Private School Top 10 for 2018-19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Re: Private School Top 10 for 2018-19

Post by Stang5280 »

That guy for that thing wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:38 am I am not too versed on this individual story, but this is what just came to my mind initially. I don't know where this kid is from or anything else about the kid, but this was just my first thoughts.
Isanti, FWIW. I’m not judging the reasons for the transfer, just pointing out that he isn’t returning to his home district.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

blueline_6 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:29 pm
muckandgrinder65 wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:56 pm BTW- Legacy Christian Academy should be in top 20 privates this year.
:lol:

When I first saw the title of this post I thought "Why stop at 10, just list them all."
Yeah, there are really only about seven relevant programs this year, and expanding the list to a nice round number like tan is kind of a stretch. There’s not much beyond Cathedral in Class A these days.

By my count there are only 16 total private school programs, with the others being Providence Academy, Minnehaha Academy, Saint Paul Academy, Rochester Lourdes, Southwest Christian, and Legacy Christian, I’ll go ahead and declare Providence Academy as the clear number 11 of the group! :wink:
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

minnscout wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:46 pm
HockeyonFire wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 pm No one on here ever gives Holy Family love, even though they are the only AA school with 20+ wins the last three seasons. Another 20+ win season this year and BSM won't win 18 yet people on here have them ranked higher than the fire....
You play Litchfield, Mound, Hutchinson, Delano and Waconia some of them twice. That is why.
Looking at HF schedule its even worse then I thought.
Mound, Northfield, Hutchinson, Orono, Waconia, Litchfield, New Prague, Delano, Greenway, Denfeld. Some of these teams more then once. That is basically half their games playing really weak competition.
Hockeygoon00

Post by Hockeygoon00 »

Only Orono twice. They don’t have a choice since they are stuck in the Wright County Conference. Agree competition not great within conference but they are stuck there.

I did hear they are looking to go independent as early as next season to avoid playing some of these games. School controls it but I’m sure once they can go independent they will start.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

Hockeygoon00 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 am Only Orono twice. They don’t have a choice since they are stuck in the Wright County Conference. Agree competition not great within conference but they are stuck there.

I did hear they are looking to go independent as early as next season to avoid playing some of these games. School controls it but I’m sure once they can go independent they will start.
I doubt MSHL will allow them to go Independent. MShl will require them to get into conference. You would think with weak league schedule they wouldn't add Northfield and other class A teams to schedule.
yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey »

This is a great reason why I think private schools should have their own conference. Let them play each other twice a year.

How much fun would it be to see St Thomas, HF, Blake, Hill Murray, Cretin and whoever else all in the same conference. Recruiting budgets would triple, rivalries would form, attendance would go up and the final 2-3 play in games to make it to state would be an unbelievable environment.

The question is. Does HF want this? Maybe they are happy padding the stats and winning games 8-1. From their standpoint, at the end of the season all they need to do is hope for a hot goalie and win what 2 games? Maybe playing stiff competition 2-3 nights a week is the last thing they want.

They were one "bang the puck off the glass" from going to state last year.
Hockeygoon00

Post by Hockeygoon00 »

Typically they have a very good non conference schedule which tells me they want to play in the tough games. They always schedule a very tough non conference schedule. I know they lost a couple of good games (Lakeville South and Lakeville North at the end of the summer since Shakopee decided to play those teams twice in the conference when in years past they only played once.) I imagine they did not have the pick of the litter that late to get some games back on the schedule is what I heard.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

minnscout wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:04 am
HockeyonFire wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 pm No one on here ever gives Holy Family love, even though they are the only AA school with 20+ wins the last three seasons. Another 20+ win season this year and BSM won't win 18 yet people on here have them ranked higher than the fire....
You play Litchfield, Mound, Hutchinson, Delano and Waconia some of them twice. That is why.
Mound, Northfield, Hutchinson, Orono, Waconia, Litchfield, New Prague, Delano, Greenway, Denfeld. Some of these teams more then once. That is basically half their games playing really weak competition.
FWIW, Greenway will not be a "weak" team this year. 6 players in Elite League plus one more that I was surprised to not see in Elite League.
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

It is an honor an privilege to play in the elite league. It is not an indicator of the players’ respective team success. Elite Leage exists for exposure.
And it’s fun for the boys.
minnscout

Post by minnscout »

rainier2 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:24 pm

FWIW, Greenway will not be a "weak" team this year. 6 players in Elite League plus one more that I was surprised to not see in Elite League.
Greenway will be a very good A level team. Last I checked HF is a AA school. I have also heard HF will be removed from Turkey Trot starting next season. Are they going to add more weak teams next year?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

minnscout wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:27 am
rainier2 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:24 pm

Greenway will be a very good A level team. Last I checked HF is a AA school. I have also heard HF will be removed from Turkey Trot starting next season. Are they going to add more weak teams next year?
Very good A level teams compete well with even top AA teams. Class A champ Orono lost 5-2 (en) to AA juggernaut Tonka last year, shots were 41-29 Tonka; that's a competitive game. And of course we know Hermantown beat the eventual AA state champ 2 years in a row.

I think a better question is why HF would even schedule a game against a top A team. They have a real possibility of losing, and they won't get any credit for beating an A team come seeding time.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:12 pm It is an honor an privilege to play in the elite league. It is not an indicator of the players’ respective team success. Elite Leage exists for exposure.
And it’s fun for the boys.
Okay, for $1000, I'll take a team with 8 Elite League players, and you get the team with 1. :D

I'm too lazy to do the math, but I'd bet the number of Elite League players on a team is an excellent indicator of the players' respective team success.
BP

Post by BP »

Is HF even a top 10 team this year in AA? A solid goalie, a couple of good D and one forward line. How is the depth? This may be one of their weakest teams in past 4-5 years I'd think.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Ive got my own top 8 ranked, and then a group of the next 8 where IMHO its pretty hard to distinguish among them right now. HF is in my second group.

My top 8 are:

Edina
Deast
Tonka (no Brink)
Andover
STA
CDH
Chaska
EP

My second 8, in alpha order, are:

Blake
Blaine
CEC
HM
HF
LVN
MG
WBL

Will be interesting to see Karl and YHH rankings when they come out next Tuesday.
hockeydad

Post by hockeydad »

minnscout wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:40 am
Hockeygoon00 wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:46 am Only Orono twice. They don’t have a choice since they are stuck in the Wright County Conference. Agree competition not great within conference but they are stuck there.

I doubt MSHL will allow them to go Independent. MShl will require them to get into conference. You would think with weak league schedule they wouldn't add Northfield and other class A teams to schedule.
MSHSL has no say in whether a team plays in a conference unless a school asks to be placed in a conference. If Holy Family wants to play an independent schedule, and the Wright County Conference agrees, it will happen.
Northernlakes

Re: Private School Top 10 for 2018-19 -Duluth Marshall

Post by Northernlakes »

Duluth Marshall on big decline. Lost 2 very good D. Not much on the way......... They will be back in class A very quickly and will most likely take some time to build again. They may have ran out of steam in the area.............
BP

Re: Private School Top 10 for 2018-19 -Duluth Marshall

Post by BP »

Northernlakes wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 pm Duluth Marshall on big decline. Lost 2 very good D. Not much on the way......... They will be back in class A very quickly and will most likely take some time to build again. They may have ran out of steam in the area.............

Lost 2 D - I know one went to USHL - another one transfer?