2018 elite league

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

SpOilerfan

2018 elite league

Post by SpOilerfan » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:00 pm

any news on tryouts or rosters?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:22 pm

Greenway has four players that should be seriously considered: Lawson. Miller, Rajala and Lantz. Also, Birdsall and Troumbly could get a look.

kniven

Re: 2018 elite league

Post by kniven » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:46 pm

SpOilerfan wrote:any news on tryouts or rosters?
Elite league is all about politics.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:22 pm

kniven wrote:
SpOilerfan wrote:any news on tryouts or rosters?
Elite league is all about politics.

Why would you say this? Can you explain / give examples?

8-[ :?

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Well, I say this as repeating what hundreds of hockey people tell me from all over the state of hockey. I’ve followed CEC home and away, like a puppy dog, to literally every game since 2010-2011. One of my favorite things to do at these rinks is talk to the locals at these rinks. Maybe it’s the opinion of 7A and 7AA fans mostly? Now I can think for myself too. I would say if you take an entire elite roster.....half of the players on those rosters are for reasons other than superior talent.

SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:44 pm

kniven wrote:Well, I say this as repeating what hundreds of hockey people tell me from all over the state of hockey. I’ve followed CEC home and away, like a puppy dog, to literally every game since 2010-2011. One of my favorite things to do at these rinks is talk to the locals at these rinks. Maybe it’s the opinion of 7A and 7AA fans mostly? Now I can think for myself too. I would say if you take an entire elite roster.....half of the players on those rosters are for reasons other than superior talent.
cmon? that's off the wall even for you!!

formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:57 pm

kniven wrote:Well, I say this as repeating what hundreds of hockey people tell me from all over the state of hockey. I’ve followed CEC home and away, like a puppy dog, to literally every game since 2010-2011. One of my favorite things to do at these rinks is talk to the locals at these rinks. Maybe it’s the opinion of 7A and 7AA fans mostly? Now I can think for myself too. I would say if you take an entire elite roster.....half of the players on those rosters are for reasons other than superior talent.
Any credibility, has been lost.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:25 am

formersection3Afan wrote:
I don't think I would go that far. Politics are involved in EVERYTHING! Those kids should be playing Golf or Baseball anyway...

kniven

Post by kniven » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm

I am accountable to the kids of CEC. Credibility to the forum is not a priority in my life......sorry about that.

CreaseMonkey

Post by CreaseMonkey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:30 am

kniven wrote:.....half of the players on those rosters are for reasons other than superior talent.
Well, as a fan of CEC you have a coach who knows how to play that system to perfection. In fact, he does not hesitate to let people know he has the ability to impact their player's off season options if they cross him.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:23 am

Knivens CEC boys seem to get snubbed for some reason from the Elite inner circle. With only 2 northern teams though its pretty tight for roster spots with that stupid automatic bid policy. IMHO too many sophomores in the league that take spots from junior and senior kids. 11 or 12 from one team seems to be a stretch too, last i checked CEC had some good payers to warrant 3 to 5 getting some roster time in that league. Sucks for northern kids looking for fall hockey as alternative options for fall are limited. I think the metro guys do a pretty decent job making sure the top kids get a chance to play, although they have a few more teams to move kids into spots. Whatever the case is do not let an elite snub dictate your success the elite league is not a deal breaker.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:17 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
formersection3Afan wrote:
I don't think I would go that far. Politics are involved in EVERYTHING! Those kids should be playing Golf or Baseball anyway...
Agree on the everything.. Parents go to drastic measures to make teams and leagues. Crazy for someone to say something with such magnetism has little political pull. I remember an A program that could never get by mahtomedi having 10+ players in the league and three AA sections having less combined.
Last edited by MrBoDangles on Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:31 pm

Wow, that is pretty bitter! My experience has been most of the kids that should be there are and for the most part the best of these rise to the top of the stat sheet. It certainly isn’t perfect but having been part of the staff some of the assertions being made here are laughable. Do some kids maybe get more than they deserve? Likely, but it’s not so widespread as some seem to think.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:22 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Wow, that is pretty bitter! My experience has been most of the kids that should be there are and for the most part the best of these rise to the top of the stat sheet. It certainly isn’t perfect but having been part of the staff some of the assertions being made here are laughable. Do some kids maybe get more than they deserve? Likely, but it’s not so widespread as some seem to think.
I'm not bitter at all.... The consistent politics through the years has totally fueled my son's jets.. And I'm not ripping the Elite League in any way.. it's actually a phenomenal league, just wish coaches could look past having to scratch old buddies backs and just give equal opportunities and let the lines roll.. Of course stats will inflate with 45% of the 5 on 5 ice and 85% of the PP... and it didn't even seem to matter that the other teams tripled them up in points. It was probably totally different on other teams, but just giving the facts on one of the teams during a season.

*The players that got most of the playing time were plenty talented, but were outplayed fairly quickly from being on the ice too long... Hard to explain on here without everything being understood the wrong way.

There's always room for improvements for things :wink:

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:30 am

One of the more "humorous" elite league moments was a few years back when Oliver had most of the egf squad on an elite league team. And he was the coach of that team.

Nothing like a few extra months of team practice before the season starts. :P

frozenponds

Post by frozenponds » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:52 pm

[quote="zamboniexhaustinhaler"]One of the more "humorous" elite league moments was a few years back when Oliver had most of the egf squad on an elite league team. And he was the coach of that team.

Nothing like a few extra months of team practice before the season starts. :P[/quote]

What year was that? I can't recall EGF kids being on the Great Plains team. EGF boys have typically played on North.

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:05 pm

I was told that if you make the team one year you are automatically on the team the next year. Also if you make a national tryout team you automatically make the team. That leaves limited spaces open each year. Is this true?

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:28 pm

frozenponds wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:One of the more "humorous" elite league moments was a few years back when Oliver had most of the egf squad on an elite league team. And he was the coach of that team.

What year was that? I can't recall EGF kids being on the Great Plains team. EGF boys have typically played on North.
2013 iirc. The year they won their "first" title of the recent years. Don't recall which team of the two you list, but it was one of them.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm

frozenponds wrote:
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:One of the more "humorous" elite league moments was a few years back when Oliver had most of the egf squad on an elite league team. And he was the coach of that team.

2015 Dixon Bowen played on Great Plains. Not sure if that is the year in question.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:22 pm

WarmUpTheBus wrote:
frozenponds wrote:

2015 Dixon Bowen played on Great Plains. Not sure if that is the year in question.
Yeah, iirc after Oliver could coach one team, but the egf kids had to be on the other (between GP and North).
Might have even been the '12 EL season now that I think about it.

pioneers

Post by pioneers » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:17 pm

greenwayraider wrote:I was told that if you make the team one year you are automatically on the team the next year. Also if you make a national tryout team you automatically make the team. That leaves limited spaces open each year. Is this true?
Yes if you are on one year you have an automatic spot the next. Not sure about the national team. However I would expect if you were good enough to make that, you would probably have a spot without trying out.
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:51 pm

keepyourheadup wrote:Wow, that is pretty bitter! My experience has been most of the kids that should be there are and for the most part the best of these rise to the top of the stat sheet. It certainly isn’t perfect but having been part of the staff some of the assertions being made here are laughable. Do some kids maybe get more than they deserve? Likely, but it’s not so widespread as some seem to think.

Not bitter, the proof is in the pudding. 17 of the 24 kids for CCM Tie 1 fall league in our district are from two associations....and two of the six ppl performing the evals just happened to be bantam coaches from those associations. Weird.

blueblood

fatcat

Post by blueblood » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:32 pm

if you live in Lakeville North or South it's not that difficult to believe the numbers you quote above
Play Like a Champion Today

thefatcat

Re: fatcat

Post by thefatcat » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:47 pm

blueblood wrote:if you live in Lakeville North or South it's not that difficult to believe the numbers you quote above
Nope, opposite end of town. While I don't dispute the strength of the two associations I do question them taking up 66% of the roster considering there are some pretty talented kids within the district who didn't make it. I'm also not claiming widespread corruption as I think that maybe there were 5-6 kids who deserved the nod over the kids from the two association. It's just bad optics when the bubble kids are given the nod over kids who performed better during the tryouts.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 pm

Team North Roster Prediction

CEC: 5
HT : 4
GR : 2
DE : 6
DM: 2
Other 1