Hockey Day in MN

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

elliott70

Re: Hockey Day in MN

Post by elliott70 »

IT WAS A LOT OF FUN.
Nice crowd.
Cold but wind was not a factor.
Ice was tough as it tended to chip a bit.
But both teams still were fast.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Back later for the Greenway - Bemidji game.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

"HDM: Minnetonka downs Andover 5-2 in battle of top-ranked teams"
FOX Sports North
Jan 19, 2019 at 1:13p ET
https://www.foxsports.com/north/story/h ... ver-011919 (includes video clips of goals)
Hockeyfan911

Post by Hockeyfan911 »

Both teams very good. Likely 1 and 2 after the weekend. Minnetonka goalie is very good as Tonka was outshot by a wide margin. Andover looks like the fastest team in the state top to bottom. Tonka capitalized on Andover penalties along with a goal tending change by Andover which likely doesn’t happen if not HDM.
WestMetro

Post by WestMetro »

Well said Elliott!

Btw- why do the boys have to play at -25 when the girls play at -5 ??? No fair? 😀
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Lostmyedge wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:11 pm
JerseyDave wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:46 pm
Lostmyedge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:34 pm Does anyone know if Andover and Minnetonka have to play both goalies during the game? If so, advantage Huskies!
It's not required, but more of a gentleman's agreement between the coaches in HDM games that everyone gets to play.
So much for “gentlemen’s agreement”. Hats off to Manney for getting both goalies in!
Not sure what happened there. I heard about the "gentleman's agreement" from hockey announcers talking about HDM, not from Coach Goldsworthy. They may have been talking about past HDMs or may have just been wrong. I doubt Goldsworthy would not hold up his end of if they had agreed.
edgeless2

Post by edgeless2 »

Lostmyedge wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:34 pm Does anyone know if Andover and Minnetonka have to play both goalies during the game? If so, advantage Huskies!
It's not required, but more of a gentleman's agreement between the coaches in HDM games that everyone gets to play.

So much for “gentlemen’s agreement”. Hats off to Manney for getting both goalies in!
I agree it’s “a throwaway game in Rochester “, play em all. There has never been a so called gentleman’s agreement in this game. It’s on the individual coaches and splitting time has happened much less than u would think.
between_the_pipes

Post by between_the_pipes »

This is varsity high school hockey and it's number 1 vs. 2. There should be no "gentlemen's agreement". You play your best players to win. It's that simple. Look, I get its a great experience and everything but so is the State Tournament. If Andover makes it to the X in March is the coach going to take out his healthy starting goalie for the third period to allow his backup goalie to get to experience playing in front of 18,000? I don't think so.
northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer »

Knocked er right out of the park Bemidji!!

Great Hockey Day!!!
Hockeyfan911

Post by Hockeyfan911 »

i can see different viewpoints with the decision but comparing a HDM game on outdoor ice in -25 temps to State at the X is a bit of a reach. Both these teams will be just fine as the game has no bearing in their section.
JerseyDave

Post by JerseyDave »

Hockeyfan911 wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:02 pm i can see different viewpoints with the decision but comparing a HDM game on outdoor ice in -25 temps to State at the X is a bit of a reach. Both these teams will be just fine as the game has no bearing in their section.
Maybe no bearing on sections, but possibly a bearing on state tourney seeding, which is a big deal.
Hessian

Post by Hessian »

Greenway showed poor class
ZachHalverson

Post by ZachHalverson »

between_the_pipes wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:29 pm

This is varsity high school hockey and it's number 1 vs. 2. There should be no "gentlemen's agreement". You play your best players to win. It's that simple. Look, I get its a great experience and everything but so is the State Tournament. If Andover makes it to the X in March is the coach going to take out his healthy starting goalie for the third period to allow his backup goalie to get to experience playing in front of 18,000? I don't think so.
The first six words of this post completely contradict the rest of it. This is varsity HIGH SCHOOL hockey. These are kids. Yes, it is to be taken more seriously than a C-Squirt game, but not so much that you treat it as the NHL. Regular season games carry some meaning for sure, but there weren't two points on the line, there weren't any standings on the line and yes, seeding could be affected slightly by it but who cares? It's all a crapshoot anyway once playoffs begin. I am more concerned with a kid getting a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play in a very special game on a very special day than whether I play a randomly selected team at 11 AM or 6 PM.
Corn Cobb

Post by Corn Cobb »

ZachHalverson wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 pm

The first six words of this post completely contradict the rest of it. This is varsity HIGH SCHOOL hockey. These are kids. Yes, it is to be taken more seriously than a C-Squirt game, but not so much that you treat it as the NHL. Regular season games carry some meaning for sure, but there weren't two points on the line, there weren't any standings on the line and yes, seeding could be affected slightly by it but who cares? It's all a crapshoot anyway once playoffs begin. I am more concerned with a kid getting a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play in a very special game on a very special day than whether I play a randomly selected team at 11 AM or 6 PM.
Bravo. Seriously.
goldy313

Post by goldy313 »

They should do more to get more levels involved. Bemidji St playing would have made it better, cripes play a non conference game.

Bemidji did a great job, just going forward since it will be in Minneapolis get a MIAC team game in there.

Also, look at more outstate areas, Southern Minnesota has yet to have a hockey day. John Marshall, Luverne, New Ulm, Mankato, St.Peter, and Winona would all be good choices with high school, college, or junior teams playing in those communities.
Hockeylogger

Post by Hockeylogger »

Park Rapids 3 - Greenway 0
Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 »

Nicely done Bemidji. That was phenomenal!
GopherHockey

Post by GopherHockey »

Pretty much all of this. The game didn’t matter other than for the kids. No problem with throwing in the backup goalie.
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

Unfortunately...I doubt this will be one of the backup goalies finest memories from HS (10 years from now). He goes in after sitting for 2 periods in -20 weather with no warm up shots☝️Accordingly, it’s not surprising he wasn’t sharp & the Skippers pounced...(as they often do in the 3rd period)
inthetwine

Post by inthetwine »

If these 2 teams faceoff again on good ice, I predict a different outcome. I think the bad ice hurt Andovers offense, and helped Tonkas D.
kniven

Post by kniven »

Edina vs. ? In the AA matchup. The Hornets are a must in this Metro Hockey Day aren’t they?

? Vs. ? I have no idea on who the A matchup might be.

And the girls matchup possibilities?
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
karl(east)

Post by karl(east) »

Blake (across the street from Parade) and Minneapolis would seem the obvious choices to play in the AA and A games, respectively. Blake will be good, so they can get them a top-flight opponent. Assuming Edina doesn't have a change of heart, maybe Maple Grove? Benilde?

I'd guess they'll try to get a Greater MN team to play Minneapolis. Alexandria? Warroad? Mankato East?
blueblood

Post by blueblood »

My guesses:

Class A: Mpls vs South St. Paul
Class AA: Brainerd vs Blaine
Play Like a Champion Today
hockey59

Post by hockey59 »

blueblood wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:10 am My guesses:

Class A: Mpls vs South St. Paul
Class AA: Brainerd vs Blaine
Blaine will be WAY down next year & MG will actually be up next year so: Brainerd vs Maple Grove in AA
Zamman

Post by Zamman »

I am going out on a limb here as a home.
Minneapolis vs Holy Angels. Lots of Minneapolis players on Holy Angels and the games against each other are real good.
This past weekend Minneapolis played exceptional against AHA and the game was decided with 18 seconds to go in OT.