7A - Thoughts

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Upfan111

Re: 7A - Thoughts

Post by Upfan111 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 pm

Boring? Huh, wonder why

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:04 am

Upfan111 wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 pm
Boring? Huh, wonder why
Exactly 🤓
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 am

What is the report on Eveleth-Gilbert?
Such a rich history, hall of fame location, Hippodrome....
Is WT only impact player?
Will they contend with GW or HT this upcoming. Season? Why or why not?

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:38 am

E-G should compete with Greenway. They might very well split their two games. They might have a psychological hurdle as Greenway has put them in running time the last four games. Don’t see anyone in 7A competing with Hermantown.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 pm

Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.
Rumor no more. Scott Pionk has came back home to be an assistant coach on the Proctor bench this year.

What kind of team they have over in Proctor this year cause their bench is now the best bench in 7A. I bet they keep all their players now going forward as well and attract transfer/move in as well.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:01 am

kniven wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 pm
Rumor around Duluth is that there will be a very big addition to the Coaching Staff in Proctor this year. The Rails look to be a program on the rise.
Rumor no more. Scott Pionk has came back home to be an assistant coach on the Proctor bench this year.

What kind of team they have over in Proctor this year cause their bench is now the best bench in 7A. I bet they keep all their players now going forward as well and attract transfer/move in as well.
The Rails return their top 4 forwards and 3 of their top 4 defenseman from a year ago. Their first line led by Ben Harnell will be very talented and can score. Second line should be solid. They have a few good players with size coming up from Bantams that will contribute but will probably take some time to adjust to the High School game. They have arguably the top Sophomore goalie in the area and a Senior with experience as well.

Depth after the top two lines will be a question mark. My guess is they would be #5 in 7A for a Pre-Season rank.

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:01 am
kniven wrote:

The Rails return their top 4 forwards and 3 of their top 4 defenseman from a year ago. Their first line led by Ben Harnell will be very talented and can score. Second line should be solid. They have a few good players with size coming up from Bantams that will contribute but will probably take some time to adjust to the High School game. They have arguably the top Sophomore goalie in the area and a Senior with experience as well.

Depth after the top two lines will be a question mark. My guess is they would be #5 in 7A for a Pre-Season rank.
I’m a Huge, huge fan of Tanner Olson. He’s a defenseman coming up in that Bantam class. Big, strong, athletic, and can play hockey well too. I’m looking forward to seeing Proctor in Cloquet the first game of the year. And the Rails are my favorite A program in the state of hockey 👍

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:07 pm

kniven wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:20 am
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:01 am
kniven wrote:

I’m a Huge, huge fan of Tanner Olson. He’s a defenseman coming up in that Bantam class. Big, strong, athletic, and can play hockey well too. I’m looking forward to seeing Proctor in Cloquet the first game of the year. And the Rails are my favorite A program in the state of hockey 👍
I saw him play against East in the Bantam Districts last year. That kid’s a beast with a canon for a shot. One of the Dad’s told me that Baseball is his #1 sport so he doesn’t play any offseason Hockey. I suspect that we would have heard a lot more about him if he did.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:47 pm

Little Falls with a 9-2 beatdown of Virginia. Flyers that good or Devils that bad? Stay tuned...

IRMN

Post by IRMN » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm

A 9-2 beatdown in Virginia against a depleted lineup....yeah stay tuned. Little Falls is predicted to be a top 10 team all year. Virginia lost 17 seniors. They have 5 seniors this year. They also have multiple players out right now due to various situations. What you saw today was not Virginia’s true lineup. They lost a lot of talent but they always seem to put a respectable product on the Ice. Stay tuned I guess.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:07 am

IRMN wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:29 pm
A 9-2 beatdown in Virginia against a depleted lineup....yeah stay tuned. Little Falls is predicted to be a top 10 team all year. Virginia lost 17 seniors. They have 5 seniors this year. They also have multiple players out right now due to various situations. What you saw today was not Virginia’s true lineup. They lost a lot of talent but they always seem to put a respectable product on the Ice. Stay tuned I guess.
Good to hear. Virginia did lose a ton, but I thought they'd still have a shot to be in the top 4 mix, jockeying with Denfeld and Eveleth, maybe even a chance to beat Greenway, depending on how good the Raiders end up being.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:32 am

IRMN,

Will Virginia have any players back for tonight's Greenway game? Hopefully they will so it can be a good game. Then again, I guess I wouldn't mind Virginia still being shorthanded for Friday's game vs Hibbing. :D

Not sure what to expect from Hibbing this year. Extremely young team, but hopefully the juniors that saw a ton of ice as sophomores last year will make a nice jump. Appears they also have a foreign exchange student in nets this year. Maybe he can be the next Westerholm, who was a treat to watch.

Be nice to see them get into the top 5 and maybe put a scare into a Denfeld or Eveleth. At some point this coach has to show he can get his players to exceed expectations. We'll see...

Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:49 pm

As I sit watching the game on my9 I was wondering if anyone knew this stat for the Hawks. How many of the Hawks players started in Hermantown youth hockey from mites and are on the varsity. Not stirring the pot but just curious, we all know the Hawks get a ton of move ins.

Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:32 am
IRMN,

Will Virginia have any players back for tonight's Greenway game? Hopefully they will so it can be a good game. Then again, I guess I wouldn't mind Virginia still being shorthanded for Friday's game vs Hibbing. :D

Not sure what to expect from Hibbing this year. Extremely young team, but hopefully the juniors that saw a ton of ice as sophomores last year will make a nice jump. Appears they also have a foreign exchange student in nets this year. Maybe he can be the next Westerholm, who was a treat to watch.

Be nice to see them get into the top 5 and maybe put a scare into a Denfeld or Eveleth. At some point this coach has to show he can get his players to exceed expectations. We'll see...
I hope Virginia can become a top team; would be good for section 7A. As for the comment about "this coach" why do you say that? Larson didn't get the team or players to exceed expectations.

Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm

Sad to see Virginia struggle while the kid they voted in their captain last year is on Hermantown first line. Can't help to think it would have helped to have him stay and try to lead his old team.

IRMN

Post by IRMN » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:37 am

Virginia looked to have Okland back last night but that's about it. Virginia will be young and thin and can't really afford to have people out of the lineup. Man, if they only had one more dynamic player to bring some skill to the front and lead this younger group...but that kid is now playing first line in Hermantown. Whatever, not here to make excuses. Virginia is going to have their work cut out for them. MOST programs have to rebuild at some point right?

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:29 am

Upfan111 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 pm
rainier2 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:32 am
IRMN,

I hope Virginia can become a top team; would be good for section 7A. As for the comment about "this coach" why do you say that? Larson didn't get the team or players to exceed expectations.
Sorry, as I rambled on I started talking about Hibbing, so my comment was about the Hibbing coach.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:55 am

Thunderstruck wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm
Sad to see Virginia struggle while the kid they voted in their captain last year is on Hermantown first line. Can't help to think it would have helped to have him stay and try to lead his old team.
How else would he have gotten "noticed"? Everyone knows no hs player north of the line from Duluth to Moorhead ever gets noticed and gets a D1 scholarship unless they move to a city program that goes to state 9 out of every 10 years. Oshie, Nelson, Jaycox, Yon, Strand, Gothberg, Bushy, Bittner, Lyon, Brand, Miller, Stejskal, McLaughlin, Hain, Shepard, Adams, Bischoff, Peterson, Perunovich, Johnson, DeCenzo, Ullan, Lee, Niskanen, Kishel, Sacchetti, Corrin, Troumbly, C. Miller, Lawson, etc., just to name a few. All these players made it to D1, and/or NHL, by pure luck. They must have gotten lucky at some summer hockey festival and got noticed by someone whose half-brother's second cousin's ex-girlfriend's former roommate is a retired scout who used to work for the Hartford Whalers. If they would have transferred to Hermantown, or another "real" program, they'd all be NHL All-Stars right now.

It's borderline cruelty to expect a kid to play for a team that might not go to state. :D

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am

From Greenie on the Tuesday game thread:
"Greenway 7, Virginia 1 final. Probably the weakest Virginia team I’ve seen in years. I don’t know if they were missing players but they struggled. Greenway has two good lines. Ben Troumbly is something. The way he has the puck on a string is fun to watch. We’ll see when they play Minnetonka on Saturday if they are a top ten team."

Good to hear the Raiders have two good lines. Gotta have that second line to have any hope of taking down Hermantown. Two lines, a good goalie, and a stud defenseman. If they have another solid D that can log a lot of minutes like Lantz did, then there may be some hope for another trip to the X.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 am

Thunderstruck wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:49 pm
As I sit watching the game on my9 I was wondering if anyone knew this stat for the Hawks. How many of the Hawks players started in Hermantown youth hockey from mites and are on the varsity. Not stirring the pot but just curious, we all know the Hawks get a ton of move ins.
They beat Eveleth 5-2 last night. Eveleth hung with them until the 3rd period when it was tied 2-2.

According to the hub:

1st goal was Hermantown, from Hermantown and Denfeld
2nd goal was Virginia from Proctor
3rd goal was Denfeld from Denfeld
4th goal was Proctor, from Denfeld and Ely
5th goal was Hermantown from Hayward and Virginia

3 points on the night from Hermantown kids. 10 Points from the others.

Thunderstruck

Post by Thunderstruck » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:56 am

Wow, interesting stat for a small town single A school. Can't help to wonder how much fun it would be to watch section 7a hockey if the kids stayed in in their own programs to play. I think it would be a very competitive section.

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 am

Thunderstruck wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:56 am
Wow, interesting stat for a small town single A school. Can't help to wonder how much fun it would be to watch section 7a hockey if the kids stayed in in their own programs to play. I think it would be a very competitive section.
Agreed. It would be for sure 👍.

rainier2

Post by rainier2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:07 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 am
Thunderstruck wrote:
They beat Eveleth 5-2 last night. Eveleth hung with them until the 3rd period when it was tied 2-2.

According to the hub:

:shock:

hadenuf

Post by hadenuf » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:40 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:10 am
Thunderstruck wrote:

According to the hub:

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Post of the Year Candidate!

greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:44 am

rainier2 wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:03 am
From Greenie on the Tuesday game thread:
"Greenway 7, Virginia 1 final. Probably the weakest Virginia team I’ve seen in years. I don’t know if they were missing players but they struggled. Greenway has two good lines. Ben Troumbly is something. The way he has the puck on a string is fun to watch. We’ll see when they play Minnetonka on Saturday if they are a top ten team."

Good to hear the Raiders have two good lines. Gotta have that second line to have any hope of taking down Hermantown. Two lines, a good goalie, and a stud defenseman. If they have another solid D that can log a lot of minutes like Lantz did, then there may be some hope for another trip to the X.
Greenway has a sophomore defensemen who is a good one. They will need to develop/find a fourth. Clafton tried a couple of different kids. He might once again take a forward and move him to defense. The second line surprised me. They have one of the most physical kids I’ve seen at Greenway in a long time. He made some really hard hits. He’s about 6’1” and 225. Good skater too. As good as Lawson was as a scorer replacing Lantz is a bigger challenge. That kid was so smart and such a good passer. If Greenway can compete somewhat with Minnetonka on Saturday they might have a shot at Hermantown.