Is Greenway turning into Hermantown?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

CanAm Hockey

Re: Is Greenway turning into Hermantown?

Post by CanAm Hockey » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:12 pm

So, looking through this thread... Greenway has 5 kids coming in this year from other places? 2 - Hibbing, 1 - Ohio, 1 - Elk River, and 1 - Out East. Seems legit. Must be the long term development they talk about up there. :shock:

Goose21

Post by Goose21 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:10 am

CanAm Hockey wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:12 pm
So, looking through this thread... Greenway has 5 kids coming in this year from other places? 2 - Hibbing, 1 - Ohio, 1 - Elk River, and 1 - Out East. Seems legit. Must be the long term development they talk about up there. :shock:
Taking on Hermantown in the 7A Finals 2018
Hockey Day Minnesota 2019
The Hawks going AA 2019-20
:wink:
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm

CanAm Hockey wrote:
I love it!
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:41 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm
CanAm Hockey wrote:
I love it!
They are turning into Hermantown... :shock:

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:59 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:41 pm
kniven wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:48 pm
CanAm Hockey wrote:
I love it!
They are turning into Hermantown... :shock:
I love it!

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:22 am

CanAm Hockey wrote:
We got to keep up with you metro boys =D> :P

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:36 am

I don’t think that Greenway will continue to get the number of new kids that they got this year. I’ll be surprised if they even get one a year. Greenway attracted the Hibbing kids because of their chaotic situation although there is no doubt that the Ohio kid was recruited. The other two transfers were more family related. I think the circumstances were just right for this influx with Greenway having a good group of players coming back and a shot at beating Hermantown. Their bantam team is below average although their peewee team is above average. I actually believe last year was a better opportunity to go to state. This will be Greenway’s last chance to go to state unless Hermantown opts up. I won’t believe that until I see it on paper.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 am

First thoughts I’ve heard on the Greenway goalie is that he is quick, good size (6’1” or 6’2”) and determined. At least as good as Ville and probably better. The second transfer from Hibbing is ineligible so will be playing JV this year. Also an interesting bit of news is that there is serious talk of Virginia and Eveleth merging to form one high school. That team would be an annual contender if Hermantown opts up.

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:36 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:46 am
First thoughts I’ve heard on the Greenway goalie is that he is quick, good size (6’1” or 6’2”) and determined. At least as good as Ville and probably better. The second transfer from Hibbing is ineligible so will be playing JV this year. Also an interesting bit of news is that there is serious talk of Virginia and Eveleth merging to form one high school. That team would be an annual contender if Hermantown opts up.
In the meantime, watch the replay of Hermantown's loss in last year's semifinals. Not sure who left, and who is returning, but if you can get it out of your zone with numbers they were very susceptible to getting beat. I think Greenway has the talent to beat them. I am hoping that you break through this year.

Virginia/Eveleth could be a challenge for anyone. Good luck this year!

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 12:34 am

rainier2 wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:55 am
greenwayraider wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:39 am
I expect to see Hibbing representing Section 7A at state at some point. They’ve just have hit a bad stretch and will turn things around.
Agreed. With Greenway's revival, Virginia, Hibbing, and Denfeld usually in the top 5 mix, Proctor's likely growth due to better facilities, E-G's vast improvement, North Shore's increased numbers from the combined program, and I-Falls' not being far behind the top 4-5 most years, I can see 7A being a fun section with a exciting Semifinal Saturday nearly every year.

I look forward to Greenway bringing home the next two Class A titles.
All you people that think a Hermantown opt up is automatic need to pump the brakes. It's 50/50 at best right now. The only thing that's changed is Pat Andrews has come out publicly to say they are a AA program. If I had to bet I would say they're very happy with where they're at and they stay in A. Could be wrong though....

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:10 am

jeffy95:
All you people that think a Hermantown opt up is automatic need to pump the brakes. It's 50/50 at best right now. The only thing that's changed is Pat Andrews has come out publicly to say they are a AA program. If I had to bet I would say they're very happy with where they're at and they stay in A. Could be wrong though....

I totally agree with you. I won’t believe it til I see it.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:34 am

Exactly! Why move? Hermantown has the perfect recipe and its all within the legal guidelines of MSHSL rules.
Open enrollment is a joke, just look at the free agent moves in the metro. MSHSL has created this mess so we
all can just live with it and watch the same 16 teams go to St. Paul year in and year out. B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!
You will never see the miracle runs of a Rochester JM or Reggie Miracle MPLS SW type of run ever again. Thanks to MSHSL
cast of braindead lunatics. MSHSL solution to every sport is to just add another level. Biggest bunch of pinheads ever assembled!!!
Well maybe USA hockey tops them for raging lunatics but MSHSL ain't far behind. :P

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:47 am

NWO gets my vote for best blog entry in October.
Play Like a Champion Today

zooomx

Post by zooomx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:25 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:34 am
Exactly! Why move? Hermantown has the perfect recipe and its all within the legal guidelines of MSHSL rules.
Open enrollment is a joke, just look at the free agent moves in the metro. MSHSL has created this mess so we
all can just live with it and watch the same 16 teams go to St. Paul year in and year out. B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!
You will never see the miracle runs of a Rochester JM or Reggie Miracle MPLS SW type of run ever again. Thanks to MSHSL
cast of braindead lunatics. MSHSL solution to every sport is to just add another level. Biggest bunch of pinheads ever assembled!!!
Well maybe USA hockey tops them for raging lunatics but MSHSL ain't far behind. :P
Doesn't seem like Class A has the same teams in St. Paul every year (other than Hermantown). Honestly, if a player want out of a school district, they are leaving open enrollment or not.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 am

Post 1985 (or whenever open enrollment came along) a family had to change jobs, sell home and move to the new district. Greener pastures was not in the vocabulary for the overwhelming majority of athletes as sport was not top priority in the day to day affairs of a family. At the time dad would tell kid hell no, toughen up kid, that's life, so deal with it. In other words dad gave little johnny a reality check on the spot. The kid soon moved on to accept the reality of his existence and played at the less than desirable school. By retaining some talent the underdog schools managed to offer up some exciting regional and state upsets / near upsets which added to the lore that is / was Minnesota High School hockey at the time. Of course few exceptions to the norm did exist but the entitlement was not the exception it is today.

Single A is fairly predictable with top teams being St. Cloud Cathedral, Orono, Mahtomedi, East Grand, and Hermantown as annual and or semi annual participants. Some depth in the quarterfinal does exist which is nice to see but those teams usually get drubbed by the top teams.

To be honest overall it has become a very vanilla affair at the State level with socioeconomic, sport cost and open enrollment being a contributing factor.

bardown27

Post by bardown27 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am

Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 am
Post 1985 (or whenever open enrollment came along) a family had to change jobs, sell home and move to the new district. Greener pastures was not in the vocabulary for the overwhelming majority of athletes as sport was not top priority in the day to day affairs of a family. At the time dad would tell kid hell no, toughen up kid, that's life, so deal with it. In other words dad gave little johnny a reality check on the spot. The kid soon moved on to accept the reality of his existence and played at the less than desirable school. By retaining some talent the underdog schools managed to offer up some exciting regional and state upsets / near upsets which added to the lore that is / was Minnesota High School hockey at the time. Of course few exceptions to the norm did exist but the entitlement was not the exception it is today.

Single A is fairly predictable with top teams being St. Cloud Cathedral, Orono, Mahtomedi, East Grand, and Hermantown as annual and or semi annual participants. Some depth in the quarterfinal does exist which is nice to see but those teams usually get drubbed by the top teams.

To be honest overall it has become a very vanilla affair at the State level with socioeconomic, sport cost and open enrollment being a contributing factor.
In the last ten years, each class has had the following number of teams:

1A- 5 (Mankato East, Northfield, Mankato West, New Prague, Rochester Lourdes)
2A- 3 (Orono, Delano, Breck)
3A- 5 (LDC, Luverne, New Ulm, Marshall, Hutch)
4A- 4 (Mahtomedi, SPA, TG, STA)
5A- 4 (MAML, Princeton, Spring Lake Park, Chisago Lakes)
6A- 4 (Alex, SCC, Apollo, Little Falls)
7A- 4 (Hermatown, Duluth Marshall, Hibbing, Virginia)
8A- 3 (TRF, EGF, Warroad)

There have been 17 different (out of 40 possible) teams to appear in the state semis in those ten years:

Hermantown - 9 times
Breck - 5 times
Cathedral - 3 times
Mahtomedi - 3 times
STA - 3 times
TRF - 3 times
EGF - 3 times
Warroad - 2 times
Little Falls - 1 time
Hibbing - 1 time
New Prague - 1 time
Apollo - 1 time
SPA - 1 time
MAML - 1 time
Northfield - 1 time
Orono - 1 time
Alex - 1 time

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:37 am

bardown27 wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:25 am

In the last ten years, each class has had the following number of teams:

1A- 5 (Mankato East, Northfield, Mankato West, New Prague, Rochester Lourdes)
2A- 3 (Orono, Delano, Breck)
3A- 5 (LDC, Luverne, New Ulm, Marshall, Hutch)
4A- 4 (Mahtomedi, SPA, TG, STA)
5A- 4 (MAML, Princeton, Spring Lake Park, Chisago Lakes)
6A- 4 (Alex, SCC, Apollo, Little Falls)
7A- 4 (Hermatown, Duluth Marshall, Hibbing, Virginia)
8A- 3 (TRF, EGF, Warroad)

There have been 17 different (out of 40 possible) teams to appear in the state semis in those ten years:

Hermantown - 9 times
Breck - 5 times
Cathedral - 3 times
Mahtomedi - 3 times
STA - 3 times
TRF - 3 times
EGF - 3 times
Warroad - 2 times
Little Falls - 1 time
Hibbing - 1 time
New Prague - 1 time
Apollo - 1 time
SPA - 1 time
MAML - 1 time
Northfield - 1 time
Orono - 1 time
Alex - 1 time
In 7A, the years that DM, Hibbing, and Virginia went to state, Hermantown was in 5A.

CanAm Hockey

Post by CanAm Hockey » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:47 am

Couldn't agree more. A lot of kids have no dedication to their program and their buddies and are just looking out for themselves. And parents nowadays are as much to blame as them if not more. It is sad to see Minnesota High School Hockey turning into Juniors with recruitment, and kids moving around at will. It used to be great to see when a town, especially a smaller one had homegrown kids that had a couple special players would make a run at the State Tourney and/or State Championship.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:40 pm

I sure hope Greenway is coming to Cloquet for a pre-season game this year. It was fun to play Greenway in the pre-season last year.....

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:15 am

They are scheduled to scrimmage in Cloquet on 11-17. They scrimmage Hill-Murray Friday night in Coleraine.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:22 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:15 am
They are scheduled to scrimmage in Cloquet on 11-17. They scrimmage Hill-Murray Friday night in Coleraine.

Excellent! Coach Clafton is a great coach and guy. I will be there on 11/17. Thanks, Raider :)