Joe Molenaar: A true love for hockey, his Tonka team (link)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

Joe Molenaar: A true love for hockey, his Tonka team (link)

Post by JerseyDave »

Great guy, great season. Hope he gets a chance to continue playing somewhere:
http://www.swnewsmedia.com/chanhassen_v ... 9ed01.html
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

The link is a restricted redirect. Here is the article.

Joe Molenaar: A true love for hockey, his Minnetonka team
Skipper senior named Herb Brooks award recipient for Class AA for 2018
By Eric Kraushar scores@swpub.com

One leg up, arms pumping toward the sky, Joe Molenaar pointed to the crowd, a wide smile on his face. The words "yes" coming from his mouth.

There was no one on the ice more excited than the Minnetonka senior boys hockey captain.

This was Feb. 28, 2018, a double-overtime victory over Holy Family Catholic at 3M Arena at Mariucci.

Imagine that scene times 10. That was Molenaar on March 10 following Minnetonka's first state boys hockey title at the Xcel Energy Center.

One of the first skaters to mob goaltender Charlie Glockner, Molenaar made his rounds among teammates, as well as student coach Max Norby, celebrating the victory.

"This is a special group, and everyone considers each other brothers," Molenaar said in a press conference after the championship win. "Each and every one of us has been inspired by the guys who have played before us. ... I think us being the first group is pretty special. As a senior captain, I couldn't be more proud of each guy to my right and to my left and everybody back in the locker room."

HE EMBODIES HERB
True love for hockey — a real passion. Commitment and loyalty to school, team, and community. Willingness to sacrifice for the team. Integrity. Courage of his/her convictions. Goal-oriented approach. Sharp focus and strong competitive drive. Excellent work ethic. Willingness to accept challenges. Mental toughness. Strong hockey skills. Strong leadership qualities.

Characteristics sought for a nominee for the Herb Brooks award, given to the most qualified hockey player in the state tournament who strongly represents the values, characteristics, and traits that defined Herb Brooks. This prestigious award commemorates the unending influence Herb Brooks had on the sport of hockey in Minnesota and throughout the world.

That player in Class AA was Molenaar. Tom Hauser, political reporter for KSTP, presented the award following the championship victory on the ice.

"I’ve known Joe since he was five years old. My son Nick and Joe were teammates during their first three years of Mite hockey and Steve Molenaar (Joe's dad) was one of the coaches. Steve and I built hockey rinks in our backyards about a mile apart in Chanhassen and used to consult each other on the best ways to make ice. The boys were so small we actually held practices on our rinks and had pizza parties afterward," Hauser said.

Nick and Joe played hockey, baseball and golf together as kids, Hauser said. It was apparent from a young age the special hockey talents he had.

"Steve and his wife, Cathy, were dedicated hockey parents and helped instill a love of hockey in all the boys. It was devastating when Joe’s dad was diagnosed with cancer in 2011 when Joe was 10 or 11 years old. It was an aggressive cancer that took Steve’s life in about five months. His funeral was incredibly sad and uplifting at the same time. So many people in the Minnetonka hockey community were there with so many youth players in their Minnetonka jerseys and jackets rallying around Joe and his mom and sister, Julia," Hauser said.

Hauser, tasked at presenting the award, found out the winner was Molenaar in the final minutes of the championship game. Emotion came over him.

"I called my wife who was watching at home and told her about Joe. I was so emotional I could barely get through telling her. I asked her advice on whether I should mention Joe’s dad in my brief interview with Joe on the ice or if that would be too difficult for him. She said, 'I don’t think you’ll be able to because you can’t even say it over the phone without breaking down yourself,'" Hauser said.

"That made me laugh, so I decided I would say something about his dad without going into much detail. I knew Joe and most people in the hockey community would know about Steve," he added.

As Molenaar skated toward Hauser and Dan Brooks, Herb's son, to accept the award, it was evident what the award meant to him.

"It means everything," Molenaar said at center ice. "I wouldn't be here without any of these guys here. Thirteen years with all of these seniors. Almost as much as the rest of them. I couldn't be more proud of each and everyone of them. This award isn't just for me, it's for all of these guys. We're all such great kids and I'm incredibly honored here to be standing with them."

"His dad would have been so proud to hear his son respond by honoring all his teammates for making that moment possible. He didn’t make it about him. He made the individual award about the team. I’m sure Steve would have been incredibly proud of Joe. My son Nick was watching from the stands a few rows behind the Tonka bench and said he had tears in his eyes while watching and knowing all Joe had been through. It was just such a great moment and kind of defined what Minnesota and Minnetonka hockey is all about," Hauser said.

A SEASON TO REMEMBER
A double-digit scorer as a sophomore, Molenaar entered his senior campaign with 19 career goals, 40 total points.

Thirty-one games a senior, Molenaar had 31 goals, 12 assists, including a pair of goals and four assists in the state tournament.

What a season.

"I have watched him play from afar since he was a Squirt, and was always impressed with his play and scoring ability," former Chanhassen coach Chris Wilson, JV coach and varsity assistant for Minnetonka in 2017-18, said.

Wilson, speaking for the Minnetonka staff, said it was more than his play on the ice that told the story of who Joe Molenaar is.

"Since coming to Tonka, it's been the little things that have really impressed me. How he introduced himself to all the new coaches at our first informational meeting. Our first road game when he was helping the team manager carry the stick bag. To watching him acknowledge all the young youth players at home games, to the state tourney when I heard him thank every security guard, usher etc. As a former Skipper myself, I couldn't be more proud of him as a captain," Wilson said.

Molenaar has not decided on his future in hockey, hoping someone will give him a chance next season.

After all of this, how could you not take a chance?
Schotzy

Post by Schotzy »

I was really caught off-guard watching Mr. Molenaar accept this award. His emotion, his maturity, his selflessness. Seems like an impressive kid. This is the type of player that gets those chances in the future that some with more talent and skill might miss due to not "getting it". Joe gets it.

What ever the future has in store for Joe Molenaar, he is ready.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Schotzy wrote:What ever the future has in store for Joe Molenaar, he is ready.
That's what I was thinking. His maturity is years ahead of his age, doing things like introducing himself to the new coaches, helping the team manager carry stick bags (as a senior captain), thanking the workers at the X for what they were doing, and so on. If he carries on like that through life, he will do really well, whatever he does. The story doesn't mention it but his late father was captain of the '84 Jefferson team.

On the ice, it's worth mentioning he scored about 10 more goals than Bobby Brink this season, although not nearly as many assists as Brink.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I’ve said many times, he was a very underrated part of this team, and I believe in many ways might have been the glue and main leader/motivator that carried this team to the championship
BodyShots

Post by BodyShots »

Very impressive young man. Congratulations to his parents for raising such a special individual.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

That's Molenaar in the photo accompanying this State of Hockey story about Minnesota hockey:
https://www.stateofhockey.com/news_arti ... id=1949540

More photos of Molenaar on the Twitter feed of the reporter who wrote the original article.
https://twitter.com/ChanChaskaSport/sta ... 6630130689
GottaloveHShockey

Post by GottaloveHShockey »

Happy to see such a great article about Joe. He seems like an absolutely top notch guy. The way he received his award was immensely selfless & emotional, I don't think there was a dry eye there in that arena. Hats off to his mom and late dad for raising such an outstanding man. And Good luck to Joe in his future, I don't have a doubt that he'll go far in life with successes and happiness.