2018 elite league

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

TheNightman

Re: 2018 elite league

Post by TheNightman »

elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Between North and Great Plains
2 St C Cath
2 Moorhead
1 TRFalls
4 Greenway
1 Warroad
2 Buffalo
1 Alex
1 Roseau
1 Brainerd
1 Minnetonka
1 Eveleth
7 North Dakota
2 Grand Rapids
5 Cloquet
4 Hermantown
1 East G Forks
9 Duluth East
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

What gives with the 1 Minnetonka lad playing north of the metroplex?
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 am What gives with the 1 Minnetonka lad playing north of the metroplex?
He lived in and played in St. Cloud last year. Probably upsetting to some in the GP region who could have had that spot, but I’m sure the same would be said for whoever’s spot he would have taken in the metro.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

elliott70 wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:19 pm Between North and Great Plains
2 St C Cath
2 Moorhead
1 TRFalls
4 Greenway
1 Warroad
2 Buffalo
1 Alex
1 Roseau
1 Brainerd
1 Minnetonka
1 Eveleth
7 North Dakota
2 Grand Rapids
5 Cloquet
4 Hermantown
1 East G Forks
9 Duluth East
2 more Greenway players on Team CCM.
northwoods oldtimer

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:01 am
northwoods oldtimer wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:41 am What gives with the 1 Minnetonka lad playing north of the metroplex?
He lived in and played in St. Cloud last year. Probably upsetting to some in the GP region who could have had that spot, but I’m sure the same would be said for whoever’s spot he would have taken in the metro.
Ahh, I see thanks for update.
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

I see a number of younger kids on rosters, but seems weird that not one of the to-be sophomores at Maple Grove this year who played on the state champion Osseo-Maple Grove Bantam AA team last year made the cut. That team was the most dominant AA/A Bantam team in recent memory. I know Faber left for USNTDP, but gotta think at least one other kid on that team would be playing in Elite League this fall. Did they not try out? I watched state championship game they played against Eden Prairie last year, winning 7-2. I see the youngest Middelstadt, who played in that game, made Elite League. This is not as much a knock against him as it is kudos for the MG players, but in my eyes there were a number of kids on ice for MG in that game better than Middlestadt. Kyle Kukkonen, whose senior older brother is on Northwest Elite Team, was best kid on ice in that state championship game, netting a hat trick. Really surprised that at least he didn’t make Elite League cut given other youngsters who did.
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Kukkonen and Janicke are playing for the U16 Blades
Play Like a Champion Today
SpreadOut!

Post by SpreadOut! »

Got it. Thanks for clarification.
northwoods oldtimer

SpreadOut! wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:09 pm I see a number of younger kids on rosters, but seems weird that not one of the to-be sophomores at Maple Grove this year who played on the state champion Osseo-Maple Grove Bantam AA team last year made the cut. That team was the most dominant AA/A Bantam team in recent memory. I know Faber left for USNTDP, but gotta think at least one other kid on that team would be playing in Elite League this fall. Did they not try out? I watched state championship game they played against Eden Prairie last year, winning 7-2. I see the youngest Middelstadt, who played in that game, made Elite League. This is not as much a knock against him as it is kudos for the MG players, but in my eyes there were a number of kids on ice for MG in that game better than Middlestadt. Kyle Kukkonen, whose senior older brother is on Northwest Elite Team, was best kid on ice in that state championship game, netting a hat trick. Really surprised that at least he didn’t make Elite League cut given other youngsters who did.
Agree! There is a certain program in the state that gets infatuated with last name recognition. Once in your ticket is paved. The MG kids will be just fine despite the snub.
MWS coach

Post by MWS coach »

blueblood wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:46 pm Kukkonen and Janicke are playing for the U16 Blades
Nelson from same OMGHA BAA team is also on U16 Blades.
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

SpreadOut! wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 pm
I see a number of younger kids on rosters, but seems weird that not one of the to-be sophomores at Maple Grove this year who played on the state champion Osseo-Maple Grove Bantam AA team last year made the cut. That team was the most dominant AA/A Bantam team in recent memory. I know Faber left for USNTDP, but gotta think at least one other kid on that team would be playing in Elite League this fall. Did they not try out? I watched state championship game they played against Eden Prairie last year, winning 7-2. I see the youngest Middelstadt, who played in that game, made Elite League. This is not as much a knock against him as it is kudos for the MG players, but in my eyes there were a number of kids on ice for MG in that game better than Middlestadt. Kyle Kukkonen, whose senior older brother is on Northwest Elite Team, was best kid on ice in that state championship game, netting a hat trick. Really surprised that at least he didn’t make Elite League cut given other youngsters who did.

I don't think any of these Bantam kids who have never played a game of High School Hockey should be on the Elite League rosters. Plenty of time to earn their stripes. Keep it at a high level.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

I disagree goalie dad, respectively of course...There is competition everywhere for these kids to choose the best option. On top of that, some of the top juniors and seniors choose to play U16 /U18 while others opt to play USHL or NA. So based on that, should the league take a soon to be 3rd line high school senior or a young up and coming?

Some of these younger kids it's their USHL draft year. Additionally all of these kids are on top of the recruiting boards at all the colleges. So the HS elite league brings value to the colleges and USHL scouts by offering these young kids in one place

I'm sure the USHL scouts and colleges love the fact that they don't have to put 50,000 miles on their cars this fall driving around the Midwest just to evaluate these top young guns

In my opinion, the HS Elite league and a handful of the right 10th graders appears to be a win win win scenario for the league, the scouts and the kids
Bluewhitefan

Post by Bluewhitefan »

goaliedad31 wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:55 am SpreadOut! wrote: ↑
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:09 pm

I don't think any of these Bantam kids who have never played a game of High School Hockey should be on the Elite League rosters. Plenty of time to earn their stripes. Keep it at a high level.
That train left the station so long ago I can't even hear it anymore.
Mavskie

Post by Mavskie »

YPH respectfully too. Elite league was originally designed to offer Sr/Jr more games so they don’t leave HS early. Young guns will get chance when it comes. 3rd line players can develop given chance to see pace needed to elevate game.
yesiplayedhockey

Mavskie

Since we are going "back in time" remember hockey was once a sport "originally" played 4 months out of the year. Heck the hockey landscape today has changed drastically from where it was even 3,4,5 years ago.

I don't totally disagree with what you are saying. I guess someone from the HS elite league would have to comment more on this. Was their original goal to just showcase the best 11th and 12th graders???? or was it to showcase the "best high school kids"

My assumption is back when the HS elite league was formed they didn't have a handful of Tier 1 teams competing against them for the best players.

Today, I think the HS Elite philosophy is to put out the best product possible for the scouts and colleges regardless of age. I could be wrong but that is my guess.

As far as that late blooming senior who will be on the 3rd line. If it's my kid, I send him to the Red Black league where he will get more touches. Or find him a good U16 team that focuses on a 4/1 practice to game ratio.

It's a great conversation topic though and appreciates everyones input.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

The elite league was started to address the limited number of games that the high school hockey season provided as well as to prevent Juniors and Seniors leaving for other leagues because there are 60 plus games vs 25 games. They still have this mission, however they have been succumbed to the pressure from others to have the stud 9 and 10th graders on the team with perceived college potential vs the hard working potential late blooming senior. GB
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

Bringing in the 9th and 10th graders (kids who haven't ever played high school) only waters down the level of play and crowds out legitimate older kids. Let the Prep league or the Tier I leagues showcase the younger talent. Make them legitimate leagues and showcase them there. Scouts will have a better time assessing them against their peers.
yesiplayedhockey

Couple points

1. Just because a kid didn't play High School hockey doesn't mean a thing. Every year you could easily point out 10-15 Bantam kids who could have easily made their High School team had they chosen to play up (or in some cases, had their High School coach allowed these kids to play up)

2. At 10th grade, colleges (and other scouts) want to see how these kids play against kids 2 to 3 years older. They've seen the kid dominate at their level and now it times to evaluate how they handle the pace of play and the heavy bodies leaning on them. 10th grade is a big year for these colleges and scouts as it's the USHL draft year and it's becoming the norm on when kids verbally commit

Maybe the answer is this. Should the elite league

1. Allow a couple other U16/U18 teams to play in the league or
2. Add a team or two of high end young kids?
3. Start a whole new league of 4-6 teams specifically aimed at this younger age group

Either way, I don't see the complaining to ever end. Someone will always be unhappy. Whether it's the young kids or the coaches/agents with so called "hidden" agendas... It's a great league and has been an incredible resource to keep kids from leaving.
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

There are a number of talented, seasoned 11th graders who scored 20+ points last season, played all 25 games or more, 2nd liners, etc.- and were not even invited to tryout for Elite League. If they are lucky enough to be 02 then U16 Tier 1 is a good option- which I think is where a number of those kids playing?
I agree that u16 T-1 is where the 02/03 10th grade 'last year Bantam super-stars' should play a well- Blades I think landed a couple MG studs?
In my humble opinion, Elite League should be for those kids who have already established themselves as formidable HS top-players.
northwoods oldtimer

I thinks its a grittier league with more junior / senior playing. However I don't mind seeing some of the top end sophomores joining the ranks. There have been some good ones over the past few years. Like to see the league play more midget teams and few junior teams. The league is a bit stale and needs an added wrinkle of competition.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

6.4" goalie Lukas Haugen turns back 49 shots as Team SE beats Team SW 3-1. SW only goal came late on a 6 on 5. First time Ive seen Haugen in action, 1 game does not a season make, but this senior from Southwest Christian/Richfield was very VERY impressive tonight against a talent laden Team SW lineup. The Tonka and Edina talent were wondering what the heck they had to do to get one past this kid. Also noted HM freshman Nick Pierre, a top 10 American born in his age class, held his own amongst the older elite crowd, got off a few good snipes which Bailey Huber managed to glove. Finally noted, Cretins Matt Gleason started this season with his usual 200 foot 200% effort on every shift, love that kid.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

Agree that one game doesn't make a season but after watching all four games this morning I thought Mike Koster was the most impactful player despite the fact that his team lost.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

There was quite a bit of discussion on top HS goalies earlier in this thread, both Elite League and others

Here are goalie stats from this weekend. Quite a bit of parity. Haugen definitely had the most amazing performance

Glockner unavailable to play

In other top HS goalie action, Boynton and Howe each got shutouts against Sioux Falls for U18 Blades

Don’t know where Daninger ,Carlson, McGuire or Johnson( Lvn) ended up this preseason

Elite League Stats

Josh Weyandt. Southwest. 1.00
Lukan Haugen#33 Southeast .980
Collin Dorzinski#30 Northeast .975
Bailey Huber#30 Southwest .938
Lukan Hanson#30 North .921
Rem Keople#30 Wisconsin .910
Nate Bradbury#1 Great Pla .900
Carter Clafton#1 North .897
Muzzy Donahue#1 Northeast .889
Ben Fritsinger#1 Northwest .880
Mueller Great Pl .872
Welsch SE .830
Last edited by WestMetro on Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
bardown27

Post by bardown27 »

LVN's Johnson is playing in the MN Elite Prep Development League (MNEPDL) this fall.