Dismal 2019 for Range Hockey

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

grindiangrad-80

Re: Dismal 2019 for Range Hockey

Post by grindiangrad-80 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:38 pm
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:23 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 am

If they keep scheduling Hermantown for two games you can probably forget the #2 seed. QRF is not friendly to playing A teams, especially when you lose. Rapids has an advantage over Cloquet and Marshall because they don't have to schedule them for conference play. Might want to think about taking advantage of that...
I'm not in the know by any means but I would think Rapids feels it is best for Rapids to schedule 2 games a year within an hour and a half drive against a team as good as Hermantown. I'm guessing that they feel that playing against that caliber of a team twice is more important than how they are seeded at the end of the year. I doubt that whether or not they think Hermantown should play A or AA is a factor in their scheduling decision.

Again, I could be way off base, but that is just my hunch. I am not trying to be argumentative. Just my 2 cents.
I'm sure you're correct. My response was to DJ about competing for a #2 seed. That makes it unlikely when using QRF. They only play East, Brainerd and Bemidji once per year. All same or closer in distance.
I hear you. That makes sense.

GoldenBear

Post by GoldenBear » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:59 pm

One of my fondest high school hockey memories watching games in front of a full house at Rapids. GB

TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Jeffy95 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:
Jeffy95 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:40 am

If they keep scheduling Hermantown for two games you can probably forget the #2 seed. QRF is not friendly to playing A teams, especially when you lose. Rapids has an advantage over Cloquet and Marshall because they don't have to schedule them for conference play. Might want to think about taking advantage of that...
I'm not in the know by any means but I would think Rapids feels it is best for Rapids to schedule 2 games a year within an hour and a half drive against a team as good as Hermantown. I'm guessing that they feel that playing against that caliber of a team twice is more important than how they are seeded at the end of the year. I doubt that whether or not they think Hermantown should play A or AA is a factor in their scheduling decision.

Again, I could be way off base, but that is just my hunch. I am not trying to be argumentative. Just my 2 cents.
I'm sure you're correct. My response was to DJ about competing for a #2 seed. That makes it unlikely when using QRF. They only play East, Brainerd and Bemidji once per year. All same or closer in distance.
If they play twice again Rapids will win one of those games. QRF or not, they’ll compete for a top 2 seed and be a legit threat to go to state next season.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine

kniven

Post by kniven » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:47 pm

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:31 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:

If they play twice again Rapids will win one of those games. QRF or not, they’ll compete for a top 2 seed and be a legit threat to go to state next season.
The Indians are definitely in play for the #3 seed this year. And by the way their BantamAA”s are playing this year, they will be definitely legit vs. anybody in 7AA next year.
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️

PuckRanger

Post by PuckRanger » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:44 pm

ShakestheClown wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 am
ironranger2 wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:09 am
According to MN Hockey Hub, four of the players puckranger lists have been in all 17 games and two others have been in 16 games. Injuries happen. Except for Hermantown, no team in this section is very deep. Every team has kids playing hurt right now.
I wouldn't trust the Hub's game play count. I know from experience that players who are not even suited up, but rostered, are credited with playing in games.
The game count isn't even close, there are kids on Virginia's roster listed with double digits games played and they have never seen the ice. 3 seniors (Moreland, Zupetz, Bonicatto) have missed more than 20 games combined with injuries or illness. Bonicatto is back now, but Kilen and Chesser are now out as well. These are injuries, not suspensions.

There has been only one major penalty that caused a contributing senior to miss a game against Greenway earlier this year, and even that call was questionable. Those discipline problems have been quenched for the most part by the new coach. How many Virginia games have you actually watched, ironranger2? Those stats you rattled off from the hockey hub don't tell much of the real story. Look deeper and see who those penalty minutes are attributed to, and you will see they aren't relevant to any significant loss of playing time from the higher end players.

The bottom line is that a junior (Kilen) and a sophomore (Okland) are leading the team in points, when it was supposed be those seniors who can't seem to stay healthy. Virginia does not have that high end guy who can carry a team. The closest they have is Moreland, and he has missed almost half the season now. They need all those bodies to compete and win. If you take any class A team, with maybe the exception of Hermantown, and remove a top D and 4 of your top 6 forwards, you will struggle. Its not rocket science.

The best quote I've ever heard about high school hockey and who leads your team is if you have sophomores, you struggle; if you have juniors, you compete; and if you have seniors, you win. Right now with the barrage of injuries, Virginia is leaning heavily on the sophomores. IF the team ever reverts back to a healthy senior led team, they will be the team everyone expected them to be before the season started. That's all I'm saying.

Jeffy95

Post by Jeffy95 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:24 am

TheHockeyDJ wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:31 pm
Jeffy95 wrote:
grindiangrad-80 wrote:

I really like that answer DJ. I've always been a huge fan of Rapids and always will be. Anything I can say to get you posting is a benefit to the community.

northwoods oldtimer

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:00 am

Greenway has one lone goal in its last 9 periods of play.

I sure expected them to take another big step in 2019 but it has been a season filled scoring drought.

elliott70

Post by elliott70 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:49 am

Lets Play Hockey rankings
I see GRapids in Bantam AA and Greenway in peewee A.
I don't see any other IRange teams listed in AA A or B1.