2018 elite league

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

keepyourheadup

Post by keepyourheadup »

As I posted earlier the selection process isn’t perfect but unfortunately whether it’s elite league, selects, or hp/USA the process will always be subjective. I’ve witnessed some real head scratchers as both a coach and a parent over the years. The important thing is to always remember if a kid can play in this state somebody is eventually going to notice and if he can’t people are going to notice as well.
kniven

Post by kniven »

keepyourheadup wrote:As I posted earlier the selection process isn’t perfect but unfortunately whether it’s elite league, selects, or hp/USA the process will always be subjective. I’ve witnessed some real head scratchers as both a coach and a parent over the years. The important thing is to always remember if a kid can play in this state somebody is eventually going to notice and if he can’t people are going to notice as well.
👏👍
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

List of invites for Sunday’s tryouts for those not already invited

http://www.hselitehockey.com/news/2018- ... ation-info

Definitely some puzzles on goalies, those there and those not

And, how in the world was Nick Dainty not a early invite already ?? I think he had 50 points last year?
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

WestMetro wrote:List of invites for Sunday’s tryouts for those not already invited

http://www.hselitehockey.com/news/2018- ... ation-info

Definitely some puzzles on goalies, those there and those not

And, how in the world was Nick Dainty not a early invite already ?? I think he had 50 points last year?
Man Westy how many Achan boys are in the Burnsville pack?
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

NWOT

They haven’t caught up with the Brodzinskis!
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Thanks for the list WM. I have an idea, but does anybody know if there’s a list out there of the auto-bids into the league? Interested in a few names I don’t see on this list who also weren’t shoe-ins in my eyes on being an early invite.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:Thanks for the list WM. I have an idea, but does anybody know if there’s a list out there of the auto-bids into the league? Interested in a few names I don’t see on this list who also weren’t shoe-ins in my eyes on being an early invite.
Double-top secret, that :lol:
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Final rosters will be out in a couple weeks showing all kids, both early invites and final invites

Last year players are auto re-invites. Other top tier kids are early invites unless departing high school, or playing before and after somewhere

As I said in earlier post, aside from 7 goalie candidates from the SW metro while missing one of the best, the only other shock I saw was Andover’s Nick Dainty having to compete for a slot when he scored over 50 points last year. There ought to be an automatic invite for the 50 point club

The average age of elite players gets younger and younger . We will see lots of sophomores again this year and probably one freshman
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

WestMetro wrote:aside from 7 goalie candidates from the SW metro while missing one of the best,
That’s why I was hoping to see who auto bids were, to see if the missing players are snubs or already in the league. Do you know already about the specific goalie you’re thinking of if he is already in the league or not? I figured they wouldn’t release until it’s all complete though, as you said WM. Can’t have tryout players knowing how many spots are available!!
goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 »

kind of sad they seem to going the way of the scouts and letting younger and younger kids play even though they haven't played a game of high school yet just because they are good within their age group and have a known name.
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

Tryout goaltender list is a bit disappointing?

Any obvious guaranteed invites?

Not including SSM and Wisconsin.

Returners:

Charlie Glockner SW
Ethan Haider NW
Ben Fritsinger NE
Lukan Hanson N

Spots Open:

Great Plains (2)
NE (1)
SW (1)
NW (1)
North (1)
SE (1)

I could see Mueller getting moved from CCM to NW.
Haider gone if playing juniors? This year compared to last 2 seasons - large drop off in talent IMO.

Graduated: Holum, Hjelle, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Raasch, Krier, Garrity, Andersen
InThePipes

Post by InThePipes »

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
WestMetro wrote:aside from 7 goalie candidates from the SW metro while missing one of the best,
That’s why I was hoping to see who auto bids were, to see if the missing players are snubs or already in the league. Do you know already about the specific goalie you’re thinking of if he is already in the league or not? I figured they wouldn’t release until it’s all complete though, as you said WM. Can’t have tryout players knowing how many spots are available!!
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how this shakes out, can't imagine they would have missed him.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Haider leaving early for the Magicians

Two other top 10 goalies in state will not be participating in Elite League
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

WestMetro wrote:Haider leaving early for the Magicians

Two other top 10 goalies in state will not be participating in Elite League
All the other goalie returners back?

Who are the other 2 out? Before and after in juniors?
CakeScout17

Haider to Magicians?

Post by CakeScout17 »

Really? WHY?

Goalies don't really accelerate through too many programs do they? Especially MN goalies? Not being sarcastic - just asking.

Thats too bad as MG has good squad and uber talent coming this year and next. Also, starting G for the Magicians last year was stellar in 2nd half of the year, Isaiah Saville. Very strong. If he's back he will start 80% of the games and Haider sits? I don't think Saville is off to UNO until Fall 2019. Interesting...

Then again, unconfirmed word is G. Mackay made the Madison Capitols - so what do I know.
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

Saville has his USHL right traded afaik. He isn’t coming back to Magicians. The Alaska native will play one to two years USHL b4 heading to NO. He is a senior this year. Stejskal is playing in WB of the NAHL (after playing in Des Moines all last season). The NAHL is a goalie driven league. Haider played two years varsity, hard to fault him knowing who he trains with. I think Fritsinger also trains with him and was at Bismarck recently. I don’t know what their goalie options are beyond him at the Grove. They lost 2 high end D to NTDP. So he isn’t their only loss.

Only 3 return to Team NW if that is the case. A lot of spots open.
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Heard that Ben Helgeson is going to Waterloo
Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
612hockeytown

Re: Haider to Magicians?

Post by 612hockeytown »

CakeScout17 wrote:Really? WHY?

Goalies don't really accelerate through too many programs do they? Especially MN goalies? Not being sarcastic - just asking.

Thats too bad as MG has good squad and uber talent coming this year and next. Also, starting G for the Magicians last year was stellar in 2nd half of the year, Isaiah Saville. Very strong. If he's back he will start 80% of the games and Haider sits? I don't think Saville is off to UNO until Fall 2019. Interesting...

Then again, unconfirmed word is G. Mackay made the Madison Capitols - so what do I know.
My daughter was a goalie that played Hs and College. I like to think I had a decent opinion both boys and girls from 20 years of rink watching. I just enjoy the high school game in general. My wife says I need a new hobby or pet.

Girls don’t have the options boys do in moving up. There is no junior hockey. Rule of thumb to many on the boys side was 2 years of hs and then move on if you are ready. I like the nahl. I brought my grand kids over for a few games past season. It’s a great bargain and they serve beer. The play compared to high school, was night and day. Much faster speed, more depth. I understand the “it’s a goalie league concept.” I’ve only been to a few USHL games in Sioux Falls (we need a team here, support might not be good enough though) and the play was a little more high end, but I can see why Stejskal is going to the NAHL after a season in the USHL.

Goalies moving up makes sense. If they are committed, they are most likely getting good intel and probably have a plan in place. Goalies (boys) don’t go to college from high school. They have to play 1-2 years of juniors. My daughter went from Hs to college and was fine as she didn’t start for two seasons. It’s just a different situation. Assuming Haider lives in Maple Grove still, I doubt he would billet? Win win for kid, parents and Magicians. I hope Fritsinger stays. High school hockey is going to lack the high end depth we had here last year.

The last two years hasn’t seen a lot of senior goalies get looked over. I think that’s why Enright and DiLaura left. Todd Scott left early, as did Ullan and Karki. There isn’t a lot of college committed goalies in Minnesota.

Saville is going to Tri City last I heard from a chaska parent.

Edit - I thought Haider was a senior. I guess he’s a young 01 :shock: good for him going outside his comfort zone.
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

pioneers wrote:Heard that Ben Helgeson is going to Waterloo
Heard that too. Big loss. Pierre is a bit young to take the reigns.
InThePipes

Re: Haider to Magicians?

Post by InThePipes »

[/quote]

Saville is going to Tri City last I heard from a chaska parent.

[/quote]

612, you're correct on that (and most everything else you posted), he was traded this summer:

Tri-City acquired goaltender Isaiah Saville and the 3rd overall pick in the 1st Round of the Phase I draft from Madison in exchange for the Storm’s 10th overall pick in the Phase II draft the following day, and the Storm’s 5th Round draft pick in the Phase I draft later that night.
kniven

Post by kniven »

612hockeytown wrote:
When are rosters announced? I’m dying to see team norths roster.....
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

kniven wrote:
612hockeytown wrote:
http://www.hselitehockey.com/news/2018- ... -announced

Lots of misses from the tryout list. Southwest STACKED. Frisch, Haider, Jutting, Helgeson out. Fritsinger, Glocker, Hanson, Mueller only returning goalies. Huge miss in Brennan Boynton from Champlin. Don’t even recognize 4 of the goalies :shock:

So many youngins.

[/img]
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hmm, pretty close for once
( And Stoy was reallocated to Team Northwest, and Pierce to GP)

WestMetro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:33 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Team North Roster Prediction

CEC: 5
HT : 4
GR : 2
DE : 6
DM: 2
Other
Last edited by WestMetro on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

612hockeytown wrote:
kniven wrote:
612hockeytown wrote: Heard that too. Big loss. Pierre is a bit young to take the reigns.
http://www.hselitehockey.com/news/2018- ... -announced

Lots of misses from the tryout list. Southwest STACKED. Frisch, Haider, Jutting, Helgeson out. Fritsinger, Glocker, Hanson, Mueller only returning goalies. Huge miss in Brennan Boynton from Champlin. Don’t even recognize 4 of the goalies :shock:

So many youngins.

[/img]
No Aaron Huglen? Is he doing before/after?