Class A Top 20 1/27/19

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

BSUBeaver

Re: Class A Top 20 1/27/19

Post by BSUBeaver »

Mite-dad wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:34 am
BSUBeaver wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 am
zooomx wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:36 pm

Agreed on most of this except, of course, section 6 having a clear favorite. Last year was not necessarily a fluke. The team that beat SCC and Hermantown last year is pretty much in tact and healthy. I know you are kind of saying a similar thing, but I would call 6A a toss up before I would call 5A a toss up. [-X
Agree! Section 6 has a strong possibility of being a wild one. It will be interesting to see if the injury to Warner at SCC (talked about in the Injury Thread) keeps him out or if he will play through it. And the projected semifinal between Alex and Sartell could really be a barn burner. I have that semifinal date on my calendar, hopefully Alex gets the two seed and home ice.
Aren't semifinal games at the MAC? No home ice advantage (except for SCC).
Yep! This cold is getting to my brain...... Ugh..... :oops:
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

BSUBeaver wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:04 am
BSUBeaver wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:25 am

Agree! Section 6 has a strong possibility of being a wild one. It will be interesting to see if the injury to Warner at SCC (talked about in the Injury Thread) keeps him out or if he will play through it. And the projected semifinal between Alex and Sartell could really be a barn burner. I have that semifinal date on my calendar, hopefully Alex gets the two seed and home ice.
Yes, in Section 6A, the only teams that get a home game in the semi-finals and final is basically Cathedral and to some extent Sartell. Apollo used to have it good too until they merged with Tech and went AA. We don't believe in neutral site games in our section for hockey I guess.
BobSaget

Post by BobSaget »

zooomx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 am
Yes, in Section 6A, the only teams that get a home game in the semi-finals and final is basically Cathedral and to some extent Sartell. Apollo used to have it good too until they merged with Tech and went AA. We don't believe in neutral site games in our section for hockey I guess.
I can't think of any arenas in the area that could handle the amount of fans aside from the MAC, Alex, and SCSU. With SCSU being olympic sized ice (and probably too large capacity wise), it'll probably never end up there. Thought this year was Alexandria's turn in the 6A rotation, but I am clearly mistaken.
zooomx

Post by zooomx »

BobSaget wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am

I can't think of any arenas in the area that could handle the amount of fans aside from the MAC, Alex, and SCSU. With SCSU being olympic sized ice (and probably too large capacity wise), it'll probably never end up there. Thought this year was Alexandria's turn in the 6A rotation, but I am clearly mistaken.
There is no rotation. Alex has had it once in the past 10 years, and that year they switched the finals to the MAC. Willmar could be an option.
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

zooomx wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:57 am
BobSaget wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:15 am

There is no rotation. Alex has had it once in the past 10 years, and that year they switched the finals to the MAC. Willmar could be an option.
The best option, IMVHO, is to not place a team in that section if the venue is home ice for that team.
elliott70

Post by elliott70 »

Would Brainerd work??
Mite-dad

Post by Mite-dad »

elliott70 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:09 am Would Brainerd work??
I don't think there is enough seating capacity.
BSUBeaver

Post by BSUBeaver »

Willmar is probably the only arena "close by" that offers a decent seating capacity and isn't a home rink. But that would be a drive for the northern teams, just like St. Cloud is a drive for the western teams. Alexandria is probably the most central with a decent seating capacity, but then we are right back into the whole home rink argument as we have with the MAC.