8AA 2018-2019 seaso

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 am

Section 8 guy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Some tough calls but here goes.

1) Moorhead - Deep up front and goaltending should be a strength. Took Bantam state championship game to 2OTs.. Tough schedule.
2). Brainerd - Strong senior class and solid nucleus back from a good team. Could this be their year?
3) Roseau. Huglen will be a handful at the high school level and some nice parts to a supporting cast. Will be a factor.
4) Buffalo. Junior class made a lot of noise in Bantams but with a fairly short bench. Braccini(s?) will also be a handful. Solid goaltending. Could they climb into the top 3?
5) STMA. Flammang and Laylin will be a great duo and will carry a lot of water. Just not sure there’s enough else to get any higher.
6) St Cloud. Seems like they have enough back to avoid dropping into the bottom two.
7) Bemidji. Not much scoring back and will probably have to adjust a bit style wise without Fitzgerald back there. May be selling them short a bit.
8.) Rogers. A departure or two along the way haven’t helped.
Bemidji has two new players move in to the District. They are projected as 1st and 2nd liners.
Goal tending will not be as good as last year but will be more than adequate.

Section 8 guy
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Section 8 guy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:20 am

Good insights Elliott. Thanks. I probably have them lower than they should be.

Goose21
Posts: 203
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:31 am

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Goose21 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:13 am

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:55 am
Section 8 guy wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:52 pm
Some tough calls but here goes.

1) Moorhead - Deep up front and goaltending should be a strength. Took Bantam state championship game to 2OTs.. Tough schedule.
2). Brainerd - Strong senior class and solid nucleus back from a good team. Could this be their year?
3) Roseau. Huglen will be a handful at the high school level and some nice parts to a supporting cast. Will be a factor.
4) Buffalo. Junior class made a lot of noise in Bantams but with a fairly short bench. Braccini(s?) will also be a handful. Solid goaltending. Could they climb into the top 3?
5) STMA. Flammang and Laylin will be a great duo and will carry a lot of water. Just not sure there’s enough else to get any higher.
6) St Cloud. Seems like they have enough back to avoid dropping into the bottom two.
7) Bemidji. Not much scoring back and will probably have to adjust a bit style wise without Fitzgerald back there. May be selling them short a bit.
8.) Rogers. A departure or two along the way haven’t helped.
Bemidji has two new players move in to the District. They are projected as 1st and 2nd liners.
Goal tending will not be as good as last year but will be more than adequate.
Bemidji returns 6 Fs from the top 3 lines, while adding the two move-ins. Although, the forwards that did graduate were first and second liners.
They only return 2 defensemen, but they were two of the better ones from last years team and should see an upgrade in the D core from Bantams and younger players moving up.
The biggest loss and question mark will be in goal, replacing a 3 year starter and one of the better goalies in state. Senior leadership might be missed as well as a few were a part of the state team a few years ago. Ultimately, Bemidji is an opt-up who will likely be closer to competing for a home playoff game than a section title.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck

Section 8 guy
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Section 8 guy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Good local knowledge Goose. Great in depth stuff. Anyone have any in depth knowledge on Rogers, St Cloud, Moorhead or Brainerd?

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:45 pm

How is a "seaso" comparable to a season? I'm asking for a friend. . .
The U invented swagger.

Goldy Gopher
Posts: 2475
Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Miami, FL

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Goldy Gopher » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Section 8 guy wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:11 pm
Good local knowledge Goose. Great in depth stuff. Anyone have any in depth knowledge on Rogers, St Cloud, Moorhead or Brainerd?
As self-proclaimed "Section 8 guy," shouldn't we be asking you?
The U invented swagger.

Section 8 guy
Posts: 530
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:04 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Section 8 guy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:09 am

Do you have anything of value to add to the site or did mom take away your X Box and you got bored?

Cobber
Posts: 79
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:09 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Cobber » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:56 am

Should be an exciting year.
My predictions
1. Moorhead (2nd in state as bantams and they play defense first which usually win at tourney time
2.Brainerd ( Seniors are hard to beat. Much like STMA last year.
3. Buffalo ( Might be a year away but the junior class was very good at bantams)
4. STMA ( Did lose quite a few kids but once you have been to the big show it makes a difference.
5.St. Cloud ( Lost some seniors but have some returning could be a dark horse.
6. Roseau ( Maybe a dark horse also if one player can carry a team.
7. Bemidji ( Unknown
8. Rogers ( what can I say

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am

Boy people will be surprised when the state champ comes from this section

O-townClown
Posts: 3998
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by O-townClown » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:29 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am
Boy people will be surprised when the state champ comes from this section
Considering the traction at many of the private schools in the Twin Cities and the engines at mega youth associations like Maple Grove feeding a few metro HS teams, yes. Love the variety and it is never easy to win it all, but that's a bold prediction for Section 8 to win at AA in the coming years!
Be kind. Rewind.

blueblood
Posts: 2444
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 am

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by blueblood » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:14 pm

Bold prediction by eliott70! AA Champ more likely to come from Section 2,6 or 7 this year.
Play Like a Champion Today

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:43 am

Moorhead started the season with taking highly ranked Andover to OT.
I am feeling more confident all the time.

7TIMECHAMPS
Posts: 213
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:58 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:13 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:43 am
Moorhead started the season with taking highly ranked Andover to OT.
I am feeling more confident all the time.
Was anybody at this game that can provide some perspective? The shots ended 43-27 according to the hub. Was this roughly indicitive of play? I am assuming the new Moorhead goalie played well?

Stang5280
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:29 pm

Games between 8AA teams this week:

Tuesday 11-27
Moorhead at Brainerd

Thursday 11-29
Bemidji at Brainerd

Saturday 12-1
Buffalo at Moorhead

Big first week for the Warriors!

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm

Moorhead makes an early statement with 5-1 win over Brainerd.

kniven
Posts: 2953
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Duluth area

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by kniven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:32 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:31 pm
Moorhead makes an early statement with 5-1 win over Brainerd.

Wow!!
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

Stang5280
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am
Boy people will be surprised when the state champ comes from this section
Combined with the Jacks dispatching Warroad rather easily, that Thursday game is shaping up to be very interesting.

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am
Boy people will be surprised when the state champ comes from this section
Combined with the Jacks dispatching Warroad rather easily, that Thursday game is shaping up to be very interesting.
Bemidji 1 2 lines looked really good as did the 5 dman.
3rd line gave up little and G Waldhausen was more than solid.

Bemidji - Brainerd game should be telling, but the Jacks will be in the battle for home ice come playoff - long ways to go though.

Stang5280
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:36 am

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:03 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm
elliott70 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:20 am
Boy people will be surprised when the state champ comes from this section
Combined with the Jacks dispatching Warroad rather easily, that Thursday game is shaping up to be very interesting.
Bemidji 1 2 lines looked really good as did the 5 dman.
3rd line gave up little and G Waldhausen was more than solid.

Bemidji - Brainerd game should be telling, but the Jacks will be in the battle for home ice come playoff - long ways to go though.
I’m not sure how I ended up quoting your earlier post about the state champs, I meant to quote the Bemidji final from last night. In any event, thanks for your analysis of the Warroad game and Thursday should be a good one.

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 pm

Be good to hear from Rogers and Buffalo people
On those teams.

Stang5280
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:43 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:40 pm
Be good to hear from Rogers and Buffalo people
On those teams.
I’m probably the closest thing to a Buffalo fan on this board, which is pretty sad given that my connections are: a) my parents live in the district; and b) a friend teaches at BHS and has a son in the youth system.

Apparently the preseason hype around town was nearly unbearable, but it looks like the same old song and dance with the Bison unable to compete with the top teams and hoping for a section semi appearance. Even with essentially the whole team back, there just doesn’t seem to be enough depth after the top line.

spudnik
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:26 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by spudnik » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:26 am

I would concur with that assessment of Buffalo. They simply couldn't hang with a Moorhead team that is not nearly as good as it has been in the past. That said, the Spuds looked much better against Bemidji tonight and have a pretty good shot at the section if the new goalies continue to be good and the 2nd-4th lines can produce. Game-winner tonight was from the 3rd line against Bemidji's top group.

TheNightman
Posts: 560
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by TheNightman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:30 am

Moorhead is better than expected but I still think the Brainerd Fightin' Andreses pull it out.

elliott70
Posts: 13590
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by elliott70 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 am

Definitely two horse race with Moorhead and Brainerd.

Buffalo is the dark horse at this point.

Roseau probably the 4 seed with StMA challenging for that.

Not sure of St Cloud,
Bemidji needs to find some scoring to challenge for the 4th seed
Rogers has started the season well.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2649
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: 8AA 2018-2019 seaso

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:33 am

TheNightman wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:30 am
Moorhead is better than expected but I still think the Brainerd Fightin' Andreses pull it out.
I would like to join that bandwagon Elliot but I think the Worriors will struggle to find consistency. At 2-3 can the Aus rally the boys
to the Saintly city?
Placing a sell on my Worrior stock [-X

Post Reply