Hockey Day in MN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

yesiplayedhockey

Re: Hockey Day in MN

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:38 am

Minneapolis vs St Louis Park or a team from the north
Blake vs Edina

Then have St Thomas play Augsburg

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:53 am

I doubt a private school will be picked. Why would MPLS Hockey want to further promote players leaving their youth ranks to a HS private school?

Edina will not play in HDM as long as the current coaching staff is in place.

Also, one of these teams will likely be Dream.State. team for season 4 and a private school will not be picked for that.
Play Like a Champion Today

yesiplayedhockey

Post by yesiplayedhockey » Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:15 am

I don't think Minneapolis hockey has any say in picking the team...I believe the teams are picked by Fox Sports North, a committee of "experts" and the NHL/Wild?

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Mpls will have a voice in the matter
Play Like a Champion Today

Slap Shot

Post by Slap Shot » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:40 am

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-sp ... -minnesota

Teddy Lagerback suffered bad enough frostbite during HDM he had to miss the Edina game and his status for returning is unknown.

So yeah.

USA218

Post by USA218 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:35 am

How EGF has not played a HDM game yet is a head-scratcher to me? Two state titles in the past 5 years and historically one of the top teams in single A hockey, they should get a shot. I thought they would have been picked for Bemidji this year but Greenway got the nod instead. Would guess they would have to be on the short list of single A teams for this showcase?

Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:31 am

Really good take USA and agree on EGF getting a shot.

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 am

Would be nice to just have Class AA teams and move it inside. Kinda getting bored with it outdoors. Rarely is the weather nice like it was in Duluth, which was the best location by far. Rotate a HS triple header at the 5 D1 College rinks.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:01 am
Would be nice to just have Class AA teams
Ahh..........no!

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Would be nice to just have Class AA teams and move it inside. Kinda getting bored with it outdoors. Rarely is the weather nice like it was in Duluth, which was the best location by far. Rotate a HS triple header at the 5 D1 College rinks.
Agreed on the inside thing, but not just AA. Small town hockey, Roseau, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Greenway, Warroad, etc. are what make the state of hockey THE state of hockey.....not the metro.....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm

kniven wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 pm
TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Agreed on the inside thing, but not just AA. Small town hockey, Roseau, Cloquet, Grand Rapids, Greenway, Warroad, etc. are what make the state of hockey THE state of hockey.....not the metro.....

You just mentioned a bunch of AA teams
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

north_bear

Post by north_bear » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:49 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm
kniven wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

Lol :lol: :lol: =D> =D>
Thunderhawk Fanatic!!

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:45 pm

Slap Shot wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:40 am

Teddy Lagerback suffered bad enough frostbite during HDM he had to miss the Edina game and his status for returning is unknown.

So yeah.
Poor kid is getting slammed in the comment section on the Strib site. If he was the only kid to suffer it on both teams plus the earlier in the week games - was he toughing it by “way” under dressing, and the heated bench thing should have helped no?

That being said - if it’s that cold (-5 and colder) - just hold it inside. No need to make it miserable when you have back up accommodations.

kniven

Post by kniven » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:46 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:39 pm
kniven wrote:
TheHockeyDJ wrote:

More precisely, Single A schools that opt up to play double A schools in high school hockey.

That guy for that thing

Post by That guy for that thing » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:35 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:45 pm
Slap Shot wrote:

So yeah.
Poor kid is getting slammed in the comment section on the Strib site. If he was the only kid to suffer it on both teams plus the earlier in the week games - was he toughing it by “way” under dressing, and the heated bench thing should have helped no?

That being said - if it’s that cold (-5 and colder) - just hold it inside. No need to make it miserable when you have back up accommodations.
Don't forget he was the kid that took 20 minutes to skate to the blueline at the state championship. He was probably trying to be the big tough guy and didn't take his own health seriously.

Besides that, I think it should stay outdoors. Its a huge thing for the community when they get to hold the games, especially for the non-metro teams, as it brings a lot of people to the area, a good small economic boost. In my opinion, we beat the NHL to holding these outdoor games, at least on an annual schedule. We held it first and then they copied us. Thats a point of pride in my book.

If you wanted to do a "stadium series" sort of thing, that is ok too, but don't remove HDM from playing outdoors. I am not sure how often teams from the metro area played outdoors, but for the northern teams, at least in my experience, we exclusively practiced outdoors and played most of our games in mini-mites, and mites outdoors at the neighborhood rinks. Squirts got a bit more indoor time, but it wasn't until peewees and bantams that the Duluth kids consolidated into the 2 or 3 bantam teams that we played indoors. Hermantown has numerous outdoor rinks, and the Barn in Cloquet damn near feels like it.

Outdoors is never going to play perfectly with the game, but the respect for the history of our game is what is so important about HDM. Every team makes playoffs, and besides 7AA, coaches should look at HDM as a partial outlier for sections positioning as it's not a perfect environment. Things can happen at any game that we can say, hey let's remove this for sake of injury, like checking, or going to chainlink fencing instead of glass because it can break. Things happen, but if you properly educate the kids and parents, and this whole "I'm afraid my kid will get hurt" mentality gets pushed aside, you will have limited to no injuries or issues. When was the last time a kid got injured directly because of HDM? I don't remember any.

I realize that this was the coldest on record, and there should be a point where we say its too cold, say -40 WC just like the school districts closed school for cold temps. That's an easy number to associate with. But to just say go inside because it's not perfect, that's just stripping the game from what it was initially supposed to be about.

Let's be real, this is high school hockey, all it takes is a kid catching an edge to give him a concussion, or even more break his neck. We don't need to remove anything that can be dangerous, we just need to better educate those who participate.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:53 am

Slap Shot wrote:

So yeah.
Of course, the writer is not completely accurate.
The games were not played on Lake Bemidji.
The wind chill at the site of the game was no where near -40.
It was cold but I suffered no ill effects just standing around watching.
I am curious if the young man had some exposed skin that caused him to suffer.

Wblhcky2424

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am

Matchups for this coming Hockey Day MN in Minneapolis were announced this morning

Boys

Saturday

Minneapolis vs Warroad 9:30am

Blaine vs Blake 1pm

On the girls side it is

Holy Angels vs Minneapolis 6pm

Grand Rapids-Greenway vs Blake. 8pm

The girls games will be on Thursday Instead of Saturday

kniven

Post by kniven » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm

Wblhcky2424 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am
Matchups for this coming Hockey Day MN in Minneapolis were announced this morning

Boys

Saturday

Blaine vs Blake 1pm

On the girls side it is

Is Blake a MPLS private?

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:22 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:17 pm
Wblhcky2424 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 11:57 am

Boys

Saturday

Blaine vs Blake 1pm

On the girls side it is

Is Blake a MPLS private?
Yes, I think Blake will be a top 5 team this year. Blaine will also be solid, but they have substantial losses to graduation to backfill.

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:42 pm

Awesome for Blake. Basically adjacent to the campus. I was a year early getting so excited about them for 2019. Pretty sure they'll be a top team 2020.
Be kind. Rewind.

MNHockeyFan

Post by MNHockeyFan » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 pm

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:24 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:42 pm
Awesome for Blake. Basically adjacent to the campus. I was a year early getting so excited about them for 2019. Pretty sure they'll be a top team 2020.
Bite your tongue there, good sir. I will not stand for the denizens of this board heaping praise upon my dastardly foes of yore :wink:

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm

Besides , Blake home ice is on the Hopkins campus 🤔

O-townClown

Post by O-townClown » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:01 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm
The school is across the street from Parade Stadium, Parade Park & Parade Ice Garden. Sure looks like a home game.
Be kind. Rewind.

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:59 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:01 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:38 pm
The school is across the street from Parade Stadium, Parade Park & Parade Ice Garden. Sure looks like a home game.
Honest question. So Blake high school (grades 9-12) is on the Northrup campus next to Parade...Why not play high school games there? Or do they? I never knew there was 3 campuses. Only been to the Blake rink in Hopkins and assumed all kids went there (to the school on that site). The more you know I guess 🤷🏼‍♂️