CEC boys High School Hockey to A

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

hockey59

Re: CEC boys High School Hockey to A

Post by hockey59 »

SpOilerfan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:48 am
kniven wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:11 pm Yes. I realize the 2 East games would be gone each year. Enter....the Hermantown Hawks. Virginia Blue Devils. Greenway Raiders. Warroad. East Grand Forks. Etc. hopefully other program that opt up would see through the blah, blah, blah. Kids just want to have fun. You know. Remember being a kid. All this blah, blah, blah adult crap. You are not playing, but kids are. Give me a break. Hermantown fans. Could you help me out here.

What is your point? The program you are talking about was here long before you jumped aboard. You have no idea the difference in the AA state tournament and the A. Its like Valley Fair compared to Disneyland. When Cloquet or Rapids or Roseau head down the whole arena pulls for them, and the difference is 18,000 vs 5,000. Ask some alumni and players how they feel. Hermantown should do what they want to do, as should Cloquet. The Cloquet girls dropped to A after being AA and take a look at the difference in their schedule, gone is Blaine and Roseville, in is Moose Lake and Eveleth, that's not disrespecting the smaller schools its just different. Sad to see a program with the pride and respect they have state wide move down, I say congrats to them for staying in the hunt and with those strong bantam teams feeding the high school I say they will get there sooner than later and thaen you can see the difference!
I agree 100% regarding CEC ☝️👍 As for Hermantown, if they want to continue being 🐣 in 2019-2020, so be it.
Louie22

Post by Louie22 »

Off topic somewhat, but this idea that East-CEC remains an iconic rivalry doesn't jibe with reality. While recent games have been exciting, the crowds continue to disappoint. When it's played in Cloquet, the arena's half-full at best. The latest installment at Heritage Center was about two-thirds full, and East's student section was almost nonexistent. When Rapids is good, Thunderhawks-Greyhounds brings much more juice than Greyhounds-Lumberjacks. Not sure why that is.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Louie22 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 pm Off topic somewhat, but this idea that East-CEC remains an iconic rivalry doesn't jibe with reality. While recent games have been exciting, the crowds continue to disappoint. When it's played in Cloquet, the arena's half-full at best. The latest installment at Heritage Center was about two-thirds full, and East's student section was almost nonexistent. When Rapids is good, Thunderhawks-Greyhounds brings much more juice than Greyhounds-Lumberjacks. Not sure why that is.
Agreed. Jacks vs. East, Rapids, or Hawks pretty lopsided most years.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

kniven wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:16 pm
Louie22 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:16 pm Off topic somewhat, but this idea that East-CEC remains an iconic rivalry doesn't jibe with reality. While recent games have been exciting, the crowds continue to disappoint. When it's played in Cloquet, the arena's half-full at best. The latest installment at Heritage Center was about two-thirds full, and East's student section was almost nonexistent. When Rapids is good, Thunderhawks-Greyhounds brings much more juice than Greyhounds-Lumberjacks. Not sure why that is.
That's not what he said, maybe you should get off your soapbox and read what he said! Most big games do not draw what they used too. Minnetonka/Edina White Bear/Hill-Murray all the crowds are not what they once were. Selling out the DECC or the old Met Center are a thing of the past, But I give Cloquet credit for showing up and playing hard. You say your a true fan than you throw a cheap shot at your program with your above statement. I can tell you that program is respected and admired for the way those kids compete.
kniven

Post by kniven »

SpOilerfan wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:56 pm
That's not what he said, maybe you should get off your soapbox and read what he said! Most big games do not draw what they used too. Minnetonka/Edina White Bear/Hill-Murray all the crowds are not what they once were. Selling out the DECC or the old Met Center are a thing of the past, But I give Cloquet credit for showing up and playing hard. You say your a true fan than you throw a cheap shot at your program with your above statement. I can tell you that program is respected and admired for the way those kids compete.
Absolutely correct 🤓. The purple compete and are great kids :)
Alumni30

Post by Alumni30 »

Actually over the past couple years Cloquet has played East and Rapids very tough, Hermantown has had the Jacks number though. But i wouldn't go as far as saying it's been lopsided. I may be wrong on this, but you seem like you are bitter or upset with what has been happening in Cloquet. I know you enjoy the boys and their effort, but you come off like you are miffed at the coaches or administration that are in charge now, just an observation...

I am curious though since you brought this subject up on the forum, what are your reasons for wanting CEC to move to Class A? I enjoy a good conversation and am genuinely curious of your thoughts and opinions for this! I am not a close minded person so perhaps you have valid reasons or opinions that i haven't thought of or heard.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Alumni30 wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:55 pm Actually over the past couple years Cloquet has played East and Rapids very tough, Hermantown has had the Jacks number though. But i wouldn't go as far as saying it's been lopsided. I may be wrong on this, but you seem like you are bitter or upset with what has been happening in Cloquet. I know you enjoy the boys and their effort, but you come off like you are miffed at the coaches or administration that are in charge now, just an observation...

I am curious though since you brought this subject up on the forum, what are your reasons for wanting CEC to move to Class A? I enjoy a good conversation and am genuinely curious of your thoughts and opinions for this! I am not a close minded person so perhaps you have valid reasons or opinions that i haven't thought of or heard.
Well. Any diehard fan of any club is going to be concerned if the program they love has 3 different head coaches in 3 consecutive years. It can’t be easy on the kids. Especially when this team\year has been circled since the seniors were 2nd year peewees. When an organization thinks that the talent is so great and overwhelming that the coaching changes won’t effect the talent. It’s just unfortunate these changes had to come now, that’s all. The kids and parents know my thoughts and they also know that I think their kids are the best.."..all the way down to the squirt and u10 levels.

Coach Walters is a fine coach. He has only been a head coach in his lifetime for 1 year. A great coach motivates his players. I hope Walters is this. As far as A and AA. I really don’t concern myself are let it run my passion for the Lumberjacks and the high school game I love. I do what I do to motivate not advocate. My support for the kids is for better or worse. I don’t run around CEC concerned and filled with anger. Nobody on this forum knows my history with the student athletes and what I really do so I don’t expect anybody to understand. To most on this forum, I’m grumpy, negative, and just want to win. Or it’s Dave Esse or nobody.
SpOilerfan

Post by SpOilerfan »

You are the one that started the thread, I somewhat agree you are trolling, let the coaches, kids and alumni figure it out! leave the cheap shots somewhere else time to move on. Not sure you are for the kids or an advocate of the former coach, leave the boys to figure it out! A program with 5 ex NHL ers should not be A, maybe should ask them their thoughts! And good luck to the new coach, time to leave the past alone! Not sure you were around much in the past though!
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

For a large part the coaching turnover is due to poor decisions made by adults. It stinks kids suffer but you can’t preach personal accountability then ignore it yourself. Maybe a bad hire, maybe a mistake.....either way the kids suffer but learn a life lesson beyond hockey. Probably a better lesson than would have been learned. Choices have consequences.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

I've been on this board for a long time and you've been taking cheap shots at Kniven since the day you signed up. I have no idea what your motive is, but it seems like you had a problem with Esse, just based on what I've read the last two years. If so, that's fine. As long as you've done as much for the kids and community as Kniven has, then you have every right to take pot shots at him. So just let us know what you've done so we can all understand.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

15 years ago an Austin @ Rochester Century game in mid December would have drawn a crowd of 1500-2000. Today it draws 150. Any intra city game in Rochester would draw at least 1000, now Century plays their home games against Mayo and John Marshall at Graham #4with a 500 seat capacity that is 2/3 full with a band. Small crowds are the new normal.
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

Well jeez why doesn’t everyone just go to A then they all have a chance to win. I think Edina should opt down. They haven’t won state since 2014 and that’s just not fair! They have worked so hard and deserve it. Screw earning anything. Let’s just go to where it’s easier. That’s a great lesson to teach the KIDS as every single post says. “ITS ALL ABOUT THE DANG KIDS”. Ha. What a joke. I think the last 20 posts have the word “kids” in it. All about the kids, eh? Every kid should win state. Why even have playoffs. Why even have games? Just give out participation trophies and medals. Can’t believe the attitude some have on here. In 10 years MN HS Hockey will have 6 classes so that so many kids can go to state and have a great experience and all you parents will be so happy for your kids. Then your entitled kids won’t know how to fail when real life hits them in the face. But who cares, right. Mom and Dad are there even when Jr is 28 years old living in the basement. But hey, Jr played at state. Great job Jr!

The kids. Kids kids kids. It’s like if you say any sentence in the whole world with the word “kids” then you really care. PC BS
StanleyCup55

Post by StanleyCup55 »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:35 pm There is about an 80% chance that your AA state tourney will have these teams

Edina
Duluth East
Lakeville North or South
Hill
STA
Eden Prairie or Minnetonka
Maple Grove or Blaine

Moorhead
Section 8 gives us the most chance for a variation.

So Class AAA could be with these eleven and add in Wayzata, Grand Rapids, Stillwater, Bemidji, Roseau, Eagan and Apple Valley.
In the last ten years these are the teams that have played more than once in the state tourney.
Another nine or so teams have been there once.

About 15% of the AA 64 teams are there 80% of the time.
Hermantown is about the only team I can think of that can crack into that lineup.
Every other AA team may want to consider single A.
Well then let’s just draw a name out of a hat of these 11 teams and crown them champ. Why even play games. This line of thinking completely boggles my mind. Wow. And you call yourself a HS hockey fan?
kniven

Post by kniven »

So Elliot and I are getting slammed because we have an opinion different than the mainstream elite on this forum. I’m not concerned the slightest that most of you disagree. I feels bad for Jermantown fans. Good for you Hermantown:). Do not leave single A and let these angry folk tell you how dare you and that your hurting your kids. Oops, I said the K word. 😮

I really am not concerned at the least, people who are angry with me and the how dare you....people. The kids will be fine. 😮. Oops I said the K word again sorry. Sticks and stones people. Elliott and I will be fine. I think the kids.......😳 oh boy 😑 I said it again.

Oh. This opinion is like a fart in the wind. And when people standing around me when I squeeze one out, look at me and want to debate me on my failure to squeeze my buttocks and how it’s bad for the environment and my carbon footprint that I have a fart. I don’t actually walk around in life and concern myself with my fart. It feels good when I fart. I sometimes smirk when it sounds like a bumble bee on steroids. But it truly doesn’t effect my life good or bad. It’s just a fart. I know there are people who have a strong opinion on people who fart. But not me really. It is just a fart. It has no bearing on my support for the kids and program no matter. Unconditional support. Did I just say “kid” again. 🤓
grindiangrad-80

Post by grindiangrad-80 »

LOL Kniven. When I first glanced over post and seen all of the Emoji's I figured Slappy was back. =D> I appreciate the entertainment being it's 10 minutes until Viking kickoff and I am almost positive they won't come close to matching that. :)
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

Kniven in a nutshell:

Three coaches in three years
It’s all about the kids
I ♥️ Mike Randolph
I ♥️ Coach Clafton
218 puck is the best
Play Like a Champion Today
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

StanleyCup55 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:33 am Well jeez why doesn’t everyone just go to A then they all have a chance to win. I think Edina should opt down. They haven’t won state since 2014 and that’s just not fair! They have worked so hard and deserve it. Screw earning anything. Let’s just go to where it’s easier. That’s a great lesson to teach the KIDS as every single post says. “ITS ALL ABOUT THE DANG KIDS”. Ha. What a joke. I think the last 20 posts have the word “kids” in it. All about the kids, eh? Every kid should win state. Why even have playoffs. Why even have games? Just give out participation trophies and medals. Can’t believe the attitude some have on here. In 10 years MN HS Hockey will have 6 classes so that so many kids can go to state and have a great experience and all you parents will be so happy for your kids. Then your entitled kids won’t know how to fail when real life hits them in the face. But who cares, right. Mom and Dad are there even when Jr is 28 years old living in the basement. But hey, Jr played at state. Great job Jr!

The kids. Kids kids kids. It’s like if you say any sentence in the whole world with the word “kids” then you really care. PC BS
Wish I could “like” this post.

A coach I knew used to say “nothing in life worth having comes easy”. Seems somewhat applicable.
Upfan111

Post by Upfan111 »

Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:35 am

I've been on this board for a long time and you've been taking cheap shots at Kniven since the day you signed up. I have no idea what your motive is, but it seems like you had a problem with Esse, just based on what I've read the last two years. If so, that's fine. As long as you've done as much for the kids and community as Kniven has, then you have every right to take pot shots at him. So just let us know what you've done so we can all understand.
Good one Hermhoc....err......I mean "Jeffy"

Seriously is it taking shots or is it pointing out a lot of condradictions? He started the thread, makes off the wall comments and tries to circle it back to the kids. Your reading the same stuff, and can see that.

Goodness; cheer and support your favorite team / program and enjoy the product on the ice. Coaches and kids are working hard; no one wants to loose a game, but it happens.
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Upfan111 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:14 pm
Jeffy95 wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:35 am

Good one Hermhoc....err......I mean "Jeffy"

Seriously is it taking shots or is it pointing out a lot of condradictions? He started the thread, makes off the wall comments and tries to circle it back to the kids. Your reading the same stuff, and can see that.

Goodness; cheer and support your favorite team / program and enjoy the product on the ice. Coaches and kids are working hard; no one wants to loose a game, but it happens.
You think I'm a Hermantown guy? Have you read any of my posts?
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

I think what Kniven is trying to say is he thinks the kids would rather make a trip to state at the A level a few times a decade vs. once in 20+ years at the AA level. Most of the kids don't know what an alumnus is or care what they experienced. To think kids would have a lesser time at the A tournament is total BS. Sorry. I highly doubt the Hermantown kids are thinking, man, I sure don't think we accomplished much and it wasn't much fun! Nostalgia is all some of you guys think about. I don't care either way what they end up doing. But whatever happens, the kids will be just fine and won't think twice about it.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Mite-dad wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:39 pm I think what Kniven is trying to say is he thinks the kids would rather make a trip to state at the A level a few times a decade vs. once in 20+ years at the AA level. Most of the kids don't know what an alumnus is or care what they experienced. To think kids would have a lesser time at the A tournament is total BS. Sorry. I highly doubt the Hermantown kids are thinking, man, I sure don't think we accomplished much and it wasn't much fun! Nostalgia is all some of you guys think about. I don't care either way what they end up doing. But whatever happens, the kids will be just fine and won't think twice about it.
Exactumundo 🤓. Too many clowns in here think the kids think like the adults. Damn it! I said “kids” again.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Here's a dumb idea? Force all schools except privates (who can choose) to be in A or AA based upon enrollment. By putting some of the stronger small schools back into A it would improve the A tournament and make it a bit more interesting. How many non-private small schools make the tournament each year on average? The makeup of the AA tournament would not change much and the A tournament would have a better field than it has of late raising interest.

The first A tourney had Warroad, Hermantown, Mahtomedi, Breck, Cathedral, Farmington, Edison and Hibbing. A bit more interesting than some of the 2018 Class A teams.

**The downside could be that more top kids from the A schools would open-enroll and just dilute the talent back down again?

Short of going back to a 1 class field there's always going to be a lot of cons to whatever system is used.
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

The other dynamic to that SS is you make the AA tourney a much more metro based event.

Some may say who cares. I’d say a lot of the charm of the Tourney comes from the diversity of teams size wise and geography wise. The change you are describing would have a significant impact on tne AA event as well IMHO.
Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot »

Section 8 guy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:27 pm The other dynamic to that SS is you make the AA tourney a much more metro based event.

Some may say who cares. I’d say a lot of the charm of the Tourney comes from the diversity of teams size wise and geography wise. The change you are describing would have a significant impact on tne AA event as well IMHO.
Yeah that's definitely one of the cons of my idea.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

Slap Shot wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:33 am

The first A tourney had Warroad, Hermantown, Mahtomedi, Breck, Cathedral, Farmington, Edison and Hibbing. A bit more interesting than some of the 2018 Class A teams.
What? We had Hermantown, Orono, Alex, Mahtomedi, Thief River Falls, Monticello, Mankato East and Litchfield, Dassel, etc. Was one of the most interesting,exciting tournaments in a while. Grant it only 2 (or 3) metro teams, but that's fine by me.