Section 7A seeding

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70
Posts: 13098
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Section 7A seeding

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:54 am

Will 7A be coaches vote again this year or are they switching to QRF?

elliott70
Posts: 13098
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by elliott70 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:40 am

QRF as of 1/6/19
No. 1 Hermantown (86.2) 0-0-0 8-3-0 4.3 1.9 Won 1
No. 17 Duluth Denfeld (50.8) 3-0-1 8-3-1 4.2 2.7 Won 3
No. 25 Eveleth-Gilbert Area (42.8) 4-1-0 8-5-0 3.7 2.8 Won 1
No. 29 Greenway/Nash-Kee (38.2) 3-1-0 5-10-0 3.5 3.6 Lost 2
No. 45 International Falls (32.1) 4-2-1 7-6-1 3.9 2.9 Won 2
No. 52 Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl (29.2) 1-2-1 3-9-1 2.5 3.6 Lost 1
No. 54 North Shore (28.3) 2-2-0 3-8-1 3.2 3.8 Lost 2
No. 58 Proctor (26.3) 0-3-1 4-8-1 3.2 4.1 Won 1
No. 78 Ely/Northeast Range (15.4) 0-3-0 2-9-1 2.8 6.1 Lost 2
No. 79 Hibbing/Chisholm

Coaches voting (I believe) would look a little different than this. Of course some important games left in the season.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:08 am

I was wondering the same thing. Grand Rapids plays Hermantown the last game of the year and if the 7A seeds are out I wonder if the complexity of the game changes if HT has nothing on the line and for GR a win vs HT would be a huge boost to their QRF the day before the final calculation for 7AA.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Jeffy95
Posts: 748
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by Jeffy95 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:08 am
I was wondering the same thing. Grand Rapids plays Hermantown the last game of the year and if the 7A seeds are out I wonder if the complexity of the game changes if HT has nothing on the line and for GR a win vs HT would be a huge boost to their QRF the day before the final calculation for 7AA.
LOL. Hermantown hasn't lost to a 7A team in like, 20 years. What exactly could they "have on the line" for that game regarding Section seeding?

And remember, they register at Class A, so there is no "huge boost" to QRF if Rapids beats them. There will be a nice big drop when they lose that game though.

elliott70
Posts: 13098
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by elliott70 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:46 am

QRF as of 1-23-19
No. 1 Hermantown (101.7) 3-0-0 13-3-1

No. 21 Eveleth-Gilbert Area (55.5) 7-1-1 12-5-1
No. 22 Duluth Denfeld (55.3) 4-1-1 9-6-1

No. 38 Greenway/Nash-Kee (46.6) 5-2-0 7-13-0

No. 46 Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl (40.7) 4-2-1 7-12-1

No. 55 International Falls (35.7) 4-6-1 7-10-1
No. 63 North Shore (30.7) 2-4-1 3-12-2
No. 66 Proctor (29.4) 1-4-1 5-12-1

No. 78 Hibbing/Chisholm (19.8) 0-6-0 0-17-0
No. 79 Ely/Northeast Range (18.1) 0-4-0 2-12-1

If coaches voting follows along QRF at all then:
1. Hermantown is a lock either way
2 or 3. Eveleth has 7 games left all with section 7A opponents - at Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl at Duluth Denfeld at Greenway/Nash-Kee
at Hibbing/Chisholm vs. Hermantown vs. Duluth Denfeld at North Shore
Twice with Denfeld which will probably decide 2 & 3
Denfeld has nine left - 2 with Eveleth and 2 other 7A Hibbing and north Shore, they have some big Class A games which may have an impact on QRF but will they mean anything to the coaches.
4. Greenway is along QRF way from #3. They have vs. Virginia/Mt. Iron-Buhl vs. Eveleth-Gilbert Area at Hibbing/Chisholm at International Falls
vs. St. Paul Johnson - They very well might win all of these, for QRF probably not enough to get to 2or even 3 but for coaches it probably gets them to 3 (early season loss to Denfeld may hold them back.
5. Virginia has at Greenway/Nash-Kee vs. Eveleth-Gilbert Area at Hermantown vs. Proctor at Hibbing/Chisholm - if they win them all (except Hermantown) they could argue and perhaps get the 3rd seed.
6 on down not likely to see much change unless Int'l. Falls loses to North Shore or North Shore loses to Proctor.

TheHockeyDJ
Posts: 2245
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:41 am
Location: Orange County, California
Contact:

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:59 am

Jeffy95 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:39 am
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:08 am
I was wondering the same thing. Grand Rapids plays Hermantown the last game of the year and if the 7A seeds are out I wonder if the complexity of the game changes if HT has nothing on the line and for GR a win vs HT would be a huge boost to their QRF the day before the final calculation for 7AA.
LOL. Hermantown hasn't lost to a 7A team in like, 20 years. What exactly could they "have on the line" for that game regarding Section seeding?

And remember, they register at Class A, so there is no "huge boost" to QRF if Rapids beats them. There will be a nice big drop when they lose that game though.
That doesn’t matter as much as the mental shift when the brackets are out. Even if you’re the favorite etc, it takes something away from the meaningfulness of a regular season game. I would think the intensity would be different from the earlier game which btw was only a 4-3 win for Sandbag town
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

ironranger2
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by ironranger2 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:11 am

Coaches vote, so I don't think QRF comes into play.

1. Hermantwon
2-3 Greenway/Denfeld
4-5 Eveleth/Virginia

Greenway probably a favorite in the 2/3 matchup, probably helps Denfeld more than Greenway to get home ice. Eveleth-Virginia is a coin flip no matter where it is played. Winner gets to see running time with Hermantown.

I would guess Range coaches will give advantage to Greenway on #2 seed if it comes down to it. They know Greenway probably has the only legitimate shot to knock off Hermantown.

greenwayraider
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by greenwayraider » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:12 pm

1. Hermantown
2. Denfeld (4-1-1) - win over Greenway is huge. Two games left with Eveleth-Gilbert, one with Hibbing and North Shore. Number two seed could be at risk if they lose a game to E-G.
3. Greenway (6-2) - Games remaining are Eveleth-Gilbert, Hibbing and the Falls.
4. Virginia (5-3-1) - Best win is against Eveleth-Gilbert. Games left with Hermantown, Proctor and Hibbing.
5. Eveleth-Gilbert (7-3-1) - best win against Virginia but a bad tie with North Shore and bad loss to Hibbing. Games left with Greenway, Hermantown, North Shore and two with Denfeld.
6. North Shore (3-4-1) - spilt with the Falls and tied Eveleth-Gilbert. Proctor, Hibbing, Denfeld, Ely and Eveleth-Gilbert remain.
7. International Falls (3-5-1) - one game left against Greenway. Best result is a win over North Shore. Tie with Proctor pretty much makes it unlikely they move up.
8. Proctor (1-6-1) - Remaining games are North Shore and Virginia.
9. Hibbing (1-6) - Denfeld, North Shore, Greenway and Virginia are left.
10. Ely

Lot of games left but I don’t expect much movement. There would have to be some big upsets to change much.

CanAm Hockey
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:55 am

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by CanAm Hockey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am

Could of been like the days of old when the majority of the teams in the Section thought they had a chance at State. How exciting would 7A playoffs be this year without one of the best AA teams in the State in their Section. It would be an absolute blast to see who would come out of the Section this year!

ironranger2
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by ironranger2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am

Little bit off topic, but why would you not hold the Section 7A finals at the Memorial Building in Hibbing.

I was back over there a few weekends ago watching a co-workers kid in a Bantam B tournament and the arena looks as good as ever. I was talking to one of the rink attendants and he said they just finished upgrading the locker rooms and also really spent time cleaning the arena up.

The atmosphere of a Greenway-Hermantown final at the Memorial Building would far surpass anything that Amsoil has to offer. Heck, they should play the 7A semi-finals there as well.

rainier2
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by rainier2 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am

ironranger2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am
Little bit off topic, but why would you not hold the Section 7A finals at the Memorial Building in Hibbing.

I was back over there a few weekends ago watching a co-workers kid in a Bantam B tournament and the arena looks as good as ever. I was talking to one of the rink attendants and he said they just finished upgrading the locker rooms and also really spent time cleaning the arena up.

The atmosphere of a Greenway-Hermantown final at the Memorial Building would far surpass anything that Amsoil has to offer. Heck, they should play the 7A semi-finals there as well.
A semifinal Saturday at the Memorial Building would be outstanding. They added new locker rooms, refurbished the old ones, and built a new rear entrance. Sounds like there are even more improvements/additions in the works for the near future.

Maybe alternate every other year?

That guy for that thing
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: Hinckley

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by That guy for that thing » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:43 am

rainier2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am
ironranger2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am
Little bit off topic, but why would you not hold the Section 7A finals at the Memorial Building in Hibbing.

I was back over there a few weekends ago watching a co-workers kid in a Bantam B tournament and the arena looks as good as ever. I was talking to one of the rink attendants and he said they just finished upgrading the locker rooms and also really spent time cleaning the arena up.

The atmosphere of a Greenway-Hermantown final at the Memorial Building would far surpass anything that Amsoil has to offer. Heck, they should play the 7A semi-finals there as well.
A semifinal Saturday at the Memorial Building would be outstanding. They added new locker rooms, refurbished the old ones, and built a new rear entrance. Sounds like there are even more improvements/additions in the works for the near future.

Maybe alternate every other year?
I remember playing some quarterfinals games up there vs Virginia in late 2000's, and DM was pretty hated by the range at that time. It can be very loud up in that building. Would be really interested to view the locker rooms and facilities with the new improvements.

MNGuide
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by MNGuide » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 am

1. Hermantown
2. Denfeld
3. Greenway
4. Virginia
5. Eveleth
6. North Shore
7. IFalls
8. Proctor
9. Hibbing
10. Ely

Big games in Eveleth still has to play Greenway and Denfeld. I think if Eveleth beats Denfeld that could slip Denfeld to the 3, but other than that I do not see much changing assuming everything else goes as expected

greenwayraider
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 pm

Hibbing has a shot at moving ahead of Proctor if they beat North Shore. They’ve improved enough that they could even upset Denfeld or Virginia.

kniven
Posts: 2477
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by kniven » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:59 pm

greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:34 pm
Hibbing has a shot at moving ahead of Proctor if they beat North Shore. They’ve improved enough that they could even upset Denfeld or Virginia.

Agreed

pekyman
Posts: 529
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Back 40

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by pekyman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm

CanAm Hockey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
Could of been like the days of old when the majority of the teams in the Section thought they had a chance at State. How exciting would 7A playoffs be this year without one of the best AA teams in the State in their Section. It would be an absolute blast to see who would come out of the Section this year!
And get absolutely blasted at state on Wednesday, sorry.

ShakestheClown
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:11 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by ShakestheClown » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:31 pm

rainier2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:35 am
ironranger2 wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:25 am
Little bit off topic, but why would you not hold the Section 7A finals at the Memorial Building in Hibbing.

I was back over there a few weekends ago watching a co-workers kid in a Bantam B tournament and the arena looks as good as ever. I was talking to one of the rink attendants and he said they just finished upgrading the locker rooms and also really spent time cleaning the arena up.

The atmosphere of a Greenway-Hermantown final at the Memorial Building would far surpass anything that Amsoil has to offer. Heck, they should play the 7A semi-finals there as well.
A semifinal Saturday at the Memorial Building would be outstanding. They added new locker rooms, refurbished the old ones, and built a new rear entrance. Sounds like there are even more improvements/additions in the works for the near future.

Maybe alternate every other year?
Those new facilities won't be ready before the end of the boy's hockey season. Way behind schedule...

MNGuide
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by MNGuide » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:40 pm

pekyman wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm
CanAm Hockey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
Could of been like the days of old when the majority of the teams in the Section thought they had a chance at State. How exciting would 7A playoffs be this year without one of the best AA teams in the State in their Section. It would be an absolute blast to see who would come out of the Section this year!
And get absolutely blasted at state on Wednesday, sorry.
By who? The only class A team that would “blast” Greenway, Denfeld, Virginia would be Cathedral or Mahtomedi... We’ve seen all three of these teams hang with or beat some of the best teams from section 1, 2, 3, 5, 8... I mean I agree the section isn’t nearly as strong as it was a 5+ years back but
Last edited by MNGuide on Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kniven
Posts: 2477
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by kniven » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:04 pm

MNGuide wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:40 pm
pekyman wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm
CanAm Hockey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
Could of been like the days of old when the majority of the teams in the Section thought they had a chance at State. How exciting would 7A playoffs be this year without one of the best AA teams in the State in their Section. It would be an absolute blast to see who would come out of the Section this year!
And get absolutely blasted at state on Wednesday, sorry.
By who? The only class A team that would “blast” Greenway, Denfeld, Virginia would be Cathedral or Mahtomedi... We’ve seen all three of these teams hang with or beat some of the best teams from section 1, 2, 3, 5, 8... I mean I agree the section isn’t nearly as strong as it was a couple years back but
7A is a very strong section, as well as 7AA most years 👍

rainier2
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:35 pm

MNGuide wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:40 pm
pekyman wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:32 pm
CanAm Hockey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 am
Could of been like the days of old when the majority of the teams in the Section thought they had a chance at State. How exciting would 7A playoffs be this year without one of the best AA teams in the State in their Section. It would be an absolute blast to see who would come out of the Section this year!
And get absolutely blasted at state on Wednesday, sorry.
By who? The only class A team that would “blast” Greenway, Denfeld, Virginia would be Cathedral or Mahtomedi... We’ve seen all three of these teams hang with or beat some of the best teams from section 1, 2, 3, 5, 8... I mean I agree the section isn’t nearly as strong as it was a couple years back but
Exactly. The next 3 behind Hermantown can compete at state without getting "blasted". Also, let's not forget that 7A lost one of their top teams, Duluth Marshall, because they were good enough to be in AA!!

rainier2
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:49 am

MNGuide wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 am
1. Hermantown
2. Denfeld
3. Greenway
4. Virginia
5. Eveleth
6. North Shore
7. IFalls
8. Proctor
9. Hibbing
10. Ely

Big games in Eveleth still has to play Greenway and Denfeld. I think if Eveleth beats Denfeld that could slip Denfeld to the 3, but other than that I do not see much changing assuming everything else goes as expected
Did Hibbing just grab the #6 seed with their win over Virginia last night? With wins over E-G and VIrginia now, their resume in 7A puts them ahead of of Proctor and North Shore. (Hibbing also beat North Shore) Yes, I-Falls did beat Hibbing twice this year but both games were in the first half of the season. More recently, I-Falls has lost to North Shore, E-G, and Virginia, while Hibbing has beaten those teams.

If recent results and getting injured players back are given weight in the seeding process, then I could see Hibbing sneaking into the #6 spot.

greenwayraider
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 am

Rainer2 you should be at the seeding meeting to argue for Hibbing to get the #6 seed. I do agree that at this point in time Hibbing deserves the #6 seed. To me they should be a lock for a #7 seed. It will be tough to overcome two bad losses to the Falls. However the Falls has lost 9 in a row against mostly average or below competition. From a Greenway point of view I’d rather see Hibbing at a #7 seed.

rainier2
Posts: 288
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by rainier2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 am

greenwayraider wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:27 am
Rainer2 you should be at the seeding meeting to argue for Hibbing to get the #6 seed. I do agree that at this point in time Hibbing deserves the #6 seed. To me they should be a lock for a #7 seed. It will be tough to overcome two bad losses to the Falls. However the Falls has lost 9 in a row against mostly average or below competition. From a Greenway point of view I’d rather see Hibbing at a #7 seed.
I guess it doesn't matter if Hibbing gets 6 or 7, I just want them to face Denfeld and not Greenway in the QF. (Provided they win a play-in game.) They have a legit shot at upsetting Denfeld, but to beat Greenway, Hibbing's goalie would have to save 44/45.

Virginia simply did not look good last night. I think they got outcoached, too. On the broadcast, Larson kept mentioning how passive Hibbing was on their forecheck, which they absolutely were until the last half of the 3rd period. They kept Virginia from building up speed through the neutral zone, and it certainly helped that Virginia suddenly forgot how to pass the puck.

Virginia is Jekyll and Hyde. They play a solid game vs Hermantown, then lose to Hibbing. Story of their season.

greenwayraider
Posts: 624
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:54 am
Location: Bovey

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by greenwayraider » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:28 am

My undersranding is that the seeding will take place on Friday. That make sense since the play-in games are Saturday but that makes the Eveleth-Gilbert/Greenway game a non factor in the seedings.

ironranger2
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:42 pm

Re: Section 7A seeding

Post by ironranger2 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Eveleth and Greenway both get somewhat hurt in having that Denfeld/Eveleth game canceled. An Eveleth victory would have given them some more ammo for the #4 seed and also helped Greenway in its argument for #2 seed. I still think Eveleth/Virginia is a coin flip no matter where they play and Greenway will be ready this time for Denfeld.

Anyone know if Hermantown gets the winner of the 7/10 game or do they get the lowest remaining seed from Saturday? Say seeds 7 and 9 win, does Hermantown get the 9th seed?

Post Reply