Roseau at Moorhead 1-22-19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

Who wins? Roseau or Moorhead

Poll ended at Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am

Roseau
33%
Moorhead
67%
Tie
No votes

Total votes: 18

elliott70

Roseau at Moorhead 1-22-19

Post by elliott70 »

Who wins? Roseau or Moorhead?
kniven

Re: Roseau at Moorhead 1-22-19

Post by kniven »

elliott70 wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:31 am Who wins? Roseau or Moorhead?

Roseau beats the Forhead Puddle Munchers....
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
TheHockeyDJ

Post by TheHockeyDJ »

If these two are in the final I wish it were in Bemidji. But I’m sure they’ll choose TRF.
YouTube.com/BarbellMedicine
Green and White Fan

Post by Green and White Fan »

Pretty good game last night. I expected more from Moorhead after the drubbing in Roseau. Moorhead may have had players missing too, but Roseau being without a first line winger had ample chance to win that game. It was unfortunate that a Moorhead player had to spend the night trying to prove he is as good as Aaron Huglen, (which he isn't) and cheapshotted Huglen with a crosscheck to the head at the face off circle. Still a bit confused on how that at minimum wasn't a 5:00 minute major. I still believe the one seed is up in the air, with Brainerd still in the mix having to play both teams yet.
We've got 7 yes we do, we've got 7, how about you!
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

Waaaaaah - check the scoreboard, the Sheep's 11 game streak is over !
Green and White Fan

I looked hard for the banners again last night. Where do you hide them???
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Green and White Fan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am I looked hard for the banners again last night. Where do you hide them???
:D
kniven

Post by kniven »

Green and White Fan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:51 am I looked hard for the banners again last night. Where do you hide them???
😮. Forehead rocks!!
“218 hockey” Boys of the NOrth ❤️
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

Green and White Fan wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:52 am Still a bit confused on how that at minimum wasn't a 5:00 minute major.
You mean like the crosscheck that the Rams player gave the Spud player in retaliation? If the first one was a 5:00 minute major, so was the retaliation. They both got 2:00 minors. Just let it go.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
Green and White Fan

Head contact, look it up? Whatever, it had very little bearing on the outcome of the game, just making the point that it was a good clean game other than that cheapshot! Would one of your players not retaliate if another player cross checked the Spuds best player in the head with the only possible reason was intent to injure. Admit it was a bush league cheap play.
CitiesSpudsGuy

Post by CitiesSpudsGuy »

And there was no high shot in the retaliation crosscheck or intent to injure there? Since when is retaliating NOT a penalty? I guess when you wear a Rams jersey it's not?

Like I said, just let it go.
50+ years of Spuds Hockey
7TIMECHAMPS

Post by 7TIMECHAMPS »

CitiesSpudsGuy wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:00 pm And there was no high shot in the retaliation crosscheck or intent to injure there? Since when is retaliating NOT a penalty? I guess when you wear a Rams jersey it's not?

Like I said, just let it go.
Just for context the first crosscheck the players were away from the play with Huglen face down on the ice and said Moorhead player basically bending over top of him and cross checking him in the head/neck/upper back. The second cross check was face to face and is more or less the kind of stuff you see in front of the net all the time. Also likely an emotional response to one of the dirtier hits I have seen in recent years. And the second cross check was by a player about 4 inches shorter and 50 lbs lighter than the Moorhead player. So draw your own conclusion as to what the calls should have been etc I don’t care. Both players technically crosschecked but one was dirtier by quite a wide margin in my opinion.

I may even be able to get a hold of the video and then people can just form their own opinions on it. May be best if I can find it.

I heard Moorhead people wondering out loud what he was thinking right after it happened.

Conclusion would be officiating was good and Moorhead played a good game and won. But to say those cross checks were equal is an inaccurate representation.
SPUDNUT

Post by SPUDNUT »

:cry:
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

I'd agree for the most part with 7times and GnWs description of the cross checking situation. The cross checking on Huglen was dumb and senseless. To say it was one of the dirtiest hits a guy has seen in years would classify as a Preposterous Statement of the Year candidate, but it was senseless. The retaliation was also a bad move. It was definitely more of a reaction and less of a dirty play than the original cross checks on Huglen. The penalties were called correctly though IMHO. The cross checks on Huglen, while cheap, didn't classify as a major. And you had to call the retaliation. The Moorhead players helmet ended up coming half way off his head. From my seat it looked like there was more head contact in the retaliation than there was in the original hits on Huglen so I'm not sure that's a good argument, but I could be wrong as it happened fast. While it's unfortunate that the initiating player isn't penalized more severely than the player that retaliates, and I can see the frustration from it, we see this same situation play itself out in most hockey games. It's just the way it is.

I do think Green and Whites description of the flow of the game Is off target. The game was quite a bit more in favor of The Spuds territorially and in terms of scoring chances than he described it, mainly in the second and third periods......but pretty sure I'm not going to change his mind so I'll save my breath. I think Moorhead was also missing a key player as well as one of their top pair Dmen was out of the lineup last night. Either way it was a very good atmosphere for a high school hockey game and a fun night to be at the rink.
Green and White Fan

You are correct, you won't change my mind. My comparison was to the two games these teams played as far as looking forward to seeding and the fact that Moorhead did not make a convincing statement that if they both end with 1 section loss, they would automatically get a 1 seed. This is based on a one goal game with an empty netter and shots nearly even. I expected more out of the Spuds, being at home with a burr under their backside. I left feeling that we definitely have a good chance if we were to meet again. There is a lot of hockey still to be played and their are certainly no guarantees that either of those two teams will be in the section final.I am curious who was out of the Moorhead line up as I had heard someone might have been missing because of a concussion?
Section 8 guy

Post by Section 8 guy »

ive got $5 that says you argue with yourself if there's no one around.......