Class A Preseason Rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Stang5280

Class A Preseason Rankings

Post by Stang5280 »

Since no one has started a single A rankings thread yet, I will go ahead and kick things off. Sorry, you’re not going to get the extensive write-up as with Karl’s rankings; these are mostly semi-educated guesses based on last year’s results and returning/departing players. So feel free to disagree or add any local knowledge regarding incoming classes.

1. Hermantown
2. Cathedral
3. Greenway
4. Mahtomedi
5. Alexandria
6. East Grand Forks
7. Orono
8. Warroad
9. Thief River Falls
10. Northfield

Honorable mentions (alphabetical order):
Monticello
Sartell
South St. Paul
Totino Grace
Virginia

A few takeaways from this exercise:
1. Class A is once again rather top-heavy (maybe more than ever), and the pickings are slim after about the #8 spot. I had a hard time filling out the last two slots.
2. The balance of power has shifted even more northward, with Sections 6, 7, and 8 dominating the rankings. Even the two metro teams in the top 10 have some serious questions after significant graduation and/or transfer losses.
3. Section 2, the former “section of death“, is now basically Orono’s to lose.
blueblood

Re: Class A Preseason Rankings

Post by blueblood »

Thanks Stang5280 for taking the time to put this together. You can take over for HSHockeyWatcher.
Play Like a Champion Today
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Thanks for getting this going, Stang. Tony says Mankato East should be somewhere on a watch list as well, which I'll buy given their youth success and State trip last season.

It is striking how few metro area teams appear to be real contenders at this point. Mahtomedi is the only sure contender, really. Orono has enough organizational depth that they probably won't go too far off the cliff, and I like the Northfield pick there (if one can even really consider them a metro team), but on paper this is a great season for the central and northern parts of the state. 7A and 6A have (deservedly) gotten a bunch of hype, but the 8A race intrigues me, too.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Good observation about the lack of Metro schools in the top ten. Seems like the privates have opted up or de-emphasized hockey. Think I’d put Sartell in place of Thief River. Know that Cathedral has some high end players but what kind of depth do they have? Have a feeling Alex will take them out again.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

I would put Greenway ahead of Cathedral. Greenway may not have the depth of Hermantown or the other AA programs they will face in the regular season but their top two lines should be wicked good. TV timeouts at Amsoil will be their best friend. Hopefully they can break through because this will be the State's last chance to see someone else from 7A at the X for at least the next seven years.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler »

karl(east) wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm Thanks for getting this going, Stang. Tony says Mankato East should be somewhere on a watch list as well, which I'll buy given their youth success and State trip last season.

It is striking how few metro area teams appear to be real contenders at this point. Mahtomedi is the only sure contender, really. Orono has enough organizational depth that they probably won't go too far off the cliff, and I like the Northfield pick there (if one can even really consider them a metro team), but on paper this is a great season for the central and northern parts of the state. 7A and 6A have (deservedly) gotten a bunch of hype, but the 8A race intrigues me, too.
8a will be weak again, with the title between EGF or Warroad.
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

Two teams I'm surprised to not see in A rankings:

Did Delano's talent level fall off a cliff this year? They had been a solid A team for a while.

How about SPA? I thought they were starting to build a consistent contender.
BP

Post by BP »

A few others to watch. Not saying they are top 10-15, but a few that could upset in sections/state:

Mankato East should be top 15 when it's all said and done
St. Paul Johnson
Litchfield-Dassel Cokato
Eveleth-Gilbert
Breck
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section by section
Section 1
1. Mankato East returning 3 D & 11 F (lost 6 from last year including goalie. If there is a question it is n the goal.
2 tie. Mankato West Lost 5 return 8 of top scoring. goal tending should be more than adequate
2 tie. Rochester Lourdes 6 of top 7 scorers including sound goal tender.

Section 2
1. Orono lost top 5 scorers and goalie. Good news is everyone else lost a lot also. But have 3 big D men coming back to build off. Zack Simon and Zack Adams should lead them back to the X
2. Breck should be the leading competition.
3 tie - Mound-Westonka, Delano, Minneapolis - they all lost a lot. And Providence who returns 3 good scorers.
Waconia should be a dark horse that could surprise any or some of the 5 above them.

Section 3
Luverne, Luverne, Luverne well not this year.
1. LItchfield led by Brandt Pederson and a host of other returnees and a solid ender and backup.
2. New Ulm should challenge based on returnee goal tender Jack Raymond.
Hutchinson, Luverne, and Marshall should follow in some order.

Section 4
1. TIE Mahtomedi - lost top scorer but have everyone back except goaltender
Northfield - return a lot PLUS their goaltender
3 Totino lost 3 players and 2 of 3 goalies but return in goal Jon Howe a big athletic with limited but solid experience.

Section 5
The experts pick Monticello but I think it is wide open.
1. Monticello but lost 5 of top 10 including 3 Dmen and their goalie.
1.5 Pine City lost 5 solid players but returns a good tender.
1.75 North Branch lost 4 of 7 top scorers, but good D and good goalie return.
2. Chisago Lakes 4 of top 10 scorers gone but 2goal tenders back
3 or 5. Princeton also returns a decent goalie and should be considered in the mix.

Section 6
Two team race and Sartell as a dark horse.
1. St Cloud Cathedral lost 3 good players but returns top 3 scoreres and 3 of 4 Dmen and strong goalie.
2. Alexandria returns top 3 scorers and top 2 Dmen and a good back-up goalie. And success breeds success.
3. Sartell returns a very good goalies, good Dmen and 3 of the top 10 scorer

Section 7
1. Hermantown What's not to like. Lost a cuple of studs but return a lot including a solid goalie. 198 points return.
Solid bantams JV players ready to fill in where needed.
2. Greenway What's not to like. Too bad second best team in the state is second best team in the secton.
3. Virginia lsoe 4 decent players including leading scorere but return solid D and a great goalie in Kribich wiht a solid backup Put them anywhere but 7A and they would make a solid run at the X and more.
4. Eveleth will be moe tha decent losing only 2 or 3 contributors from last year including their leading scorer but return strong D and tender.

Section 8
Again it s East Grand Forks, Warroad and Thief River Falls.
The fringe challengers in Detroit Lakes and Crookston lost a lot to graduation.
The top 3 always play a tough regualr season schedule so having a bettert than 500 record is a good showing. Last year EGF #2 strength of schedule for A's Warroad 16 and Thief River Falls 19.

1. East Grand Forks lost top 2 scorers return two top D but lost starting goalie but bacup last year is very capable. Their bantam's finished 3rd in Minnesota Hockey state last year.
2. Warroad lost 5 of top 10 scorers and retune no D with any experience. Returning capable backup goalie.
3. Thief River Falls lsot 4 of top 7 scorers return strong D but lost both of goalies.
Last edited by elliott70 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:39 am
karl(east) wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:44 pm Thanks for getting this going, Stang. Tony says Mankato East should be somewhere on a watch list as well, which I'll buy given their youth success and State trip last season.

Why pick on 8A? It will be in the better half of A sections. Last year they ended with 3 teams in the top 15 (Pagestat) and TRF went 2-1 at the state tournament. EGF brings in a nice crop of young players from bantams and I believe this group of Warroad kids had a runner up in youth hockey. If you want to say class A will be down as a whole I may go for that, but singling out 8A as weak I don't think is appropriate.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:16 am

Why pick on 8A? It will be in the better half of A sections. Last year they ended with 3 teams in the top 15 (Pagestat) and TRF went 2-1 at the state tournament. EGF brings in a nice crop of young players from bantams and I believe this group of Warroad kids had a runner up in youth hockey. If you want to say class A will be down as a whole I may go for that, but singling out 8A as weak I don't think is appropriate.
lol, "pick"? I live in the area so it's the section that interests me the most. It really is that simple. :roll: Since you brought up last year, as I've said before, last year the top three teams in the section were each barely above .500 on the year.
That is a very weak section any way you want to spin it, and it won't be much different this year. Regarding egf and Warroad, I know, hence my comment that those two will be in the title game.
But neither will be anything great. Unless Warroad pulls a Warroad before the season starts. :P
east hockey
Site Admin

Post by east hockey »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:30 am

lol, "pick"? I live in the area so it's the section that interests me the most. It really is that simple. :roll: Since you brought up last year, as I've said before, last year the top three teams in the section were each barely above .500 on the year.
That is a very weak section any way you want to spin it, and it won't be much different this year. Regarding egf and Warroad, I know, hence my comment that those two will be in the title game.
But neither will be anything great. Unless Warroad pulls a Warroad before the season starts. :P
TRF was 18-11-2 last year, hardly what would qualify as "barely above .500"

Lee
Message Board arsonist since 2005
Egomaniac since 2006
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am

Section 2
1. Orono lost top 5 scorers and goalie. Good news is everyone else lost a lot also. But have 3 big D men coming back to build off. Zack Simon and Zack Adams should lead them back to the X
3 tie - Mound-Westonka, Delano, Minneapolis - they all lost a lot.
Waconia should be a dark horse that could surprise any or some of the 5 above them.

I am not a boys hockey mind but didn't Providence pound Breck last year? Unless they added a bunch I dont see a big difference between Breck and Providence and the field beyond Orono.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

massalsa wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:53 am
elliott70 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am

Section 2
3 tie - Mound-Westonka, Delano, Minneapolis - they all lost a lot.

I am not a boys hockey mind but didn't Providence pound Breck last year? Unless they added a bunch I dont see a big difference between Breck and Providence and the field beyond Orono.
I am sure I did not pay enough attention to Providence.
Procidence has 3 good scorers returning, no D and a decent goalie, little D returning.

Breck lost 8 or 9 seniors and the balance was very young.
I would leave them where they are but add Providence to the mix of those at #3.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

My top 15
1 Hermantown
2 Greenway
3 St Cloud Cathedral
4 Alexandria
5 East Grand Forks

6 Orono
7 Mahtomedi
8 Warroad
9 Northfield
10 Thief River Falls

11 Monticello
12 Mankato East
13 Litchfield
14 Virginia
15 tie Eveleth and Rochester Lourdes
Goose21

Post by Goose21 »

EGF, Warroad, and TRF are likely top 10 teams in A. While it may be a bit of a down year by 8A standards, it is certainly not a "weak" section. With those 3 teams 8A is 3rd or 4th strongest section.
Forecheck, Backcheck, Paycheck
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

rainier2 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:06 am Two teams I'm surprised to not see in A rankings:

Did Delano's talent level fall off a cliff this year? They had been a solid A team for a while.

How about SPA? I thought they were starting to build a consistent contender.
Delano is going to be in tough shape this year... Pino transfer to HF last year and graduation of stud goalie Hjelle puts them in rebuilding mode. Hjelle was their backbone and Delano played a tight defensive style last year. The two top scorers by far from last year graduated, so goals are going to be tough to come by.

SPA had their few years in the sun, and then crashed and burned last year (4-21 record, though one win was over Breck, ugh). Graduation, early departures, and coaching drama all combined for a nightmare season. We’ll see if they can return to relevance, but it will be an uphill battle.
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:18 am Section 6
Two team race and Sartell as a dark horse.
1. St Cloud Cathedral lost 3 good players but returns top 3 scoreres and 3 of 4 Dmen and strong goalie.
2. Alexandria returns top 3 scorers and top 2 Dmen and a good back-up goalie. And success breeds success.
3. Sartell returns a very good goalies, good Dmen and 3 of the top 10 scorer
Are you forgetting that Alex graduated Jack Powell, THE SINGLE GREATEST DEFENSEMAN IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND (at least according to the state tournament announcers)?!

That bit of snark aside, thanks to Elliott for the detailed sectional breakdown, which was my next order of business today before you beat me to the punch.

Also, as many have pointed out, I totally missed the boat on Mankato East. I pretty much blocked Section 1 out of my mind when doing the rankings, but in retrospect they belong in that 10-15 range. If Northfield wasn’t stupidly moved out of that section it would be an interesting race.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

Just taking records without the context of the schedule is a poor way to judge teams. If we did that LOW would be the best team from 8A last year with a record of 16-5-3. Using a rating system like Pagestat (while not perfect) that does take this into account is far superior. Using Pagestat 8A had 3 of the top 13 teams in the final ranking. This is a higher representation than average (23% 8A compared to 12.5% average). Their representative at state last year (TRF) lost a one goal game with Alex (runner up) and then won their last two games by a combined score of 8-1. Hardly a poor showing. I realize there isn't an 03-05 Warroad or 14-15 EGF in the mix, but this is still a better than average section. I'm not even a fan of any of the teams. I am just familiar with the area and age group and characterizing 8A as weak compared to other A sections is just incorrect.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:16 pm

Just taking records without the context of the schedule is a poor way to judge teams. If we did that LOW would be the best team from 8A last year with a record of 16-5-3. Using a rating system like Pagestat (while not perfect) that does take this into account is far superior. Using Pagestat 8A had 3 of the top 13 teams in the final ranking. This is a higher representation than average (23% 8A compared to 12.5% average). Their representative at state last year (TRF) lost a one goal game with Alex (runner up) and then won their last two games by a combined score of 8-1. Hardly a poor showing. I realize there isn't an 03-05 Warroad or 14-15 EGF in the mix, but this is still a better than average section. I'm not even a fan of any of the teams. I am just familiar with the area and age group and characterizing 8A as weak compared to other A sections is just incorrect.
I don't need results or some computer program or any other spin you come up with. I see the teams actually play. Novel idea, eh ? Every year. For many years. Good enough for you ? Barely over .500 is barely over .500. Period.
TRF goalie last year stole many games for them, including the sections, including at state. He's gone. For starters.

You also need to stop putting words in my mouth, as you're not very good at it. I said 8a will be weak again. It will be.
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 pm

I don't need results or some computer program or any other spin you come up with. I see the teams actually play. Novel idea, eh ? Every year. For many years. Good enough for you ? Barely over .500 is barely over .500. Period.
TRF goalie last year stole many games for them, including the sections, including at state. He's gone. For starters.

You also need to stop putting words in my mouth, as you're not very good at it. I said 8a will be weak again. It will be.
You don’t need results? Hahahahaha. Wow some people can’t be reasoned with. I’m surprised you’re watching these games and not flying all over the country scouting for the NHL. Such a bonafide hockey mind ought to be.

But seriously you’re not the only one on the forum that watches hockey games. I’ve see all of these kids play as well. And they match up just fine with other A schools.

And you are wrong all records are not created equally. Especially when some A schools play more AA teams than others. To think otherwise is illogical. Also a goalie is a player that is a part of the team. You can’t just cut him out of the picture.

Also, what words did I put in your mouth? When you say the word “again” you imply that it was weak in the past. I disagreed. Am I missing something?

I am going to have to hang it up on this topic. It is hard to argue with people that think they are smarter than results and logic.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

In 1A Minnesota River return a lot, they played eventual 1A champs East well last year. They play a largely 3A schedule due to conference commitments but they are my early pick in 1A.
zamboniexhaustinhaler

7TIMECHAMPS wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:44 pm
zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:14 pm

You don’t need results? Hahahahaha. Wow some people can’t be reasoned with. I’m surprised you’re watching these games and not flying all over the country scouting for the NHL. Such a bonafide hockey mind ought to be.

But seriously you’re not the only one on the forum that watches hockey games. I’ve see all of these kids play as well. And they match up just fine with other A schools.

And you are wrong all records are not created equally. Especially when some A schools play more AA teams than others. To think otherwise is illogical. Also a goalie is a player that is a part of the team. You can’t just cut him out of the picture.

Also, what words did I put in your mouth? When you say the word “again” you imply that it was weak in the past. I disagreed. Am I missing something?

I am going to have to hang it up on this topic. It is hard to argue with people that think they are smarter than results and logic.
Sorry ace, you're the one who stated "Just taking records...." so if you have a problem with me saying the same thing you did, look in the mirror.

And yes, the top three teams barely above .500 shows it was "weak in the past". Your statement "It is hard to argue with people that think they are smarter than results and logic." is something you should pay attention to.
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

I can't speak for Warroad and TRF, but, even though EGF had a slightly higher than .500 record last year, they did play a pretty tough Class A schedule including 2 wins over Alexandria, a very close loss to Orono, and a strong win over SCC.
They play Orono, Delano, Totino Grace, and SCC early this year, so that may tell a lot about this year's team.
Last year, early in the season, they also lost a top player in Landon Parker that did not help.
If he is back this year, (I am not sure, because he was on the North elite team, played 1 game, and was out again with an injury), then EGF should be a pretty strong class A team.
Also, they had a strong Bantam team last year, that may contribute.

We will see. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
What is a Green Wave anyway?
TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster »

By the way, thanks for doing this Stang! :D
What is a Green Wave anyway?