Outdoor Games?

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PaynePhalenGuy

Outdoor Games?

Post by PaynePhalenGuy »

Just curious... Anybody know of any regular season outdoor games aside from HDM this season?
Dog

Re: Outdoor Games?

Post by Dog »

If you're talking HS, I believe the only outdoor high school games are HDM (unless Edina or Grand Rapids do one at their covered outdoor rinks). It's nearly impossible to do for HS because you have to have glass on the inside rink and very few outdoor rinks have that.
If you're talking youth, there's a scattering of games every year in the Duluth area. Hermantown BAA's usually do at least one against GR BAA, Cloquet BAA is playing Denfeld BA this weekend at Piedmont, East BAA is playing WBL BAA someone in January in Duluth. No glass so it's no checking or "bump" checking. And there's usually more PW games than the bantams.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

There was a time not too long ago that Bagley and Loman played all their games outside.
And I remember the time International Falls held almost all practices outside.
OldManRiver

Post by OldManRiver »

While the team struggles, the outdoor ice at Coon Rapids Ice Center is very nice. I know that they play a few outdoor games each year - perhaps you can see if they have one against a top end team from the northern suburbs?
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

I believe that some have been played or are scheduled to be played at SLP outdoor rink this winter. Feels like there may have been an SLP/Hopkins girls game there earlier this season?
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

Coon Rapids could host HDM 2020?
No rink investment required
Close to the mighty Mississippi....
Quite a few alums from their competitive past now with their kids on HS teams.
The indoor Zamboni goes outside on a track and resiraxes the outdoor ice before returning to the comforts of the indoor arena.
Good match up would be AA Rochester Century or what about Bloom Jeff?
Hmmm
muckandgrinder65

Post by muckandgrinder65 »

‘Resurfaces’
BP

Post by BP »

muckandgrinder65 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:05 pm Coon Rapids could host HDM 2020?
No rink investment required
Close to the mighty Mississippi....
Quite a few alums from their competitive past now with their kids on HS teams.
The indoor Zamboni goes outside on a track and resiraxes the outdoor ice before returning to the comforts of the indoor arena.
Good match up would be AA Rochester Century or what about Bloom Jeff?
Hmmm
There wouldn't be room to put the proper stands/seating around that rink for the HDM MN. All the extra stuff that goes along with it - not a great place for it. It's more about the view, scenery, etc and the whole package - parking lot of an indoor rink probably isn't a desirable location. There are a lot more attractive places they would want it at. Some good ideas though - just probably not the right location - unless they put a new rink up by the river.
HSPuckFan

Post by HSPuckFan »

I've always thought Fort Snelling would be a cool place to have HDM.Have STA play a northern school.

Or out front of Mall of America,place the rink as close to where the Met Center ice would have sat (I know IKEA is there now) and have Jefferson play Kennedy.
Go Zephyrs
massalsa

Post by massalsa »

PaynePhalenGuy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:55 am Just curious... Anybody know of any regular season outdoor games aside from HDM this season?

Wayzata girls played at Champlain Park/Coon Rapids last night outside.

Also saw on twitter that Blake is playing St Louis Park outside tonight at SLP outdoor rink.
PaynePhalenGuy

Post by PaynePhalenGuy »

I was mostly wondering about SLP and CR since they have the outdoor rinks in place. I know Edina does as well, but there's no chance to get enough seating at theirs, so I don't think that will happen any time soon. Thanks for the update on SLP vs. Blake though. That's good info.

As far as HDM, Fort Snelling wouldn't be a bad idea - it would be a super interesting visual for sure. I always liked the idea of CHS Field and have Highland vs. Johnson play for their goofy "St. Paul Cup" and put them both in Saints inspired jerseys. Or, take one of them and have them play against Minneapolis and put them in Milers jerseys for a "Twin Cities battle". Of course there could be a "good" team matchup (take your pick) as well, send the Whitecaps to the other end of downtown to play a game there, maybe St. Thomas vs. Hamline (since it's their home baseball field).

I dunno... I'm just a homer.