Top 5 Goaltenders

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

InThePipes

Re: Top 5 Goaltenders

Post by InThePipes » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:38 am

Into November, it appears that here are the HS Sr from last year who have found a home?

USHL
Boynton – Fargo
NAHL
Glockner - Amarillo
Howe - Jamestown
Welch – Aberdeen
SIJHL
Mueller - WI Lumberjacks

Any others?

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:48 pm

The last I saw, Howe was over 92% with approximately 7 gamesworth of minutes, and he had started a couple in a row instead of rotating with the Rebels returning goalie West. Dont know if West was in injury/illness rest though.

minnscout

Post by minnscout » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:38 am
Into November, it appears that here are the HS Sr from last year who have found a home?

USHL
Boynton – Fargo
NAHL
Glockner - Amarillo
Howe - Jamestown
Welch – Aberdeen
SIJHL
Mueller - WI Lumberjacks

Any others?
Fraga NAHL Kenai

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:16 am

minnscout wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:49 pm
InThePipes wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:38 am

USHL
Boynton – Fargo
NAHL
Glockner - Amarillo
Howe - Jamestown
Welch – Aberdeen
SIJHL
Mueller - WI Lumberjacks

Any others?
Fraga NAHL Kenai
Good catch, missed that one.

goaliedad31

Post by goaliedad31 » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 am

Atticus Kelly on Springfield Jr. Blues, but has been on the IR.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:52 am

goaliedad31 wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:14 am
Atticus Kelly on Springfield Jr. Blues, but has been on the IR.
There are quite a few MN native goalies on NAHL rosters this season, the list directly above was only last years graduates.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:03 am

With the USHL/NAHL drafts now completed, it seems to be another decent year for MNHS goalies moving on to juniors. Too early to tell on how it'll all shake out, but by my count we have the following (apologies if I missed any):

Pinney - tendered to St Cloud of NAHL
Hodges - drafted by Austin in NAHL Supplemental draft
Keopple - drafted by Des Moines of USHL and Amarillo of NAHL
Clafton - drafted by Danbury of NAHL
Hogg (Jr) - drafted by NJ of NAHL

There will likely be a few others who were not drafted that will catch on with Tier II teams as well and probably several others beginning in one of the Tier III leagues. Good luck to everyone!

between_the_pipes

Post by between_the_pipes » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:53 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:03 am
With the USHL/NAHL drafts now completed, it seems to be another decent year for MNHS goalies moving on to juniors. Too early to tell on how it'll all shake out, but by my count we have the following (apologies if I missed any):

There will likely be a few others who were not drafted that will catch on with Tier II teams as well and probably several others beginning in one of the Tier III leagues. Good luck to everyone!
Amarillo with a solid steal in picking up Keopple. Bit surprised he went in the USHL draft, but have heard that the netminder had the choice to attend camp for the bulls and if so, he'd be cleared for a 30 man roster spot if he didn't attend buccaneers' camp. Some may say this is the wrong move but I think it's extremely wise when considering the career from a longer-term point of view.

NAHL continues to show that it tends to be more developmental/friendly for a large majority of goalies, especially for those that have two years or less of eligibility. Boynton/Glockner is great example of two goalies with slightly different paths in their year after graduation.

While this is a high school forum, would be interested in seeing where some of these goaltenders end up! Best of luck to all MN netminders in their pursuit of playing junior hockey!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Worth noting that Miska and Oettinger are suited up as backup goalies in Game 7 today . Avs lead by 1 in mid third

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:58 pm

And now Jake Kielly gets the call up to Canucks playoff roster!

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:20 pm

Oettinger makes nhl debut Tonite and stops all five 3rd period shots , in stars 3-0 losing effort

blueblood

Post by blueblood » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:59 am

Commentators stated Oettinger was 1st goalie in NHL expansion era (1967) to make their debut in the NHL during the playoffs
Play Like a Champion Today

BP

Post by BP » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 am

InThePipes wrote:

Josh Weyandt of Chanhassen has made the St Cloud top 30. They have 3 goalies - including an 04 that is committed to Denver - so most likely Pinney and Weyandt battling it out for the 2nd spot - unless they keep 3.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 am

BP wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:20 am
InThePipes wrote:

Josh Weyandt of Chanhassen has made the St Cloud top 30. They have 3 goalies - including an 04 that is committed to Denver - so most likely Pinney and Weyandt battling it out for the 2nd spot - unless they keep 3.
Who is the '04 goalie?

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:53 am

thefatcat wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:51 am
BP wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

Who is the '04 goalie?
Paxton Geisel

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:13 pm

BP wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

They are a NAHL team. They will keep 3 or 4 goalies at the least.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:30 pm

ThatMNHockeyGuy62 wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 6:13 pm
BP wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

They are a NAHL team. They will keep 3 or 4 goalies at the least.
Is that common for NAHL teams to keep 3-4 goalies? Is it because of injury concerns?

ThatMNHockeyGuy62

Post by ThatMNHockeyGuy62 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:20 pm

Yeah they load up because why not? At least one or two practice goalies but then if they want they can give them games in NA3HL or U18 AAA leagues. NAHL has a great history of developing high end goalies but unfortunately they have a long list of goalies who have been buried on the rosters.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:06 am

InThePipes wrote:

An update as it applies to last year's HS goalies in the Tier I and II levels now that rosters are settling in at those levels:

Weyandt and Pinney - St. Cloud (NAHL)
Hodges - Austin (NAHL)
Keopple - Des Moines (USHL)
Clafton - Minot (NAHL)
Hogg - NJ (NAHL)
Aitken - Bismarck (NAHL)
Rupprecht - Odessa (NAHL)
Manzella - Connecticut (NCDC)

There are also several other goalies from last year in Tier III programs this year that are off to good starts.

BP

Post by BP » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:46 am

InThePipes wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:06 am
InThePipes wrote:

An update as it applies to last year's HS goalies in the Tier I and II levels now that rosters are settling in at those levels:

Weyandt and Pinney - St. Cloud (NAHL)
Hodges - Austin (NAHL)
Keopple - Des Moines (USHL)
Clafton - Minot (NAHL)
Hogg - NJ (NAHL)
Aitken - Bismarck (NAHL)
Rupprecht - Odessa (NAHL)
Manzella - Connecticut (NCDC)

There are also several other goalies from last year in Tier III programs this year that are off to good starts.
Pinney is now with Willmar.

HockeyCrazy1970

Post by HockeyCrazy1970 » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:46 pm