Elite League Livestream: NTDP u17 vs. N & SW

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Re: Elite League Livestream: NTDP u17 vs. N & SW

Post by O-townClown »

http://www.watchingpuck.com/archives/

You can access both games here.
Be kind. Rewind.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Elite League leader pages shows player points from 27 points down to 6 points. Not sure if this includes all Sunday points or not.

Some rough math from that list , appreciate any corrections or comments. My good friend CakeScout already gave me his impressions.

4 Edina Team SW players have 85 points

6 Tonka players , 4 on SW and 2 other teams, have 59 points, without Brink who likely would have made the total points roughly equal

Lots of factors involved , so direct conclusions are not perfect.

But generally speaking- certainly revalidates that Tonka has a LOT riding on whether Brink returns or not.

Also, generally speaking - appears Edina returning scorers have crossed the threshold to dispel concerns about how they would perform without Walker and Kuomo

Both Edina and Tonka will be very solid at blue line, edge to Tonka

With Glockner healthy, definite edge to Tonka on goaltending, although dont know much about new Edina transfer

Both teams will likely be back at the X . If Brink were not to return, Chaska/EP/HF have a greater chance for an upset in Section 2AA . Hard to rank a second right now, Id lean to Chaska if Warnert returns fully healthy,

My thinking is that Deast has emerged as clear favorite in 7AA led by Ryder, and with big size advantage and big edge on blue line, although 7AA final will be fun as always, with ANDV or CEC capable of upset.

STA runaway in 3AA as usual.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:27 am Elite League leader pages shows player points from 27 points down to 6 points. Not sure if this includes all Sunday points or not.

Some rough math from that list , appreciate any corrections or comments. My good friend CakeScout already gave me his impressions.

4 Edina Team SW players have 85 points

6 Tonka players , 4 on SW and 2 other teams, have 59 points, without Brink who likely would have made the total points roughly equal

Lots of factors involved , so direct conclusions are not perfect.

But generally speaking- certainly revalidates that Tonka has a LOT riding on whether Brink returns or not.

Also, generally speaking - appears Edina returning scorers have crossed the threshold to dispel concerns about how they would perform without Walker and Kuomo

Both Edina and Tonka will be very solid at blue line, edge to Tonka

With Glockner healthy, definite edge to Tonka on goaltending, although dont know much about new Edina transfer

Both teams will likely be back at the X . If Brink were not to return, Chaska/EP/HF have a greater chance for an upset in Section 2AA . Hard to rank a second right now, Id lean to Chaska if Warnert returns fully healthy,

My thinking is that Deast has emerged as clear favorite in 7AA led by Ryder, and with big size advantage and big edge on blue line, although 7AA final will be fun as always, with ANDV or CEC capable of upset.

STA runaway in 3AA as usual.
I was at the USA vs SW game Sunday, GREAT GAME that USA rallied to win 5-4. Ran into Danny & made an (ala trading places) $1 bet with him that Andover represents 7AA in 2019. First time I’ve ever seen Brock Faber of USA play, the kid has nice wheels for a D, very impressed, especially considering he played Bantam AA last year. Thought Kelley & Gallatin (UMD recruits) both looked good too for USA. For SW I really liked the Blake School kid, the Tonka duo of Luedtke & Doctor, Glockner in G, Pitlick, & O’Neill of STA. The big D from Holy Family too. As far as DE goes, I’m not feeling the love, at least not yet. Donovan & Paine & maybe Cochran are top notch, but then I see a noticeable drop to good players but not game changers. Sure, plenty of depth and Hanson will do a good job between the pipes. However, there’s simply no replacing Worth or LaMaster & Mageau was sneaky good too. Accordingly, I just think this will be Andover’s year in 7AA, as they only graduated one impact player, everyone else is back. There’s a 1st time for everything ☝️
Last edited by hockey59 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 »

WarmUpTheBus wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:47 pm
ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:14 am FInally had a chance to watch the archived stream. Did think it was interesting they put non-north Koster on first PP unit, but I guess they’re trying to win the game. This was my first viewing of Donovan this fall and he didn’t disappoint. That combo of size and skating is something special.

Again with the metro kids, but Koster and Gleason looked great. Pino had some really good flashes too. Maybe it was just me, but I thought Mittelstadt appeared to struggle. He works pretty hard, but doesn’t seem to have the poise when the game gets this fast and tight. Was directly responsible for at least two of USA’s goals. He’s had a great off-season and a pretty good fall, so I’m hoping it was just an off night for him.
Mittelsteadt took a slash to the back of his knee behind the play in the first period. He was visibly in pain and limped through a couple of shifts and didn’t seem full speed after that.
Got it, ouch. That explains it a bit. Hope he’s alright.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Good observations 59 . However Andover top 2 have only 10 and 8 elite points so far
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

Metro brings up a good point-
The other 2 elite players are non-factors and goalie is near 10th spot.
I think the Andover hype needs to be dialed back....making it back to the sectional finals would be an accomplishment- just an opinion with no horse in the race
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

WestMetro wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:27 am But generally speaking- certainly revalidates that Tonka has a LOT riding on whether Brink returns or not.
I noticed Brink is not listed on Hockey Hub's list of D1 college recruits. Hope that doesn't mean he is gone. Pretty sure he was listed last year.
https://www.mnhockeyhub.com/recruiting-2018-2019
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

JD and others:

Word from the stands this past weekend is that BB is staying in USHL. Gone. Bummer as it would have been perfect year for him to do the B & A...
Im guessing if he's still gone come 11/12/18 - he is truly not coming back.
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

Even without Brinkman & Brink the games between Edina and Minnetonka are going to be great.
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:36 pm Metro brings up a good point-
The other 2 elite players are non-factors and goalie is near 10th spot.
I think the Andover hype needs to be dialed back....making it back to the sectional finals would be an accomplishment- just an opinion with no horse in the race
I think you omitted...

Wyatt Kaiser (Andover [MN] High School / Minnesota Blades 16U) has committed to the University of Minnesota-Duluth for 2021-2022. And their goalie doesn’t have D like Luedtke & Doctor playing in front of him. Maybe you guys are correct...but again, at least at this point...I contend DE will be down from last year $ the Huskies have all but one of their key contributors back. Looking forward to the clash at ACC as I recall too...well know more after that. Huskies did win the summer tourney at Braemar too...😉
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

59 good points ! And I know you are younger, better looking , and generally wiser! Not to mention - you got my back on my misposts! .

Will agree Hounds on upcoming opening day will be somewhat talent reduction from Hounds from last Feb and March playoffs. However ,as season progresses Lyle, Anderson , Baker ,Jeanette and returning from injury Fitzgerald along with Ryder will be as formidable a six F as anywhere . Plus Paine and Cochran among states top 2 in terms of pure defending the blue line. Also , when they come onto the ice they are among biggest HS teams in memory, close to Wayzata big teams

Yes , Andover has almost everyone back and a year bigger and better. Fritsinger not to be underestimated, He almost stole the 7AA Game last year And he could do it again. Also I think coach Manney Might have coached the game of his life, and there were some special player motivations going on that night

Having said all that, I put the odds on Duluth East , and if Brink is gone I favor Edina to make it to the final in the other bracket against Hounds at the X
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

I hear what your saying WM & have great respect for your takes. ☝️ But I’ll go Tonka, which even if BB stays in USHL, has the best team on paper (in the State) vs the scrappy, Anoka birthed (from 2002) :wink: Andover HUSKIES...when all is said and done. And if BB somehow returns from the USHL 🎯 Regarding Edina, very much like DE, unless some sophomores I’ve never heard of emerge...replacing Sammy & Brinkman & the Greek Freak will be a daunting task...they’ll be damn good, but not quite in the same league as in 2018. Getting excited for the season to begin!!!
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

59 - I laughed out loud on the 'Anoka birthed' line...that was great!
and my guy WM - always spot on!

Lets cover mid-Elite League season and how its shaping the rankings and outlook for the season.

Team USA vs. North and SW last weekend:
Both North and SW elite teams gave their all versus USA this past weekend. North played well and although the 'recruits' helped fill out the North roster they weren't really contributing to the outcome. USA was just a better passing team and more fluid w/ some serious length. USA led North the entire game, literally and figuratively. Sundays tilt had SW playing from behind as they were down 2-0 and I thought a blowout was looming, however some Ranheim motivational tactics got the boys back to 2-2 and then took the lead, 3-2...something North did not do. That said, some glaringly undisciplined play led to a handful of SW penalties that tied the game and then, after trading donnybrook inducing goals and tying it up at 4-4 it was almost if scripted & USA was provided a PP w/ a bow wrapped around it and won in the closing minute with the 5-4 vic. SW finally showed some grit I have not seen to date this Fall so that was good to see...the kind of grit and solid D that North usually displays.

Fall observations shaping upcoming season:
A lot of people think Tonka will be just fine and won't miss a beat without BB this year (if he's truly FT in USHL)...I disagree. Of course they'll be top 5, battle for top 3 all season, but there will be a drop off w/o BB. I know about the incoming F transfers but not all that impressed w/ their showing. Feels like they are all solid players but no standout sniper among them, and a lack of leadership there...back end? Arguably as good as any in the state - its Luedtke's year to really shine and pull his best Paul Coffey impression. Glockner is Glockner and Goldsworthy will undoubtedly shape the boys into gritty competitors, but no Brink? IS a big deal. He's just that good, hard-nosed and crafty as they come. Ill miss watching him regularly.

DE will be loaded. Not 'as loaded' and big as last year, but loaded aplenty and will only get better as year goes along. Not entirely sold until I see the early December tilt in Andover on Dec 8th. They were a longer team last year but might actually be a heavier team this year, for what thats worth. Is it me or does Ryder Donovan...just seem a bit off. Elite league and the Prospects game - I kind of expected him to set scoring records and just really shine the way Sammy and DK did last year in Fall Elite...RD is SO talented, can really fly at that height but something is off...maybe conserving himself a bit for the long season ahead? Does he miss Worth and Mageau the way Jungels and Nevers miss Sammy? Maybe thats part of it, sure. To me, the best overall showing on Team North this Fall has been #7, Blake Biondi. All the tools, decent enough size w/ room for another 10-15lbs and plays a true 200 ft game, so smart everywhere on the ice - fun to watch...and hes only a sophomore? WOW. DE will probably take 7AA but I still cant get the late July Andover/DE matchup at Braemar out of my head as the Andover PIRANHAS were hungry and there was nothing left on the Amazonian Hound bone. But July is July and March is March. We shall see...

Edina. Hmmm...top 5? Yeah. But not much more...unless some underclassmen emerge and they solidify up the center position I just dont know they'll have enough firepower this year. Solid D, very solid top 6 D, in fact, w/ decent size and finally some senior leadership on their blue line. Goalie is total question mark. I lean toward Wolfe over Bell by my eye test but its a new year - the caveat is the rumored Alaska G transfer is 'pushing' to make a case to be the starter - again, we will know in about 6 weeks. Back to the Edina O - first line will be fast again with presumably JJ, MN and an improved Liam Malmquist who has shown serious flashes of speed and playmaking ability this Fall. Another Edina player fun to watch albeit small in stature. From JV and Bantams the 2nd & 3rd lines should have some length and bit more girth this year. It won't be an electric team like last year pouring in 6, 7 or 8 goals nearly every game, even against Tonka, but maybe some grinder 3-2, 2-1 games are what Edina needs. They just have to bring SOME GRIT and PHYSICALITY to the mix as late Feb and March demand it. Players to watch/needing to emerge as sophomores will be D - Nick Williams and F - Jackson Borst. Edina will enjoy a good year, but I feel the real, true shot at a state title is 3 years out w/ Jimmy Clark and the Miracles.

My pre-season top 5 is of no worldwide alert but IF BRINK RETURNS it shapes like this;

1. Tonka (w/o BB? they drop but only spot or two)
2. DE
3. Andover
4. Edina
5. Coin toss of Cretin / St T / HF
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

22 points in 16 games, pretty solid Elite numbers so far for Ryder Donovan.
Looks like RD and Biondi are carrying the North team in points.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

northwoods oldtimer wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:09 am 22 points in 16 games, pretty solid Elite numbers so far for Ryder Donovan.
Looks like RD and Biondi are carrying the North team in points.
Ryder’s a great player, but not much of a goal scorer, excellent set up guy though 7-15-22. Biondi on the other hand with 20 goals 👍...glad he’s going to tUMD down the road...he might even get an opportunity to play AA hockey to boot..😉
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well reasoned both 59 and Cake! Respect your arena minutes and your in-depth thinking!

Think there is probably consensus on top five/six as a group amongst us and most pundits , cept I’d bump HF out of a 5th tie to lower top 10 or even 11/12.

Biggest Elite surprises on rate of improvement from last season: Malmquist and Pitlick!
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

CakeScout17 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:44 pm Does he miss Worth and Mageau the way Jungels and Nevers miss Sammy?

Edina will enjoy a good year, but I feel the real, true shot at a state title is 3 years out w/ Jimmy Clark and the Miracles.

My pre-season top 5 is of no worldwide alert but IF BRINK RETURNS it shapes like this;

1. Tonka (w/o BB? they drop but only spot or two)
2. DE
3. Andover
4. Edina
5. Coin toss of Cretin / St T / HF
Interesting take. Jungels (3rd in Elite League scoring) and Nevers (8th) miss Walker? Seems like they are getting along just fine.

I think it is weird there is hype surrounding other players for Mr. Hockey, yet these two guys from Edina are being discounted. Nevers had 67 points last season (27-40) and Jungels had 64 (30-34). Given their showing in Elite League I anticipate similar numbers this season.

As for a current 1st year Bantam providing the next chance for Edina to win a state title, I suspect this is the last real top-top team for a good while. Seniors Malmquist, Nevers, Jungels, Chorske, Colby, Reiners, and Vorlicky are an awfully nice core. There will be a significant dropoff.
Be kind. Rewind.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Malmquist is having a great elite league year...it’s not easy playing in the shadow of your oldest brother. If they play NMJ together on a line, it will be potent, but they’ll still miss the way Sammy backed off opponents D with his speed alone...
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Based on how Mr Hockey voting typically goes, it’s Donovan’s to win, if he slips up, Koster & Leudtke have a Chip, chair & a Chance...everyone else has a chance to be finalists, but it’s s one horse race (3 at most) IMO
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

Dont get me wrong RD is strong player, very talented...Im simply saying I expected more. I expected RD to light it up on par w/ Sammy and DK stats from last Fall EL. When playing stronger competition I see solid work there, but not 'elite'. Hence, my point on Biondi as he seems to rise up as the tougher the competition gets and displays a more complete, 2-way game and with an edge, at that...just a real 'heady' player.

Yeah, the points in Fall Elite are there for JJ and Nevers, whereas my point was about the Edina regular season and missing Sammy on their line. Just a vibe. JJ has been a bit up and down this Fall. One up game w/ grit and hustle, then down the next where sometimes the legs even seem a bit heavy (?)... Nevers has some points as well and definitely playing w/ bit more 'sand' last week or two, but again, if you look at the games where these 2 have grabbed points I think you'll find its against some of the lesser talented, less balanced teams in Fall Elite. Versus bigger and tougher competition? Yes, they miss Sammy factor. 'Word has it' that J has received advice from scouts to move past 'Sammy factor' and focus on developing into being more of 'his own player', defining his game/style and becoming a leader/playmaker in his own right. I think he can do it - kid is all heart, great family/support. He will get there! Mental more than anything. JJ a captain for '18-'19 so he's already on his way. Simply a vibe, an observation but early this Fall it was palpable vibe w/o Sammy streaking around.

HF will get better as season goes along, they always do and always make a late season push, I expect nothing less. But the firepower is down and not sure about D depth. Goalie Huber will help them out quite a bit as does that schedule in building confidence as season goes along. I just cant decide between Creting and St T at #5...probs Cretin. This is where the master, Karl comes in to straighten us all out! HA! Karl, Karl...need ya buddy!
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

OOTC - Ill put the Nevers, JJ scoring this year at low-to-mid 40's. Different team, better balance (hopefully) and no Mr Hockey feeding them softball assists to tap in...I hope Im wrong and you're right.

But Ill put a $2.00 french vanilla cappuccino on it IF we ever run into each other at a game. (I offer that bet as that seems to be the ubiquitous item at every rink all season long...)
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

hockey59 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:17 am Ryder’s a great player, but not much of a goal scorer, excellent set up guy though 7-15-22.
In the article below, RD says he would like to become more of a goal scorer this season:

"UND recruit Ryder Donovan hopes to show different side of game this season"
By Brad Elliott Schlossman on Sep 19, 2018 at 5:29 p.m.
http://www.fccnn.com/sports/hockey/4501 ... ame-season
Last edited by JerseyDave on Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear »

I too want to be more of goal scorer this year. Last year's numbers of 7 assists in 30 games was a down year. GB
CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 »

bing.
WarmUpTheBus

Post by WarmUpTheBus »

CakeScout17 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:52 pm OOTC - Ill put the Nevers, JJ scoring this year at low-to-mid 40's. Different team, better balance (hopefully) and no Mr Hockey feeding them softball assists to tap in...I hope Im wrong and you're right.

But Ill put a $2.00 french vanilla cappuccino on it IF we ever run into each other at a game. (I offer that bet as that seems to be the ubiquitous item at every rink all season long...)
Nevers has a nose for the net and is a goal scorer. His skating is a little suspect so it will be important for him to play with players who will create space and time for him to operate like Sammy did last year.