AA SF: #3 Duluth East vs. #2 Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins?

Duluth East
45%
Edina
55%

Total votes: 31

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

grindiangrad-80 wrote:Do you know where i grew up?
Balsam?
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Congrats hounds. They dictated play and ended up winning the game.

It doesn't hurt that:
Their goalie was better than Edina's.
The refs didn't call anything which helped DE physical play.
Edina hit the post which would have made it a 2-0 game and then DE goes down and scored during the same shift.
DE capitalized on their opportunities and Edina didn't.
Jungles is afraid of contact.
Did DK play? I've heard a lot of great talk about this kid throughout the year and didn't see it last night.
Impressed with DE defensemen. Very smart, big, and agile.

The finals will be interesting. Does Tonka's goalie letting in soft goals continue?
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

hockey59 wrote:Just a wee bit...bitter? 😉 It’s not like the Hornets are 29-1 at this point, although they were favored tonight.. they lost 2 of 3 to Tonka. DE has really good PLAYERS, if they didn’t, all the great coaching in the world.. wouldn’t add up to a hill of beans.
I don't think he's taking anything away from Duluth East; more pointing out any talk about Randolph "outcoaching" Giles and some of the things that happened during the game. Things that coaches really can't control.
LASERBLUE135

Post by LASERBLUE135 »

Man! does this forum love to talk coaches... It’s the KIDS that play the game. Coaching had little to do with the outcome. First period was fast and furious. 2nd was slow and sloppy on BOTH sides. 3rd was as expected from a big talented team trying beat a fast/skilled talented team. Edina kid let in a stupid soft goal... Feel terrible for him. That was sadly the difference and robbed everyone watching from a gang buster ending. Unbelievable save by the DE defenseman to keep them ahead. It was a great hockey game between two great teams. Coaching had little to do with the outcome. I would have loved to see the game played like it was in the first period, but every game has its story. Edina let in a softy and DE saved the day when they needed to. Game ended. Coaches stayed off the ice the entire game like they usually do.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said Coach Randolph, about Cochran and Fisher, amongst others!
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

WestMetro wrote:Well said Coach Randolph, about Cochran and Fisher, amongst others!
Yeah, and Coach Randolph too can't figure out why Worth isn't being recruited.

That Powell kid, the defenseman from Alexandria who put up a hat trick against Hermantown (including an unbelievable breakaway where he showed great speed) is another uncommitted senior. We'll get another chance to watch him against Orono.

Here's video of the breakaway. Fast forward to 3:00 minutes into the highlights:
http://kstp.com/sports/minnesota-boys-s ... s/4820191/
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

As I said somewhere earlier in this thread or a different thread, cant remember, if Randklev can succeed at NoDak, then Worth can play anywhere. (Although yes they have different styles). Lou Nanne and Coach Randolph must have read my posts, cause they both piped up same thing last nite!
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

WestMetro wrote:As I said somewhere earlier in this thread or a different thread, cant remember, if Randklev can succeed at NoDak, then Worth can play anywhere. (Although yes they have different styles). Lou Nanne and Coach Randolph must have read my posts, cause they both piped up same thing last nite!
It's great that the trumpets are being blown for these players, especially by someone like Lou Nanne on live TV being watched around the hockey world.
mulefarm

Post by mulefarm »

Worth is a very good hs player and terrific scorer. I can see why the jury is out on him as far as the next level. As great as Spehar was in hs, it didn’t translate into a great college career. I can see Worth getting some offers if he can produce in juniors. Hope things work out for him!
Slammer

Post by Slammer »

green4 wrote:I thought it was a good game. I wish Edina would have won, but it was a good game overall.

East did a good job slowing down Edina's forwards and poking the puck away. They were disciplined and played very structured.

Edina's D didn't have a great game I thought and their 2nd line was pretty much nonexistent. They made the point between one of the periods that your best player can't be your 3rd line center if you want to win, and that was probably the case with Shoemaker generating more than his fair share of chances.
Overall Edina was a bit too fancy and tried for the perfect pass too many times instead of shooting. That chance at the end where te east defenseman sat down and saved the Nevers was an amazing sequence and I thought Edina was gonna pop it in.

A lot of chatter here kind of ripping on Giles, and I have always been a Giles fan so I certainly don't agree. I just think it is funny that we praise Randolph but the guy is 2nd most in state appearances and only has 2 championships. Slammer, what is he, 2-5 in championship games? I guess that is something Giles can hang his hat on.
I hope Centennial wins it all at this point, but I will be rooting for east and Randolph if tonka wins. Randolph is a great coach, but he has his flaws too.
I wasn’t talking about championships. I just find it funny almost every time Edina and East play, Giles is completely out coached. 5-1 in the modern era, with Edina having the better talent almost every game.
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

LASERBLUE135 wrote:Man! does this forum love to talk coaches... It’s the KIDS that play the game. Coaching had little to do with the outcome. First period was fast and furious. 2nd was slow and sloppy on BOTH sides. 3rd was as expected from a big talented team trying beat a fast/skilled talented team. Edina kid let in a stupid soft goal... Feel terrible for him. That was sadly the difference and robbed everyone watching from a gang buster ending. Unbelievable save by the DE defenseman to keep them ahead. It was a great hockey game between two great teams. Coaching had little to do with the outcome. I would have loved to see the game played like it was in the first period, but every game has its story. Edina let in a softy and DE saved the day when they needed to. Game ended. Coaches stayed off the ice the entire game like they usually do.
That is really under selling the impact a coach has. Yes, we get it , the players play the game. Do they come up with the game plan? If it was not for the coaches, the players would be hard pressed to come up with a unified plan of attack. The coach understands best his players. Their abilities, weaknesses, mentality. He best understands who he can count on, who may need to be reeled in or let loose.

That is not to say that some teams need less from their coaches than others. I have coached teams that just need a little in terms of in game adjustments, and others that needed everything I was capable of giving.

I don’t know if you have ever coached. If you have, I think you would understand the challenges involved. Coaching is an incredibly important aspect of the success or failure of any team, at any level.
green4

Post by green4 »

Slammer wrote:
green4 wrote:I thought it was a good game. I wish Edina would have won, but it was a good game overall.

East did a good job slowing down Edina's forwards and poking the puck away. They were disciplined and played very structured.

Edina's D didn't have a great game I thought and their 2nd line was pretty much nonexistent. They made the point between one of the periods that your best player can't be your 3rd line center if you want to win, and that was probably the case with Shoemaker generating more than his fair share of chances.
Overall Edina was a bit too fancy and tried for the perfect pass too many times instead of shooting. That chance at the end where te east defenseman sat down and saved the Nevers was an amazing sequence and I thought Edina was gonna pop it in.

A lot of chatter here kind of ripping on Giles, and I have always been a Giles fan so I certainly don't agree. I just think it is funny that we praise Randolph but the guy is 2nd most in state appearances and only has 2 championships. Slammer, what is he, 2-5 in championship games? I guess that is something Giles can hang his hat on.
I hope Centennial wins it all at this point, but I will be rooting for east and Randolph if tonka wins. Randolph is a great coach, but he has his flaws too.
I wasn’t talking about championships. I just find it funny almost every time Edina and East play, Giles is completely out coached. 5-1 in the modern era, with Edina having the better talent almost every game.
I would disagree that Edina has had more talent, especially saying every game is not even close to true.
The games that I can remember at state between these two:

2011: East wins 2-1 in OT, very even game. East had the better regular season record, Edina coming off a state championship the year before where they replaced a bunch of players. East has all there studs as Juniors. I would say East definitely has more talent this year.

2012: They meet in the Losers bracket where East wins 3-2. East's best team in forever, best team in the tournament and they lose first round. Edina is the 5 seed, pretty good team with Walker and Hurley, but nowhere near as talented.

2013: Giles lone win comes in the state semis with a 3-2 win. Edina is the 2 seed, East the 3. Many people picked East to win this game, but perhaps one of the deepest teams Edina has ever had. I remember post game interviews from Hill kids like Willie Brown talking about how they were just so deep. East had Meirs Moore, Beaulieau, Irwin, Toscano, Forbert and Kerr. Edina probably had more talent, but most people didn't look at it that way when it happened. They had Malmquist and Hurley, but not a lot of people thought they had a ton of talent behind them because they were good but not great players.

2015: This is the obvious one where Edina had much more talent and lost. Though worth noting Malmquist was out, still the way Edina played this game I don't think having Malmquist would have mattered.

2018: Last night edina loses 3-2, and though I would say Edina had a bit more talent, I think the gap is pretty close. The two most talented players on the ice were probably Brinkman and Donovan from a future development prospective. Walkers speed makes him dangerous but Worth's shot obviously makes him a threat. Nevers and Mageau seem to be about equal in talent, but obviously different skills. East's defense with LaMaster, Fischer and Paine seemed plenty skilled and outplayed Edina's row of committed D. East's physical size is obviously a big advantage in the match up that plays a part in the result.

To say Edina always has more talent I would disagree with. East was better in 11 and 12. Edina was better in 15 and 18 and probably 13 now that we can look back at where the players went, but I would say that one is pretty even at the time. The other time Giles lost to East was 2000 and that is a bit before my time so I can't say for sure who was better. Edina was a bit down in the early 2000's though...

You are right that you never mentioned state championships, because its an interesting flaw that Randolph has. Giles has 3 in what, 11 trips? I'll take Giles's championships over the excitement East gets for just beating Edina.

I'll be rooting for East to win tonight, I would love to see it.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Kudos to everyone that has chimed in during the aftermath of this semi. The most intelligent hockey discussion I can recall on this forum.
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

green4 wrote:
Slammer wrote:

I would disagree that Edina has had more talent, especially saying every game is not even close to true.
The games that I can remember at state between these two:

2011: East wins 2-1 in OT, very even game. East had the better regular season record, Edina coming off a state championship the year before where they replaced a bunch of players. East has all there studs as Juniors. I would say East definitely has more talent this year.

2012: They meet in the Losers bracket where East wins 3-2. East's best team in forever, best team in the tournament and they lose first round. Edina is the 5 seed, pretty good team with Walker and Hurley, but nowhere near as talented.

2013: Giles lone win comes in the state semis with a 3-2 win. Edina is the 2 seed, East the 3. Many people picked East to win this game, but perhaps one of the deepest teams Edina has ever had. I remember post game interviews from Hill kids like Willie Brown talking about how they were just so deep. East had Meirs Moore, Beaulieau, Irwin, Toscano, Forbert and Kerr. Edina probably had more talent, but most people didn't look at it that way when it happened. They had Malmquist and Hurley, but not a lot of people thought they had a ton of talent behind them because they were good but not great players.

2015: This is the obvious one where Edina had much more talent and lost. Though worth noting Malmquist was out, still the way Edina played this game I don't think having Malmquist would have mattered.

2018: Last night edina loses 3-2, and though I would say Edina had a bit more talent, I think the gap is pretty close. The two most talented players on the ice were probably Brinkman and Donovan from a future development prospective. Walkers speed makes him dangerous but Worth's shot obviously makes him a threat. Nevers and Mageau seem to be about equal in talent, but obviously different skills. East's defense with LaMaster, Fischer and Paine seemed plenty skilled and outplayed Edina's row of committed D. East's physical size is obviously a big advantage in the match up that plays a part in the result.

To say Edina always has more talent I would disagree with. East was better in 11 and 12. Edina was better in 15 and 18 and probably 13 now that we can look back at where the players went, but I would say that one is pretty even at the time. The other time Giles lost to East was 2000 and that is a bit before my time so I can't say for sure who was better. Edina was a bit down in the early 2000's though...

You are right that you never mentioned state championships, because its an interesting flaw that Randolph has. Giles has 3 in what, 11 trips? I'll take Giles's championships over the excitement East gets for just beating Edina.

I'll be rooting for East to win tonight, I would love to see it.
Very nice analysis of the Edina & DE teams TALENT from those 5 years they played at Xcel. 👍
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well done as usual Green 4. We missed your "at the rink" running game commentaries this year, looking forward to more of those again next season

The only thing I might add is that I vaguely recall the Edina 2013 team made it to the rare number of 10 D1 players, I could dig something out of my files but Karl might have it at fingertips?

Did Edina 2015 make it to 10? I think 2015 LVN finally did.
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:Do you know where i grew up?
Balsam?

No but I knew some people from there.
green4

Post by green4 »

WestMetro wrote:Well done as usual Green 4. We missed your "at the rink" running game commentaries this year, looking forward to more of those again next season

The only thing I might add is that I vaguely recall the Edina 2013 team made it to the rare number of 10 D1 players, I could dig something out of my files but Karl might have it at fingertips?

Did Edina 2015 make it to 10? I think 2015 LVN finally did.
When I get home I'll double check but 2013 defenitly did. Pretty sure 2014 an 2015 might have as well.
2013 was an amazing team, but people who didn't watch the games did not buy in especially after they almost lost to Jefferson in the section semis. People would just look at the stat line and saw Malmquist, Hurley and maybe Jordahl as dangerous players.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

The Youtube guy gives his opinion on last night's games. He's a big fan of Duluth East. The link below jumps straight to his recap of the AA games:

https://youtu.be/ABQyqWss2QY?t=5m
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

JerseyDave wrote:The Youtube guy gives his opinion on last night's games. He's a big fan of Duluth East. The link below jumps straight to his recap of the AA games:

Thanks for sharing. I think he does a good job describing the game. Mad respect early for Edina's team speed, accurately explaining the way they choked the Hornets style of play by taking away any room.
Be kind. Rewind.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

O-townClown wrote:
JerseyDave wrote:The Youtube guy gives his opinion on last night's games. He's a big fan of Duluth East. The link below jumps straight to his recap of the AA games:

Thanks for sharing. I think he does a good job describing the game. Mad respect early for Edina's team speed, accurately explaining the way they choked the Hornets style of play by taking away any room.
Yeah, I was actually hoping he'd go deeper with his insights on the game. He's a passionate fan who seems to know hockey.
Last edited by JerseyDave on Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GPGT

Post by GPGT »

Wow. East really pissed off Edina

3rd place game. Late in the 3rd

Edina - 10
Centennial - 0
bafata88

Post by bafata88 »

MrBoDangles wrote:
WestMetro wrote:If Randklev can succeed at NoDak, Worth can play anywhere !
This ^

And why does Giles make me think he's straight out of the Soviet KGB? :shock:
This is great. Cuz he is cold blooded and you can't hide that. Nice to see Curt lose.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

GPGT wrote:Wow. East really pissed off Edina

3rd place game. Late in the 3rd

Edina - 10
Centennial - 0
Credit to East's D for thwarting Edina's speed. Like the youtube guy said, if you give Edina an inch, they will take a mile.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Net Presence wrote:Unfortunately, the big concern for not only this coach but others is his off ice "maturity". Believe me, the moment one of any these teams are convinced he's improved enough in this area, Worth will have numerous offers to consider.
Net Presence, thanks for the insight on the situation. I'm curious of course what maturity issues are at play here but don't want to speculate. To me, he seems humble, happy and confident in the interviews I've seen. At least we know he's definitely on the radar of these programs.