Class A Preseason Rankings

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

7TIMECHAMPS

Re: Class A Preseason Rankings

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 am

zamboniexhaustinhaler wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:35 am
east hockey wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:51 am
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:30 am

lol, "pick"? I live in the area so it's the section that interests me the most. It really is that simple. :roll: Since you brought up last year, as I've said before, last year the top three teams in the section were each barely above .500 on the year.
That is a very weak section any way you want to spin it, and it won't be much different this year. Regarding egf and Warroad, I know, hence my comment that those two will be in the title game.
But neither will be anything great. Unless Warroad pulls a Warroad before the season starts. :P
TRF was 18-11-2 last year, hardly what would qualify as "barely above .500"

Lee
I meant the regular seasons, seeing as two of the three didn't have the same amount of games.
Why would the playoffs not count? Other than because it disproves what you said.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:37 am

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:02 am
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:44 am
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:12 am

Read your post. Explain to me how you meant anything different than what I said. Maybe you just don’t understand what you say? I am not sure. I will summarize again what you said which is that you don’t need results or computerized rankings because you have watched the teams and have a better understanding than the results or rankings would suggest. Which of course is ludacris.

Why don’t you explain the gaps in my logic? All you do is say that I put words in your mouth and turn what I said back to me. It’s like arguing with a little kid.
Thanks for proving my point.

I said "I see the teams actually play." I did not say ...."watch so much hockey that you know more than anyone else does."

I said " I don't need results" which was actually agreeing with your LOW reference and nothing to do with your point above, but you're to obtuse to notice that. You said ..."don’t need results to prove a team is good?"

Adding your words onto my statement both times. It's called putting words in my mouth. And again I agree with you about something ! It is like arguing with a little kid, but don't be so hard on yourself.
Good grief

So why don’t you explain the point you were trying to make when you said “I see teams actually play. Novel idea, eh? Every year. For many years.” To me it sounds like you are saying that your analysis is more accurate than results or computerized rankings. And I added the “watch so much hockey” piece because I though that was the point you were making with the “every year. For many years” If not trying to point out that you watch a lot of hockey what point were you making by saying that? Is there any other way to interpret this statement as a whole?

My LOW reference was making the point that having a good record (16-5) or a record “barely over .500” doesn’t necessarily prove anything. You need the SOS context. You said “.500 is .500. Period” I say that is not logical.

Im sorry just any way you spin the “I don’t need results comment” doesn’t make sense. Results are what it is all about. Period.
It means exactly what it says. I watch the teams. Period. But for someone who can't help themselves from putting words in people's mouth, I can see how you're confused by the obvious.

Results are what it is all about. That's why three teams with barely over .500 results are nothing special. More of that obvious stuff that confuses you I guess.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:39 am

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 am
east hockey wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:51 am

TRF was 18-11-2 last year, hardly what would qualify as "barely above .500"

Lee
I meant the regular seasons, seeing as two of the three didn't have the same amount of games.
Why would the playoffs not count? Other than because it disproves what you said.
The answer is in my reply. Make it easy for you; it's right after the word "seasons".

p.s. I'm off to enjoy the day. See ya when I see ya.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:46 am

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:39 am
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:08 am

The answer is in my reply. Make it easy for you; it's right after the word "seasons".

p.s. I'm off to enjoy the day. See ya when I see ya.
Oh right not every team goes to the state tournament so obviously those games are essentially meaningless.

7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:08 am

Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:37 am
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:44 am

Thanks for proving my point.

I said "I see the teams actually play." I did not say ...."watch so much hockey that you know more than anyone else does."

I said " I don't need results" which was actually agreeing with your LOW reference and nothing to do with your point above, but you're to obtuse to notice that. You said ..."don’t need results to prove a team is good?"

Adding your words onto my statement both times. It's called putting words in my mouth. And again I agree with you about something ! It is like arguing with a little kid, but don't be so hard on yourself.
Good grief

So why don’t you explain the point you were trying to make when you said “I see teams actually play. Novel idea, eh? Every year. For many years.” To me it sounds like you are saying that your analysis is more accurate than results or computerized rankings. And I added the “watch so much hockey” piece because I though that was the point you were making with the “every year. For many years” If not trying to point out that you watch a lot of hockey what point were you making by saying that? Is there any other way to interpret this statement as a whole?

My LOW reference was making the point that having a good record (16-5) or a record “barely over .500” doesn’t necessarily prove anything. You need the SOS context. You said “.500 is .500. Period” I say that is not logical.

Im sorry just any way you spin the “I don’t need results comment” doesn’t make sense. Results are what it is all about. Period.
It means exactly what it says. I watch the teams. Period. But for someone who can't help themselves from putting words in people's mouth, I can see how you're confused by the obvious.

Results are what it is all about. That's why three teams with barely over .500 results are nothing special. More of that obvious stuff that confuses you I guess.
That doesn’t make sense. You can’t provide any evidence to support the statement “8A will be weak again”. You said you actually watch the teams and that is how you reached that conclusion. I assume (and I don’t want to put words in your mouth) since you are sticking to that point that you weigh more heavily your own hockey mind than scores or computerized/polled rankings. I say that’s foolish and that you must really think you’re something (hence the NHL scout reference). Maybe if you could explain what you meant it’d make more sense (other than essentially it means nothing?).

Again SOS. I know it’s a difficult concept so I won’t try explain it again.

Yeah that would be a good idea to take some time off. I will probably try once again to hang it up on this subject. It is difficult arguing with people that can’t understand simple concepts or explain their reasoning. I may even look like a fool for trying to reason with you. After your break I wouldn’t mind seeing your class A section rankings, however. I will be due for a good laugh by this weekend.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:58 pm

7TIMECHAMPS wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:08 am
Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:37 am
7TIMECHAMPS wrote:

Good grief

That doesn’t make sense. You can’t provide any evidence to support the statement “8A will be weak again”. You said you actually watch the teams and that is how you reached that conclusion. I assume (and I don’t want to put words in your mouth) since you are sticking to that point that you weigh more heavily your own hockey mind than scores or computerized/polled rankings. I say that’s foolish and that you must really think you’re something (hence the NHL scout reference). Maybe if you could explain what you meant it’d make more sense (other than essentially it means nothing?).

Again SOS. I know it’s a difficult concept so I won’t try explain it again.

Yeah that would be a good idea to take some time off. I will probably try once again to hang it up on this subject. It is difficult arguing with people that can’t understand simple concepts or explain their reasoning. I may even look like a fool for trying to reason with you. After your break I wouldn’t mind seeing your class A section rankings, however. I will be due for a good laugh by this weekend.

Hiya 7. My, my, such angst and temper in your posts. Anyway, you state you don't want to put words in my mouth yet proceed to do just that for the rest of the paragraph. You know what they say about "assume". Speaking of sos.....
Though to be fair, you did change your "strength of schedule" matters argument, to the above "Results are what it is all about. Period." argument. Makes it hard to follow the flip-flopping though.
Have a good rest of the day, but watch that blood pressure.

USA218

Post by USA218 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:31 pm

EGF beats Orono 3-1
TRF beats Delano 5-1

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:30 pm

USA218 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:31 pm
EGF beats Orono 3-1
TRF beats Delano 5-1
Watched the TRF game. They played well, especially first game. But Delano is brutal, goalie had a very bad night.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:30 pm
USA218 wrote:
EGF beats Orono 3-1
TRF beats Delano 5-1
Watched the TRF game. They played well, especially first game. But Delano is brutal, goalie had a very bad night.
EGF-Orono was super chippy. EGF generally carried play and created better scoring chances, particularly on the PP. They did a nice job of killing off a major early in the 2nd, which could have really changed momentum. EGF’s 2nd and 3rd line players from last year stepped up nicely and picked up the slack from losing their top scorers.

I didn’t see the other game, but thanks for the insights. Sounds like Delano may be in for a rough year.

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:33 pm
Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:30 pm
USA218 wrote:
EGF beats Orono 3-1
TRF beats Delano 5-1
EGF-Orono was super chippy. EGF generally carried play and created better scoring chances, particularly on the PP. They did a nice job of killing off a major early in the 2nd, which could have really changed momentum. EGF’s 2nd and 3rd line players from last year stepped up nicely and picked up the slack from losing their top scorers.

I didn’t see the other game, but thanks for the insights. Sounds like Delano may be in for a rough year.
Likewise. Sounds like EGF may have some depth.

USA218

Post by USA218 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:23 am
USA218 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 am
Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:30 am

lol, "pick"? I live in the area so it's the section that interests me the most. It really is that simple. :roll: Since you brought up last year, as I've said before, last year the top three teams in the section were each barely above .500 on the year.
That is a very weak section any way you want to spin it, and it won't be much different this year. Regarding egf and Warroad, I know, hence my comment that those two will be in the title game.
But neither will be anything great. Unless Warroad pulls a Warroad before the season starts. :P
Something to keep in mind with many top 8A schools and their ".500 records": Their strength of schedule is very strong. Many play GF Central (who have lost one game the past two years), GF Red River, Moorhead, Bemidji, Roseau. I believe EGF plays all those schools 2x/year. You may knock ND High School hockey, but those Grand Forks schools are as good as many of the AA schools in the metro. Record is only a good indicator when looking at strength of schedule.
Many of the losses by all three teams were not to good teams. And we'll have to disagree with equating GF schools as good as AA metros.
Central just beat Orono 10-0....I'll stand by my opinion that Central is as good as many Metro AA schools

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:29 pm

In any given year, either Central or Red River or both, would be competitive in the Minnesota AA state tournament.

That is a fact
What is a Green Wave anyway?

zamboniexhaustinhaler

Post by zamboniexhaustinhaler » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:49 am

USA218 wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:00 pm
Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:23 am
USA218 wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 am

Something to keep in mind with many top 8A schools and their ".500 records": Their strength of schedule is very strong. Many play GF Central (who have lost one game the past two years), GF Red River, Moorhead, Bemidji, Roseau. I believe EGF plays all those schools 2x/year. You may knock ND High School hockey, but those Grand Forks schools are as good as many of the AA schools in the metro. Record is only a good indicator when looking at strength of schedule.
Many of the losses by all three teams were not to good teams. And we'll have to disagree with equating GF schools as good as AA metros.
Central just beat Orono 10-0....I'll stand by my opinion that Central is as good as many Metro AA schools
Of course, Orono is not even close to the Orono of last year and one game does not a season make. Nothing wrong with having differing opinions though.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:00 am

My top 15
Not much to go on since preseason but what the heck

1 Hermantown 0-0-0
2 Greenway 1-0-0
3 St Cloud Cathedral 0-0-0
4 Alexandria 0-0-0
5 East Grand Forks 2-0-0

6 Thief River Falls 1-1-0
7 Mahtomedi 0-0-0
8 Warroad 0-0-0
9 Northfield 0-0-0
10 Mankato East 0-0-0

11 Orono 0-2-0
12 Virginia 1-0-0
13 Monticello 1-0-0
14 Litchfield
15 tie Eveleth 1-1-0 and Rochester Lourdes 0-1-0

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:01 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:29 pm
In any given year, either Central or Red River or both, would be competitive in the Minnesota AA state tournament.

That is a fact
Whoa man, we need a warning before dropping a scorching hot take like that! My eyes are burning :lol: Not that I totally disagree with you, but probably not a popular opinion on here to compare top ND teams to their MN counterparts.

TTpuckster

Post by TTpuckster » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:28 am

Ha, Stang,

Just curious, what do you know about GF hockey? 8)
What is a Green Wave anyway?

USA218

Post by USA218 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 am

One thing regarding Orono this past weekend: during starting lineups, their entire team (coaches included) turned their backs to the opposing teams while they were being announced. I didn't like that.....came across as cocky and disrespectful. Maybe I'm "old school", but I don't think there is a place for that in hockey. I understand fans doing it, but not players & coaches.

1excg

Post by 1excg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:17 am

WTH? What’s this about? I don’t know what’s behind this- initial thoughts are this behavior is sad & disappointing. Please enlighten us if there’s justification.
USA218 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 am
One thing regarding Orono this past weekend: during starting lineups, their entire team (coaches included) turned their backs to the opposing teams while they were being announced. I didn't like that.....came across as cocky and disrespectful. Maybe I'm "old school", but I don't think there is a place for that in hockey. I understand fans doing it, but not players & coaches.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:38 am

USA218 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:52 am
Perhaps they were turning to face the flag for the national anthem????
I hope that is what it was...

USA218

Post by USA218 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:45 am

The flag was at the opposite end they were facing (would have to face the opposing players to see the flag). I thought that may be it initially, but quickly figured out that was not their intention.

1excg

Post by 1excg » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:51 am

I so hope that’s the reality. Thanks elliot for logical reasoning …

RE-upping WTH!? in light of usa218 additional post.

Sure hope someone from Orono contributes info about this.

On the heels of Sat’s edina v tonka scrimmage & player/coaches hugs thru the handshake line.

And few players from both teams dropped a knee & had a quick prayer huddle on the ice- most likely giving thanks & gratitude.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:22 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:01 pm
TTpuckster wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:29 pm

That is a fact
Whoa man, we need a warning before dropping a scorching hot take like that! My eyes are burning :lol: Not that I totally disagree with you, but probably not a popular opinion on here to compare top ND teams to their MN counterparts.
Brother that is a fact! Majority of, er "gopher fans" wouldn't understand. :P :wink:

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:25 pm

TTpuckster wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:28 am
Ha, Stang,

Just curious, what do you know about GF hockey? 8)
A bit of a belated reply, but I’m certainly not an expert on GF hockey. I just know that Red River and Central win against EGF and Warroad more often than not, and they have produced a fair number of D1 players.

I have more direct knowledge of Fargo Davies from the Marshall tournament. Davies looked great on video in their two games this year, and multiple people from Breck said that Davies was right up there with Moorhead in terms of talent last year (and Davies finished fourth at state). The top ND teams are definitely no slouches.