Road vs Home Jerseys

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Joe2015

Road vs Home Jerseys

Post by Joe2015 » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:53 pm

Does anyone know why hockey teams at most levels (except for the NHL, who switched during the 05 lockout I believe) wear white jerseys at home?

I really wish this would change. I would much rather see a team in their color jerseys. Just think of some of the colors that are synonymous with a certain school: Grand Rapids Orange, Edina Green, Roseau Green, Warroad Black, Jefferson Blue.

Just think of how distinctive those jerseys/colors are as opposed to a generic white.

I actually think it would be cool if both teams wore color jerseys: with only using white if the two colors are too similar and you need to differentiate.

Thoughts?

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:07 pm

I wish the NHL would go back to Whites at home. In the words of the Fiddler on the Roof, “TRADITION!!!”
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

sparty

Post by sparty » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:18 pm

Whatever you just said...I agree.

paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:20 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:I wish the NHL would go back to Whites at home. In the words of the Fiddler on the Roof, “TRADITION!!!”
I think they changed it because so many teams were wearing "alternate" jerseys that were colored and teams had to pack both sets of uniforms when travelling. Easier to pack 1 set of uniforms. And from 1955-1971 teams wore colored uniforms at home and white on the road.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:18 pm

I could be wrong, but I think the NHL switched to white on the road with an eye toward selling more jerseys, which for some odd reason are often referred to as "sweaters" by some in hockey circles. Most or all of the third jerseys are colored, so they expose home fans to two jerseys instead of one.

Just because a franchise has two colored jerseys doesn't mean that they have to take both sets on the road.

The MSHSL allows TV to require the home team to wear dark uniforms if they feel the home whites won't broadcast well for some reason. And those getting long in the tooth will recall a late 70's game when Edina East and Roseau both took the ice in green.

Can't exactly say why, but I prefer home teams in white. Seems like in most sports at most levels that's the case. I suspect it may be because the "good guys" are in the white hats.

Gov78

Post by Gov78 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:33 pm

My first thought was the home team wearing white came from baseball where all teams only had white and gray (flannel) uniforms and that road was grey due to lack of laundry facilities when on road and did a little research and that was the reason for this so I guess I fall into the old guy camp for knowing useless trivia.

paulsonj72

Post by paulsonj72 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:16 pm

East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the NHL switched to white on the road with an eye toward selling more jerseys, which for some odd reason are often referred to as "sweaters" by some in hockey circles. Most or all of the third jerseys are colored, so they expose home fans to two jerseys instead of one.

Just because a franchise has two colored jerseys doesn't mean that they have to take both sets on the road.

The MSHSL allows TV to require the home team to wear dark uniforms if they feel the home whites won't broadcast well for some reason. And those getting long in the tooth will recall a late 70's game when Edina East and Roseau both took the ice in green.

Can't exactly say why, but I prefer home teams in white. Seems like in most sports at most levels that's the case. I suspect it may be because the "good guys" are in the white hats.
I THINK they are called sweaters because when hockey WAS an outdoor sport they literally were sweaters to help keep the players warm.(I could be wrong though)

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:07 pm

paulsonj72 wrote:
East Side Pioneer Guy wrote:I could be wrong, but I think the NHL switched to white on the road with an eye toward selling more jerseys, which for some odd reason are often referred to as "sweaters" by some in hockey circles. Most or all of the third jerseys are colored, so they expose home fans to two jerseys instead of one.

I THINK they are called sweaters because when hockey WAS an outdoor sport they literally were sweaters to help keep the players warm.(I could be wrong though)
You may well be right on that. I just see it as an archaic thing. Like when people of my parents' generation would talk about someone "leaving all the lights in the house burning." Even though we'd switched from gas lights to electric lights about 70 years before that. Life's such a drag when you live in the past.

BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:29 am

paulsonj72 wrote:
This is exactly the reason they are called sweaters. Even when they first moved indoors, the arenas had natural ice, which means the arenas were dang cold as well. Imagine playing the game in thick, wool sweaters.

I have no problem with them being called sweaters, but I am a sucker for traditions.

Thegoldenjet

Post by Thegoldenjet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:12 am

White or light uniforms didn't travel as well, revealed more dirt and wear from the road thus the colored or darker uniforms were preferred for travel. May or may not be true, I'm not sure.

HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:58 pm

I wonder if we'll see 45TV tell Tonka to wear there white helmets with there white sweaters if Tonka plays STA in the semis?2 blue and white teams both wearing blue helmets,and the team in white has a big blue strip through the middle of there sweater.It Could get a bit confusing for those watching on TV...Or at the X for that matter.Tonka wearing there White buckets would be a little more aesthetically pleasing one would think.
Go Zephyrs

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:40 pm

HSPuckFan wrote:

I wonder if we'll see 45TV tell Tonka to wear there white helmets with there white sweaters if Tonka plays STA in the semis?2 blue and white teams both wearing blue helmets,and the team in white has a big blue strip through the middle of there sweater.It Could get a bit confusing for those watching on TV...Or at the X for that matter.Tonka wearing there White buckets would be a little more aesthetically pleasing one would think.

Not to worry, STA will not make it to the semis.

East Side Pioneer Guy

Post by East Side Pioneer Guy » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:03 pm

elliott70 wrote:
HSPuckFan wrote:

Not to worry, STA will not make it to the semis.
So a Hill-Centennial semi-final? Cool!