7AA 2018-2019

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Mnnstar

Post by Mnnstar »

Andover has not played this summer with their full squad. I am sure the same with all of the top teams hard to get fired up over summer hockey. Let's see how things play out. CEC still needs a coach!
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

Semi-final Saturday could be a lot of fun with 3 teams potentially in the top 10 or higher.

Noon #1 Andover vs ????
2:00 #2 Duluth East vs. #3 Cloquet

Side note: MSHSL web site has the quarterfinals on Wednesday night instead of Tuesday night.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Semi-final Saturday could be a lot of fun with 3 teams potentially in the top 10 or higher.

Noon #1 Andover vs ????

Side note: MSHSL web site has the quarterfinals on Wednesday night instead of Tuesday night.
Looking at the DE schedule they have QF listed for Tuesday night
kniven

Post by kniven »

TheHockeyDJ wrote:Semi-final Saturday could be a lot of fun with 3 teams potentially in the top 10 or higher.

Noon #1 Andover vs ????

Well, if Duluth East has 11 kids playing heavy elite league minutes for team north again this year, they won’t be denied another trip to state this year. That’s a season before the actual hockey season with those boys playing together. Many are saying this East team has more talent than last year.
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

kniven wrote:

Noon #1 Andover vs ????

Well, if Duluth East has 11 kids playing heavy elite league minutes for team north again this year, they won’t be denied another trip to state this year. That’s a season before the actual hockey season with those boys playing together. Many are saying this East team has more talent than last year.
Kniven- I heard they are just letting the whole East team be the North team for Elites 8)
kniven

Post by kniven »

Usthockey13 wrote:
kniven wrote:

Noon #1 Andover vs ????

Kniven- I heard they are just letting the whole East team be the North team for Elites 8)
Seriously. I think East should be given their own elite team every year. Or East, Hermantown, and Rapids a combined elite team. The Barking Hawks
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

Coaches probably don't look into summer hockey quite like us hockey deprived addicts do, but I remember playing and thinking about the summer games when we would play a team in the regular season. For the most part, it felt like a normal game that you focus on as a kid.
kniven

Post by kniven »

It seems 7AA is going to be very predictable this year with Andover, Duluth East, and CEC to 3 going into section playoffs. The 4 seed battle will be fun to watch unfold. Andover and CEC don’t play head to head so that’s lame. And Elk never plays us in the regular season. Cloquet playing a nightmare schedule. They aren’t used to playing that kind of schedule in high school. It was a slight step up last year, and things didn’t go very well. Duluth East is so used to the battles and thriving in the regular season no matter. Peewee, Bantam, and High School Hockey totally different animals.
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

kniven wrote:It seems 7AA is going to be very predictable this year with Andover, Duluth East, and CEC to 3 going into section playoffs. The 4 seed battle will be fun to watch unfold. Andover and CEC don’t play head to head so that’s lame. And Elk never plays us in the regular season. Cloquet playing a nightmare schedule. They aren’t used to playing that kind of schedule in high school. It was a slight step up last year, and things didn’t go very well. Duluth East is so used to the battles and thriving in the regular season no matter. Peewee, Bantam, and High School Hockey totally different animals.

Pretty gutsy "predicable" prediciton including CEC in the top 3. Why do they move up after a 1st round loss last year at home?
kniven

Post by kniven »

You’re right. I’ll move Duluth Marshall and Elk River up and CEC down. You have to earn it, and Cloquet flamed out several times last year.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Rocketwrister wrote:Pretty gutsy "predicable" prediciton including CEC in the top 3. Why do they move up after a 1st round loss last year at home?
Because they have quite a bit more talent than the teams they are moving up ahead of.
That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing »

Section 8 guy wrote:
Rocketwrister wrote:Pretty gutsy "predicable" prediciton including CEC in the top 3. Why do they move up after a 1st round loss last year at home?
Because they have quite a bit more talent than the teams they are moving up ahead of.
I will agree here. the Jacks showed flashes last year. The beat DE in the Heritage, and tied at home in a high scoring game that DE had to keep coming back into. They beat Hermantown and fairly decent EP team who went on to beat DE and give DE their first loss the following night. They also beat DM. All while having a brand new coach.

This year those kids will have to deal with yet another new coach but they have shown that they at times, they could handle it last year. I expect them to come out a bit slow, but pick up speed and system familiarity through the season and have a strong showing come sections. They end their season with games hosting DE, at Proctor and at an improving GR. They will have their wheels going at full speed walking into sections with a high-intensity game against DE, most likely and nice breather game at Proctor and then another taste of GR to get them amped for sections.

I expect them to be playing DE in the semi's at Amzoil and wow will that be a game to attend. Both games in the 2 game season series will get the tempers flaming but this will be a classic DE/Cloquet game for the books. IMO. Maybe not quite the "over exuding intensity" of the early 2000's and late 90's (the era I remember) but it will be great hockey with two old rivals.

Edit: With more research you see they lose 2 of their 26 point getters but only 4 of the 11 double digit point getters last season and their second string goalie. Their returning starter was a sophomore last year so he will make big strides as well.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Kniven

CEC beat and tied East last year, right?

This year, CEC overall talent is quite a bit better, and DE a little bit less?

So we should expect 3 wins against the Hounds this year?

#simpleWManalysis 😀
kniven

Post by kniven »

The Dulut East games were the only 2 games we played exceptionally well last year. Loss to Superior, Grand Rapids, and Andover were ugly. How you play when nobody is looking and consistency CEC had neither last year. Game at Moorhead last year extremely ugly too. Last 2 games last year were some of the worst hockey I’ve ever seen from a CEC high school hockey team. It’s not about the best players, but the right players. What...is the 1980 USA Olympic hockey team just a cliche now. Lots of work to do boys.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

I hope Shea gets the job if it is what he wants.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Kniven

#simpleWManalysis 😀
Coach Mike Randolph. That’s all you need to say about Duluth East. That teams competes no matter the talent. Coach Randolph turns those boys into the “right” players every year no matter the talent level.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:

#simpleWManalysis 😀
Coach Mike Randolph. That’s all you need to say about Duluth East. That teams competes no matter the talent. Coach Randolph turns those boys into the “right” players every year no matter the talent level.
So enlighten me, when has Duluth East not had talent?? Maybe 50 years ago
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:

#simpleWManalysis 😀
That’s a good point. They’ve always got talent. It’s just some years they have less than they did the year before. ei. This year they have 9 Elite league players. Last year they had 12. CEC has 6 this year and zero last year.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote: Coach Mike Randolph. That’s all you need to say about Duluth East. That teams competes no matter the talent. Coach Randolph turns those boys into the “right” players every year no matter the talent level.
That’s a good point. They’ve always got talent. It’s just some years they have less than they did the year before. ei. This year they have 9 Elite league players. Last year they had 12. CEC has 6 this year and zero last year.
Kudos to them but they are the Edina of northern Minnesota hockey. The odd year that Cloquet or Rapids gets by them rarely if ever do they have the same talent esp the depth players
kniven

Post by kniven »

Agreed. CEC is peaking this year and the next two, and we still don’t have the talent on paper to match Duluth East. It’s what is is.....
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote:Agreed. CEC is peaking this year and the next two, and we still don’t have the talent on paper to match Duluth East. It’s what is is.....
any news on the coaching front??
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote:
kniven wrote:Agreed. CEC is peaking this year and the next two, and we still don’t have the talent on paper to match Duluth East. It’s what is is.....
I haven't heard a thing.......pretty quiet out there
Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 »

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:
There's news out there now...or speculation on Twitter at least. :wink:
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

InThePipes wrote:
kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote: any news on the coaching front??
There's news out there now...or speculation on Twitter at least. :wink:
A very weird reversal if true.

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006