Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Post Reply
JerseyDave
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by JerseyDave » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:14 pm

"U.S. Roster Set for 2018 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge"
* Tournament to be held Nov. 3-10 in Saint John & Quispamsis, N.B.
By USAHockeyNTDP.com, 10/30/18, 5:30PM EDT

PLYMOUTH, Mich. – USA Hockey announced today the 22-player roster for its 2018 U.S. National Under-17 Team, which will compete at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge from Nov. 3-10 in Saint John & Quispamsis, New Brunswick. The roster includes 20 full-time members of the 2018-19 U.S. National Under-17 Team, part of USA Hockey’s National Team Development Program based in Plymouth, Michigan. Also added to the roster is goaltender Colin Purcell (Shaker Heights, Ohio) and forward Blake Biondi (Hermantown, Minn.).
https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/news_article/show/963998

Roster:
https://www.usahockeyntdp.com/u17challenge2018roster

greenwayraider
Posts: 724
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by greenwayraider » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 pm

Biondi is way too good a player to be playing high school hockey. He should be a full time player for the U17s.

Yoopskater
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:10 am

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by Yoopskater » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:38 pm

What’s the hurry? Enjoy the HS years.

TheNightman
Posts: 497
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by TheNightman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:04 am

Wouldn't surprise me if he played this year at Hermantown then joined the U18s next year.

612hockeytown
Posts: 236
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:18 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:26 pm
Biondi is way too good a player to be playing high school hockey. He should be a full time player for the U17s.
100% Agree - if that is what he wants. Why can't kids play to the level their talents equates them too without the community chiming in "play with your friends/community?" If he is all for the U17s then go for it! I would also agree that if he wanted to stay through his senior year - their shouldn't be pressure to move up either.

I have seen some great 16/17/18 year olds skate this past 18 months in both the NAHL and USHL and it's a whole different animal, but kids like Brink, Moe, Bischel, Frisch etc etc - why not? All are seeing success and I am missing a few from this year alone.

WarmUpTheBus
Posts: 656
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:24 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by WarmUpTheBus » Wed Oct 31, 2018 2:23 pm

I think a lot depends on what a kid is trying to accomplish with a move. Take for example a defenseman who is a terrific puck mover and defender but would like to improve his offensive skills. If he moves up to the next level he will be expected to be a good defender and move the puck to the skilled forwards, something he already does well. Maybe staying behind for a year and working on offensive skills against high school competition is the best thing he could do for his overall improvement.

Slap Shot
Posts: 756
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:44 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by Slap Shot » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 pm

Plenty of high quality kids turn down an invite to play for the NTDP. There is not necessarily a "should" about it. MN doesn't lack for kids making it to NHL that played their Jr and/or Sr. year in HS.

JerseyDave
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by JerseyDave » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:15 pm

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:18 am
I have seen some great 16/17/18 year olds skate this past 18 months in both the NAHL and USHL and it's a whole different animal, but kids like Brink, Moe, Bischel, Frisch etc etc - why not? All are seeing success and I am missing a few from this year alone.
Speaking of Brink, he's currently tied for second in scoring in the USHL out of 420 players, most of whom are older than him.
https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/u ... /2018-2019

He was also mentioned again in THN articles on NHL prospects:
https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... t-swinging (Ryder Donovan also listed)
https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/ ... n-red-deer (K'Andre Miller also mentioned)

"Bobby Brink, C, Sioux City Musketeers (USHL): A nifty offensive player who stood out last year as a youngster with Minnetonka high school in Minnesota, Brink is now laying waste to the USHL as a member of the Musketeers. The University of Denver commit and 2019 draft prospect is tied for third in league scoring with 15 points in 10 games. NHL arrival: 2022-23"

kniven
Posts: 2754
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by kniven » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am

Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 pm
Plenty of high quality kids turn down an invite to play for the NTDP. There is not necessarily a "should" about it. MN doesn't lack for kids making it to NHL that played their Jr and/or Sr. year in HS.
Another Minnesota state high school hockey championship is never a bad idea either.......

hockey59
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by hockey59 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:55 pm

kniven wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 pm
Plenty of high quality kids turn down an invite to play for the NTDP. There is not necessarily a "should" about it. MN doesn't lack for kids making it to NHL that played their Jr and/or Sr. year in HS.
Another Minnesota state high school hockey championship is never a bad idea either.......
single a (though)...not AA 😉

That guy for that thing
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: Hinckley

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by That guy for that thing » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:10 pm

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:55 pm
kniven wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:28 am
Slap Shot wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 pm
Plenty of high quality kids turn down an invite to play for the NTDP. There is not necessarily a "should" about it. MN doesn't lack for kids making it to NHL that played their Jr and/or Sr. year in HS.
Another Minnesota state high school hockey championship is never a bad idea either.......
single a (though)...not AA 😉
This year. If H-town does go up, and at this point who the hell knows, you never know what will happen.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by MrBoDangles » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 pm

Isn't it VERY obvious that Brink developed wonderfully right here in Minnesota. :shock: .? I think it's a no brainer to do the before and after in the USHL and also play a full season for Minnetonka and dominate... Also probably be the favorites for a state championship! He'll only develop more by doing this..!

hockey59
Posts: 1461
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by hockey59 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 pm

Every kid is different, Brink is (I believe) 2nd in the USHL in scoring & won a AA State Title last year. Selfishly...a lot of us hope...he returns to Tonka...because he’s so much fun to watch! But again, whatever he decides, it’s his decision to make & I can’t fault him if he decides to stay in the USHL. It’s not for us to determine where he will develop more, that’s up to him (and his family)

ThatMNHockeyGuy62
Posts: 408
Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 am

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:00 pm

MrBoDangles wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Isn't it VERY obvious that Brink developed wonderfully right here in Minnesota. :shock: .? I think it's a no brainer to do the before and after in the USHL and also play a full season for Minnetonka and dominate... Also probably be the favorites for a state championship! He'll only develop more by doing this..!
Brink had a blast at Minnetonka and is a very loyal kid, but his leaving early is just further example that players who transfer/move/open enroll for high school have a lower rate of staying for their senior (or junior) years. Didn’t grow up a childhood fan of the program and once you leave once, it gets easier to leave the next time.

Again, wish Bobby the best in USHL, and it rather makes sense in his situation, but we shouldn’t be all too surprised.

blueline_6
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by blueline_6 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 pm
Every kid is different, Brink is (I believe) 2nd in the USHL in scoring & won a AA State Title last year. Selfishly...a lot of us hope...he returns to Tonka...because he’s so much fun to watch! But again, whatever he decides, it’s his decision to make & I can’t fault him if he decides to stay in the USHL. It’s not for us to determine where he will develop more, that’s up to him (and his family)
Absolutely agree with this, but with one edit:

... that’s up to him (and his family, and the Denver Pioneers).

If he had been in the 2018 NHL draft, I would have included the name of the NHL team that drafted him. Colleges and NHL teams have huge influence on whether a kid stays in high school or heads to USHL.

MrBoDangles
Posts: 4064
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:32 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by MrBoDangles » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:57 pm

blueline_6 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:06 am
hockey59 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:51 pm
Every kid is different, Brink is (I believe) 2nd in the USHL in scoring & won a AA State Title last year. Selfishly...a lot of us hope...he returns to Tonka...because he’s so much fun to watch! But again, whatever he decides, it’s his decision to make & I can’t fault him if he decides to stay in the USHL. It’s not for us to determine where he will develop more, that’s up to him (and his family)
Absolutely agree with this, but with one edit:

... that’s up to him (and his family, and the Denver Pioneers).

If he had been in the 2018 NHL draft, I would have included the name of the NHL team that drafted him. Colleges and NHL teams have huge influence on whether a kid stays in high school or heads to USHL.
Agree.. and he would develop fine both ways but the business surrounding these talented - young kids kicks in.. It will be fun to follow him the next few years.

JerseyDave
Posts: 469
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:22 pm

Re: Blake Biondi added to NTDP roster for World U17 Hockey Challenge (Nov. 3-10)

Post by JerseyDave » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:47 am

MrBoDangles wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:57 pm
It will be fun to follow him the next few years.
Brink scored all three goals for Sioux City in a come-from-behind 3-2 win over Omaha last night. Bryce Brodzinski scored for Omaha:

"Bobby Brink scores hat trick to rally Muskies past Omaha"
https://siouxcityjournal.com/sports/hoc ... e2033.html

"A HAT TRICK FROM BOBBY BRINK LIFTS THE MUSKETEERS OVER THE LANCERS"
https://www.musketeershockey.com/news_a ... how/965382

Brink is still second in scoring in the USHL:
https://www.eliteprospects.com/league/u ... /2018-2019

Post Reply