7AA 2018-2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:24 pm

I just can’t see the school board his job back

Northernlakes

Cloquet drama

Post by Northernlakes » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:09 pm

WOW....... and If they allow that to happen! What a gong show.

That guy for that thing

Re: Cloquet drama

Post by That guy for that thing » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Northernlakes wrote:WOW....... and If they allow that to happen! What a gong show.
It will be interesting. Not sure what is better for the kids, but at least systems wise, the consistency will help them take another step forward. If they give him his job back, look for Cloquet to be a top 10 team in the state. This is going to be another great year for 7AA with 3 teams that will have a really good shot at winning it all.

Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:07 pm

That guy for that thing wrote:
Northernlakes wrote:WOW....... and If they allow that to happen! What a gong show.
It will be interesting. Not sure what is better for the kids, but at least systems wise, the consistency will help them take another step forward. If they give him his job back, look for Cloquet to be a top 10 team in the state. This is going to be another great year for 7AA with 3 teams that will have a really good shot at winning it all.
Read the tweet by Louie; some questions. In original article Smalley said he resigned because of his job, more responsibilities, etc. Now he has rescinded and wants the coaching job back? What happened ? Re-reading the article it mentions the 3 DWI's so that's obviously why he "resigned". This sure doesn't help make him look any smarter.

I think any descent coach will get some good results from this group of kids.

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:30 pm

Rocketwrister wrote:
Read the tweet by Louie; some questions. In original article Smalley said he resigned because of his job, more responsibilities, etc. Now he has rescinded and wants the coaching job back? What happened ? Re-reading the article it mentions the 3 DWI's so that's obviously why he "resigned". This sure doesn't help make him look any smarter.

Agree on all counts here. I'd also say that, while I'm not sure I'd endorse anyone with 3 DWIs in a high school coaching position, I would've been a bit more sympathetic if he'd owned his mistake instead of the "it's because of my job" crap.

That said, there may be more to this situation than meets the eye. Stay tuned.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Usthockey13 wrote:I just can’t see the school board his job back
Don’t underestimate the stupidity of a school board. People in Greenway know this first hand.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:30 pm

Coach Kevin Smalley soon after the incident apologized to those kids, the AD, and principal. And me as well. The decision makers will make a decision. Me personally.......I like Coach Kevin Smalley as do the boys on that hockey team. It’s going to be what it’s going to be. CEC boys high school hockey will move forward with Smalley or without him.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sports ... -cec-coach

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:07 am

Wow, that's a turn of events.

Haven't been to Cloquet in a long time. Do they not have Lyft or Uber?
Be kind. Rewind.

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:43 am

Cloquet a nice town good people but the decision makers in that town do not make the best choices. Their chief of police was a detective who had a sexual relationship with an informant was fired for it then reinstated through the grievence process and ended up the chief of police. anything can happen there.http://www.mn.gov/bms-stat/assets/20091103-Cloquet.pdf

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:03 am

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:
WestMetro wrote:Kniven

CEC beat and tied East last year, right?

This year, CEC overall talent is quite a bit better, and DE a little bit less?

So we should expect 3 wins against the Hounds this year?

#simpleWManalysis 😀
Coach Mike Randolph. That’s all you need to say about Duluth East. That teams competes no matter the talent. Coach Randolph turns those boys into the “right” players every year no matter the talent level.
So enlighten me, when has Duluth East not had talent?? Maybe 50 years ago
Will throw in 2 years where East was very pedestrian club from talent perspective. Year 2014-2015 Randolph took a 10-10-4 team to St. Paul by running his neutral ice trap. Don't let the "big names" fool you form that roster they were fledgling 8th and 9th graders. 2013-2014 Phil Billeau led team went something like 18-6-1 regular season. With Phil logging round about 39 minutes of ice time in a 51 minute game.
Agree with you though in 50 years the talent pool out at East is normally outstanding. Kudos to the 'great randini' he did monumental work with those teams as he does each and every year. Stability is king at east. Wish my 2 favorite 7AA programs had such luxury (aka Cloquet / Rapids). And knowing Mike's competitive nature a little, he always respects a worthy opponent.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:14 am

karl(east) wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:

Agree on all counts here. I'd also say that, while I'm not sure I'd endorse anyone with 3 DWIs in a high school coaching position, I would've been a bit more sympathetic if he'd owned his mistake instead of the "it's because of my job" crap.

Times they are a changing. Obviously Karl missed the opportunity to rub elbows with 1970's (early 80's) era HS coaches. I'll just leave it at that :lol:
Oh to time travel!!

east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:48 am

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:

Times they are a changing. Obviously Karl missed the opportunity to rub elbows with 1970's (early 80's) era HS coaches. I'll just leave it at that :lol:
Oh to time travel!!
As I recall, Don Bourdeau was no stranger to the contents of a bottle of alcohol. :)

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:22 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
karl(east) wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:

Oh to time travel!!
:lol: :lol: I sure missed the glory days. Hardly a teetotaler here, but when you get busted not once but three times...

As Mnnstar alluded to, the politics in Cloquet can be...fascinating, in any number of ways.

elliott70

Re: 7AA 2018-2019

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:28 am

Shea was an excellent goal scorer and great kid.
I wish him well.

Does anyone know where his brother is?

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:29 am

Pretty sure there is no 's' in decent.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:55 pm

Well. It looks like CEC puck will be ok moving forward this winter with coach Walters and the Virginia guy. I still see Duluth East and Andover in the section final game though.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:37 pm

7AA is ruled by Coach Randolph and Duluth East deciples/players. I respect the heck out of Coach. Could he be leading the Hounds another 20 years?

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:48 pm

Having depth is a really strange feeling. It's a good feeling....this must be how hermantown hawk and duluth east fan feels. CEC might be down a defensemen part of and/or the entire upcoming season. CEC will have the depth to absorb the loss. we'd be better with this puckster, but what do you do. the duluth east dman transfer and Mason Langenbrunner should help reinforce the blue line for the purple....

Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:47 am

The Duluth East "reinforcement" will be exposed.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:15 pm

a defenseman left Cloquet? for what juniors??

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:47 pm

No it sounds like Stoyanoff tore his ACL in football..

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Ouch - that could be a big loss for the Jacks if true.
Play Like a Champion Today

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:58 pm

Unfortunately......it is true.....

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 pm

Wow! This is quite the weak topic thus far. I suppose not much up in the air when it comes to this section this year. :cry:

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:53 am

7 thoughts about 7AA:

1) Duluth East is the favorite
2) Andover will be a tough out
3) 7A/7AA well represented in HDM with Greenway and Andover vs Tonka
4) Elks could be on the road for 7AA QF
5) Grand Rapids will be better
6) Flake, CI and St. Francis - good luck
7) C-E-C rollercoaster continues with Kniven in the front car