Eveleth over Chaska

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

karl(east)

Eveleth over Chaska

Post by karl(east) »

I had another obligation on the Range tonight, so I figured I'd swing by the Chaska-Eveleth game. I didn't go in expecting a good game, but figured it would be fun to start my HS hockey season at the Hippodrome and get a look at Chaska's talent. As you might imagine, my eyes bulged when I walked in and saw Eveleth up 2-0 after 1.

Sure, Eveleth got a lot of breaks to pull off this win. Mike Koster was out, and Blaine Warnert took a knock (seemingly to his knee?) and missed a large chunk of the third period. The refs called a tight game and Chaska paraded to the box all night, which was to the Golden Bears' advantage. There were some weird delays due to ice issues and Snuggerud throwing a fit that earned a bench minor for reasons that are still confusing to me even after getting an explanation from the announcer. Chaska's defense was very poor, the goaltending wasn't much better, and they were flummoxed by Eveleth's trap, trying to skate right through it with predictable results. They certainly won't be staying in the top ten come Sunday.

But that shouldn't take anything away from the scrappy Golden Bears. This has to be one of the biggest wins in recent memory for a program that knows a thing or two about winning big games. Elliot Orsdel factored in all five goals, Nick Beaudette made his imposing presence felt at both ends of the ice, and Kodi Intihar had a great night in goal. They've got a strong top line/PP unit and some good depth in back. The shots were about even, so save for a couple of sequences in the 3rd as Chaska sought the tying goal, this wasn't some game where they were just hanging on for dear life. The old building was just buzzing by the end: good old Eveleth can still knock off a AA power laden with D-I recruits, and I doubt this is the last top-end team they'll trouble over the course of the season.

It'll be hard to top that one anytime soon. What a great way to start the season!
goldy313

Re: Eveleth over Chaska

Post by goldy313 »

Great win for Eveleth, no question.

Chaska underachieving? No question here either.
TheNightman

Post by TheNightman »

Awesome upset
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 am Great win for Eveleth, no question.

Come on Karl, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice (or in Chaska's case three or four times) shame on me
kniven

Post by kniven »

karl(east) wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:56 pm I had another obligation on the Range tonight, so I figured I'd swing by the Chaska-Eveleth game. I didn't go in expecting a good game, but figured it would be fun to start my HS hockey season at the Hippodrome and get a look at Chaska's talent. As you might imagine, my eyes bulged when I walked in and saw Eveleth up 2-0 after 1.

Sure, Eveleth got a lot of breaks to pull off this win. Mike Koster was out, and Blaine Warnert took a knock (seemingly to his knee?) and missed a large chunk of the third period. The refs called a tight game and Chaska paraded to the box all night, which was to the Golden Bears' advantage. There were some weird delays due to ice issues and Snuggerud throwing a fit that earned a bench minor for reasons that are still confusing to me even after getting an explanation from the announcer. Chaska's defense was very poor, the goaltending wasn't much better, and they were flummoxed by Eveleth's trap, trying to skate right through it with predictable results. They certainly won't be staying in the top ten come Sunday.

But that shouldn't take anything away from the scrappy Golden Bears. This has to be one of the biggest wins in recent memory for a program that knows a thing or two about winning big games. Elliot Orsdel factored in all five goals, Nick Beaudette made his imposing presence felt at both ends of the ice, and Kodi Intihar had a great night in goal. They've got a strong top line/PP unit and some good depth in back. The shots were about even, so save for a couple of sequences in the 3rd as Chaska sought the tying goal, this wasn't some game where they were just hanging on for dear life. The old building was just buzzing by the end: good old Eveleth can still knock off a AA power laden with D-I recruits, and I doubt this is the last top-end team they'll trouble over the course of the season.

It'll be hard to top that one anytime soon. What a great way to start the season!

I wonder if Koster will be suiting up in Cloquet tomorrow night?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

goldy313 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:21 am
goldy313 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 am Great win for Eveleth, no question.

Come on Karl, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice (or in Chaska's case three or four times) shame on me
Yeah, they were too high this year. When else have I ever over-hyped Chaska? I don't think I even had them preseason top 25 last season.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Section 7A, 4 teams in the top 15.

=D>
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Boom! Looks like the ironheads took them citiots out to the woodshed!
Nice win up in flannel land.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Nice write up, and good game pick.

Overratings and underratings aside , this may have been the upset of the season.

Well done Bears and Section 7!

( Karl- underdogs want to know your upcoming
in person schedule!)
MrBoDangles

Post by MrBoDangles »

I started a topic back in the day about this Eveleth group in the the youth forum and they should be mostly juniors by now. They had three evenly balanced B-1 squirt teams ranked in the top 20 and brought up how they should end up very good in high school by doing this. I tried looking it up but can't find it... might be lost (help Karl?) in the forum update. Could be better than we all think and cool to see.

Any knowledgeable Eveleth people with more info about this group?
rainier2

Post by rainier2 »

MrBoDangles wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:25 am I started a topic back in the day about this Eveleth group in the the youth forum and they should be mostly juniors by now. They had three evenly balanced B-1 squirt teams ranked in the top 20 and brought up how they should end up very good in high school by doing this. I tried looking it up but can't find it... might be lost (help Karl?) in the forum update. Could be better than we all think and cool to see.

Any knowledgeable Eveleth people with more info about this group?
I'm not knowledgeable about the individual players, but I recall these groups as pee wees and bantams were always ranked and regularly placing multiple kids on elite/all-star teams. I think they were right there with the good virginia and greenway teams, if I remember correctly.
greenwayraider

Post by greenwayraider »

Didn't Mesabi East have a good PeeWee B team a few years back too? That would add even more depth if they were at the same time.
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

WestMetro wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:02 am Nice write up, and good game pick.

Overratings and underratings aside , this may have been the upset of the season.

Well done Bears and Section 7!

( Karl- underdogs want to know your upcoming
in person schedule!)
Ha! Well, I hope my run of watching Bears pull upsets ends at one tonight.

Bo, I'll see what I can dig up when I have some time over the weekend.