the consolation bracket.

I think this is one of the strongest top sided brackets in a long time. That doesn't always mean there won't be upsets, but I wouldn't bet on them.
Traxler

Post by Traxler »

Hard to say what the coaches will vote. I wouldn't be surprised if Edina gets the 1.

1. Edina
2. Minnetonka
3. Duluth East
4. STA
5. WBL

If Hill beats WBL then Centennial should get the 5.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Traxler wrote:Hard to say what the coaches will vote. I wouldn't be surprised if Edina gets the 1.

1. Edina
2. Minnetonka
3. Duluth East
4. STA
5. WBL

If Hill beats WBL then Centennial should get the 5.
I don't disagree that Edina is the best team but this alignment creates a problem since Minnetonka beat Edina twice but got beat by DE at home. Minnetonka will either be #1 or #3. Most likely #1.
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

I am very interested about the 1/2 position as well. Edina has been destroying people.

Personally, I think Edina should be 1. I know if I was coaching that is the team I would not want to face the most.

If i had to bet, I think Minnetonka gets the 1 seed.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

I think Edina has a strong case for #1. Even though they lost to Tonka twice, they also DESTROYED them once. Anyone who was at that game in Edina will vote them #1. I think they will pick Tonka, but if they do pick Edina it will make sense. There is not clear seed #s as all the top crew has beaten up on each other all season and they only have a few loses each (mostly to each other).
Joe2015

Post by Joe2015 »

1 - Minnetonka
2 - Edina
3 - Duluth East
4 - St. Thomas Academy
5 - White Bear Lake (if they win)
or
5 - Centennial (WBL Loss)

That's how I see it: although 1 and 2 are coin flips as are 3 and 4
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I checked my phone at about 8:30 last night & saw "Andover 2, Duluth East 0" and "End of 2, STA & Eastview tied 1-1" and instantly thought "this may be a rather meh state tournament next week if a few things don't change. As much fun as it would be to have some new blood in Andover, it's still fun to see the traditional jerseys on the ice at the dance.

It's as if the seeding needs to be broken down into 3 groups: 1 & 2, 3 & 4, & 5 & "random draw." I think most agree that Tonka & Edina are 1-2 in whichever order. East beat Tonka so perhaps & argument about that, but I think overall body of work comes into play over 1 game. Plus, and this may contradict the 1 game I just mentioned, but East lost to EP, a team that Edina & Tonka both handled multiple times by more than a goal. Perhaps East would beat EP by multiple goals if they played another 3 times, but it is what it is. I think you can make an argument for both sides, but the head to head will most likely trump out & think it will go Tonka 1, Edina 2.

STA & Duluth East 3 & 4 are a coin flip & could go either way & I don't think either side has much to really be upset about. They both have tried to do the best with their schedules considering the teams they play the most, STA's conference in their case & just who East can face as much as possible.
Both have arguments for & against them: STA beat EP twice, East beat Tonka where STA went 0-1-1 against Tonka, both have a loss late in the season to a team they should beat (STA's loss to Marshall probably considered a worse loss than East to C-E-C), etc. etc. etc. The only reason I could see one being upset is because of match-up & they'd rather face a "random draw" instead of a 5 seed, whether it be WBL (if they win) or Centennial. But, if they do somewhat seed it & the other is the 6, then it probably isn't a big deal.

5 & 6: White Bear & Centennial: I think these 2 have the claim over LN & STMA. Similar resumes: WBL slightly better record, both lost to Edina close 1 time each (Centennial another loss by more), WBL a tie against East & Centennial a loss to East, WBL with probably the worst loss to Century. Personally, I would give the 5 to WBL, but if it's not a random draw & the other gets the 6 vs. 3, then it probably isn't a big deal.

Random Draw: I used to be on the side that it wasn't random, using '10, '11 & '12 as evidence that the statistical probability of the 1AA representative always playing against the 1 seed (even though it bit East in '12). But I really do think it's random now, especially since they've gone to seeding 5.

But....if they DO seed it 1 through 8

1-2: Probably Tonka, then Edina,
3-4: Duluth East or St Thomas Academy (as covered above)
5-6: WBL or Centennial (I lean WBL for 5).

Last 2: Awesome story for STMA & for Lakeville North to be back after a few year break....but I think most are expecting them to be at Mariucci on Friday morning.

If Hill beats WBL, probably makes it easy for the 5 seed to Centennial. If it's not a random draw, I don't know who gets 6-7-8. Hill definitely played the more daunting schedule, but records are records. I think STMA would be considered the 6. At that point, 7 & 8....who cares...just play the games.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Edina smells weakness after watching close games for Minnetonka and East . Will this give Hornets justified confidence , or perhaps overconfidence?

Tonka and East looking over their shoulder realizing they got here in large part by puck luck at the end of the game, will this give them the jitters or will they be more battle hardened and ready ?

STA saw what a huge difference a hot goalie can make against the top teams, they know they have the best goalie. How will that affect them going in?

STMA with chip on their shoulder, perhaps the most motivated of all teams, after traveling to away arenas and beating a couple top 10 teams in a row to get to Saint Paul for the first time ?
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

STMA was the 2 seed. They hosted their first two play-off games and played the championship at a neutral site.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
50in15

Post by 50in15 »

"I checked my phone at about 8:30 last night & saw "Andover 2, Duluth East 0" and "End of 2, STA & Eastview tied 1-1" and instantly thought "this may be a rather meh state tournament next week if a few things don't change. As much fun as it would be to have some new blood in Andover, it's still fun to see the traditional jerseys on the ice at the dance."

I had the same exact anxiety. Happy to see STMA. Didn't face many traditional powers but they have a solid record. Could surprise a team.