Lumberjacks depth in 7AA

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Northernlakes

Lumberjacks depth in 7AA

Post by Northernlakes »

How is the depth of the jacks compared to other 7 AA clubs?

How deep is the D now that everything is settling in place? Is that East transfer staying in the top 4 on D ?
karl(east)

Re: Lumberjacks depth in 7AA

Post by karl(east) »

The good news for Cloquet: between what they've got coming back and coming up, they'll have no trouble filling out at least two good lines, perhaps a third. The bad news: their two rivals for the 7AA crown are on the very short list of teams that are deeper. Andover returns a ton of talent up and down the roster, and East returns a healthy chunk and enjoys program depth that will allow them to simply reload. And with all due respect to Landon Langenbrunner, they don't have a Ryder Donovan-type single presence or a great one-two punch like Scohen and Dainty that could lead their top-end talent to overcome another team's depth.

With Stoyanoff I think they would have an edge on defense over East, but without him that isn't really the case. Not sure who will round out the blue line corps beyond Acers and Mason Langenbrunner. Andover is the deepest of the bunch on D, while East probably has the best top pair in the section but drops off somewhat after that.

The Jacks are very close to Andover and East, but I struggle to name a single category where they're better than either one on paper. They're probably capable of closing that gap with good development and smart coaching, but there are just a few more questions here than with the others.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Hearing Stoy rehab going very well. Back sooner than expected?
kniven

Post by kniven »

It’s interesting that CEC hasn’t been this deep in.......well they’ve never been this deep. And too say we’ve only got 2 above average lines. That’s scary. If we can’t have 3 /4 lines deep this year? Then it will never happen. What the heck we doing in AA. When in our best year, pre-season on paper, Greenway and Hermantown are deeper. 😳
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
kniven

Post by kniven »

Dayne is hoping to be back by the playoffs and Juniors somewhere in the spring. Only he knows how he’s feeling. It seems Walters has left a roster spot open for him and nobody has his jersey number....
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

kniven wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:02 pm It’s interesting that CEC hasn’t been this deep in.......well they’ve never been this deep. And too say we’ve only got 2 above average lines. That’s scary. If we can’t have 3 /4 lines deep this year? Then it will never happen. What the heck we doing in AA. When in our best year, pre-season on paper, Greenway and Hermantown are deeper. 😳
Kniven, you’ve got to expand your framework (regarding depth) to back before you came on the scene in 2009...Cloquet has had some plenty deep teams pre 2009. They will be good this year, a key will be their goalie, if they already have one, or one emerges, the Jacks are capable of beating a lot of good teams (including the Hounds, whom they play twice) ☝️
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

hockey59 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pmKniven, you’ve got to expand your framework (regarding depth) to back before you came on the scene in 2009...Cloquet has had some plenty deep teams pre 2009.
59, I was thinking they must have been pretty deep the year they made the single-class state tournament even though Corey Millen was injured in Sections.
Be kind. Rewind.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

I’m assuming Carlson is the full time with no debate starting goalie. He had a good year last year at .902 and 2.4 GAA. Against a pretty good schedule , especially Deast games. I was a bit surprised he wasn’t an Elite League selection finalist . Don’t know where he played in the preseason
Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 »

O-townClown wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:57 pm
hockey59 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pmKniven, you’ve got to expand your framework (regarding depth) to back before you came on the scene in 2009...Cloquet has had some plenty deep teams pre 2009.
59, I was thinking they must have been pretty deep the year they made the single-class state tournament even though Corey Millen was injured in Sections.
I would add the 92-93 teams, which had star power on the first line and D pairing, and could roll out two more lines that were more than capable.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

hockey59 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pm
kniven wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:02 pm It’s interesting that CEC hasn’t been this deep in.......well they’ve never been this deep. And too say we’ve only got 2 above average lines. That’s scary. If we can’t have 3 /4 lines deep this year? Then it will never happen. What the heck we doing in AA. When in our best year, pre-season on paper, Greenway and Hermantown are deeper. 😳
Kniven, you’ve got to expand your framework (regarding depth) to back before you came on the scene in 2009...Cloquet has had some plenty deep teams pre 2009. They will be good this year, a key will be their goalie, if they already have one, or one emerges, the Jacks are capable of beating a lot of good teams (including the Hounds, whom they play twice) ☝️
That's asking entirely too much.
The U invented swagger.
kniven

Post by kniven »

WestMetro wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 am I’m assuming Carlson is the full time with no debate starting goalie. He had a good year last year at .902 and 2.4 GAA. Against a pretty good schedule , especially Deast games. I was a bit surprised he wasn’t an Elite League selection finalist . Don’t know where he played in the preseason
Yep
kniven

Post by kniven »

Goldy Gopher wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:55 pm
hockey59 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:36 pm
That's asking entirely too much.
😳 🤓 🤔
Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes »

Heard from someone inside the East transfer was between 5-8 of D depth chart. Cannot be 100 % sure just yet.
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Northernlakes wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm Heard from someone inside the East transfer was between 5-8 of D depth chart. Cannot be 100 % sure just yet.
*hot take alert*

EDIT: You essentially said "I'm not sure where he'll fall on the depth chart, but I'm not 100% sure." Not even Miss Cleo is as redundant, however her prognostications may be more accurate.
The U invented swagger.
Northernlakes

Post by Northernlakes »

" Hot take alert "......

What I said was this is what I heard, but we shall see. Don't be one of those rodents. [-X
Goldy Gopher

Post by Goldy Gopher »

Northernlakes wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:59 pm " Hot take alert "......

What I said was this is what I heard, but we shall see. Don't be one of those rodents. [-X
If being a rodent means being skeptical of your "sources," when you qualify your information (redundantly) with the fact that you are unsure if what you're saying is true. . .

Then I'm a rodent through and through.
The U invented swagger.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Not only has CEC lost Stoyanoff for the season, but also Thomas Porter. 2 very skilled, big defensemen. And both seniors. 😕. Both played AA youth hockey throughout.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Northernlakes wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:58 pm Heard from someone inside the East transfer was between 5-8 of D depth chart. Cannot be 100 % sure just yet.
Translate to 1955 english? :P
O-townClown

Post by O-townClown »

kniven wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:36 pm Not only has CEC lost Stoyanoff for the season, but also Thomas Porter. 2 very skilled, big defensemen. And both seniors. 😕. Both played AA youth hockey throughout.
Nooooo! That royally sucks. I was looking forward to seeing him play this weekend. Boo.

Certainly tests the depth.
Be kind. Rewind.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

What happened to Porter? Out for the season?
kniven

Post by kniven »

Section 8 guy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:52 am What happened to Porter? Out for the season?

Porter got a concussion during captains practice. I talked to him. He’s having a lot of issues, and he decided to call it done. He’s managing this year.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

Sorry to hear that for all involved. Very good player. Good luck to him.