BHS HS Hockey Podcast Summer Edition....

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

BHS HS Hockey Podcast Summer Edition....

Post by kniven » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:21 pm

KarlEast and his twin brothers talking puck 👍

http://bit.ly/2JIuLV5

Ps. Works best when listened to via the “Podbean” app....

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:40 pm

Good show!

Funniest line:

Danny : my palm reader says to lose weight
Karl: and what he’s not telling you- that was his date!

Top ten:

disagree with HF at 8th. To me , competing with others for a 11th-15th spot

Chaska instead should get the early 10th slot, although still some things to prove there also

Cloquet has upside , if new coach can pull everything together . 7AA top three as good or better as 2AA or 6AA top 3

Tonka will lose a few more games than last year

kniven

Post by kniven » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Cloquet/Esko/Carlton was not looked at seriously last year because of the coaching situation. CEC will be overlooked again this year and the next 2 years after that. If Esse would have never resigned, it would be an interely different story. Perception is everything. A great CEO with stabile, success encourages investment and forecasts of that company’s stock. Replace the CEO every year, see what that does to the stock and futures trading.

If high school hockey we’re bet in Vegas, Vegas would have no room for CEC. I don’t blame the critics.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:36 pm

I have to agree with your thoughts a bit more than the podcast crews on this, WM. Though, it is summer and they’re quite upfront admitting a lot can and likely will change. Without re-listening, my big thoughts were:

Tonka: Will have Little drop off on D, but they won last year because they had three GREAT lines and a very good 4th. They still have perhaps the best top line in the state, but I’m not convinced their summer recruits will do enough to replace their level of depth from last year. Sounds like Brink is staying but I wouldn’t use a permanent marker on his name in the line up until the season starts.

EP: Slightly higher than I expected they’d have them, but can’t disagree with putting them somewhere in the top ten assuming Jensen stays (see comment above on Brink). Big ? at goalie.

HF: Barring more summer recruits, I just don’t see it. Will have a very good back end at goal and top few D, but only one great scorer, who last year had the benefit of Almquist on his line. They lost a lot of their scoring from last year. Of course, they do have a lot of experience in making deep section runs, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they beat some teams in playoffs.

Cloquet: Maybe these kids are used to new coaches at this point? I see them as a top 5 team come sections which would put 3 of the top 5 in 7AA.

Chaska: Unproven so it makes sense they’re not listed. However, they did beat EP and return way more (basically all) of their scoring, plus deep goaltending. Seems to me EP and Chaska will be in a battle for 2 seed in 2AA, so it’s a little tough to imagine EP in top 10 and not them.

Love the Hill Murray pick. Very winnable section.

People seem to be buying more stock from BSM and Blake, but I still think they’re being undervalued by many.

I just wish we’d have some games under our belts so Happy could release his rankings! :lol:

YouthHockeyHub

Post by YouthHockeyHub » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:23 pm

First of all, thanks Ken for posting show here. Was hoping to meet you this weekend, that never materialized.

Had some family commitments this weekend which only allowed a few hours each day Friday and Saturday at Braemar (and a podcast).

I like our top 4 a lot.

We battled over Cloquet and Chaska Saturday night pre-show, so it is funny that the battle continues on on the message board!

Now onto the second half of the off-season which includes Elite League, Tier 1, Red/Black, et al. to gives us a taste of what is to come.

FWIW, get a sharpie out on Brink.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:11 am

During the discussion about players transferring multiple times, I thought for sure that Troy Riddle was going to be mentioned. I believe he played two years for Edison, one for Minnehaha Academy, and finished up with two at BSM. Riddle was certainly no slouch as a player, but he accumulated some huge scoring stats out of pure longevity.

SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:46 am

Stang5280 wrote:During the discussion about players transferring multiple times, I thought for sure that Troy Riddle was going to be mentioned. I believe he played two years for Edison, one for Minnehaha Academy, and finished up with two at BSM. Riddle was certainly no slouch as a player, but he accumulated some huge scoring stats out of pure longevity.
I think I knew that but to be completely honest I forgot about that when I was doing the show prep but FOR SURE that is definitely a huge Russel Wilson move there.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:26 pm

YouthHockeyHub wrote:First of all, thanks Ken for posting show here. Was hoping to meet you this weekend, that never materialized.

Had some family commitments this weekend which only allowed a few hours each day Friday and Saturday at Braemar (and a podcast).

I like our top 4 a lot.

We battled over Cloquet and Chaska Saturday night pre-show, so it is funny that the battle continues on on the message board!

Now onto the second half of the off-season which includes Elite League, Tier 1, Red/Black, et al. to gives us a taste of what is to come.

FWIW, get a sharpie out on Brink.
No problem! It’s always fun to listen. 👏

karl(east)

Post by karl(east) » Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:43 pm

Another notable transfer that we didn't touch on during the podcast but bears mentioning, as I was reminded by a listener, is Tristan Birdsall from Hibbing to Greenway. He helps fill the gap left by Greenway's handful of graduations and should ensure they have two good lines again. Maybe enough to be a difference-maker in 7A? Time will tell.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:31 pm

karl(east) wrote:Another notable transfer that we didn't touch on during the podcast but bears mentioning, as I was reminded by a listener, is Tristan Birdsall from Hibbing to Greenway. He helps fill the gap left by Greenway's handful of graduations and should ensure they have two good lines again. Maybe enough to be a difference-maker in 7A? Time will tell.
Oly cow!! What’s happened to Hibbing hockey. They can’t keep anybody anymore. Sad indeed....

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:58 am

karl(east) wrote:Another notable transfer that we didn't touch on during the podcast but bears mentioning, as I was reminded by a listener, is Tristan Birdsall from Hibbing to Greenway. He helps fill the gap left by Greenway's handful of graduations and should ensure they have two good lines again. Maybe enough to be a difference-maker in 7A? Time will tell.
Also Micah Gernander, although I don’t think he is a transfer in the normal sense. Greenway’s first two lines will most likely be better than last year’s. The defense should be solid. However, the weakest position is goalie. Without a good goalie I can’t see them beating Hermantown in the Section. Hyuttinen’s appeal was denied and he will be trying out for Bismarck of the NAHL. It also makes them more vulnerable for an upset. With that brutal schedule they will be hard pressed to match last year’s 18-7 record.

ironranger2

Post by ironranger2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:47 am

If Greenway doesn't find a goalie, it will be Virginia playing Hermantown in the section final.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 am

kniven wrote:Cloquet/Esko/Carlton was not looked at seriously last year because of the coaching situation. CEC will be overlooked again this year and the next 2 years after that. If Esse would have never resigned, it would be an interely different story. Perception is everything. A great CEO with stabile, success encourages investment and forecasts of that company’s stock. Replace the CEO every year, see what that does to the stock and futures trading.

If high school hockey we’re bet in Vegas, Vegas would have no room for CEC. I don’t blame the critics.
I don't understand how you think if Esse would of stayed it would of been a different story. It would of been the same old defensive minded hockey, Smalley at least, let the kids open it up and use their speed and skill.

CEC is not over looked; my goodness this group won in youth hockey for years. Everyone knows what type of talent they have.

In grand scheme of things, I doubt anything of changed...another year and again NO section championship let a lone 10 years (or is it 11) that CEC hasn't made it to the section final?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:22 pm

ironranger2 wrote:If Greenway doesn't find a goalie, it will be Virginia playing Hermantown in the section final.
Still think it will be Greenway/Hermantown even with the current goalie. I have a feeling Clafton will find a goalie. He is one competitive guy.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:25 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
ironranger2 wrote:If Greenway doesn't find a goalie, it will be Virginia playing Hermantown in the section final.
Still think it will be Greenway/Hermantown even with the current goalie. I have a feeling Clafton will find a goalie. He is one competitive guy.
How do you find a goalie. You can recruit a goalie.....but find?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:21 pm

Before you recruit someone you have to find them first.🙂

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:05 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:Tonka: Will have Little drop off on D, but they won last year because they had three GREAT lines and a very good 4th. They still have perhaps the best top line in the state, but I’m not convinced their summer recruits will do enough to replace their level of depth from last year. Sounds like Brink is staying but I wouldn’t use a permanent marker on his name in the line up until the season starts.
Keep in mind that the Tonka JV playing the same schedule as the varsity lost 3 games last year and I believe the Bantam AA, Jr. Gold A and B teams made the state tournament. It would seem there's plenty of talent there to pick from.

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:51 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:Tonka: Will have Little drop off on D, but they won last year because they had three GREAT lines and a very good 4th. They still have perhaps the best top line in the state, but I’m not convinced their summer recruits will do enough to replace their level of depth from last year. Sounds like Brink is staying but I wouldn’t use a permanent marker on his name in the line up until the season starts.
Keep in mind that the Tonka JV playing the same schedule as the varsity lost 3 games last year and I believe the Bantam AA, Jr. Gold A and B teams made the state tournament. It would seem there's plenty of talent there to pick from.
Tonka JV was EXTREMELY good, and had an elite D in Zitzloff who will transition very well to varsity this year. Two very solid goalies in Glockner and Howe as well. But forward-wise, though there will be plenty of competition, theyll struggle to find as phenomenal depth as last year. JV to varsity is a massive difference, JG (though some definite great players at big schools like Tonka, Edina, and Wayzata) will not realistic push for varsity spots. Bantam AA turned it on in playoffs but had a marginal year as a whole. They have one, maybe two players who will have an impactful varsity minutes this year.

I think they are rightfully a top 4 team without a doubt. Quite possibly even better and I won’t be shocked if they repeat. I just think realistically there is a lot of senior offense to make up for. Their 3rd line was so good because while they had offensive potential, they were seniors who embraced their role as shut down defenders. Tough sell for sophomores and juniors who are seeing their first varsity action.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:05 pm

I think Tonka JV shutout Edina 1-0 at Braemar in final game, or close to final game , of regular season , with Howe in goal I recall