Seldom noticed and under rated

The Latest 400 or so Topics

Moderators: Mitch Hawker, east hockey, karl(east)

PuckNA
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by PuckNA » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 am

Question, who have you seen this year that is under rated and not getting the accolades, but are really quality players? We see all the top teams guys and guys who look better around the top talent, but what about the guys in struggling or down programs? We can all look at points, but that's not always an indicator, who have you guys seen that made you say... hmmmm....

That guy for that thing
Posts: 211
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:54 pm
Location: Hinckley

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by That guy for that thing » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:16 am

Not sure I would call them struggling or down this year, but Duluth Denfeld is having and an uncharacteristically good year this year compared to their previous few years. They are eld by a good group of seniors that have been together for a while. Budislavich, Decaro, Lehet, Shea, and Shykes are some that come to mind right away, but there are a few others that have been playing really good hockey. They are doing well this year in 7A because those seniors have been fighting through the past few rough years, and becoming a tight-knit group from it all.
Last edited by That guy for that thing on Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Next One
Posts: 61
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:17 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by The Next One » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:16 am

Didn't they just lose to pine city??!!

Northernlakes
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by Northernlakes » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:53 am

by The Next One » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:16 pm

Didn't they just lose to pine city??!!



Pine City was not a good loss. They did put up 50 shots. I would not expect that to happen again. Hopefully that loss will be a good lesson for those boys in Maroon and Gold.

kniven
Posts: 2477
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by kniven » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm

PuckNA wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 am
Question, who have you seen this year that is under rated and not getting the accolades, but are really quality players? We see all the top teams guys and guys who look better around the top talent, but what about the guys in struggling or down programs? We can all look at points, but that's not always an indicator, who have you guys seen that made you say... hmmmm....
Winona

Stang5280
Posts: 868
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by Stang5280 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Nathan Mueller, Buffalo goalie. Six shutouts, albeit against weaker competition, and .932 save percentage. He has kept Buffalo close in just about every game, but they haven’t been able to seize more opportunities for wins, especially in sectional play.

kniven
Posts: 2477
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by kniven » Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:53 pm

kniven wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:58 pm
PuckNA wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:43 am
Question, who have you seen this year that is under rated and not getting the accolades, but are really quality players? We see all the top teams guys and guys who look better around the top talent, but what about the guys in struggling or down programs? We can all look at points, but that's not always an indicator, who have you guys seen that made you say... hmmmm....
Winona
Winona ha talent but has struggled this year. Top line is very crafty and goalie is smart between the pipes.

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:23 pm

I’ll bite ;)
Kron
Thoreson
Jones
Clough
Chartier

muckandgrinder65
Posts: 180
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:06 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by muckandgrinder65 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:29 pm

Sorry I missed the struggling part.

O-townClown
Posts: 3672
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by O-townClown » Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:05 am

I've seen some very good players that have not been getting the recognition they should. First one that comes to mind is Adam Eisele from Stillwater. He has 3 & 3 for 6 points in the Hockey For Life event over Christmas break, which is even more impressive when considering the Ponies only scored 8 goals.

Four points last night in the win over Eden Prairie.

In my opinion he was one of the better players in the entire 8 team tournment. No love like Jutting, the Chaska commits, Christy, Schneider but he's having just as good of a season. 18-16=34 in 21 games. Team has scored 87 goals.
Be kind. Rewind.

PuckNA
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by PuckNA » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 am

Some I've seen:

Burnsville: Grant Ahcan, Junior, crafty hard nosed player, small stature but obvious hockey sense and scoring ability
Prior Lake: Matt Beaty, Sophmore, guy you like on your team but hate to play against. Always around puck and nipping at your heels.
South St. Paul: Owen Ramirez, Junior, Crafty D man with really good feet, smart player good offensive skill
Champlin Park: Tanner Thompson, Sophmore, small, crafty, feet always moving. Good vision.
Centennial: Henry Bartle, Sophmore, big forward, really good hands, can shoot, needs work on defense, but deceptive shot and accurate.
Centennial: Anthony LeMire, Sophmore, Physically strong, plays mean, forward type hands, quick feet, and smart with puck
Roseville: Joey O'neill, Sophmore, Good size, good hands, plays physical, good passer, shoots well.
Coon Rapids: AJ/Tommy Carls, Jr and Freshman, play well together, younger one is edgier, older has good hands and speed, scorers

TheNightman
Posts: 469
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by TheNightman » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 am

I really like the two senior D men Jake Klein and Spencer Millard for White Bear. The forward group probably gets more attention but those two are both really solid and fly under the radar, they just don't put up big numbers. Klein is more of a do everything, every situation type of guy while Millard is a big, physical, shutdown guy.

northwoods oldtimer
Posts: 2425
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:01 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by northwoods oldtimer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:35 am

TheNightman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 am
I really like the two senior D men Jake Klein and Spencer Millard for White Bear. The forward group probably gets more attention but those two are both really solid and fly under the radar, they just don't put up big numbers. Klein is more of a do everything, every situation type of guy while Millard is a big, physical, shutdown guy.
Good call out @TheNightman
I like your scouting report. No team achieves success without these types of defenders.
Supposedly the game has "evolved" but you don't go anywhere in playoffs with out big studs who can do the tough work in D zone.
All one needs to do is look at MN Wild defense personnel. They ain't, as an entire unit, up to play off hockey #-o

Wblhcky2424
Posts: 252
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:53 am

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by Wblhcky2424 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:23 pm

TheNightman wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:32 am
I really like the two senior D men Jake Klein and Spencer Millard for White Bear. The forward group probably gets more attention but those two are both really solid and fly under the radar, they just don't put up big numbers. Klein is more of a do everything, every situation type of guy while Millard is a big, physical, shutdown guy.

Agreed, Klein is having a great senior year and his offense has been coming along nicely as the year has progressed. What I like about Spencer "The Sheriff" Millard is he is able to recover quickly if he makes a mistake (which doesn't happen a lot), that long reach of his is huge for the Bears. I'd also add Cooper Anderson to the list, very solid defenseman and is great at keeping the puck in the offensive zone.

HappyHockeyFan
Posts: 923
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:55 pm
Location: Lakeville

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by HappyHockeyFan » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Rosemount - Jake Ratzlaff (D) (Sophomore)- Minnesota Gopher commit
Rosemount - Luke Levondowski (F) (Sophomore) - Wisconsin Badgers Commit
It's not the Best players, it's the Right players! HB

zooomx
Posts: 405
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by zooomx » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Doherty (senior), Westlund (senior), Strong (Junior) line in Alex get a lot of fanfare locally but don't hear much about them statewide. They outplayed the top lines (heralded prospects) of Cathedral and Hermantown last year on big stages. Having big years once again. Doherty, especially, works so hard in all areas of the ice and shares the puck so well. Strong and Westlund can flat out score. They can pretty much play with anyone.

O-townClown
Posts: 3672
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by O-townClown » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 pm

HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:24 pm
Rosemount - Jake Ratzlaff (D) (Sophomore)- Minnesota Gopher commit
Rosemount - Luke Levondowski (F) (Sophomore) - Wisconsin Badgers Commit
I'm not sure how sophomores already committed to top-tier B1G programs are either "seldom noticed" or "underrated".
Be kind. Rewind.

O-townClown
Posts: 3672
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:22 pm
Location: Typical homeboy from the O-Town

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by O-townClown » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 pm

I saw the scorer from Forest Lake in the Spring tryout process for USA Hockey Natty Camp. Dalton Saltness I think? I know he's scoring for the HS team this year. I'd say he's underrated. If I recall, he led the tryout in scoring and didn't get an invite to Nattys. I'm probably wrong, but I recall something like that.
Be kind. Rewind.

InThePipes
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:26 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by InThePipes » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 am

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:53 pm
HappyHockeyFan wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:24 pm
Rosemount - Jake Ratzlaff (D) (Sophomore)- Minnesota Gopher commit
Rosemount - Luke Levondowski (F) (Sophomore) - Wisconsin Badgers Commit
I'm not sure how sophomores already committed to top-tier B1G programs are either "seldom noticed" or "underrated".
:lol:

OBOY
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:04 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by OBOY » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 pm

O-townClown wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:55 pm
I saw the scorer from Forest Lake in the Spring tryout process for USA Hockey Natty Camp. Dalton Saltness I think? I know he's scoring for the HS team this year. I'd say he's underrated. If I recall, he led the tryout in scoring and didn't get an invite to Nattys. I'm probably wrong, but I recall something like that.


Dalton Saltness forsure! I believe he signed tender with The Wilderness in the NAHL next year.

Zack Anderson (Eastview). Zack had early season injury in which Eastview went 1-8 to start the season, since his return Eastview is 11-2-1!

Mason Plante (Marshall). States leading scorer, he is a gifted goal scorer. his compete level is off the charts and he can be physical to. If he were playing AA he would be a 45-50 point kid.

Mason Campbell (Rosemount). The Irish have a great D-core and all 4 are Jr’s! They are a top 5 group in the state. Next year they will probably be the best group in the state. Mason’s hockey mind is off the charts, great skater and has 20 points from the point.

Connor Kenefick (Rosemount). Connor is very fast, has a great quick release on his shot. Led Rosemount in scoring as a sophomore and was offensive MVP for the Irish last year in their 20+ win season. Connor is deadly with Luke Levandowski on the kill. They have 8 or 9 shorthanded goals this year.

Austen Humphrey (Elk River). Big, strong and powerful kid. Austen is a natural goal scorer. Austen will probably end up playing Jr’s next year and will play college hockey.


Nick Sheirk (Eagan). Really sad that he broke his leg or foot in practice and that will end his HS Career! Nick has gifted hands and I believe pushing 40+ points this year. With Nick in the lineup Eagan would’ve been a threat to to got state. (They still are). But Nick is a game changer.

elliott70
Posts: 13098
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:47 pm
Location: Bemidji

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by elliott70 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Jorgensen of Bemidji

Lostmyedge
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:10 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by Lostmyedge » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:43 am

Roberts of Champlin Park - 34 goals, including 6 hat tricks.

hockey59
Posts: 1328
Joined: Mon May 22, 2006 11:01 am

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by hockey59 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am

Lostmyedge wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:43 am
Roberts of Champlin Park - 34 goals, including 6 hat tricks.
The kid is having a sensational year! Looks like a 20 win season for CP! Happy for Roberts, Bouyton & co 👍

MWS coach
Posts: 299
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:31 am

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by MWS coach » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:37 am

hockey59 wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:32 am
Lostmyedge wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:43 am
Roberts of Champlin Park - 34 goals, including 6 hat tricks.
The kid is having a sensational year! Looks like a 20 win season for CP! Happy for Roberts, Bouyton & co 👍
Bold prediction that CP takes down Blaine tonight?

OldManRiver
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:31 pm

Re: Seldom noticed and under rated

Post by OldManRiver » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:53 pm

PuckNA wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:52 am
Some I've seen:

Burnsville: Grant Ahcan, Junior, crafty hard nosed player, small stature but obvious hockey sense and scoring ability
Prior Lake: Matt Beaty, Sophmore, guy you like on your team but hate to play against. Always around puck and nipping at your heels.
South St. Paul: Owen Ramirez, Junior, Crafty D man with really good feet, smart player good offensive skill
Champlin Park: Tanner Thompson, Sophmore, small, crafty, feet always moving. Good vision.
Centennial: Henry Bartle, Sophmore, big forward, really good hands, can shoot, needs work on defense, but deceptive shot and accurate.
Centennial: Anthony LeMire, Sophmore, Physically strong, plays mean, forward type hands, quick feet, and smart with puck
Roseville: Joey O'neill, Sophmore, Good size, good hands, plays physical, good passer, shoots well.
Coon Rapids: AJ/Tommy Carls, Jr and Freshman, play well together, younger one is edgier, older has good hands and speed, scorers
IMHO, and unfortunately for the few Cardinal faithful, if the coaching situation doesn't change over at Coon Rapids, you won't see Tommy and AJ Carls playing in the high school ranks much longer (at least in this program).

Post Reply