Alaska goalie transfering to Edina

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

warmskin

Alaska goalie transfering to Edina

Post by warmskin »

Has anybody heard about a high school junior from Alaska transfering to Edina? This is at least the 3rd year in a row an outstate player has transfered to Edina.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Crowded net! I know there is one from Nashville whose Elite Prospects page also shows some time in Colorado.
Be kind. Rewind.
612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown »

Who were the other transfers the last two years? Koumontzis was originally an Edina kid right?
green4

Post by green4 »

612hockeytown wrote:Who were the other transfers the last two years? Koumontzis was originally an Edina kid right?
Yeah I’m blanking on who the other one the poster is referring to, but Koumontzis played more years in Edina than he did in Arizona so I’m not sure that is a great example.
I have not heard anything about this new goalie either for that matter, but I’m not as in the loop as I once was
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Yes, there is a new HS goalie at Edina
Doc Holliday

Post by Doc Holliday »

Kind of interesting, but at least in my opinion, during the past 10-15 years, Edina really hasn't had some show stopper in net.

Come to think about it, they kind of rarely have. Carroll the last one? Bertram? The kid who played Jr. Gold who went to Mercyhurst? :D
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I'd say that Willie Benjamin was a very good high school goalie and was a major reason for a state championship for the Hornets....can't think of too many others before Carroll. GB
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

DK technically was a 'transfer' although played his youth years in Edina through 1st year bantams...then gone for 2 I believe then senior year, 2017-18 at Edina. His junior year was on the shelf w back injury in ARZ.

2016-17 was a transfer from North Carolina (?) Christian Roble. Was supposed to be a W I believe but then moved to D but neither panned out well for him. Then about mid-Feb, 2017 it was announced he left the squad/school. Pretty hush-hush situation. Bagel in, Bagel out. Godspeed CR.

No clue on new goalie transfer!?!?!?! For a split second Isiah Saville popped into my head...I know - a pipe dream and Tri-City - but outside of that truly no clue. Well, it will be interesting.

2 kids that 'were' next up were Jack Wolfe (sr.) and Ramsey Bell (jr.)...neither are dynamic but Id lean toward Wolfe for this season. Bell was decent in limited play early last year but maybe almost too polar opposite of high-strung nervousness of McKay...Bell seemed too lax, esp during mop-up duty vs. STLP as he leaned on the net and finished off his water bottle and a shot from the red line zinged past him albeit a disallowed goal due to offisides from STLP!
Wolfe bit more balanced, better concentration. The real 'potential' goalie talent is in the Bantam & PW ranks.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

GB and Cake

Lets not forget the often underrated Andrew Rohkowl, who took Edina to the state title in 2013-14 I think, winning all three games at the X

I recall a game in his junior year shortly after taking over from Benjamin due to injury, a tremendous epic up and down the ice very close goaltending battle with Hill Murray at Braemar in January which eventually ended in an overtime loss with a score of 1-0 or 2-1 I think. After that, I didnt need any more convincing on Rohkowl.

I think he later played in NAHL and is presently getting some ice time at St Thomas University.
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

Yes sir, WM!

Ol Andrew Rohkohl...nearly a complete opposite goalie in size and style to Willie B but terrific playoff run as Willie B had year previously. Good runs for both of them and/or some good position coaching by Beaupre back then surely didnt hurt.

Following AR the next next year I believe was Enriquez who filled in admirably but that Malmquist injury really hurt that teams lines and heart & soul. And DE and LVN that year were just superior. But that Hornet '13-'14 team? WOW. Just special. Once a decade team I think...Skill, grit, coaching. Whole meal deal.

Is it turkey trot weekend yet?

HA
thefatcat

Post by thefatcat »

CakeScout17 wrote:DK technically was a 'transfer' although played his youth years in Edina through 1st year bantams...then gone for 2 I believe then senior year, 2017-18 at Edina. His junior year was on the shelf w back injury in ARZ.

2016-17 was a transfer from North Carolina (?) Christian Roble. Was supposed to be a W I believe but then moved to D but neither panned out well for him. Then about mid-Feb, 2017 it was announced he left the squad/school. Pretty hush-hush situation. Bagel in, Bagel out. Godspeed CR.

No clue on new goalie transfer!?!?!?! For a split second Isiah Saville popped into my head...I know - a pipe dream and Tri-City - but outside of that truly no clue. Well, it will be interesting.

2 kids that 'were' next up were Jack Wolfe (sr.) and Ramsey Bell (jr.)...neither are dynamic but Id lean toward Wolfe for this season. Bell was decent in limited play early last year but maybe almost too polar opposite of high-strung nervousness of McKay...Bell seemed too lax, esp during mop-up duty vs. STLP as he leaned on the net and finished off his water bottle and a shot from the red line zinged past him albeit a disallowed goal due to offisides from STLP!
Wolfe bit more balanced, better concentration. The real 'potential' goalie talent is in the Bantam & PW ranks.

Their BAA goalie last season is pretty good with a decent D core in front of him but is not going to steal games. You'll have to enlighten us about the PW goalies because none stick out in my head (not that it says much). For some reason Edina just doesn't produce goalies.
green4

Post by green4 »

CakeScout17 wrote:Yes sir, WM!

Ol Andrew Rohkohl...nearly a complete opposite goalie in size and style to Willie B but terrific playoff run as Willie B had year previously. Good runs for both of them and/or some good position coaching by Beaupre back then surely didnt hurt.

Following AR the next next year I believe was Enriquez who filled in admirably but that Malmquist injury really hurt that teams lines and heart & soul. And DE and LVN that year were just superior. But that Hornet '13-'14 team? WOW. Just special. Once a decade team I think...Skill, grit, coaching. Whole meal deal.

Is it turkey trot weekend yet?

HA
The goalie after Rohkohl was Kobi Boe, Enriquez was the backup
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

Yes, thats right Kobi Boe. I always had Enriquez stick out in my mind as s a 2-year backup? When he did play I thought he was every bit as good as the other options...rumblings around the 'Mar seemed to refer to quite a bit of politics. But Boe was decent.

There is reportedly some lights at end of tunnel reaching down into 1st year Bantams and into PW ranks... Bantam goalie Robbie Clarkowski is one to watch develop and newly appointed to the Bantam Elite Major league is G Liam Sibek. Also, albeit small in stature, but already possessing a great glove and is as acrobatic as they come the PW goalie on the scene is Evan Smolik - he's fun to watch and teammates love him. So there's a group of 3 worth keeping an eye on! That's Clarkowski, Sibek and Smolik. Time will tell - then again, goalies are a funky bunch!

No doubt its hard to find the true star goalie at Edina...of course it is - everybody wants to score and show off their speed.
HockeyonFire

Re: Alaska goalie transfering to Edina

Post by HockeyonFire »

warmskin wrote:Has anybody heard about a high school junior from Alaska transfering to Edina? This is at least the 3rd year in a row an outstate player has transfered to Edina.
Public schools obviously recruit. Minnetonka and Edina doing everything they can this offseason.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

HockeyonFire wrote:Public schools obviously recruit. Minnetonka and Edina doing everything they can this offseason.
I think it is fair to say they attract players. Recruit?

to engage in finding and attracting employees, new members, students, athletes, etc.

Seems that a school is being reactive when a person inquires about moving into the community by answering some pretty standard questions.

Wayzata had a kid from Texas at the summer tournament a week ago. Is that "doing everything they can"?

Edina is without Brinkman & Dexheimer, both HS-age and students last school year. Is that "doing everything they can"?

Holy Family has more new students for next year's Boys Hockey Varsity than Wayzata, Edina & Minnetonka combined. Benilde too. Nothing sinister here. That's the nature of private schools. General students and athletes.
Be kind. Rewind.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

HockeyonFire wrote:
warmskin wrote:Has anybody heard about a high school junior from Alaska transfering to Edina? This is at least the 3rd year in a row an outstate player has transfered to Edina.
Public schools obviously recruit. Minnetonka and Edina doing everything they can this offseason.
Minnetonka had 1 player on the roster last season that didn't grow up in the district? Next year one is coming back from a private school but never left the district and Motzko moved into the area and just happened to crazily bring his son along. That's hardly the result of recruiting.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

Holy Family guy is just trying trying to get us going. He knows very well that families choose towns like Minnetonka or Edina based on quality of the schools, geographic location, housing options and yes great sports. These towns typically don't have to recruit.

He also knows no one recruits harder, longer and makes more "promises" than his school.

My biggest dilemma this year will be what if that Litchfield/Dassel-Cokato versus Holy Family game falls on the same night as Edina versus Tonka...Which one will I go to?
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

Slap Shot wrote:
HockeyonFire wrote:
Minnetonka had 1 player on the roster last season that didn't grow up in the district? Next year one is coming back from a private school but never left the district and Motzko moved into the area and just happened to crazily bring his son along. That's hardly the result of recruiting.
This is understating it a bit for Minnetonka (several players from last years team open enrolled to Tonka in peewees and bantams, the Motzko’s moving to the area wasn’t just “chance” and the school district actively recruits students of all shapes and sizes for open enrollment). However, not all of this is hockey related and almost none of it is initiated by the Skipper coaching staff. Holy Family accusing others of recruiting is the most laughable case of a pot calling the kettle black we’ve seen yet. They go above and beyond even other private schools in the state.
arcticpurple

Post by arcticpurple »

back to the original question..99% certain Edina is not getting a goalie transfer from AK.
Last edited by arcticpurple on Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
formersection3Afan

Post by formersection3Afan »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:09 pm
HockeyonFire wrote:
Slap, what this ONE player a skater or goalie?