Braemar Summer Hockey Festival

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

WestMetro

Braemar Summer Hockey Festival

Post by WestMetro »

July 20-22

Maybe Karl (or anyone else) could post the teams and pairings here.
kniven

Re: Braemar Summer Hockey Festival

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:July 20-22

I will be there. I do know CEC plays EP at 5 on Friday. I’ll post the schedule/brackets hopefully tomorrow:)))
kniven

Post by kniven »

kniven wrote:

I will be there. I do know CEC plays EP at 5 on Friday. I’ll post the schedule/brackets hopefully tomorrow:)))
SUMMER HOCKEY FESTIVAL TOURNAMENT 2018 VARSITY & J VARSITY
JULY 20, 21, & 22 • FRIDAY, SATURDAY & SUNDAY
TOURNAMENT FORMAT:
• All Varsity games played at Braemar Arena
All JV games played at Braemar Arena and Bloomington Ice Gardens
• Certified Athletic Trainer will be at all games
• High School Officials
• Tournament will be played in pool format
• Winners of each pool will advance to championship round
• Home teams will wear white
• Teams are responsible for providing their own jerseys (home and away)...I have a light and dark set if needed
• Games will consists of 2 - 22-1/2 minute stop time periods with 5 minute warm-up / JV 1 hour running time
• Water bottles are supplied by team manager
• Team managers or coaches are responsible to organize and coach team
• Each team must have at least 1 adult coach on the bench at all times
• Varsity Tournament based on 20 teams - JV Tournament based on 14 teams
• Each team guaranteed 3 games with possible 6 games (varsity)
• Tournament follows all High School League rules
• Any player removed for fighting is suspended for the remainder of the tournament
• Penalties 2 minute minor, 10 minute major
• Ties broken by goals against (head to head, then least amount of goals given up, goal differential for the entire tournament)
• 1 minute time out each game
• All participants play at their own risk (No insurance provided)
• Championship T-shirts Awarded to Champions
pioneers

Post by pioneers »

Pioneers 1983, 1991 and 2008 State Champions
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Thanks Pioneers!

Some of Best games ,before playoff round , include:

DE vs Blake : 5 pm Friday

Wayz HF : 10 am Sat

Lvn Cloq : 11. 30 am Sat

Andv EP : 6.30 Sat
kniven

Post by kniven »

Awesome! Thank you Peers 👍
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Some of the teams will be missing top players with HS Elite League tryouts Sunday. Some schools will have their players play Friday and Saturday but some wont and some other top 02's playing out east next weekend.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

minnscout wrote:Some of the teams will be missing top players with HS Elite League tryouts Sunday. Some schools will have their players play Friday and Saturday but some wont and some other top 02's playing out east next weekend.
A good reminder that these results do little to predict success this winter. Additionally, some teams will have seniors play this weekend who will unfortunately be cut come start of season.

Remember, STMA got smoked in this tournament last summer, and while they weren’t among the states “elite,” they did make the state tournament.
blueblood

Summer event

Post by blueblood »

HG62 - if summer results do little to predict future success, can you explain how Eastview made this finals last year of this tournament and followed that up with a 20+ win season and an appearance in the Section 3 finals, which they dominated over STA, but were stopped by Kelly's awesome performance in net?

And in the previous year, GR played in the finals and defeated a great Delano team and ended up as the AA champs?
Play Like a Champion Today
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

I'm making the trip down for the Saturday games. Obviously teams aren't running their normal lineups and the Elite League tryouts always affect things on Sunday in this tournament, but a capable observer can usually get a very good handle on most of the teams involved, and it has some predictive power. If you want a dose of HS hockey in summer and find Braemar preferable to the furnace outside in mid-July, taking in these games isn't a bad way to spend a part of a day.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Re: Summer event

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

blueblood wrote:HG62 - if summer results do little to predict future success, can you explain how Eastview made this finals last year of this tournament and followed that up with a 20+ win season and an appearance in the Section 3 finals, which they dominated over STA, but were stopped by Kelly's awesome performance in net?

And in the previous year, GR played in the finals and defeated a great Delano team and ended up as the AA champs?
There’s a good likelihood that those teams used pretty close to their eventual roster. Certainly a good chance to see some players and how they stack up against others. Not trashing the tournament in any way. Great opportunity for some bubble players to show their coaches what they’re made of as well. But if we can pick and choose examples of teams who did well in the summer and followed up with good seasons as well as teams who got either better or worse from summer to season, I wouldn’t put too much stock in it. I’d prefer to enjoy it as just some good summer hockey!
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote:I'm making the trip down for the Saturday games. Obviously teams aren't running their normal lineups and the Elite League tryouts always affect things on Sunday in this tournament, but a capable observer can usually get a very good handle on most of the teams involved, and it has some predictive power. If you want a dose of HS hockey in summer and find Braemar preferable to the furnace outside in mid-July, taking in these games isn't a bad way to spend a part of a day.
Agreed, KarlEast. I’m going to drive down for they day. This is foreign land for CEC hockey, that’s for sure.
HockeyonFire

Post by HockeyonFire »

I have hosted it the last two years it’s nice someone else will this year
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Kniven, you are playing in all the big venues this year!

As rosters are evolving/expected to evolve , at least one well known pundit has moved CEC out of lower top ten ten and into lower top 5.

But, no pressure !
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote:Kniven, you are playing in all the big venues this year!

As rosters are evolving/expected to evolve , at least one well known pundit has moved CEC out of lower top ten ten and into lower top 5.

But, no pressure !
Yeah. I've always liked the underdog. That is why I probably chose CEC hockey as my favorite in 2009-2010. I am just happy for the program. It's unfortunate that Esse can't enjoy the next several years from the bench. I hope he can enjoy it, nonetheless. Coach Smalley will do just fine =)

It will be interesting to see how the team handles the pressure. I know that I sure won't be able to handle the pressure! I'll probably go into hiding or something.....
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Handled pressure packed games against East last year . And I saw them beat
EP in front of a full house

Also ,kids handled playoff pressure well in two of recent Bantam States that I have seen. Good showing at Stillwater, and last spring at Mpls they kept very close to EP for 2 periods

This is their year!
kniven

Post by kniven »

I’ve never been to Braemar in Edina. Is it a pain in th butt arena? I’m to thrilled to be going to Metro Cakeville - but what do you do. I’ll probably need to carry a “throw up” bag around with me and diarrhea shorts under my pants
Duluthguy

Post by Duluthguy »

kniven wrote:I’ve never been to Braemar in Edina. Is it a pain in th butt arena? I’m to thrilled to be going to Metro Cakeville - but what do you do. I’ll probably need to carry a “throw up” bag around with me and diarrhea shorts under my pants
Pain in the butt? No, it's great. Big lobby leads to three rinks. The original rink is where the Hornets play and was the first in the Twin Cities, so all of the suburban teams played there until they got their own rinks, so lots of history. But it's well kept, and there's lots of seating. Also, lots of pictures of all of the former Hornet players who went to play college hockey, as well as pictures of the championship teams.

About the only bad thing I can say about the place is that they sell hummus at the concession stand--or at least they did last time I was there. No wonder the Hornets can't beat the Hounds! :)
kniven

Post by kniven »

Well that’s good. I’ve got 4 games to see for sure, then I’ll observe the others. Should be fun. 🤓
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

What's the difference between a porcupine and Braemar Arena?

:P
kniven

Post by kniven »

Slap Shot wrote:What's the difference between a porcupine and Braemar Arena?

I don’t know. What is the difference?

:P
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Braemar is one of the world’s great venues. It is amazing how well it has aged. Virtually unchanged and tradition-rich as a result.

Anyone that doesn’t recognize Braemar’s greatness is kidding themselves.

Some of the comments here are laughable.

Headed there now.
Be kind. Rewind.
kniven

Post by kniven »

O-townClown wrote:Braemar is one of the world’s great venues. It is amazing how well it has aged. Virtually unchanged and tradition-rich as a result.

Anyone that doesn’t recognize Braemar’s greatness is kidding themselves.

Some of the comments here are laughable.

Headed there now.
“A world great venue”. You need to get out more O-town 😮
Rocketwrister

Post by Rocketwrister »

who is behind bench for cloquet?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Rocketwrister wrote:who is behind bench for cloquet?
Shea Walters, Eric Hanson, and Jack Kuhlman this weekend will be. I’m not sure beyond that.