AA QF: Lakeville North vs. #2 Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Panthers
16%
Hornets
84%

Total votes: 25

karl(east)

AA QF: Lakeville North vs. #2 Edina

Post by karl(east) »

LAKEVILLE NORTH VS. #2 EDINA
-Two powers collide in a rematch of the 2014 championship game, and the 2015 championship game that wasn’t. This will be their first meeting since North’s 2015 regular season win.

Lakeville North (16-10-2, #17, 1-seed in 1AA)
State appearances: 7 (first since 2015)
Championships: 1 (2015)
Key section win: 4-3 over #21 Lakeville South
-The Panthers haven’t had a dominant season, but they stayed competitive with top teams most of the time, including a tie with Minnetonka and a one-goal loss to Duluth East in December. Blake Brandt (7) and Spencer Schneider (14) are their big guns offensively, with Shane Griffin (25) rounding out the top line. Garrett Daly (16) is one of the top senior defensemen in the state, and they also enjoy the services of a very solid goaltender in Will Johnson (31). The top line can match up with a number of the others in the state, but their depth is where they will be tested, especially against a team like Edina. The list of things that need to go right to avoid Mariucci is long, but not impossible to achieve.

Edina (26-2, #2, 1-seed in 6AA)
State appearances: 38 (6 as Edina East/West in 70s and 80s; first since 2015)
Championships: 12 (1969, 1971, 1982, 1984, 1988, 1997, 2010, 2013, and 2014 as Edina; 1974, 1978, and 1979 as Edina East)
Key section win: 8-1 over #11 Wayzata
-The Hornets may be the second seed, but they’re the force to be reckoned with in this Tournament, as they’ve made some good teams look bad this season, and have lost only to Minnetonka. They have the most explosive top two lines in the state, with presumptive Mr. Hockey Sammy Walker (10) and his linemates Jett Jungels (22) and Mason Nevers (18) are front-line talents in their own right. Their second Mr. Hockey contender, Demetrios Koumontzis (23), leads the second line, and is joined by Lewis Crosby (11). Ben Brinkman (17) has some of the best high-end potential on defense in the state, and combines with Jake Boltmann (2), Mike Vorlicky (20), and Mason Reiners (20) to form an elite blue line club. There are some questions in goal, where Garrett Mackay (30) is their man, and the young defense can get thrown off some at times. But if they play up to their potential, they are the prohibitive favorite.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Wow, these two teams have had some memorable games, and in some cases with not so memorable moments.

Only saw the Panthers once this year, and they took Tonka right to the end Thanksgiving weekend..

Have really been hearing a lot about Daly since then, so will be exciting to see a couple of the states best dmen on the ice at the same time.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Edina 6 LN 3 Hornets are the most explosive team in the tourney with the most blue chip players. Question is will they do all the little things it takes to win. Haven’t seen LN this year, so really don’t know what to expect from them, but I know they have a good team & will certainly battle HARD. But Edina comes at you in waves. Suffice to say G. Daly will log a lot of ice time on D for LN.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Free audio stream via State of Hockey on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUxF_27TvPE
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Daly might play 30 minutes today, excited to see it.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

That Edina PP is ridiculous.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

TheNightman wrote:That Edina PP is ridiculous.
When Edina is ON...they can steamroll (pretty much) any team in the field...
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

I think the people attending the tournament should get ready to hear the Hornet Fight Song a lot this weekend....

I actually don't think Lakeville is playing too poorly. Goalie is making some big saves, they've had a few chances, they're playing physical. But the 2nd goal....Edina doesn't need help from a defenseman making a turnover...
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Sammy Walker 💣BOOM Short Handed breakaway goal. Now 3-0 Edina
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

Chorske called up from jv and now plays first line for the tournament?
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Doc Holliday wrote:I think the people attending the tournament should get ready to hear the Hornet Fight Song a lot this weekend....

I actually don't think Lakeville is playing too poorly. Goalie is making some big saves, they've had a few chances, they're playing physical. But the 2nd goal....Edina doesn't need help from a defenseman making a turnover...
I was thinking the same thing. North is doing pretty much everything they need to do aside from a couple turnovers, but as 59 said- Edina is just flat out good.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

MrBoDangles wrote:Chorske called up from jv and now plays first line for the tournament?
I thought that was strange too.

Seems like they're rolling Walker-Jungels-Nevers, Koumo-Chorske-Crosby?
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

TheNightman wrote:
MrBoDangles wrote:Chorske called up from jv and now plays first line for the tournament?

Maybe someone received a membership at Interlachen?
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

TheNightman wrote:

Chorske is currently playing RW on the 2nd line, but Liam Malmquist has played in this spot too, among I believe others. Chorske is a junior & also played some varsity last season.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

That Walker kid is ok.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

I hope LN can pull this back to respectability at some point. Right now Edina looks like a college team.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Now 7-1...LVN needs to score a quick one in last 2 minutes or its running time to start the 3rd period.
jeffpv

Post by jeffpv »

I'm perplexed that Edina has managed to lose twice this year. Especially since the only time I've been able to see Minnetonka was when they lost 8-2 to Edina :-D
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

hockey59 wrote:Now 7-1...LVN needs to score a quick one in last 2 minutes or its running time to start the 3rd period.
Mercy..... press the fast forward button on the clock.. :wink:
green4

Post by green4 »

Good game from Edina.

Brinkman was great, Vorlicky and Reiner quietly had nice games as well.

Walker is a special player, his speed is fantastic. That last goal really showcased it when he beat North to the loose puck that the goalie left behind the net. They then showed off their great puck movement for an easy tap in.

Edina seemed to handle the physicality of North pretty well, hopefully they can keep it up.
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

green4 wrote:Brinkman was great
I think this is key. He was quietly really great. Didn't try to do too much, but really looks in complete control when he's out there. The move he made before the pass up the ice for the Nevers goal was filthy...

As awesome as Walker is, I think when Brinkman's on, he's the best player on the ice....
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

hockey59 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

Chorske is currently playing RW on the 2nd line, but Liam Malmquist has played in this spot too, among I believe others. Chorske is a junior & also played some varsity last season.
He was brought up late in the season and had played on this line ever since. Also if this is Edina’s first line that means Sam Walker is on the second line. Yikes.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

All I can say is Edina’s depth at all positions is unbelievable . Last count , 5 players over 40 points, 4 over 20 goals . Very unselfish team , Walker could have had a couple more today , but passed the puck . Also 3 D1s on D.

Hounds can play with them if firing on all cylinders for 51 minutes and with proper line match , trap, and Section 7 D, but that’s what it’s going to take
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:All I can say is Edina’s depth at all positions is unbelievable . Last count , 5 players over 40 points, 4 over 20 goals . Very unselfish team , Walker could have had a couple more today , but passed the puck . Also 3 D1s on D.

Hounds can play with them if firing on all cylinders for 51 minutes and with proper line match , trap, and Section 7 D, but that’s what it’s going to take
Very well stated WM! This is THE game I was hoping to see...since Christmas. I guess this Christmas present came 73 days late 😉👍
CakeScout17

Edina comments Thursday vs. LV N

Post by CakeScout17 »

Was bit worried about LVN putting the metal to the Hornet and was proven correct within those first 4 minutes - I thought it was time to find out what Edina is made of and/or this will be good prep for DE. Then "blink, blink" - in an instant an Edina rout was on! The Hornet is 23-0 (I believe) when scoring first. That fist goal is huge. For any team its huge but these hornets really start buzzing when one of their own nets the first - it just becomes relentless frenzy of to see who will be tickling the twine next - that said? DK23 might not sleep much tonight as much as he played well vs. LVN he's starving for a goal - I think DK23 will rise to occasion tmrw night vs. DE - he will need to...not only does DK have the offensive skills but he can play physical, esp on the backchecking. DK is the heaviest of the Edina forwards and can give as good as he receives. Its also this 2nd line of DK/Crosby/Chorske (who has improved over course of season) that can keep Edina running w/ the Hounds. However, some quick points re: what Edina will need to bring to the table versus DE;

1) REALITY CHECK:
You're not going to be able to skate DE off the ice nor will the DE kids 'watch' you try to do so. Hornets must stay relentless for 51 minutes. All of them. DE has skill, size, pride and top-notch coaching. Always has, always will. They will come at you, hit you every chance they get. Thats the scouting report on playing Edina. Hit them early and often. SO, let them - deploy the Ali 'rope-a-dope' so that by midway through the 3rd when DE legs get heavy (see rent CEC/MG games versus DE)... can then put on the skating clinic.

2) Make name for yourself by taking their hits and HIT(TING) BACK.
Time to put down the cake and act like your eating a Manny's Porterhouse - DE will be! Hornets so skilled and fast and oh so fun to watch - but DE doesn't care. They don't care who your Daddy is, was or will be - so bring it son, bring an aggressive, controlled game so you don't have to rely on Daddys name - rely on and make your OWN NAME! Brinkman must set the tone here early and often. When he does the others follow suit!

3) Keep SPECIAL TEAMS D disciplined:
Since the Tonka loss at Tonka the D has played much tighter, more disciplined. When BB17 plays smooth and smart the rest follow - keep it up. No breaky? No fixy. KEEP WMD outside the dots and jam the lanes esp on any PP's.

4) LET THE FORWARDS DO WHAT THEY DO:
Giles brought Chorske and Bishop back up about 6 games ago to get the bigger, longer players Edina lacked all year up from JV - as JV afforded more playing time - Giles knew he would need their length come sectionals (Wyz) and esp come state tourney. Both players have come a long way...esp Chorske on the 2nd line - Malmquist is a great husler/competitor but Edina truly needs the size/length at this time of year. Good job mixing them in as Edina lets the forwards do what they do. Step on the gas and keep it floored. (See Edina 8-2 vic over Tonka at Braemar on 1/25).

It should be a great contest. D, led by Brinkman is key - don't force the action, play your game and earn it - let forwards handle the rest. Watch/Need solid games from BB17, DK23 and keep sleepy eye out for the all-senior Edina 3rd line. Its arguably best 3rd line in state...my prediction comes down to this:
IF Edina 3rd line (Borst/Shoemaker/Swanson) nets just 1 goal? Edina wins.

Edina 4
DE 3

In a battle none will ever forget.