Elk River senior F Jack Perbix commits to Gophers (former ND commit)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

JerseyDave

Elk River senior F Jack Perbix commits to Gophers (former ND commit)

Post by JerseyDave » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:26 pm

Jack Perbix (@Perbixx12)
"I am proud and honored to announce my commitment to play college hockey at the University of Minnesota. Thanks to everyone who has supported me! #Gophs"
11:26 AM - 22 Sep 2018
https://twitter.com/Perbixx12/status/10 ... 7871405057

2018 NHL Draft Profile:
https://www.ushl.com/news_article/show/924714

2018 NHL Draft Exclusive Interview: Jack Perbix (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0zPtporrYI

Jack Perbix scores first USHL goal for Green Bay -- 3/10/18 (video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04Jlh8IASQQ

Elite Prospects profile:
https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/3 ... ack-perbix

ND commitment in 2016:
https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/colleg ... notre-dame

muckandgrinder65

Re: Elk River senior F Jack Perbix commits to Gophers (former ND commit)

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:50 pm

Congrats to Jack and the UofMN program.
....probably the best all around FWD from 7AA

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:12 am

Perbix is an extremely talented player, he’ll be a very good college hockey player. Very happy he’ll be skating for the Gophers, congrats to Jack!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Mr. hockey contender if he would’ve stayed for his senior year. Enjoyed seeing him 3-4 times a year last couple years. Plus the dramatic section 7 playoffs on the live stream . True power skater, there are not too many of these, real fun to watch that ability. Glad we are keeping him in the state. Will we see brother Nick make the move to the maroon and gold also?

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:44 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:29 pm
Will we see brother Nick make the move to the maroon and gold also?
Looks like they'll be college rivals instead of teammates considering Nick's reply to Jack's announcement:

Nick Perbix (@perbix15)
"Well congrats you’re a rodent now #GoHuskies #stillloveyou"
12:46 PM - 22 Sep 2018
https://twitter.com/perbix15/status/1043587425283584001

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 pm

Excellent investigation JD!

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am

Any chance at all this changes Jack's decision this year? Older brother Nick was recruited by Motzko and played his Sr. season for the Elks.

JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 am

blueline_6 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am
Any chance at all this changes Jack's decision this year? Older brother Nick was recruited by Motzko and played his Sr. season for the Elks.
Nope, he is officially gone:

"Perbix to forgo his senior season with Elk River"
By Jake Andersen Sports Reporter
* Jack Perbix is forgoing his senior season with the Elks to play for the Green Bay Gamlbers in the United States Hockey League.
* Also announces a new college commitment with the University of Minnesota
https://www.hometownsource.com/elk_rive ... 660fd.html

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:33 pm

JerseyDave wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 am
blueline_6 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:11 am
Nope, he is officially gone:

"Perbix to forgo his senior season with Elk River"
By Jake Andersen Sports Reporter
* Jack Perbix is forgoing his senior season with the Elks to play for the Green Bay Gamlbers in the United States Hockey League.
* Also announces a new college commitment with the University of Minnesota
https://www.hometownsource.com/elk_rive ... 660fd.html
Too bad, he would have been a lot of fun to watch this year. Also, this reporter says Foss is coming back for his sr year, I thought Foss was leaving for NAHL according to Karl(east) over on the early departures thread.

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:20 am

"Additionally, Perbix said that his college team wanted him to play for the Gamblers, adding they are willing to let him play collegiate hockey as a true freshman pending a good season in the USHL."

Not very good optics for the U, encouraging recruits to leave school and go to the USHL. Not a good way to support HS hockey in the state. I understand the reasons why but to see it printed on paper just struck me. Also, entering college hockey as a freshman is conditional on having a good season in Green Bay. What happens if this season isn't up to standards? Interesting to watch and see if he's back in Green Bay next year anyway.

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:36 am

I read this as the Gophers telling him they want him to play at least 1 year in the USHL before coming to the U. He could have stayed at ER for his Senior year and then play a year in the USHL before joining the Gophers. His choice. I'm guessing the Gophers would have been fine either..

hockey59

Post by hockey59 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 am

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:20 am
"Additionally, Perbix said that his college team wanted him to play for the Gamblers, adding they are willing to let him play collegiate hockey as a true freshman pending a good season in the USHL."

Not very good optics for the U, encouraging recruits to leave school and go to the USHL. Not a good way to support HS hockey in the state. I understand the reasons why but to see it printed on paper just struck me. Also, entering college hockey as a freshman is conditional on having a good season in Green Bay. What happens if this season isn't up to standards? Interesting to watch and see if he's back in Green Bay next year anyway.
This isn’t surprising to me, Jack has had 3 great years at ER, I recall my youngest son (as a senior) playing for Anoka in 2016, commenting after playing against Jack (as a freshman) “that kid is really good” Also recallthat both Lucia & Guentzal sent their sons to junior hockey while both were still in HS, don’t know why you’d expect Motzko to be any different (now that’s he’s the Gopher coach) .college hockey is a BUSINESS. It’s not like the UMD coaches discouraged WBL’s Gallatin or MG’s Kelley from leaving HS hockey to play at NTDP.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 pm

How many more players is Motzko going to poach from other D1 programs?
Is there a limit?
If there is a limit who can Motzko whine too in order to plead his case for more players? :P

SCBlueLiner

Post by SCBlueLiner » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:00 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 am
SCBlueLiner wrote:

This isn’t surprising to me, Jack has had 3 great years at ER, I recall my youngest son (as a senior) playing for Anoka in 2016, commenting after playing against Jack (as a freshman) “that kid is really good” Also recallthat both Lucia & Guentzal sent their sons to junior hockey while both were still in HS, don’t know why you’d expect Motzko to be any different (now that’s he’s the Gopher coach) .college hockey is a BUSINESS. It’s not like the UMD coaches discouraged WBL’s Gallatin or MG’s Kelley from leaving HS hockey to play at NTDP.
I realize all this and I'm not saying this is Motzko specific as I'm sure other schools do the same thing. Just saying the optics don't look good.

kniven

Post by kniven » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 pm

.....so i take it elk river will be a bottom feeder in 7AA this year? it stinks when players leave early.....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:52 pm

northwoods oldtimer wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:15 pm
How many more players is Motzko going to poach from other D1 programs?
Is there a limit?
If there is a limit who can Motzko whine too in order to plead his case for more players? :P
My guess is Jack wanted to go to the U but didn't think Lucia or his coaching fit his game. Motzko changed that aspect.

muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:32 pm

Elk River should be OK with Michaelis and Humphrey
Even better if Foss returns for his senior year? ... is he going to Odessa for sure???

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:06 pm

SCBlueLiner wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:00 pm
hockey59 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:47 am
SCBlueLiner wrote:

I realize all this and I'm not saying this is Motzko specific as I'm sure other schools do the same thing. Just saying the optics don't look good.
Every kid that leaves early for “greener pastures” creates an opening for a kid who may never have had a chance or the next young superstar.

BIGtimer

Post by BIGtimer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:23 am

Congrats Perbs!

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:52 am

muckandgrinder65 wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:32 pm
Elk River should be OK with Michaelis and Humphrey
Even better if Foss returns for his senior year? ... is he going to Odessa for sure???
Foss is gone.

Usthockey13

Post by Usthockey13 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:37 am

Maybe he was sick of losing to Rapids and East in sections ? :wink: