YHH HS Hockey Podcast, 11/26/18

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

YHH HS Hockey Podcast, 11/26/18

Post by karl(east) »

On the latest edition...

-Comments on early surprises, etc.
-We recap big games so far, including the Opener and Turkey Trot
-We go over a bunch of things that people tend to highlight as important to a team's success (youth program, coaching, D-I talent, etc. etc.) and talk about whether they're overrated or underrated
-Previews of big games ahead (and there are lots of them)
-Karl holds strong opinions despite having watched zero games so far
-Tony calls Blake a "Cinderella"
-Danny...just is Danny

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/971773

Thanks for listening!
kniven

Re: YHH HS Hockey Podcast, 11/26/18

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:11 pm On the latest edition...

-Comments on early surprises, etc.
-We recap big games so far, including the Opener and Turkey Trot
-We go over a bunch of things that people tend to highlight as important to a team's success (youth program, coaching, D-I talent, etc. etc.) and talk about whether they're overrated or underrated
-Previews of big games ahead (and there are lots of them)
-Karl holds strong opinions despite having watched zero games so far
-Tony calls Blake a "Cinderella"
-Danny...just is Danny

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_article/show/971773

Thanks for listening!
“Wood chippers in Cloquet’s Barn locker room”. “The are the Lumberjacks “. I was chuckling pretty good! Nice show once again boys!
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Another excellent show!
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

It was another excellent show! The only thing I’ll take issue about (with Danny) is his assessment of the STA-TONKA game. While granted, McFadden & a couple other STA players couldn’t play due to Football 🏈 committments last week...but to characterize the 4-1 loss by STA as “closer than the score indicated” is simply wishful sentiment (or hogwash) 😉 I arrived at the arena late in the 1st period, just around the time Tonka made it 2-0. And while STA had a brief stretch of pressure in the 2nd period & scored their lone goal, once Bayless made it 3-1 it was game over. STA barely got any pressure on Tonka in the 3rd period & TONKA had most of the scoring chances & puck possession...to cap off a 4-1 win. STA (missing the football players) still skated well, but their passing wasn’t in the same zip code as Tonka (albeit) one game in. ☝️🏒
SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 »

hockey59 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:31 pm It was another excellent show! The only thing I’ll take issue about (with Danny) is his assessment of the STA-TONKA game. While granted, McFadden & a couple other STA players couldn’t play due to Football 🏈 committments last week...but to characterize the 4-1 loss by STA as “closer than the score indicated” is simply wishful sentiment (or hogwash) 😉 I arrived at the arena late in the 1st period, just around the time Tonka made it 2-0. And while STA had a brief stretch of pressure in the 2nd period & scored their lone goal, once Bayless made it 3-1 it was game over. STA barely got any pressure on Tonka in the 3rd period & TONKA had most of the scoring chances & puck possession...to cap off a 4-1 win. STA (missing the football players) still skated well, but their passing wasn’t in the same zip code as Tonka (albeit) one game in. ☝️🏒
I think that STA skated with them for periods 1 & 2 and then by the third when they were missing 3 forwards and the depth of Tonka came through. I evaluated the game as it being similar to the Tonka/STA match ups that happened last season, very fast neutral zone play and odd rushes on both sides. I think that STA played very much as I expected given the players on the ice Friday.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Some of my take aways on this game, many covered in the podcast and by others

1) Tonka 2nd and 3rd lines performed better offensively than I expected , compared to what I saw from several of them last year and most of them in elite league this fall. They really all stepped it up this weekend. Just look at the scoring balance for the two games.

2) Tremendous Tonka forecheck by all lines. Must have been a specific blitzkrieg game plan which worked well with their speed , quickness and depth.

3) Really fun to watch Luedtke individual talent and discipline. Dont think I saw a position error or breakout pass error in the two games. And carries the puck in just enough , but not too much, both equally important.

4) Whether is was the capts or Goldy or both, they were really ready and motivated for this game. Not easy with loss of Brink, and also integrating all the personalities old and new

5) STA seemed a second or two and a foot or two behind on individual stick handling and on breakout and neutral ice passes, even on their first line, but especially on the next groups. No wonder- being the first game, with the Tonka quickness, and also STA missing some people. Suspect this will improve quickly with full STA complement and another week or two under their belt.

6) Especially against top teams, STA needs to deploy D size advantage more frequently and effectively, but stay out of the box in doing so.

7) Donahue got the No. 1 star IMHO, for keeping STA in the game, with a 30 SOG disadvantage and under tremendous pressure for 2 or 2/ 1/2 periods. (But, The thought also crossed my mind, that perhaps without Brink the Tonka offense wasnt as capable of burying the puck, since score could have easily been running time?)

8) Based on what I saw at BIG in person, and results at PIC , no doubt Tonka clear #1 at this point, instead of Edina who I had ranked #1 in my preseason, although Edina missing 3 seniors.

9) STA wont drop much in rankings at this point, will know more after seeing Chaska/Blake , and EP/CDH this week.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

EXCELLENT detailed analysis by West Metro (above) ☝️
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

Hmm-
I think Tony was the only one that picked The Spuds???
They should be close to top 10 -if Centennial holds on against Maple Grove
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

...MN hockey hub just changed it to Centennial vs Osseo.....did have it showing Maple Grove
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:56 pm Hmm-
I think Tony was the only one that picked The Spuds???
They should be close to top 10 -if Centennial holds on against Maple Grove
Yeah, my first date with Brainerd did not go well. Time to get off that bandwagon!

Two strong results so far suggest the Spuds definitely deserve a top 15 spot, and maybe more as other teams move around in this first week.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

A bit surprised about the lack of positive feedback for Tonka outside of saying they deserve to hold onto the #1 spot. Yes perhaps the win against STA is not that shiny given the roster shortcomings STA had, but they also beat LVN (who shouldn't be taken lightly) 4-0 with a disparity in SOG of 44-12. 11 different players already have points after only 2 games with 6 of them being new and I doubt they've peaked already. :P

I do agree though that unless Blake and Moorhead start clicking their schedule is otherwise a snooze until they play CEQ December 27th.
SquirtC'00

Post by SquirtC'00 »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:46 am A bit surprised about the lack of positive feedback for Tonka outside of saying they deserve to hold onto the #1 spot. Yes perhaps the win against STA is not that shiny given the roster shortcomings STA had, but they also beat LVN (who shouldn't be taken lightly) 4-0 with a disparity in SOG of 44-12. 11 different players already have points after only 2 games with 6 of them being new and I doubt they've peaked already. :P

I do agree though that unless Blake and Moorhead start clicking their schedule is otherwise a snooze until they play CEQ December 27th.

Remember L North was without some key players for that game as well. I think Tonka looked good and deep at all levels which is evident by the point distribution but I want to see them again before I can completely judge this team. The game I saw they got stuck at times in playing STA's half court style which I don't expect that they will maintain throughout the season. Couple of positive takeaways were the top D pair is elite and can kill a lot of time out there, the fowards look very strong, and Glock is healthy and full form.

I do have to disagree with the Blake and Moorhead comment as I feel both of those teams are ahead of Cloquet. Having seen Blake last night, they are very fast and have some very skilled players at key positions like #4 and #20. As for Moorhead, by the looks of their box scores this team looks to be actually legit and the front runner in 8AA right now.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Slap Shot wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:46 am A bit surprised about the lack of positive feedback for Tonka outside of saying they deserve to hold onto the #1 spot. Yes perhaps the win against STA is not that shiny given the roster shortcomings STA had, but they also beat LVN (who shouldn't be taken lightly) 4-0 with a disparity in SOG of 44-12. 11 different players already have points after only 2 games with 6 of them being new and I doubt they've peaked already. :P

Moorhead's schedule - I disagree about it being a snooze.
at Andover L 3-2 F/OT
at Brainerd W 5-1 F
vs. Buffalo
at Roseau
at Benilde-St. Margaret's
at Minnetonka
at Greenway/Nash-Kee
at Grand Rapids
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

And looking at Blake it is not an easy schedule either.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

This is Cloquet and is a bit easier than the other two..

Lakeville North,
St. Thomas Academy
Chaska
vs. White Bear Lake
at Bloomington Jefferson
at Eagan
at Duluth East
vs. Hibbing/Chisholm
vs. Eastview
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

elliott70 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:43 pm

Moorhead's schedule - I disagree about it being a snooze.
at Andover L 3-2 F/OT
at Brainerd W 5-1 F
vs. Buffalo
at Roseau
at Benilde-St. Margaret's
at Minnetonka
at Greenway/Nash-Kee
at Grand Rapids
It was reference to Tonka's schedule (made during the podcast), not Blake and Moorhead.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Oh, misinterpreted.