AA SF: #3 Duluth East vs. #2 Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Duluth East
45%
Edina
55%

Total votes: 31

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:50 pm

I didn’t think it was played very well either. Exciting game in stretches but not what I was expecting. What surprised me most was just how poor Edina’s defensemen played.

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:51 pm

Do you know where i grew up?

Slammer

Post by Slammer » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:51 pm

mulefarm wrote:
Slammer wrote:That was rough. How many times is Randolph going to completely out coach and out smart Edina?
What should the Edina coach done differently?
Play East’s game. Get more physical. Work harder. Stop trying to be cute.

GettinHiggyWithIt

Post by GettinHiggyWithIt » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:04 pm

jeffpv wrote:Fantastic period of hockey. Great pace.
I think East's goalie is better than Edina's, I think. That'll be the difference.
that was the difference maker. Mackay can’t afford to let in a goal from outside the blue line in the third period.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:08 pm

mulefarm wrote:
Slammer wrote:That was rough. How many times is Randolph going to completely out coach and out smart Edina?
What should the Edina coach done differently?
Play Kouzmontizis, Walker and Nevers on the same line occasionally. Nevers and Koumo had great chemistry in the Elite League. DE played their three best forwards together and it paid off. Giles has no imagination

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:14 pm

jeffpv wrote:I don't know why people are complaining, this game has been really fun to watch. Coaching and goaltending has been the difference.
I hope East takes it tomorrow.
I thought so...Randolph coached his team to play (as he said it at the 1st break) as though they weren't gong to control the puck for as much time as Edina, and it showed in the play...Incredible goaltending, strong checking, no penalties, no stupid turnovers, kept the puck along the perimeter as much as possible when in their end...They didn't allow Edina to play their game.

Good on the Hounds.
Buy ya a soda after the game!

WendyClark

Post by WendyClark » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:19 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Do you know where i grew up?
Do you know who I am? :roll:

Ogie

Post by Ogie » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:20 pm

goldy313 wrote:I didn’t think it was played very well either. Exciting game in stretches but not what I was expecting. What surprised me most was just how poor Edina’s defensemen played.
IMO, there was no way that East could have won an "exciting" game (i.e. a shootout)...Too much firepower on Edina to try to play that game.

If that's boring, then it looks like the Hounds are yawning their way to the championship game.
Buy ya a soda after the game!

grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:31 pm

WendyClark wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Do you know where i grew up?
Do you know who I am? :roll:
Sorry.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 pm

Great Randolph game plan and (almost) perfect execution. They did what had to be done to win

green4

Post by green4 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:45 pm

I thought it was a good game. I wish Edina would have won, but it was a good game overall.

East did a good job slowing down Edina's forwards and poking the puck away. They were disciplined and played very structured.

Edina's D didn't have a great game I thought and their 2nd line was pretty much nonexistent. They made the point between one of the periods that your best player can't be your 3rd line center if you want to win, and that was probably the case with Shoemaker generating more than his fair share of chances.
Overall Edina was a bit too fancy and tried for the perfect pass too many times instead of shooting. That chance at the end where te east defenseman sat down and saved the Nevers was an amazing sequence and I thought Edina was gonna pop it in.

A lot of chatter here kind of ripping on Giles, and I have always been a Giles fan so I certainly don't agree. I just think it is funny that we praise Randolph but the guy is 2nd most in state appearances and only has 2 championships. Slammer, what is he, 2-5 in championship games? I guess that is something Giles can hang his hat on.
I hope Centennial wins it all at this point, but I will be rooting for east and Randolph if tonka wins. Randolph is a great coach, but he has his flaws too.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Excellent analysis Green4!

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:18 pm

grindiangrad-80 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:This is not the type of game i was hoping for. I was hoping for action.
Okay so you didn't get the game you wanted but if East opens it up they get scrubbed by Edina.
Perfectly executed game plan by East to ADVANCE.
I was hoping for fire wagon hockey.
Mike Randolph game plan was to WIN...not entertain 😉💣🤣

Schotzy

Post by Schotzy » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:34 pm

hockey59 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
northwoods oldtimer wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:This is not the type of game i was hoping for. I was hoping for action.
Okay so you didn't get the game you wanted but if East opens it up they get scrubbed by Edina.
Perfectly executed game plan by East to ADVANCE.
I was hoping for fire wagon hockey.
Mike Randolph game plan was to WIN...not entertain 😉💣🤣
Exactly. They played their game. Can East run & gun? Sure they can, but that was not going to work against the Hornets. Kudos to coach Randolph for adapting to the team they met on the ice, and getting the Hounds to the championship. That was some great coaching and the kids were all in.

Edina has an amazing team and were just as deserving to be moving on. Giles is an excellent coach. It just was not their night.

Tomorrow night will be a fantastic display of MINNESOTA hockey. It is getting interesting as to who is going to join East on the dance floor. Centennial and Minnetonaka in another classic.

Damn I love this tourney.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:35 pm

S/0 to Hornet 3rd liner Shoemaker who got big goal on nice breakaway and almost had another!

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:07 pm

Ogie wrote:
goldy313 wrote:I didn’t think it was played very well either. Exciting game in stretches but not what I was expecting. What surprised me most was just how poor Edina’s defensemen played.
IMO, there was no way that East could have won an "exciting" game (i.e. a shootout)...Too much firepower on Edina to try to play that game.

If that's boring, then it looks like the Hounds are yawning their way to the championship game.
East won this game largely because of what Edina gave them ....
1) Edina didn’t pressure the puck at all allowing a nice snipe
2) The Edina defenseman has the angle on Worth, then inexplicably doesn’t use it, turns too late, misses Worth who beats him then scores on a goalie sitting in his net. Nice play by Worth but a horrible play by the Edina defender allowed it.
3) East scores on a dump in from outside the blue line.
4) Empty net goal where the Edina defenseman again took a horrible angle.
(I may have the first two goals reversed)

East allowing only two goals was huge, but this was less about Randolph or Giles and more about bad fundamentals on Edina’s back end.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:44 pm

Congratulations to the Duluth East Greyhounds. They played well and won the game. The 3 Beauties line is the only line I've seen as good as Jungels-Walker-Nevers. Worth's laser to tie the game early is a perfect example of what great players can do; one little opening and he pounced on it. I can find tons of guys that can't pick the open spot and even more that can't get into position to take a clear shot.

I thought Randolph's best coaching moves were:

1. Getting Jungels to not convert on the early breakaway attempt that would have given Edina an early lead.

2. Getting Jungels to hit the post rather than score to make it 2-0 in the first. It was only moments later Worth tied it.

3. Getting the officials to not call anything. Edina was guilty of an obvious interference infraction in the middle of the first and the way Randolph got the two refs to let it go set the tone for a ton of clutching, holding, and grabbing both ways all night that was fair game.

4. Getting his angles correctly when teaching the neutral zone dump on net to first get deflected off a player before arriving at the goaltender, forcing him to adjust for the save but be unable to control the rebound...then getting it to soar upward before settling down over the shoulder to roll off the goalie's back into the goal. Lesser coaches can get that play right up to the end, only to see the puck roll wide.

5. Getting a defenseman to wipe out the Duluth East goaltender, but only as a ploy to use the two downed players to block Nevers' point blank late game tying shot. That line has so many open-net goals all year. Brilliant coaching decision to not rely on the goaltender, but formulate a way to stack players in the goal mouth as well at just the critical moment.
Be kind. Rewind.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:55 pm

WestMetro wrote:S/0 to Hornet 3rd liner Shoemaker who got big goal on nice breakaway and almost had another!

Yeah, he seems like a crafty player like Brink. Fun to watch.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:42 am

O-townClown wrote:Congratulations to the Duluth East Greyhounds. They played well and won the game. The 3 Beauties line is the only line I've seen as good as Jungels-Walker-Nevers. Worth's laser to tie the game early is a perfect example of what great players can do; one little opening and he pounced on it. I can find tons of guys that can't pick the open spot and even more that can't get into position to take a clear shot.

1. Getting Jungels to not convert on the early breakaway attempt that would have given Edina an early lead.

2. Getting Jungels to hit the post rather than score to make it 2-0 in the first. It was only moments later Worth tied it.

3. Getting the officials to not call anything. Edina was guilty of an obvious interference infraction in the middle of the first and the way Randolph got the two refs to let it go set the tone for a ton of clutching, holding, and grabbing both ways all night that was fair game.

4. Getting his angles correctly when teaching the neutral zone dump on net to first get deflected off a player before arriving at the goaltender, forcing him to adjust for the save but be unable to control the rebound...then getting it to soar upward before settling down over the shoulder to roll off the goalie's back into the goal. Lesser coaches can get that play right up to the end, only to see the puck roll wide.

5. Getting a defenseman to wipe out the Duluth East goaltender, but only as a ploy to use the two downed players to block Nevers' point blank late game tying shot. That line has so many open-net goals all year. Brilliant coaching decision to not rely on the goaltender, but formulate a way to stack players in the goal mouth as well at just the critical moment.
Just a wee bit...bitter? 😉 It’s not like the Hornets are 29-1 at this point, although they were favored tonight.. they lost 2 of 3 to Tonka. DE has really good PLAYERS, if they didn’t, all the great coaching in the world.. wouldn’t add up to a hill of beans.

tezer13

Post by tezer13 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:32 am

Kinda surprised by some of the banter.

Can anyone say Edina was the better team? They were both excellent teams. The operative word is team though. I won't argue that Edina has better stick handlers and playmakers, but that is only part of hockey.

If Edina was soo much faster and better skating, I did not see that. Who on Edina moves around the ice better than Donavan?

This game turned out how I thought it would. East skating just as well as Edina, getting bodies and sticks on everyone and showing that they have a bit a talent too. Don't get me wrong I was on the edge of my seat all game. This was a loaded Edina team and most of the team will play D-I, but if you take away East's early season scoring woes and hiccups against rival Cloquet either of these teams could of pulled off perfect seasons - that's how good they both are.

Great game between two great teams!

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:38 am

Always a delight when a game lives up to its hype. No, it wasn't a wide open free-flowing game, but East had an Edina-specific game plan, and executed it very well. Much as in 2015, they effectively neutralized Edina's speed, and as in 2015, when Edina found itself stuck in a close game after winning blowout after blowout before that, they made some mistakes in back. The difference-makers for East were the play of the 2nd line, which effectively neutralized the Koumontzis line; the defense, which was rock solid and eliminated most of the odd-man chances, plus Cochran's crucial late save; and goaltending, as Kleive made some big saves, while Edina's Achilles Heel reared its head again.

If you haven't watched much East this year, this was not their normal style at all. And while one could certainly point toward any number of bounces and chances that went one way or the other, it is no easy thing to get a high school team to play such divergent styles so well, and be able to flip the switch from one to the other as required by a game situation. This game was played on East's terms, not Edina's, and once I saw they were setting the tone in the 1st, I was feeling pretty good about the outcome. As long as they didn't get blown out the water early, I felt very good about their chances.

Another exhausting, exhilarating Friday night...now we'll see if East can finally finish it.

mnmouth

Post by mnmouth » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:08 am

karl(east) wrote: . . . If you haven't watched much East this year, this was not their normal style at all. And while one could certainly point toward any number of bounces and chances that went one way or the other, it is no easy thing to get a high school team to play such divergent styles so well, and be able to flip the switch from one to the other as required by a game situation. This game was played on East's terms . . .
Exactly - East players buy in when Randolph says that we're going to alter our normal way of playing to give us the best shot at winning. The Hounds seem to have a plan A, B or even C. Edina seems to have just one plan, and while that plan is usually enough to blow out most other teams, it ain't working against East. As they proved again last night, among Minnesota teams, East likely has the least amount of fear of (though obvious respect for) Edina.

Trout

Post by Trout » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:30 am

Without a dog in this fight, I would have loved to see a freewheeling game. With that said defense wins championships and to me the best players on the ice today were Payne and Lemaster in that order.

Payne was flawless. He definitely gets overshadowed by Lemaster and everyone talks about Worth being a D1 guy without an offer. What about Payne. With no less than 4 D1 Defense commits in this game, he outplayed them all. I didn't see him make a single mistake.

I think there should be one more D1 commit for sure!

Trout

Post by Trout » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:38 am

[quote="Trout"]Without a dog in this fight, I would have loved to see a freewheeling game. With that said defense wins championships and to me the best players on the ice today were Payne and Lemaster in that order.

Payne was flawless. He definitely gets overshadowed by Lemaster and everyone talks about Worth being a D1 guy without an offer. What about Payne. With no less than 4 D1 Defense commits in this game, he outplayed them all. I didn't see him make a single mistake.

I think there should be one more D1 commit for sure![/quote]

Sorry for spelling Paine not Payne

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:40 am

O-townClown wrote:Congratulations to the Duluth East Greyhounds. They played well and won the game. The 3 Beauties line is the only line I've seen as good as Jungels-Walker-Nevers. Worth's laser to tie the game early is a perfect example of what great players can do; one little opening and he pounced on it. I can find tons of guys that can't pick the open spot and even more that can't get into position to take a clear shot.

1-5 against the Hounds kinda hurts
Last edited by northwoods oldtimer on Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.