NCAA aims to slow early recruiting with rule changes

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

NCAA aims to slow early recruiting with rule changes

Post by JerseyDave »

"Hockey seeks some relief as NCAA aims to slow early recruiting with rule changes"

MADISON.com: "Nearly two months ago, University of Wisconsin men’s hockey coaches had to beat the clock to be able to get their latest committed recruit onto campus to see them. Minnesota forward Nick Pierre was scheduled to make an unofficial visit with the Badgers on May 12 until pending NCAA legislation played a role in both sides moving that ahead to April 22."

MORE: https://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/col ... 3309c.html
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Will the legislation be effective for hockey? I'm a bit skeptical it will do much to move the needle. The coaches can still contact the kids by having a friend tap on dads shoulder and saying "coach wants you to call him". There may be some situations where a kid needs the visit to make a decision but let's be honest........most of the top end kids have played in many or all of the 5 D1 Minnesota Arenas and the Ralph at various games/camps/events by the time they get to that point. They don't really need to see the facilities. The main thing is the coach and if they can figure out if they mesh with him through multiple contacts away from campus........I just don't see it slowing it down much.

They had to do something.......and this is a step.....so that's good. I just don't think it goes far enough. Hope I'm wrong.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

A commitment is not binding. I would be very hesitant to allow my 8th grade Johnny to make a college commitment. There is pressure on coaches to find the next superstar. And so it is to their advantage to make early commitments. The problem is, many 8th grade superstars don't turn out to be college/pro superstars. And verbal commitments are not binding. That 8th grader then thinks they have it made and will be taken care of, only to find out when they turn 18/19 there are other players who have developed more and are taking those scholarships.

Things will only change when parents realize this and stop chasing the commitments at an early age.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

That isn't going to happen anytime soon goaliedad.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Section 8 guy wrote:Will the legislation be effective for hockey? I'm a bit skeptical it will do much to move the needle. The coaches can still contact the kids by having a friend tap on dads shoulder and saying "coach wants you to call him". There may be some situations where a kid needs the visit to make a decision but let's be honest........most of the top end kids have played in many or all of the 5 D1 Minnesota Arenas and the Ralph at various games/camps/events by the time they get to that point. They don't really need to see the facilities. The main thing is the coach and if they can figure out if they mesh with him through multiple contacts away from campus........I just don't see it slowing it down much.

They had to do something.......and this is a step.....so that's good. I just don't think it goes far enough. Hope I'm wrong.
A, "tap on the shoulder" from a "close personal friend" might send a message but doesn't move the needle on the the remaining 95% of what goes into recruiting a great majority of the type of commits this specific measure is intending to reduce. There will be exceptions to every rule but in today's world where almost nothing is secret I disagree this will have as little impact as you insinuate.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

The tap on the shoulder goes a lot further than you’re giving it credit for. It opens up the communication lines entirely between coach and player and the players family. The way I read it, The only thing the new legislation does is prohibits that contact and communication from taking place on Campus within the context of a visit. Maybe I’m reading it wrong.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Section 8 guy wrote:The tap on the shoulder goes a lot further than you’re giving it credit for. It opens up the communication lines entirely between coach and player and the players family. The way I read it, The only thing the new legislation does is prohibits that contact and communication from taking place on Campus within the context of a visit. Maybe I’m reading it wrong.
No. The tap on the shoulder doesn't go nearly as far as you insinuate and there's at an immense amount left that goes into the start to finish commitment process.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Slap Shot wrote:
Section 8 guy wrote:The tap on the shoulder goes a lot further than you’re giving it credit for. It opens up the communication lines entirely between coach and player and the players family. The way I read it, The only thing the new legislation does is prohibits that contact and communication from taking place on Campus within the context of a visit. Maybe I’m reading it wrong.
No. The tap on the shoulder doesn't go nearly as far as you insinuate and there's at an immense amount left that goes into the start to finish commitment process.
Hey, I asked the question if people thought it would be effective. The way I read it all of the remaining part of the process that you refer to can still happen. Just not on campus. I hope that's not correct because change is needed. Would be interested in some other perspectives from others that know the process well.
Goldy Gopher

Re: NCAA aims to slow early recruiting with rule changes

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Nothing better than rubes trying to interpret NCAA rules. Please continue. :D =D>
The U invented swagger.
goldy313

Re: NCAA aims to slow early recruiting with rule changes

Post by goldy313 »

The NCAA can’t even interpret their own rules consistently.