AA SF: #3 Duluth East vs. #2 Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Duluth East
45%
Edina
55%

Total votes: 31

Slammer

AA SF: #3 Duluth East vs. #2 Edina

Post by Slammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:57 am

Thought this deserved its own thread. Might be the best game all year.

Who ya got?

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:09 am

Agree that it could be the best game of the year. This one is a coin flip, but if I have to pick one I'm leaning 50.1% Edina and 49.9% East. Game will probably be decided on the final play of the game.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Agree that it could be the best game of the year. This one is a coin flip, but if I have to pick one I'm leaning 50.1% Edina and 49.9% East. Game will probably be decided on the final play of the game.
“It’s East and Edina, the cake from the north against the cake from the south. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

— Duluth East senior Garrett Worth on Friday’s semifinal matchup against the Hornets

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/895545

BTW, why hasn't Worth committed anywhere yet as a senior? Is he not high D1 material or is he waiting for a better offer? Do a lot of good players go to juniors for a year before committing? Trying to figure this out. Wondering about Molenaar on Minnetonka too.

GettinHiggyWithIt

Re: AA SF: #3 Duluth East vs. #2 Edina

Post by GettinHiggyWithIt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:34 am

Slammer wrote:Thought this deserved its own thread. Might be the best game all year.

Who ya got?
The difference maker is going to have to be the goalies, Kleive and Mackay have never played in bigger games in their lives.

Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:01 am

As a nonpartisan fan I will be rooting for the Hounds. My first taste of the high school tourney was in the Spehar/Locker days and I've become kind of a closet fan ever since. I think my first tourney game I saw was when East kicked the crap out of favored Bloomington Jefferson. Don't hold me to that though.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 am

JerseyDave wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Agree that it could be the best game of the year. This one is a coin flip, but if I have to pick one I'm leaning 50.1% Edina and 49.9% East. Game will probably be decided on the final play of the game.
“It’s East and Edina, the cake from the north against the cake from the south. It doesn’t get any better than that.”

— Duluth East senior Garrett Worth on Friday’s semifinal matchup against the Hornets

BTW, why hasn't Worth committed anywhere yet as a senior? Is he not high D1 material or is he waiting for a better offer? Do a lot of good players go to juniors for a year before committing? Trying to figure this out. Wondering about Molenaar on Minnetonka too.
Good question on Worth. I would certainly think he is D1 material. I can't imagine why he wouldn't be.

BodyShots

Post by BodyShots » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:27 am

If Edina plays as well as they did yesterday, then its Edina by 3 or more.

Can't wait to see if the hypocrite plays the trap.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:34 am

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
JerseyDave wrote:

Good question on Worth. I would certainly think he is D1 material. I can't imagine why he wouldn't be.
I think it's a combination of things. His size definitely does not help him and he's not the greatest skater in the world. He's a pure goal scorer and can snipe like few others, which is great but obviously teams are looking for the whole package. And as Karl alluded to in a previous post, he had some maturing he needed to do off the ice. Programs seem to put as much stock into off-ice as they do on-ice nowadays. I'm sure he will end up committing somewhere, whether it's after this season or after a year of Juniors.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:58 am

Karl, would you have time to recap the 2015, 2013,2011 games between these two

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:11 am

If Randklev can succeed at NoDak, Worth can play anywhere !

Ref22

Post by Ref22 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:06 am

JerseyDave wrote:

Yeah, most go for a year or two, sometimes three. Look at Mankato's roster they have one player on the roster that can't legally drink lol

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:24 am

Ref22 wrote:
JerseyDave wrote:

Yeah, most go for a year or two, sometimes three. Look at Mankato's roster they have one player on the roster that can't legally drink lol
He asked about when they commit, not if they play Juniors prior to College.

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:33 am

5-3 Hornets

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm

WestMetro wrote:If Randklev can succeed at NoDak, Worth can play anywhere !
Not exactly the same type of players. There's a ton of good hockey players in today's world. Worth could land some place after juniors he's sure got a scoring touch.

Zamman

Post by Zamman » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:58 pm

My take is DE is playing well, very blue collar. But Edina is so smooth, passing is awesome and when they play a better team, they will play better. I do not see anything close. Edina by 3..

CakeScout17

Posted my take on Edina / DE under wrong thread...

Post by CakeScout17 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:09 pm

but if you choose to want to read it its under the 'LVN / Edina' prediction thread.
However, and partly due to playing the 'Costanza' by going opposite, after watching the recording of DE/STMA Im bit more concerned for the Hornet.

DE is Big. REAL BIG. Long. And they play hard on both ends. With snipers of their own in Worth and RD. That WMD line versus Edina's line will sure be a matchup of contrasting styles...Edina averages 5'9-5'10" / 160 lbs on their 1st line - Whereas DE 'WMD' line goes 5'10/165, 6'2"/205 and 6' 3.5"/190.

Ruh-roh.

DE is deep and big throughout their lineup but I did notice similar situation at tail end of 2nd period versus STMA that I also witnessed live versus MG a few weeks ago...in that DE seem to tire, legs got bit heavy toward end of game. CEC caught them in this timeframe to up in Duluth at end of reg. season. That could be something to watch for as that Edina speed proves relentless.

The legs feed the wolf.

Speed kills and hopefully you can't hit what you can't catch. But this will be a matchup that Edina has not seen all year and maybe not since 2015 versus DE. Buckle up boys, then tighten it a bit more. Play tight help D and protect Mackay from the ever-lurking Worth. Be controlled but HIT BACK!
Brinkman must lead the way, DK23 has to dial it up but my darkhorse differentiator is Edina's 3rd line. If Borst/Shoemaker/Swanson can net just one goal? Edina wins in a squeaker.
IF, however, Edina's D crumbles leaving Mackay exposed and no goals from that 3rd line? DE could run away with this 5-2, 6-3.

Hey Hornets! Rip apart that Porterhouse THEN have your cake!

Good luck and health to ALL!

hockey59

Re: Posted my take on Edina / DE under wrong thread...

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:but if you choose to want to read it its under the 'LVN / Edina' prediction thread.
However, and partly due to playing the 'Costanza' by going opposite, after watching the recording of DE/STMA Im bit more concerned for the Hornet.

DE is Big. REAL BIG. Long. And they play hard on both ends. With snipers of their own in Worth and RD. That WMD line versus Edina's line will sure be a matchup of contrasting styles...Edina averages 5'9-5'10" / 160 lbs on their 1st line - Whereas DE 'WMD' line goes 5'10/165, 6'2"/205 and 6' 3.5"/190.

Ruh-roh.

DE is deep and big throughout their lineup but I did notice similar situation at tail end of 2nd period versus STMA that I also witnessed live versus MG a few weeks ago...in that DE seem to tire, legs got bit heavy toward end of game. CEC caught them in this timeframe to up in Duluth at end of reg. season. That could be something to watch for as that Edina speed proves relentless.

The legs feed the wolf.

Speed kills and hopefully you can't hit what you can't catch. But this will be a matchup that Edina has not seen all year and maybe not since 2015 versus DE. Buckle up boys, then tighten it a bit more. Play tight help D and protect Mackay from the ever-lurking Worth. Be controlled but HIT BACK!
Brinkman must lead the way, DK23 has to dial it up but my darkhorse differentiator is Edina's 3rd line. If Borst/Shoemaker/Swanson can net just one goal? Edina wins in a squeaker.
IF, however, Edina's D crumbles leaving Mackay exposed and no goals from that 3rd line? DE could run away with this 5-2, 6-3.

Hey Hornets! Rip apart that Porterhouse THEN have your cake!

Good luck and health to ALL!

Have seen Edina & DE (each) play more than one handful of times. If DE can get out of the 1st period tied or better, we got a game. If Edina opens a 2-3 goal lead at any point in the game...its OVER.

But if DE hangs with them and is within a goal or better in the 3rd period, they can win this one.

The absolute key for DE is their goalie. He needs to play REALLY well (at a minimum) or DE loses. Conversely, Mackay has to play well, or Edina loses.

If I was betting on the game, Id say the odds are 60-40 Edina wins. But if DE plays their best game of the year and Edina doesn't play their best. the Hounds advance to the Title game.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Free audio stream of the game (State of Hockey):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPLs2zAOq0w

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:21 pm

Greatest crowd pop I ever heard was in reaction to the goal that iced it for East in 2015....Go Hounds! :)
Buy ya a soda after the game!

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:23 pm

WestMetro wrote:If Randklev can succeed at NoDak, Worth can play anywhere !
This ^

And why does Giles make me think he's straight out of the Soviet KGB? :shock:

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:33 pm

Not a fan of the Greyhounds but their sweaters are 5 star

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:43 pm

Great Lou Nanne quote:

"You don't have to play defense when you're always going to center ice with your arms in the air." :D
Buy ya a soda after the game!

jeffpv

Post by jeffpv » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:53 pm

Fantastic period of hockey. Great pace.
I think East's goalie is better than Edina's, I think. That'll be the difference.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:02 pm

GREAT first period!

Pace was unreal.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:21 pm

So much for great hockey. 2 great teams. Not great action.