AA QF: #5 Centennial vs. #4 St. Thomas Academy

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Cougars
17%
Cadets
83%

Total votes: 23

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Btw ,Terrible call when refs reversed the disallowed goal call on the ice. There was not clear and convincing evidence to overturn the call on the ice. After watching the video many times from several angles including the overhead angle, imho STA 22 interfered with Travis Allen in the crease so Allen could not get over to make the save. Had the call on the ice been a good goal to begin with and not been disallowed, I could have better understood it
Last edited by WestMetro on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote:Well done Cougars , especially Travis Allen , there is one excited goalie Mom out there tonight!!!
Buy that lady a few tonight Westy:!: :!:
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

Congrats to Neut.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote:Btw ,Terrible call when refs reversed the disallowed goal call on the ice. There was not clear and convincing evidence to overturn the call on the ice. After watching the video many times from several angles including the overhead angle, imho STA 22 interfered with Travis Allen in the crease so Allen could not get over to make the save. Had the call on the ice been a good goal to begin with and not been reversed, I could have better understood it
Agree 100% Westy!! Allen was blocked from recovering the rebound opportunity.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Here is the overhead view , the best view imho

https://mobile.twitter.com/shaynepasqui ... 1942423557
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

IMHO though, it shouldn't have been disallowed in the first place. So in the end I believe it ended up correct. It was one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't calls.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Lots different opinions on this one, my texting is running about 50/50. To add further complexity , final scoring gave the goal to original STa shooter stucker and not STa 22 on the rebound tip. This tells me the puck must’ve actually deflected off Cent skater just behind STa 22, I thing it was Wagner

Glad it didn’t turn out to be the deciding goal

Both Allen and Kelly got run over 3-4 times in this game . Lou Nanne said couldn’t remember this much goalie contact in any state Trny game .
Ref22

Post by Ref22 »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:IMHO though, it shouldn't have been disallowed in the first place. So in the end I believe it ended up correct. It was one of those damned if you do and damned if you don't calls.
Correct. Ref was out of position on that goal but luckily he got it right after talking with the replay guys.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

WestMetro wrote:Lots different opinions on this one, my texting is running about 50/50. To add further complexity , final scoring gave the goal to original STa shooter stucker and not STa 22 on the rebound tip. This tells me the puck must’ve actually deflected off Cent skater just behind STa 22, I thing it was Wagner

Both Allen and Kelly got run over 3-4 times in this game . Lou Nanne said couldn’t remember this much goalie contact in any state Trny game .
The officiating was as bad as I can remember since a Hill/Lakeville game a decade or so ago where Hill turned it into a tackle football game with no repercussions. It was bad both ways, but really bad for a state tournament game.
tezer13

Post by tezer13 »

My old Pee Wee coach, Glenn Stevens, used to always tell us "Hustle beats talent when talent doesn't hustle". Funny thing was I never knew if he was saying we were the talent and better hustle, or they were and we could still beat them if "we" hustle. :)

St. Thomas was great with the puck, composed, heads up nice plays and deadly out front, but out front was the only real time they seemed to have desire, with the exception of #14 who flew around the ice. #17 had some gusto as well, especially on the back check on Wagner.

Lax may be an understatement, how many times was #8, Wagner sitting in front of Academy's net with about a 8 foot radius of free space - twice for sure and one turned into a goal. How easy did the Cougars come out of their own end?

Those were my observations. Great game! The Cougars looked good and Minnetonka better not sit back and rely on skill.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

My thoughts: I thought both teams looked very average. Tonka looked fantastic in the first and if both teams play the way they did tonight it will be Tonka by 3-4 goals. Centennial goalie was spectacular! He won the game for them. The disputed goal was a goal. Guy shoots into the goalie and it bounced back at the 2 skaters flying into the net. In real speed the goalie had no chance to react to be blocked AND Centennial defenseman put the puck in the net. If it doesn’t hit the centennial player it wouldn’t have gone in.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

goldy313 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Lots different opinions on this one, my texting is running about 50/50. To add further complexity , final scoring gave the goal to original STa shooter stucker and not STa 22 on the rebound tip. This tells me the puck must’ve actually deflected off Cent skater just behind STa 22, I thing it was Wagner

The officiating was as bad as I can remember since a Hill/Lakeville game a decade or so ago where Hill turned it into a tackle football game with no repercussions. It was bad both ways, but really bad for a state tournament game.
The more physical, desperate team won, plain & simple. Wasn’t a tackle FB game last night. I have to tip my cap to the Cougars...this group of seniors has always been GOOD...all the way up.. but clearly built up some perseverance through tough Section losses (the past 2 years) and refused to go down last night. I think it’s an old Cus Damata expression “ Build will, not skill” and it showed last night at CRUNCH time. STA is a damn good team, but they got out gritted last night and hung their goalie out to dry on Centennial’s first 2 goals. Then got the PP the last 1:55 of regulation & simply failed to execute (to tie it)
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:My thoughts: I thought both teams looked very average. Tonka looked fantastic in the first and if both teams play the way they did tonight it will be Tonka by 3-4 goals. Centennial goalie was spectacular! He won the game for them. The disputed goal was a goal. Guy shoots into the goalie and it bounced back at the 2 skaters flying into the net. In real speed the goalie had no chance to react to be blocked AND Centennial defenseman put the puck in the net. If it doesn’t hit the centennial player it wouldn’t have gone in.
I agree with this. To me neither team stood out like Edina, East, Tonka. STA will probably make some noise in the consolation bracket, but I don't expect Centennial to do much in the championship bracket. There, now I'm ready to eat crow. LOL.
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

hockey59 wrote:
goldy313 wrote:

The more physical, desperate team won, plain & simple. Wasn’t a tackle FB game last night. I have to tip my cap to the Cougars...this group of seniors has always been GOOD...all the way up.. but clearly built up some perseverance through tough Section losses (the past 2 years) and refused to go down last night. I think it’s an old Cus Damata expression “ Build will, not skill” and it showed last night at CRUNCH time. STA is a damn good team, but they got out gritted last night and hung their goalie out to dry on Centennial’s first 2 goals. Then got the PP the last 1:55 of regulation & simply failed to execute (to tie it)
So your on the PP and you pull your goalie. Does that mean you put five guys in front of the net and only one back on the blue line? I couldn't believe how easy it was for Cent to clear the puck.

Next question for the forum.... Is there such a thing as goaltender interference in HS hockey? They call it all the time in Pro's and College.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Looks like STA may be the new White Bear. This loss is a replay of their loss to East and loss to Lakeville South. They do not play well in their own end. Seems like the whole team is more interested in a fast break offense than playing any defense. Forwards do not backcheck like other good teams and the defensemen are MIA often. Just take a look at the highlights of the East/STA game and it is amazing how left alone the goalie is. Not any different than last night.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Really like that Centennial team, that was fun to watch. Minnetonka is going to have to play a lot better than they did yesterday if they want to advance.
ryguyMN

Post by ryguyMN »

WestMetro wrote:Btw ,Terrible call when refs reversed the disallowed goal call on the ice. There was not clear and convincing evidence to overturn the call on the ice. After watching the video many times from several angles including the overhead angle, imho STA 22 interfered with Travis Allen in the crease so Allen could not get over to make the save. Had the call on the ice been a good goal to begin with and not been disallowed, I could have better understood it
I disagree and thought this was a good goal. Wagner pushes Herzog into Allen.
Ryan
I like my games and takes juicy
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

ryguyMN wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Btw ,Terrible call when refs reversed the disallowed goal call on the ice. There was not clear and convincing evidence to overturn the call on the ice. After watching the video many times from several angles including the overhead angle, imho STA 22 interfered with Travis Allen in the crease so Allen could not get over to make the save. Had the call on the ice been a good goal to begin with and not been disallowed, I could have better understood it
I disagree and thought this was a good goal. Wagner pushes Herzog into Allen.
That's what I saw too, clearly pushed into him by the defenseman. Not sure why you're the first to mention that point.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Like I say, Lots of different opinions on this one. Ryguy That’s what I thought happened before I saw the overhead view a few times. The overhead view shows me that Herzog first Went into the crease on his own With his stick stretched outward toward Allen attempting to knock the rebound in. Stick and body made contact with Allen in the crease Preventing Allen from making the move over to make the rebound save, at which time carter tried to move him out, and puck then deflected off carter and in

Herzog had an affirmative duty not to enter crease and make contact with Allen while trying to position himself to save the second shot

All the different opinions gets back to my point : that the call on the Ice should’ve stood

Glad it wasn’t the GWG !
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

The question none of us will be able to answer is why the official waved it off in the first place. I thought it should have been a good goal the first time I saw it and in every replay that they showed. The goalie never had control of the puck and it went in off of an oncoming player.

My only thought on why he waved it off, was that he lost sight of the puck and thought the goalie had it in his equipment. Which clearly wasn't the case.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Right , will never know

But, he might’ve thought he saw Herzog in the crease

Irony is this might have been a rallying point that helped fired up Cougars for the comeback . Coach was definitely mad about it during intermission interview -“ they gave them that goal”
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote:Right , will never know

But, he might’ve thought he saw Herzog in the crease

Irony is this might have been a rallying point that helped fired up Cougars for the comeback . Coach was definitely mad about it during intermission interview -“ they gave them that goal”
Will be interesting after huge emotional win last night...whether it propels the Cougars to another upset tonight against cake eaters West following the cake North vs cake South game (as #5 Worth) aptly put it? 😉 Or will the skippers shove them off the boat...ala what the Eagles did to the Vikings?
kniven

Post by kniven »

First of all, I am so happy all the privates are road kill at this point! Well done Centennial 👌. Second, most of the big metro hockey programs down in the metro are rich fat cats. Edina and Duluth East were “cake” 100 years ago. Cake West? Are you kidding me? Minnetonka is a “fruit roll up” compares to the classic “Cake Eaters” of Edina and Duluth East.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote:First of all, I am so happy all the privates are road kill at this point! Well done Centennial 👌. Second, most of the big metro hockey programs down in the metro are rich fat cats. Edina and Duluth East were “cake” 100 years ago. Cake West? Are you kidding me? Minnetonka is a “fruit roll up” compares to the classic “Cake Eaters” of Edina and Duluth East.
Yeah, but if you live in Deephaven...you very well may have a slip on Lake Minnetonka...that sure makes you more of a cake eater than living in Lester Park, Congdon, Glen Avon (or being from Proctor / Superior 😉😲)