Top 5 Goaltenders

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

O-townClown

Re: Top 5 Goaltenders

Post by O-townClown » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:33 pm

CakeScout,

What was your assessment of Wolfe? I thought he played very well in the games when he was given an opportunity. Surprised he wasn't used more.

As for next year, Sebek is the real deal. Pretty sure he didn't give up at goal at the State tournament and is also at Natty Camp.
Be kind. Rewind.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Well said CakeScout !

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:39 pm

I recall Wolfe was 95% + save percent , so excellent recall OTC! Saw Mrs Wolfe at the X , gave her my compliments on his year also .

But Hogg has had a heckofa summer in terms of looking ahead ...

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:29 am

CakeScout17 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:06 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 pm
If I had to pick top 5 for this season based on what Ive seen in various venues last couple years, in no particular order , it would be Keopple, Weyandt, Hodges, Hogg, and Clafton if he is on his game. CEC Owen Carlson belongs somewhere in the top 10 Id say.
I get that Hogg is pretty good but everyone seems to be jumping on that bandwagon based on a small sample size. Granted it was the state tourney and in particular the championship game....but he was also very prone to giving up "soft" goals on a regular basis during the regular season.
Saw every game he played last year. Home and away. All playoffs. A couple of 'soft' goals? Yeah, there were, mostly in first 1/3 of the season though - as a 1st year starting goalie at EDINA facing a top 5 schedule. He didn't give up the soft goals that Mackay did...holy smokes not even close. What Hogg did do though? Was consistently improve week in and week out, month in and month out...flip side? With that team and that Dcorps in front of him how would one not get better? Flip again? Fantastic end of season, playoffs and state tourney not to mention single-handedly keeping Edina ALIVE in title game vs. EP. This summer? After U17 Dev camp in Amherst, NY? He is now on the TEAM USA U17 Selects squad heading to the Hlinka tourney, etc.

And he's only going to be a junior.
Agree, I saw several games starting with the Turkey Trot through the State Championship game and he made significant improvement over the course of the season and with confidence riding high has carried that into the summer making the Hlinka team. Good for him, that's what life is all about.

thefatcat

Post by thefatcat » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:43 pm

CakeScout17 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:22 pm
thefatcat wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:06 pm
WestMetro wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 pm
If I had to pick top 5 for this season based on what Ive seen in various venues last couple years, in no particular order , it would be Keopple, Weyandt, Hodges, Hogg, and Clafton if he is on his game. CEC Owen Carlson belongs somewhere in the top 10 Id say.
I get that Hogg is pretty good but everyone seems to be jumping on that bandwagon based on a small sample size. Granted it was the state tourney and in particular the championship game....but he was also very prone to giving up "soft" goals on a regular basis during the regular season.
Saw every game he played last year. Home and away. All playoffs. A couple of 'soft' goals? Yeah, there were, mostly in first 1/3 of the season though - as a 1st year starting goalie at EDINA facing a top 5 schedule. He didn't give up the soft goals that Mackay did...holy smokes not even close. What Hogg did do though? Was consistently improve week in and week out, month in and month out...flip side? With that team and that Dcorps in front of him how would one not get better? Flip again? Fantastic end of season, playoffs and state tourney not to mention single-handedly keeping Edina ALIVE in title game vs. EP. This summer? After U17 Dev camp in Amherst, NY? He is now on the TEAM USA U17 Selects squad heading to the Hlinka tourney, etc.

And he's only going to be a junior.
I admittedly only saw him play a handful of times during first half of season so your info is good to know.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 pm

McCarville had a terrible playoff game, but it was his first and in hindsight South was peaking at the right time. Pundit and Weise play in a horrid conference and that helps their numbers but both are very good goalies who are probably knocked down due to where they live. Very unfairly IMHO. Alex Kangas and Adam Hannah(?) both played at high levels coming out of these schools.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:02 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:33 pm
CakeScout,

What was your assessment of Wolfe? I thought he played very well in the games when he was given an opportunity. Surprised he wasn't used more.

As for next year, Sebek is the real deal. Pretty sure he didn't give up at goal at the State tournament and is also at Natty Camp.
Wolfe was decent player. Slated to be the starter heading into spring/summer of '18. However, when I first caught wind of Hogg and watched his highlight reels it was cleary evident that he was the more athletic and quicker goalie (the 'quick twitch' real scouts always talk about)...Hoggs lateral movement was superior as well. I think, just pure conjecture here, but I think it did not help that Wolfe was one of 3 players that had a discplinary issue at start of the season. So missed a few games (3?) at start and Louden given every opportunity to take over and he did. And just kept getting better.
Wolfe was only returning goalie as the 2017-2018 backup to Mackay quit hockey and moved on to Lacrosse. Wolfe serviceable. Played very well at LV South and decent game at Wayzata to close out season, too little too late - Hogg clearly the more gifted with the (here comes pitiable cliche) higher ceiling.

CakeScout17

Post by CakeScout17 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:12 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:33 pm
CakeScout,

Sorry, forgot to address Sebek. Seen Sebek for two years now but only about 5-6 games total. He's good, but have not seen 'dominating', shut down games either...in fact, a few softies here & there to be sure. However, only about 1/2 dozen games and of those? 4 of them versus either MG or Chaska/Chan - and both are loaded at bantam level (esp this past '18-'19 season) so he was going up against top 3 in state very time I saw him. Edina so very good as Bantams last year...ranked #1-#3 all season, but as per usual, just outsized. Teams would get good push up between the dots and just pepper Sebek, so in that regard he has faced onslaughts and never given up more than 3 goals in a game that I can remember. Edina right in all these games - so Sebek is solid. Has room for improvement to be sure. So it will be interesting to see how it all plays out the November - should be the backup to Hogg though. Overall good skills, lateral speed needs work and maybe a quicker glove...only things that stick out. Confidence is there w/ that calm demeanor.

Then next in line at Edina is Robert Clarkowski. Seen him 2-3 times but such a small sample and so young (1st year Bantam in '19?) that it wouldn't be fair to comment. He will be on the BEL minor team this August and will be on a very good Edina Bantam A team as their starting G.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm

Let’s hope Elite League goalie selection is more accurate this year . As far as I know, the only two 2018-19 season goalies that have already officially made their junior teams for next season are Boynton and Howe , neither of which played in the elite league last year . They were teammates on the very successful U18 blades

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 pm

WestMetro wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 pm
Let’s hope Elite League goalie selection is more accurate this year . As far as I know, the only two 2018-19 season goalies that have already officially made their junior teams for next season are Boynton and Howe , neither of which played in the elite league last year . They were teammates on the very successful U18 blades
I'm going to guess that Glockner and Welch will ultimately land somewhere as well, but you are correct that there were some very "interesting" selections last year. There are obviously times when there is more to the story behind the scenes that provides additional explanation, but I still haven't heard anything.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:10 am

goldy313 wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:20 pm
McCarville had a terrible playoff game, but it was his first and in hindsight South was peaking at the right time. Pundit and Weise play in a horrid conference and that helps their numbers but both are very good goalies who are probably knocked down due to where they live. Very unfairly IMHO. Alex Kangas and Adam Hannah(?) both played at high levels coming out of these schools.
I think we can all agree that great goalies can come from anywhere (Lake of the Woods, North Branch, Windom, etc.). There is also little debate that the goalies you mention do play weaker schedules, but at least a couple of them have been involved in HP programs in the past, so there has been some visibility through that.

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:35 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:31 pm
WestMetro wrote:
I'm going to guess that Glockner and Welch will ultimately land somewhere as well, but you are correct that there were some very "interesting" selections last year. There are obviously times when there is more to the story behind the scenes that provides additional explanation, but I still haven't heard anything.
Sure, but I also think you have to account for the fact that two of the top goaltenders – Fritsinger and Mueller – have decided not to continue playing beyond high school. Both likely would have ended up on junior rosters had they chosen to pursue that route.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:10 am

Stang5280 wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 12:35 pm
InThePipes wrote:
WestMetro wrote:
Sure, but I also think you have to account for the fact that two of the top goaltenders – Fritsinger and Mueller – have decided not to continue playing beyond high school. Both likely would have ended up on junior rosters had they chosen to pursue that route.

Will Johnson from LVN to Lone Star Brahmas

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 am

InThePipes wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:10 am
Stang5280 wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

He might be rostered - he will be fighting Jake Begley (2nd rd draft pick this year, 2 years of USHL experience and fighting for a D1 spot in his last year of junior eligibility) and Brandon Benson (Blaine HS/ Sioux Falls power u16- tendered mid-season). If all 3 indeed are there and rostered - I’d give the edge to the latter 2.

NAHL teams always stack the goalies. The Magicians had Haider, Robbel, Mitchell James and Conan Hayton to start the season. The latter 2 played a combined 2 games (James played both while Robbel was injured). Both were cut when Robbel returned. Juniors is a tough deal.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:59 am
InThePipes wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

He might be rostered - he will be fighting Jake Begley (2nd rd draft pick this year, 2 years of USHL experience and fighting for a D1 spot in his last year of junior eligibility) and Brandon Benson (Blaine HS/ Sioux Falls power u16- tendered mid-season). If all 3 indeed are there and rostered - I’d give the edge to the latter 2.

NAHL teams always stack the goalies. The Magicians had Haider, Robbel, Mitchell James and Conan Hayton to start the season. The latter 2 played a combined 2 games (James played both while Robbel was injured). Both were cut when Robbel returned. Juniors is a tough deal.
Good insight, you're correct, I forgot about the Benson tender

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:26 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 am
612hockeytown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

Good insight, you're correct, I forgot about the Benson tender
I think the NCDC might be a better spot for him at this juncture in his goalie career. It’s where Conan Hayton went after he was cut. It’ll be hard to get ahead of those two when one has lots of junior experience and Benson has one year of HS and one solid year of U16 tier 1 experience.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 am

612hockeytown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

I'm hearing rumblings that suggest his roster spot may be "real"?

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:50 pm

InThePipes wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:02 am
612hockeytown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:

I'm hearing rumblings that suggest his roster spot may be "real"?
Could be? Teams will make most cuts after the NAHL showcase in Blaine. Some teams carry 3-4 goalies. I’ll believe it after October 1st. If he makes it - great! Need more Minnesota representatives across the junior leagues.

Keopple was cut from Sioux City, so I expect him back with Hill Murray (and Team Wisconsin for Elite League).

Waiting to hear if Boynton officially made Fargo. Some rumblings that they have 3 goalies. Don’t have names.

Sioux Falls will have Aaron Randazzo and then either Nate Reid (Fairbanks-NAHL) or Kyle McLellen (Austin - NAHL).

Sioux City - Haider and the other spot offered to Illinois goalie Aiden Harper.

Madison - Garrett Mackay - and hard time finding a second goalie since they apparently refuse to buy anything for their goalies. Ugly situation with that club. Word is the rest of the league is hoping the USHL ceases control of the team from the Suter family.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:28 am

Any updates on local graduating goalies who are in the mix at Jr teams for this coming season?

Boynton – Fargo
Howe - Jamestown
Welch – Aberdeen
Johnson – Lone Star
Haugen – Magicians

Others?

Stang5280

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Contrary to my previous bad Intel, it appears that Nathan Mueller (Buffalo) has landed with the expansion Wisconsin Lumberjacks of the SIJHL.

WestMetro

Post by WestMetro » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:32 pm

Glockner Amarillo

Incredible that three Tonka youth goalies of same age are still advancing their careers. Real tribute to Tonka organization, Dave R , and families . When is last time this happened -never?

612hockeytown

Post by 612hockeytown » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm

Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm
Contrary to my previous bad Intel, it appears that Nathan Mueller (Buffalo) has landed with the expansion Wisconsin Lumberjacks of the SIJHL.
Good for him. He was spotted at the Kenai River camp at Champlin. Word has it Danny Fraga has made Brown Bears team.

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:21 am

612hockeytown wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:49 pm
Stang5280 wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm
Good for him. He was spotted at the Kenai River camp at Champlin. Word has it Danny Fraga has made Brown Bears team.
Good for these young men! As you've previously pointed out the battle likely continues for several of them into October, but it's good to see them in the mix.

goldy313

Post by goldy313 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:18 am

Strange how McCarville is disregarded. He had a bad playoff game against a hot and experienced South team. My guess if Hastings was in 4AA he would be a top 5 goalie but since he is in 1AA he must suck. Go figure the bias here. Alex Kangas is one of the top Gopher goalies, Charlie Lindgren played in the NHL but heck 1AA goalies are inherently bad....

InThePipes

Post by InThePipes » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:32 am

612hockeytown wrote:
InThePipes wrote:
Stang5280 wrote:

Begley headed to the CCHL? I've also heard Benson may not play there either?