Braemar Summer Hockey Festival

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

northhockeyfan

Post by northhockeyfan » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:44 pm

I was able to see a couple games Saturday afternoon while in the metro for a wedding. Duluth East/BSM and Grand Rapids/Wayzata. Duluth looks like they are ready for the 7AA finals! They looked like they are beyond mid season form. Grand Rapids surprised me by only loosing to Wayzata 1-0. Looked like they got outshot by quite a bit but the Rapids team hung in there.

CakeScout17

Braemar Summer Showcase POV

Post by CakeScout17 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:15 pm

First and foremost it was a pleasure to make the acquaintance of WestMetro, KarlEast and yes, you too Knivsey! Glad you experienced Braemar for what it is - you should come down in-season for a Wild practice at the outdoor rink (although thats probs a distant memory).

Ok, saw 3 games Saturday and all 3 'playoff' games Sun including the Semi's and Finals.

Random thoughts including # of players 'out' for Elite League tryouts:

1st game I took in was Wyz/HF and was duly impressed with HF albeit tad weak on D and, at times, it appeared to be the 'Pinoniemi show'. HF was up 3-1 and Wayzata, in typical Wyz fashion, laid down the physicality and got in heads of HF and came back to win 4-3 (I believe)...good for them. Those darn Trojans. But grit is grit. (Wayzata had 'full roster' and HF was down 4 players)

2nd game was catching only the 2nd half of CEC/LVN game and very impressed w/ CEC. Fast, skilled and decent forecheck. They look to be entertaining no matter what happens w/ the future coach. Godspeed CEC! LVN...? Just not much juice - Im sure LVN will put together a good squad when season rolls around.

3rd game headed over to Braemar South for EP/EV...and this was not close at all - at least not the 1st half that I caught. Jensen looked good, but not by leaps and bounds versus last year...anybody know if he will do EL this Fall or is he on the 'before & after' train? (EP down, reportedly, 6 players for EL tryouts)

Sunday games:

1st tilt was DE / Wayzata and WOW! Just, wow. Wayzata hung tough in the grit dept and actually fought back a bit again and gave it their ALL! However, DE was IMPRESSIVE. They were FLYIN', forecheck, backcheck, poke-checks - you name the check? they deployed it. Just relentless Hounds... I mean they even change lines as if there is hot coals in their skates. Donovan was easy to spot as #7 for this tourney. RD? he's really on another level. Fun to watch. Again, Wyz battled - but this tilt was never in doubt. Very impressed with DE. To me, they are unquestionable top 3 heading into Thanksgiving wknd - probs #2 or #3? At least, at this point in time on Sunday...until...
(DE down 2 players and Wayzata was full roster).

2nd game was Andover / EP - fully expected this to be another war but I watched an absolute CLINIC. 8-1 final score. Systematic drilling of EP. Andover was of average size w/ a handful of 'small' players and I don't know if I've been more impressed with what they do with that size. Great speed, adept passing tape to tape and just a real flow to their game and to top it off? Those kids ALL bring some sand. You can tell these kids have grown up together and nobody leaving early or rushing their careers - and it's visibly paying off! Really tight look to them and very entertaining to watch - so much so that I smell a northwest suburb road trip out of Cakeville to catch a good matchup in Andover. (Andover down 3 players and EP down 6 for EL tryouts)

3rd game and most entertaining of the Showcase was the FINALS / CHAMP match between Andover and DE. Due to just having played EP and DE with an 1.5 hrs of rest - I thought DE's size/length advantage w/ extra rest would be the difference. Felt like a 5-3 game coming. Size differential in this game was very noticeable.

AND IT MATTERED NOT IN THE LEAST. It was 5-3 all right but NOT in DE favor!!!!

My jaw hit the floor at 3-0 Andover! 4-1 Andover! Just, wow!

Andover was FLYING and taking it right to DE! Zero fear. Again, having just played and taking on DE and matching their checks and hits w/ more precision passing & relentless speed left DE bewildered. Anybody inside Braemar West Sunday afternoon was beyond impressed. Unless, Im wrong I thought the final score was 5-3 as DE did get 2 late goals as maybe, just maybe, Andover tired a bit at the end. So, Andover outscored EP and DE a combined 13-4 Sunday in back 2 back games! (Andover down 3 kids, DE down 2 for EL tryouts).

Buckle up 'Sota - there's some new kids in town and they are the HUSKIES! They sniffed success last year and know are starving for more - I know its only July, missing kids here and there...but be forwarned that theres a pack of hungry Huskies on the prowl.

After absorbing these games and throwing a nickel on the table, for thats all this ranking is worth...but here is the 'CakeScout top 5' in late July;

1. Tonka
2. Andover
3. DE
4. Edina
5. CDH

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:09 am

Cake, great summary for someone who didn't attend. My two cents--Randolph is the happiest person in the state. The Bear trap--Husky trap has been set. GB

kniven

Re: Braemar Summer Showcase POV

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:33 am

It was nice to meet you too there cake man! It’s always nice to meet twin cities diehards like you and metro :)))!!

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:57 am

I noticed Fritzinger didnt play for Andover all weekend.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:33 am

Excellent analysis and writing CakeScout!! Karl may be calling you for ghostwriting help on his weekly report.

You and I shared many remarkably similar recollections of games and kids from the last few seasons . Are you sure you haven’t been hacking my weekly schedule?

Andover kids have been on a roll since Maddie Rooney era. Cause or effect?

Agree on CEC! Exciting and motivated kids!

See you at Bantam Elite League and New Hope

CakeScout17

Thank you

Post by CakeScout17 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:00 pm

Thanks fellas. Appreciate the feedback. I am nowhere near the hockey mind that Karl is and most definitely too verbose. However, its a blast to watch these games, follow the kids on their paths and eat some cake from time to time. Good to meet you guys last wknd - and no, Metro, no trolling on your weekly schedule.

Kind of combining threads here as I comment briefly (I promise) on the Fall Elite rosters. Looks like SW, North and SE are early favorites but watch those Andover kids although I see a few are split up. SW is loaded tho - at least w/ speed and skill. Cant wait to see the SW/North matchup. BUCKLE UP, BOYS!

Summer is summer...but ummm...IS IT FALL YET?

Drop. The. Puck.