Junior gold rosters

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

kniven

Junior gold rosters

Post by kniven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Where would someone find junior gold rosters. Cloquet has a team this year, and I can’t find a roster. Duluth and Rapids too...
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

elliott70

Re: Junior gold rosters

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:35 pm

The local association's web pages.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:08 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:35 pm
The local association's web pages.

I tried. No luck. They are blank. Oh well.....

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 pm

Typically Jr. gold gets started a bit later than high school.
Give it another week, then send a note to coach, team manager or registrar.

kniven

Post by kniven » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:33 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:27 pm
Typically Jr. gold gets started a bit later than high school.
Give it another week, then send a note to coach, team manager or registrar.

Thanks Elliott

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:07 pm

I never knew how entertaining this level was until a few years ago.. We had a little crossover in times for one of my son's games so checked out the game next door that happened to be a junior gold or B game.. geez, it was like a NHL (WWF) game from my childhood.. Multiple flying elbows.. fights.. tomahawk chops.. coaches fighting.. parents fight.. it was pure entertainment for a typical guy! Most of the dad's probably watched more of that game than our own kids..
The best part was the lobby after the game., players making out with their girlfriends.. one was actually starting to round the bases.. A dad trying to start a fight with a player from the other team. A player that looked like he graduated in the mid 90's and then another that looked like he was in 5th grade.. We still talk about experiencing that game when we all see each other..

*had to of been junior B when thinking about the association size

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:26 pm

The metro jr junior gold league has cracked down on that behavior.
Now it's pretty much play hockey or go home.
Hockey at this level is now pretty good.

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:50 pm

elliott70 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:26 pm
The metro jr junior gold league has cracked down on that behavior.
Now it's pretty much play hockey or go home.
Hockey at this level is now pretty good.
😟

green4

Post by green4 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 pm

Yeah, as someone who played Junior Gold that seems a bit extreme. I also played JV and watched every varsity game and in comparison, you could get away with much more with the MNSHL than junior gold when I played 5-7 years ago. They let you play a bit in varsity and JV, you can give some whacks after the whistle and not much will happen. I have always heard Junior Gold was a mess, but once they cleaned it up, you got called for basically anything. There were still fights, and it was a rough league, but they had no tolerance for anything.
For example, a few years ago at semifinal-saturday Benilde and EP had a big brawl, which resulted in three ep kids missing the section final.
Compared that to the state semi-finals for Junior Gold A there was a brawl just one year before the BSM-EP brawl. The team that won the game would go to the state championship with 8 kids suspended, they even had to call up the Junior Gold B goalie to be a backup because one of the goalies was suspended. On top of that, if you are kicked out for fighting it is an automatic three game suspension so anyone who was a junior would have to miss the next two games the next season.
There probably was not much difference between the two brawls but one league had the history of being a dirty league so they cracked down and had stricter rules

MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 am

green4 wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:24 pm
Yeah, as someone who played Junior Gold that seems a bit extreme. I also played JV and watched every varsity game and in comparison, you could get away with much more with the MNSHL than junior gold when I played 5-7 years ago. They let you play a bit in varsity and JV, you can give some whacks after the whistle and not much will happen. I have always heard Junior Gold was a mess, but once they cleaned it up, you got called for basically anything. There were still fights, and it was a rough league, but they had no tolerance for anything.
For example, a few years ago at semifinal-saturday Benilde and EP had a big brawl, which resulted in three ep kids missing the section final.
Compared that to the state semi-finals for Junior Gold A there was a brawl just one year before the BSM-EP brawl. The team that won the game would go to the state championship with 8 kids suspended, they even had to call up the Junior Gold B goalie to be a backup because one of the goalies was suspended. On top of that, if you are kicked out for fighting it is an automatic three game suspension so anyone who was a junior would have to miss the next two games the next season.
There probably was not much difference between the two brawls but one league had the history of being a dirty league so they cracked down and had stricter rules
Yes, you could describe it as a "mess", I guess. Interesting that they let it be so wild up until a few years ago..

blueline_6

Post by blueline_6 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:32 am

My brother played J Gold in the early 80's, I played in the late 80's. Was decent hockey back then. Things started going south in the 90's, kids gooning it up pretty bad and that's when they contemplated shutting it down. Thankfully they made a decision to try and clean it up and since the early 2000's it has been good hockey again.

1excg

Post by 1excg » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:48 am

Here’s a good link to MN Metro Junior Gold: :D
Covers most, if not all MN JR. Gold
https://www.metrohockeyleague.org/

The Junior Gold program, at least in the TC metro, has developed into a terrific, competitive, fun program. For HS kids- & those varsity players who get cut &/or no roster room at mega HS’s. For the kids who want to play HS hockey it’s wonderful resource.

These kids have a blast, get to play w/ thier buds. Good, competitive hockey.

gopherpuck516

Post by gopherpuck516 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:44 pm

I drove Zamboni part time a few years ago and saw quite a few junior gold games. Closer to Slap Shot than MNHSL. They actually shook hands before the game to avoid full team brawls they’d likely have if they shook after the game. I was so confused the first time I saw it.

Hopefully it’s cleaned up since then.