NTDP Camp Roster

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:09 pm

kniven wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
Good for him, Cathedral will be loaded next year.
I’m going to push back on this comment a bit. Would you have the same opinion if Smith accepted the offer? I realize this is a high school hockey message board, so we are inclined to be happy when the best players don’t leave early, in large part because it improves our experience as fans. But isn’t that a selfish perspective, and shouldn’t we support whatever decision the players and families feel is in their best interests?

The NTDP is not for everyone given the commitment and sacrifices involved. However, there is no arguing the success of the program in developing players and preparing them for college and even professional hockey. The young men in the NTDP play a ton of games against high-level opposition, and also have the privilege of representing their country in international competition. I just don’t see how you can criticize any player for choosing that route.
It's his opinion. If you are offended easily, than this forum is not for you.
I’m not offended, and certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me). I just don’t agree with the logic of automatically applauding a player for returning to high school. This is a discussion forum, after all, and I am just trying to draw out some dialogue on the subject.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:26 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
I’m going to push back on this comment a bit. Would you have the same opinion if Smith accepted the offer? I realize this is a high school hockey message board, so we are inclined to be happy when the best players don’t leave early, in large part because it improves our experience as fans. But isn’t that a selfish perspective, and shouldn’t we support whatever decision the players and families feel is in their best interests?

The NTDP is not for everyone given the commitment and sacrifices involved. However, there is no arguing the success of the program in developing players and preparing them for college and even professional hockey. The young men in the NTDP play a ton of games against high-level opposition, and also have the privilege of representing their country in international competition. I just don’t see how you can criticize any player for choosing that route.
I’m not offended, and certainly everyone is entitled to their opinion (including me). I just don’t agree with the logic of automatically applauding a player for returning to high school. This is a discussion forum, after all, and I am just trying to draw out some dialogue on the subject.
Sounds good. Cause I’m sure I offend a lot of fine folks on this forum, but i’m Really not too concerned about it.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

I'm not anti-NTDP, but the only guarantee with it is that you will never get those two years of your childhood back. I think that is why most applaud the kids who stay in High School. It might get you to College Hockey quicker than if you stay in High School, which some may find value in. But I don't think it does anything to change the level that you will eventually obtain. If you have the talent and the drive, you will get there regardless of the route you take. I could see it maybe being a good fit for the kid who doesn't have any interests outside of Hockey, but I don't know how many of those kids are out there. Developing as a Person will always be more important than developing as a Hockey Player in my humble opinion.

Herb Brooks felt that it was a huge waste of resources.

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. If your son gets invited to play at NTDP...it’s no small decision to make. There is no “right” or “wrong” decision. It depends on a multitude of factors. The big thing about NTDP...it’s about “trying” to accelerate your development as a player & the opportunity to represent your country in International Tournaments. But the downside is living away from home & for some kids (not all)’giving up the chance to play at Xcel in the State Tourney with the guys you grew up with. It’s a tough decision, but in the end, it comes down to what your SON wants to do (in his hockey career).

TheNightman

Post by TheNightman » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

I'm sure there was a lot of pressure on Smith and I think it's refreshing to see kids turn down the NTDP and stay in high school. My post was not meant as a criticism of players who accept the offer.

The NTDP is a great choice for a lot of kids and I can't argue with the results but I think ultimately if you're good enough you'll make it anyways.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:00 pm

TheNightman wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

I'm sure there was a lot of pressure on Smith and I think it's refreshing to see kids turn down the NTDP and stay in high school. My post was not meant as a criticism of players who accept the offer.

The NTDP is a great choice for a lot of kids and I can't argue with the results but I think ultimately if you're good enough you'll make it anyways.
Thanks for the thoughtful follow up. I didn’t mean to take a specific dig at you, but I do become frustrated at some of the attitudes toward players who follow different paths. As you stated, it is a difficult choice for each player based on their situation. And I have no doubt that a player good enough to make the U17 program will find success through the high school route as well.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:08 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

Thanks for the thoughtful follow up. I didn’t mean to take a specific dig at you, but I do become frustrated at some of the attitudes toward players who follow different paths. As you stated, it is a difficult choice for each player based on their situation. And I have no doubt that a player good enough to make the U17 program will find success through the high school route as well.
Why would someone having a different opinion bother you so much ?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
kniven wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:
TheNightman wrote:

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. If your son gets invited to play at NTDP...it’s no small decision to make. There is no “right” or “wrong” decision. It depends on a multitude of factors. The big thing about NTDP...it’s about “trying” to accelerate your development as a player & the opportunity to represent your country in International Tournaments. But the downside is living away from home & for some kids (not all)’giving up the chance to play at Xcel in the State Tourney with the guys you grew up with. It’s a tough decision, but in the end, it comes down to what your SON wants to do (in his hockey career).
I tried to convey that it is a nuanced decision, though perhaps not as well as you did. The original comment was just very short, and the commentor followed up that post nicely with more explanation. And these types of posts, I think, are helpful conversation for the forum. (Especially when we are bored in the off-season and hockey in general is winding down.)

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:12 pm

I have a question, why is the NTDP evaluating 2002's for the U17 program? Those kids will be U16 next year.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:19 pm

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:Thanks for the thoughtful follow up. I didn’t mean to take a specific dig at you, but I do become frustrated at some of the attitudes toward players who follow different paths. As you stated, it is a difficult choice for each player based on their situation. And I have no doubt that a player good enough to make the U17 program will find success through the high school route as well.
Why would someone having a different opinion bother you so much ?
You’re right, it shouldn’t, and I will just stop flapping my yap and painting myself into a corner even worse than I already have. Thanks for the helpful daily reminder that I can be an idiot :lol:

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:44 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:I have a question, why is the NTDP evaluating 2002's for the U17 program? Those kids will be U16 next year.
I believe it is primarily due to the fact that the team participates in the U17 World Challenge at the end of the year. Thus, the players must all be under the age of 17 as of December 31, 2018 (2002 birthdates).

Also, the age bracketing that USA Hockey follows is different from most other countries. Here, at least outside of Minnesota, we use brackets like 18U (18 & under), as opposed to the international version of U18 (under 18 ). The former means that a player can be 18 during the year in question, while the latter prevents 18-year-olds from playing. So the NTDP follows the international convention given that they compete in tournaments outside the United States.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:24 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:I have a question, why is the NTDP evaluating 2002's for the U17 program? Those kids will be U16 next year.
Stang is right. 16U is U17. 16 & Under = Under 17.
Be kind. Rewind.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Got it. Thanks guys.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:13 pm

I just realized another Minnesotan was at the Final 40 tryout. Cameron Berg is listed with a Grand Forks, ND address. According to my son, this is the same kid from White Bear Lake's Bantam team a year ago.
Be kind. Rewind.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:04 am

Cam Berg did play at WBL, he was on Omaha AAA U16 team this season. Maybe his parents moved? Don't really know.

CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD

Post by CHI-TOWN HOCKEYDAD » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:19 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:Cam Berg did play at WBL, he was on Omaha AAA U16 team this season. Maybe his parents moved? Don't really know.
Still live in WB. Moved there several years ago. Attended HM in 9th grade.